Cedric Benson Arrested

bradjock

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As per profootballtalk.com. They didn't know why, but he's been released on bond.

What an asshole.

Word is that he got a dui on a boat and resisted arrest resulting in pepper sprayed. He's really worthless and shouldn't have the HONOR of wearing a bears jersey!

lol Well I guess Briggs doesn't either going by that criteria. And 70% of Bears fans for that matter.

The funny thing is the moment I heard this I thought that he got drunk cause Forte was tearing it up in minicamp and he was depressed that his job was gone.

Like Ron Burgandy in Anchorman. "Milk was a bad choice"

lol Well I guess Briggs doesn't either going by that criteria. And 70% of Bears fans for that matter.

The funny thing is the moment I heard this I thought that he got drunk cause Forte was tearing it up in minicamp and he was depressed that his job was gone.

Like Ron Burgandy in Anchorman. "Milk was a bad choice"

Yeah you're right cause briggs was charged with a DUI also wasn't he, oh and he also resisted arrest and was pepper sprayed by officers right? Totally different. I based my comment off of the fact that the man had to be pepper sprayed. That is the reason why he should be cut. Everyone makes mistakes in life, but when you don't man up to them and make more trouble is when you're an ass!

Yeah you're right cause briggs was charged with a DUI also wasn't he, oh and he also resisted arrest and was pepper sprayed by officers right? Totally different. I based my comment off of the fact that the man had to be pepper sprayed. That is the reason why he should be cut. Everyone makes mistakes in life, but when you don't man up to them and make more trouble is when you're an ass!

Right, but how many people do you know that act like assess when they are drunk. When you are drunk you do things you wouldn't normally do.

I dont think you cut him for this. Especially if it costs us money. He will just go to jail and watch as his spot is taken.

Dude, Briggs left the scene of an accident after he bashed his car into a pole while drunk. Not exactly manning up to your mistake there.

Right, but how many people do you know that act like assess when they are drunk. When you are drunk you do things you wouldn't normally do.

I dont think you cut him for this. Especially if it costs us money. He will just go to jail and watch as his spot is taken.

Dude, Briggs left the scene of an accident after he bashed his car into a pole while drunk. Not exactly manning up to your mistake there.

Here's more:

Cedric Benson arrested

Police use pepper spray during arrest

By Vaughn McClure |Tribune reporter8:14 AM CDT, May 4, 2008

Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested late Saturday night near Austin, Texas, and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both Class B misdemeanors.

According to a sergeant from the Travis County Sheriff's office, Benson, who played at the University of Texas in Austin, was arrested by the Lower Colorado River Authority. A LCRA spokesperson said that Benson, who failed a sobriety "float test" (an abbreviated version of a field sobriety test) on the boat, argued over taking a follow-up test on land and refused to put on a life jacket. LCRA police attempted to arrest Benson at that time but he refused to cooperate and was pepper sprayed. He was booked at 11:24 p.m. Saturday and later bonded out, the sergeant said.

Benson, who had his 2007 season cut short by a broken leg, was in jeopardy of losing his starting spot even before the arrest. The fourth-overall pick of the 2005 draft has struggled through his first three seasons with the Bears, failing to post a 1,000-yard campaign while averaging just 3.8 yards per carry. Benson averaged a career-low 3.4 yards per carry last season, finishing with 674 yards on 196 carries with four touchdowns in 11 games started. He missed the final five games with the leg injury.

The Bears sent a clear sign that they wanted more production from their running back by selecting Tulane's Matt Forte in the second round of this year's draft. Forte's ability to get to the outside and catch the ball out of the backfield were dimensions the Bears missed with Benson in the lineup, although Benson showed flashes against Seattle and Denver last season.

Benson had a couple of brushes with the law during his college days.

He was arrested for marijuana possession in May of 2002 in his hometown of Midland, Texas. The charges were dropped when he passed a drug test and other evidence surfaced to clear him.

In October of 2003, he was arrested for criminal trespassing after kicking down an apartment door in Austin, believing his $15,000 plasma television was inside. He received an eight-day jail sentence but never went behind bars because of time served on the day of the arrest, good behavior, and the lack of available beds at the local prison.

On Saturday, Benson was on his 30-foot boat with 12 to 15 others but Benson was the only person to be arrested, police said.

Agreed AZ. I'd say if 90% of the players on our team were arrested for this, my resopnse would have been "whatever." I'd say "whatever," about Adrian Peterson, but he hasn't repeatedly made ignorant comments bashing his teammates, he hasn't been pulled from games because he doesn't know his blocking assignments, and he didn't show up to training camp out of shape.

Cedric is a bad player and a bad teammate. You include embarrassing the organization with that mix, and the bastard needs to go.

Agreed AZ. I'd say if 90% of the players on our team were arrested for this, my resopnse would have been "whatever." I'd say "whatever," about Adrian Peterson, but he hasn't repeatedly made ignorant comments bashing his teammates, he hasn't been pulled from games because he doesn't know his blocking assignments, and he didn't show up to training camp out of shape.

Cedric is a bad player and a bad teammate. You include embarrassing the organization with that mix, and the bastard needs to go.

Can't see them cutting him at this point. What player gets cut for a DUI and acting stupid while at it' But it's just one more nail in his coffin. Have to see how this all plays out.

Here is the silver lining in all of this: Pepper Spray. That seemed to make him cooperate, maybe the Bears can install some in his facemask, and when he starts to slack off, he gets a little burst in the mug.

