Cedric Benson Arrested

bradjock

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care if we keep or cut him at this point. I have been one of the biggest Benson backers here, but instead of getting drunk on a boat, he should be rehabbing his ankle. I don't care anymore with him. Forte is the future anyway.

I don't really care if we keep or cut him at this point. I have been one of the biggest Benson backers here, but instead of getting drunk on a boat, he should be rehabbing his ankle. I don't care anymore with him. Forte is the future anyway.

You I both have supported him and made the argument that with an OL, he would run so much better. After this, I'm with ya again- f*** him.

Here is the silver lining in all of this: Pepper Spray. That seemed to make him cooperate, maybe the Bears can install some in his facemask, and when he starts to slack off, he gets a little burst in the mug.

You gotta get at least one "lol" for that! LOL

If Benson was drunk off his ass, that's one thing, but if he was .13, that's another. Driving a car drunk (even a little bit...especially since most DUI's occur at night) is like saying "it's worth the risk that I may kill an entire family or maim or payalyze someone else because...hey, the chances are real, but slim", but it's not your right to make that choice. But driving a boat a little bit drunk is far, far easier because you've got a perfect line of (usually) daytime sight for 360 degrees and no lanes so that cars are driving right by you at 60mph, no trees or bridges or stoplights to run, and if you get thrown out you'll hit water, not cement (which, granted, water might as well be cement if you're going fast enough). They're not equivalents is all I'm saying, even though they're both wrong.

Having said all that, considering Ced resisted arrest like an ass, he was probably drunk off his ass, which makes most of my point moot.

Pepper spray really has nothing to do with it. I don't want to open a can of worms with this. But, cops many times use pepper spray and other means of force when they are simply scared of the guy they're trying to arrest. Pepper spray alone is no real indication. I've seen Indianapolis cops pepper spray an entire crowd that was watching a fight that didn't even start yet. They were about to fight and people were watching. Cops come in and spray the crowd.

I find the first part of this statement to be complete BS. Cops don't spray people because they are scared. More often than not, cops spray people who are:

A ) acting like dumbasses and resisting arrest

B ) in a group of people who can't be calmly controlled by the number of officers present

Your personal experience falls into group B. Benson's falls into group A.

People really take for granted what cops go through. Every stop they make could be their final one.

Thats true but cops like that idiot who beat up that girl in the bar give a lot of them a bad name. Honestly, despite them risking their lives at work, with all the corruption Ive seen personally and all the stories that come out every day about cops abusing their power i really could give a shit. As a whole they are the most corrupt people in the world.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/16155362/detail.html?dl=mainclick

AUSTIN, Texas -- Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested in Texas on Saturday, charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, police said.

Cedric Benson denied the charges, NBC 5 reported.

According to police, Benson's boat was stopped on a random safety inspection on Lake Travis, a lake popular with boaters near Austin, Texas. Benson was given a field sobriety test on the officer's boat and failed the test, police said.

According to a statement from police, Benson "presented himself as a threat to the officer" and argued about whether or not he would be taken to land to have a follow-up field sobriety test performed. He also refused to wear a life jacket, police said.

Benson was ultimately pepper-sprayed during his arrest, according to police in Travis County. He was arrested at about 11:30 p.m. and later bonded out of jail.

Benson, a former player at the University of Texas, was on his boat with about a dozen other people, according to police.

In a telephone interview with Benson, NBC 5 reporter Peggy Kusinski heard the Bears running back's side of the story.

Benson said he did not resist arrest and was not boating while intoxicated.

Benson said he and a dozen family members and friends, including his mother, took his 37-foot boat out for the second time this spring. And for the second time, he was pulled over by police, Benson said.

"We were in a cove with a lot of other boats filled with young people partying," Benson said. There was alcohol on board his boat but he was not drunk, Benson said. When police boarded to check if the boat met all safety standards, it did -- enough life jackets for everyone on board, working fire extinguisher and a proper license, Benson said.

"I get pulled over every time I take my boat out," Benson said. "It's Austin, Texas. They know me."

