Brady Quinn or a Veteren FA?...

Mongo3451

All right, this is just for fun…

Here are the scenario’s:

1) Trade future picks for Brady Quinn. What would it take? Maybe a 1st and a 4th.

2) Grab a veteran FA. I’ve heard Simms potentially mentioned, but Culpepper looks to be finally healthy.

Here’s the ceiling and floor of it all. Quinn is an unknown by NFL standards, yet has the ability to become the franchise QB we have been dreaming of for decades. Pepp and Simms are damaged goods, but have the ability to become serviceable stop gaps with arguable skills possibly not adding up to Orton and Rex.

You are the GM and the clock is ticking…

:whip :whip

Here are the scenario’s:

1) Trade future picks for Brady Quinn. What would it take? Maybe a 1st and a 4th.

2) Grab a veteran FA. I’ve heard Simms potentially mentioned, but Culpepper looks to be finally healthy.

Here’s the ceiling and floor of it all. Quinn is an unknown by NFL standards, yet has the ability to become the franchise QB we have been dreaming of for decades. Pepp and Simms are damaged goods, but have the ability to become serviceable stop gaps with arguable skills possibly not adding up to Orton and Rex.

Easy for me because I happen to believe your final statement is ridiculously false. Pepp may be damaged goods, but when healthy, he is a weapon far beyond Grossman or Orton.

Easy for me because I happen to believe your final statement is ridiculously false. Pepp may be damaged goods, but when healthy, he is a weapon far beyond Grossman or Orton.

Culpepper IS NOT a weapon in any way, shape or form. He is a complete bust. The ONLY reason he's getting any play now is some GMs are stupid enough to believe that this guy has anything at all. He lived for years off his association with Moss, Carter and having Robert Smith in his backfield helped tremendously. Grossman is definitely better than Culpepper. Hell, for that matter, so is Orton.

I take option C. Ride it out with Rex, Orton and a rookie FA QB.

Option A - Quinn - First, I have an issue giving up a 1st and 3rd for Quinn because I fear our first next year will be a top 10 pick. Second, while I may do it regardless, I am not sure this would be enough. You have to remember that Cle used their 2nd round pick, and gave up their next years 1st to move up for Quinn. So they are out a 1st and 2nd. They do not want to trade him because (a) I do not think they are truly sold on Anderson and (B) still feel Quinn can be their franchise QB. That means if you want Quinn, you have to blow them away, and offering less compensation that what they spent in the first place will not get it done.

Option B - Throw in Culpepper, Simms, McCown, and whoever else you want to throw in. I take a pass. We have two veterans in Rex and Orton who the staff is going to give every opportunity this year. Any QB we bring in at this point will not get so much as a second glance by the staff unless both Orton and Rex are injured. If both suck during the year, Lovie will ride it up as this year is all about giving each one final opportunity before moving on.

The only thing we should be talking about w/ the 3rd QB position is a young player you are looking to develop for the future. That is not Culpepper, and I pray it is not Simms. I think his old man today would be better than the boy. He has the physical tools, but not the mental capability to ever be a good, consistent NFL QB. So at this point, I go w/ the two UDFAs. Any QB we bring in should be w/ a look at 2009, not 2008.

I would love a trade for Quinn, but it's just not going to happen until Anderson gets another strong season in the books. They resigned him, but it was a fairly short-term deal, because they don't fully trust him yet, and they want to have the choice of switching to Quinn if the wheels fall off early this year. I'm a big fan, but short of an absolutely absurd offer (start with two first rounders and work up from there), he's untouchable.

I wouldn't be surprised or upset if the Bears bring in a veteran qb to compete with Hill and Hanie, but don't count on any available vet beating them out.

I would love a trade for Quinn, but it's just not going to happen until Anderson gets another strong season in the books. They resigned him, but it was a fairly short-term deal, because they don't fully trust him yet, and they want to have the choice of switching to Quinn if the wheels fall off early this year. I'm a big fan, but short of an absolutely absurd offer (start with two first rounders and work up from there), he's untouchable.

