Couldnt Say It Better

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

No. 14: Bears - RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

Rashard Mendenhall may just be the best running back in the draft. (Doug Pensinger / Getty Images)

The Monsters of the Midway need to rebuild an aging and ineffective offensive line, so they're disappointed to see both Ryan Clady and Chris Williams off the board. Even though GM Jerry Angelo drafted Cedric Benson at No. 4 overall just three years ago, this running game is in need of a major boost. Mendenhall is a local product who starred at Niles West High School, and his presence will allow offensive coordinator Ron Turner to get back to the two-pronged ground game that was so successful in 2006 with Benson and the departed Thomas Jones. — John Crist, BearReport.com

Rashard Mendenhall may just be the best running back in the draft. (Doug Pensinger / Getty Images)

The Monsters of the Midway need to rebuild an aging and ineffective offensive line, so they're disappointed to see both Ryan Clady and Chris Williams off the board. Even though GM Jerry Angelo drafted Cedric Benson at No. 4 overall just three years ago, this running game is in need of a major boost. Mendenhall is a local product who starred at Niles West High School, and his presence will allow offensive coordinator Ron Turner to get back to the two-pronged ground game that was so successful in 2006 with Benson and the departed Thomas Jones. — John Crist, BearReport.com

That doesn't seem to make sense to me. I thought Mendenhall was considered a powerful inside runner with a little burst on the outside?

If Mendenhall is drafted, it's as a replacement for Benson, not a counter-part in a thunder and thunder attack.

Mendenhall in the 1st with Oline in Rd 2/3 equals about 1300 yds IMO.

Otah or Williams plus an OG in Rd 2 plus any of Forte/Charles/Smith/Rice/insert any 3rd Rb name equals 1300 for years to come.

So if there's no net gain in rushing yards why not grab the better runner? With the Rd 1 OT upgrade our passing game also improves significantly. With option 1 it does not IMO.

Otah or Williams plus an OG in Rd 2 plus any of Forte/Charles/Smith/Rice/insert any 3rd Rb name equals 1300 for years to come.

So if there's no net gain in rushing yards why not grab the better runner? With the Rd 1 OT upgrade our passing game also improves significantly. With option 1 it does not IMO.

DING DING DING!!!! What do we have for him Johnny!?

It makes sense to me...

Mendenhall can do similar to what TJ and benson did together. He's versatile...he has power, speed, and moves.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me. I thought Mendenhall was considered a powerful inside runner with a little burst on the outside?

If Mendenhall is drafted, it's as a replacement for Benson, not a counter-part in a thunder and thunder attack.

Sold! :headbang

Sorry...it's early here on the west coast...

Is your final call that you take OL over RB?

Did you just refer to benson and a rook as thunder to thunder attack?

If we draft mendenhall he would be the thunder (although quick and powerful) and wolfe would be the lightning. Benson is more like heat lighting. His position with this team should be just as brief, and if we upgrade our oline with clady/albert and a g in the 2nd or 3rd everyone will see it and stop using a poor oline as his excuse. He just doesn't have the heart for the position. Combine that with a plate in his ankle and the #32 will be available to next year's top pick at rb.

If we draft mendenhall he would be the thunder (although quick and powerful) and wolfe would be the lightning. Benson is more like heat lighting. His position with this team should be just as brief, and if we upgrade our oline with clady/albert and a g in the 2nd or 3rd everyone will see it and stop using a poor oline as his excuse. He just doesn't have the heart for the position. Combine that with a plate in his ankle and the #32 will be available to next year's top pick at rb.

I am more concerned about the ankle than anything. If Benson has lost a step, that makes the blockers have to hold their blocks that much longer. It might only be a split second, but the game is so fast now that one step could mean the difference between a 5 yard gain and a 2 yard loss.

Sorry...it's early here on the west coast...

Is your final call that you take OL over RB?

Absolutely I want Oline in Rd 1 and again in Rd 2. I know it'll be early to grab an OG with our 2nd pick so I think a trade down here to a little later in Rd 2 is fine and perhaps we can add a 4th Rd pick.

Rd 1 OT

Rd 2 OG

Rd 3a RB

Rd 3b WR/QB

Rd 4a QB/WR (depending on 4a)

Rd 4b-7d BPA looking to add any of S, FB, TE (need to replace Gilmore)

Yes...I made the thunder and thunder comment in regards to Mendenhall and Benson. From what I have seen, some hope for Mendenhall, but all realize that if he is drafted, he'll be sharing time with Benson. Neither is lightning, and I haven't seen the game or highlight video that makes me think otherwise.

Also, if you think the poor OL is an excuse, you must not have watched the games last year. The OL stunk up the joint. Seriously, watch a replay if you have it. They were brutal most of the season. No skill position players - outside of hall of famers - do well behind a crap OL.

Say no to Mendenhall and Albert. We'll all be complaining that Mendenhall is a bust 3 years from now if we take him because he has a shit line who can't block, and there is no reason whatsoever to take a guard with a top 20 pick. IMO there is no reason to take a guard in the first round unless you think he is another Steve Hutchison, and even then you don't take him unless you pick in the 21-32 range.