Benson said an officer asked him to board the police boat for an abbreviated sobriety test during which he recited the alphabet. Benson said he recited it without any mistakes. He said he was also asked to count forward and backward "at least 20 times." Benson said he kept asking the officers why they were doing this, while the police boat slowly drove away from where his own boat was parked.

Benson said that after the abbreviated sobriety test, the officer didn't charge him or say he'd failed the test, but that they wanted to take him in to land for more testing. "Why? I've passed every test," Benson said he asked the officer.

Benson said he was polite, even calling the officer "sir," and that he never cursed or yelled until the officer suddenly put down his flashlight and pepper sprayed him in the eyes.

At that point, Benson started yelling for his mother, but was so far away from his own boat no one could hear, Benson said.

With regard to the police claim that Benson refused to wear a life jacket, Benson said he was never offered one. He said police threw one over his head before departing the boat.

Benson said he was carried and dragged to a squad car once reaching land, but not because he was resisting officers. He said it was because his ankles and feet were kicked out from under him, and so he couldn't walk. Benson said he pleaded with police. "Please sir, let me just walk off the boat like a man," Benson said he told the officer.

Benson said he was repeatedly sprayed in the face with a water hose until he could no longer speak. Benson said he begged the officer to stop.

"I did nothing wrong; I didn't resist arrest, didn't curse and wasn't drunk," Benson told NBC 5.

Benson was released on bond at about 4 a.m. and is threatening a lawsuit. He said Bears coach Lovie Smith was supportive in their conversation Sunday, but he plans to return to Halas Hall this week to explain his side of the story and try to keep his job on the team

All just a big misunderstanding. Benson and his mom will be on the next Chunky soup commercial - hopefully not on a boat.

Wasn't Lovie really supportive right before Tank was released?

what is this obsession with Rhodes? I'd take Benson drunk with pepper spray in his eyes over Rhodes any day.

You're right. Why sign someone who has a 1000 yard season under his belt when we have Adrian Peterson and Garrett Wolfe as our back-ups and are starting a rookie 2nd rounder. What the hell am I thinking?

He's still on the right side of 30. He's got a 4+ yard per carry average over his career, when he actually got playing time he gained 237 yards in his last 2 games with Oakland against Jacksonville and San Diego (with both opponents in both weeks looking to clinch playoff births), and would likely come at a cheap price. Not to mention he's small and quick and would perfectly complement a runner like Forte.

You're right. Why sign someone who has a 1000 yard season under his belt when we have Adrian Peterson and Garrett Wolfe as our back-ups and are starting a rookie 2nd rounder. What the hell am I thinking?

He's still on the right side of 30. He's got a 4+ yard per carry average over his career, when he actually got playing time he gained 237 yards in his last 2 games with Oakland, and would likely come at a cheap price.

:notworthy

"Benson then yelled for his mother." What a pussy. He's what, 27, and he needs his mom. :shakehead

He's still on the right side of 30. He's got a 4+ yard per carry average over his career, when he actually got playing time he gained 237 yards in his last 2 games with Oakland against Jacksonville and San Diego, and would likely come at a cheap price.

Amen, brother.

Have you read this. This is a quote from the arresting officer,

"I touched his body in an attempt to direct him and he presented himself in a very hostile way," Snyder wrote.

"Benson is a very muscular person and easily capable of overpowering me," Snyder wrote in the affidavit. "As I had exhausted all attempts to gain control of Benson had been met with resistance and what I perceived as a threat, I administered pepper spray to regain control."

So Benson presented himself in a hostile way? Huh? Read his comments. Sure sounds to be like a smaller cop got scared and over-reacted.

Not saying Benson is innocent, but when I read the officers owns statements, its sounds a bit fishy. I have no doubt Benson was drinking and may well have been drunk. At the same time, it just seems "off".

Have you read this. This is a quote from the arresting officer,

"I touched his body in an attempt to direct him and he presented himself in a very hostile way," Snyder wrote.