I wouldn't be surprised or upset if the Bears bring in a veteran qb to compete with Hill and Hanie, but don't count on any available vet beating them out.

lol Yeah but I'm wary of trading for another ND qb.

lol Yeah but I'm wary of trading for another ND qb.

Oooh, that's cold. Just think Theisman and Montana. The odds are in our favor. To answer my own question, I'd maybe wait to make a play for Quinn that at the last minute if needed. If Anderson comes out firing, Quinns hold to the Brown's goes away. Cleveland would then cherish the extra picks. Money in the bank is usually better than speculated money.

Oooh, that's cold. Just think Theisman and Montana. The odds are in our favor. To answer my own question, I'd maybe wait to make a play for Quinn that at the last minute if needed. If Anderson comes out firing, Quinns hold to the Brown's goes away. Cleveland would then cherish the extra picks. Money in the bank is usually better than speculated money.

I know...lol. I just couldn't help it. Mirer was such garbage.

I'd go with Quinn and a 2nd from this year and maybe a 3rd form the next. A first may be too much. Because I want Laurinaitis next draft...

Here are the scenario’s:

I take option C. Ride it out with Rex, Orton and a rookie FA QB.

Option A - Quinn - First, I have an issue giving up a 1st and 3rd for Quinn because I fear our first next year will be a top 10 pick. Second, while I may do it regardless, I am not sure this would be enough. You have to remember that Cle used their 2nd round pick, and gave up their next years 1st to move up for Quinn. So they are out a 1st and 2nd. They do not want to trade him because (a) I do not think they are truly sold on Anderson and (B) still feel Quinn can be their franchise QB. That means if you want Quinn, you have to blow them away, and offering less compensation that what they spent in the first place will not get it done.

Option B - Throw in Culpepper, Simms, McCown, and whoever else you want to throw in. I take a pass. We have two veterans in Rex and Orton who the staff is going to give every opportunity this year. Any QB we bring in at this point will not get so much as a second glance by the staff unless both Orton and Rex are injured. If both suck during the year, Lovie will ride it up as this year is all about giving each one final opportunity before moving on.

The only thing we should be talking about w/ the 3rd QB position is a young player you are looking to develop for the future. That is not Culpepper, and I pray it is not Simms. I think his old man today would be better than the boy. He has the physical tools, but not the mental capability to ever be a good, consistent NFL QB. So at this point, I go w/ the two UDFAs. Any QB we bring in should be w/ a look at 2009, not 2008.

I agree. Let's give these young QBs a chance at #3. If they both look good, 1 goes on the roster the other on the PS.

Peace :dabears

I don't like the FA QB's after this season, and I don't think CLE will just let Quinn walk. Anderson only got a 3 year deal, so maybe they'll develop Quinn during that time, let Anderson walk after those 3 years, and Quinn will be their #1.

Although, if he isn't re-signed or whatever, I would love to have him.

Guest TerraTor

Here are the scenario’s:

Id chose grossman or orton over either of those jackasses. Culpepper is a joke.

Some folks need to go back and look at all the INTs Culpepper has thrown before jumping on his bandwagon. He hasn't played well since he played with Moss. I never liked Simms coming out of college and I see no reason to like him now. What did he do on the field that Rex or Orton haven't done? The others are all KNOWN future backups which is not what we need right now. Our 3rd QB slot needs to be someone that still has the "P" word attached to them (starter potential). For the moment we're better off with the 2 UDFA's. By next year that will change one way or another as either Rex or Orton will be gone and possibly both UDFAs.

Over @ ESPN they have a piece up looking at the status of Anderson and Quinn which takes a look at the contract status of Quinn. The interesting thing is...it doesn't cost the Browns much in terms of salary to keep him sitting on the bench because most of his money was performance bonuses which he won't reach on the bench.