"Benson is a very muscular person and easily capable of overpowering me," Snyder wrote in the affidavit. "As I had exhausted all attempts to gain control of Benson had been met with resistance and what I perceived as a threat, I administered pepper spray to regain control."

So Benson presented himself in a hostile way? Huh? Read his comments. Sure sounds to be like a smaller cop got scared and over-reacted.

Not saying Benson is innocent, but when I read the officers owns statements, its sounds a bit fishy. I have no doubt Benson was drinking and may well have been drunk. At the same time, it just seems "off".

Maybe things are different in Texas, but in Illinois, if you're a boater, there's a "wink-nod" you're probably drinking, and if you don't do anything stupid, we won't mess with you.

Benson was in Longhorn territory where he's a hero.

There's little doubt in my mind that for him to get pinched, he must have been a complete jackass.

One, there is obviously a difference. Here, drinking and boating are a huge no-no. Too many deaths have happened, and drinking and boating is up there w/ drinking and driving. At the same time, there is no evidence he was drinking.

Also, sorry, but they sure didn't sound like they were treating him like a Texas hero. Maybe the cop is from GB.

Thats true but cops like that idiot who beat up that girl in the bar give a lot of them a bad name. Honestly, despite them risking their lives at work, with all the corruption Ive seen personally and all the stories that come out every day about cops abusing their power i really could give a shit. As a whole they are the most corrupt people in the world.

Are you mad? or just stupid? That statement is toaly uncalled for. You stand in thier shoes for 1 day and see what they go through. I can not believe for one minute you would not support a Police officer for what he does daily that you run from in your life. Absolutely obsurd.

Are you mad? or just stupid? That statement is toaly uncalled for. You stand in thier shoes for 1 day and see what they go through. I can not believe for one minute you would not support a Police officer for what he does daily that you run from in your life. Absolutely obsurd.

Calm down, Sally. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

My cousin and two close friends of mine are cops in Miami and they will be the first to tell ya that there are ALOT of cops who do morally questionable things for several different reasons. Some are sadistic, some are racist, some are on a power trip, and some just genuinely believe they are doing a greater good by ignoring some scumbag's rights. I think most of the alleged crooked cops fall into that last category, but some land in the other categories too and we can't pretend we can take every cop at their word. Those cops that blur the line between right and wrong are the ones that cast a cloud of suspicion upon the rest of the hardworking, honest officers.

Because of this reality, I always want to hear both sides of the stories. In Benson's case, his story has too much detail, imo, to be a total fabrication. From what I've heard so far, I'm inclined to believe the truth lies somewhere in between the officer and Benson's stories. I'm not even sure who I WANT to be telling the truth here. Both versions of the story would piss me off to no end...

Miami,

In Grouchy's defense, did you read the comment he was responding too? I don't think he is saying all police are perfect, but he was replying to the comment, "As a whole they are the most corrupt people in the world.", said in reference to police. I bet he would agree many cops are bad apples, and that too often those bad apples spoil the look of the bunch, yet at the same time to catagorically say police are the most corrupt people is in the world is a bit extreme, to say the least.

I would put politicians well ahead of the police :)

Regarding our very own boating incident, I too tend to believe/dis-believe both sides. I have a hard time believing Benson was soooo polite after getting pepper sprayed and abused (his allegation). At the same time, the officers version seems riddled w/ holes/question marks that just beg for further review.

For me, one of the biggest things I come back to is Benson's family and even mother were on the boat. My initial thoughts were of Leinart, partying w/ a bunch of minors near his old stomping ground. In that situation, I think a person is simply more likely to act far more irresponsible and immature. Basically, back to college mentality days. On the other hand, you are on a boat w/ some friends and family, including your mother, and it is to me simply different. While some would not see the difference, I have a difficult time seeing him just getting trashed and out of control w/ his mom there, not to mention other family.

For the record, I have met his mother. I sat next to her during a Bear/Texas pre-season game last year. She was extremely friendly. Not saying I "know" her, but she did not seem like the type that would be getting drunk w/ her boy.