In other words...the Browns don't need to move him to avoid cap hits if he isn't playing and if Anderson is playing well. Therefore, they can wait until they get the right package offered up for either of them or until one or the other blows up or gets hurt.

If Quinn doesn't see the field, he will be one of the NFL's lowest-paid quarterbacks this season. Cleveland is paying Quinn the second-year league minimum of $370,000 in 2008. His salary could increase to $1.693 million if he plays 45 percent of the snaps, but that's unlikely, unless Anderson falters or is injured.

Including all incentives, the maximum value of Quinn's deal was $30 million. But if Quinn continues at this pace without playing time, he will end up making just less than $8 million over five years -- a difference of $22 million. Quinn received most of his guaranteed money in March when the Browns paid him a $4.255 million option bonus.

"It's a great situation for the team," Savage said of having both quarterbacks. "It's not so hot for Brady Quinn, because only one of them can play at a time."

For now, Savage's influence has prevented Quinn and super-agent Tom Condon from demanding a trade. But rest assured, the player and his agent will not sit idle for a third straight year.

Keep with Grossman this season, see if he can change it up from last season.

Don't keep changing QBs, that's what's wrong with the team at the moment, if there's 3-4 bad games from a QB, they try to change the position to someone else, and then back and forth throughout the season.

P.S. Thank God we got rid of Griese.

Some folks need to go back and look at all the INTs Culpepper has thrown before jumping on his bandwagon. He hasn't played well since he played with Moss. I never liked Simms coming out of college and I see no reason to like him now. What did he do on the field that Rex or Orton haven't done? The others are all KNOWN future backups which is not what we need right now. Our 3rd QB slot needs to be someone that still has the "P" word attached to them (starter potential). For the moment we're better off with the 2 UDFA's. By next year that will change one way or another as either Rex or Orton will be gone and possibly both UDFAs.

It amazes me that Bears fans that bitch about Grossman would want Culpepper. His decline when he lost Moss was enormous. Its easy to look good when you have a guy that you can simply launch the ball up to and he comes down with it. He wouldnt have that here.

Exactly! Orton finished last season on an upside...let him start!

Keep with Grossman this season, see if he can change it up from last season.

Don't keep changing QBs, that's what's wrong with the team at the moment, if there's 3-4 bad games from a QB, they try to change the position to someone else, and then back and forth throughout the season.

P.S. Thank God we got rid of Griese.

Rex was doing decently before he got hurt, but after he stunk the joint up worse than Hutchinson.

I don't believe it will be earned...it will be given as it's been since the beginning of this regime. I didn't believe them then, I don't now. It seems to hold some water with the D, but not with the O.

Before he got hurt, I thought Rex at least had a good game or two as well. Was I imagining that?

Either way, as long as whoever starts has to earn the spot, I'm game for it.

Rex was doing decently before he got hurt, but after he stunk the joint up worse than Hutchinson.

I don't believe it will be earned...it will be given as it's been since the beginning of this regime. I didn't believe them then, I don't now. It seems to hold some water with the D, but not with the O.

Ok, here's my question. Say the 2 of them perform roughly equal in training camp. Each throws a pick or two and a touchdown or two, their QB ratings are close, there's really no obvious advantage in the numbers or in the way they look to picking either of them.

Which do you go with?

Orton. Hands down. Even if Gorssman outdoes Orton by a bit, I still go with Orton. He handled the job well at the end of the season and has never been given the chance to truly start.

If Gorssman completely outguns him in training camp, as Much as I'd still like Orton to start, I could not argue agasint Grossman. That's the only way I can personally stomach watching Grossman as a starter (other than injury).

I like the kid personally. Seems like a nice kid. But I don't like him as a pro QB...

Ok, here's my question. Say the 2 of them perform roughly equal in training camp. Each throws a pick or two and a touchdown or two, their QB ratings are close, there's really no obvious advantage in the numbers or in the way they look to picking either of them.

Which do you go with?