All jokes aside. How is he the only guy on the boat with 12 to 15 others to get arrested? Clearly this guy has some serious judgement issues.

Culpepper was seen fleeing the scene.

Bears running back Cedric Benson, the fourth overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, was charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest Saturday night near Austin, Texas, according to a published report.

Both charges are misdemeanors.

Benson, who starred at the University of Texas, failed a field sobriety test on his boat, a Lower Colorado River Authority spokesman told the Chicago Tribune.

When police tried to get Benson to take the sobriety test on land, Benson resisted and refused to put on a life jacket, police told the newspaper.

According to the report, there were 12-15 people on Benson's boat, but the running back was the only one arrested.

Last season, Benson played in only 11 games for the Bears due to injury and gained 674 yards for a career-low 3.4 yards per carry average. He did have a career-best 123 receiving yards in 2007.

from espn.com

I think his days are numbered as a Bear. Maybe a 5th and Benson for Rhodes??

You side with the guy who failed a field sobriety test and had to be pepper sprayed? Interesting

"Field" sobriety test on a boat? Gimme a break. There were 12-15 people on that boat. Do you guys REALLY think that he was the one driving the boat?

I'm no Cedric Benson apologist by any means. I'm glad we sent a message to him by drafting Forte. But, before people start getting all holy and stuff, let's be real here. More than likely, he was a drinking and ended up mouthing off to the cops who stopped his boat party. They didn't like it and arrested him for it.

He won't be cut and there's no way that we'll bring in Dominic Rhodes because of this.

"Field" sobriety test on a boat? Gimme a break. There were 12-15 people on that boat. Do you guys REALLY think that he was the one driving the boat?

I'm no Cedric Benson apologist by any means. I'm glad we sent a message to him by drafting Forte. But, before people start getting all holy and stuff, let's be real here. More than likely, he was a drinking and ended up mouthing off to the cops who stopped his boat party. They didn't like it and arrested him for it.

He won't be cut and there's no way that we'll bring in Dominic Rhodes because of this.

You think they just selected him for the field sobriety test because he is Cedric Benson? I have seen plenty of people trucked off of the Fox chain for boating while intoxicated. There is a field sobriety test that the cops can conduct, and they have to if a breathalyzer is refused.

The fact is that people get killed from boating accidents because they are driving while intoxicated every year. Just because it isnt as widespread as driving a car while intoxicated doesnt make it less dangerous and stupid

edit: And in regards to why HE was given the field sobriety test, it was his 30 foot boat according to deadspin:

Cedric Benson, the oft-dmaligned running back of the Chicago Bears, was arrested last night by the Lower Colorado River Authority (the LAPD of southwest waterways) after being stopped for suspicion of boating while intoxicated. The 25 year-old was hosting between 12 and 15 guests on his 30-foot boat at the time, but he was the only one arrested.

A LCRA spokesperson said that Benson, who failed a sobriety "float test" (an abbreviated version of a field sobriety test) on the boat, argued over taking a follow-up test on land and refused to put on a life jacket. LCRA police attempted to arrest Benson at that time but he refused to cooperate and was pepper sprayed. He was booked at 11:24 p.m. Saturday and later bonded out, the sergeant said.

Ya, I really think he was the one driving the boat. Is that somehow hard to believe? Was this a conspiracy against Cedric Benson to set him up?

You think they just selected him for the field sobriety test because he is Cedric Benson? I have seen plenty of people trucked off of the Fox chain for boating while intoxicated. There is a field sobriety test that the cops can conduct, and they have to if a breathalyzer is refused.

The fact is that people get killed from boating accidents because they are driving while intoxicated every year. Just because it isnt as widespread as driving a car while intoxicated doesnt make it less dangerous and stupid

Of course they didn't know who he was when they stopped his boat. How would they? He owned the boat, so they gave him the test. There were 15 ppl on that boat. But c'mon, are you really saying he was hosting this boat party and doing the driving too? Does that sound like the "team player" we all know? I'm sure he was handing out hor's d'oeuvres (sp) too. LOL!! There's no way he was driving that boat.

Dude, the fact that it isn't widespread; almost by definition means it isn't as much of a threat as you are making it out to be. Sure, I don't advocate it. But, I'm not paranoid and unrealistic about it either. Clearly, it isn't as dangerous as DRIVING while intoxicated and we see athletes get off all of the time with DUIs.

Wow, I'm defending Cedric Benson.

Of course they didn't know who he was when they stopped his boat. How would they? He owned the boat, so they gave him the test. There were 15 ppl on that boat. But c'mon, are you really saying he was hosting this boat party and doing the driving too? Does that sound like the "team player" we all know? I'm sure he was handing out hor's d'oeuvres (sp) too. LOL!! There's no way he was driving that boat.

Dude, the fact that it isn't widespread; almost by definition means it isn't as much of a threat as you are making it out to be. Sure, I don't advocate it. But, I'm not paranoid and unrealistic about it either. Clearly, it isn't as dangerous as DRIVING while intoxicated and we see athletes get off all of the time with DUIs.

Also, this isnt an incident like Marvin Harrisons where people were surprised to hear he got in trouble. When you have a guy who is coming off an injury, that hasnt produced at all his whole career, that has thrown his teammates under the bus an than add in him getting arrested an pepper sprayed its a little more likely for him to be cut than say Marvin Harrison. He was on thin ice as it is and anything he does to shoot himself in the foot could be enough to warrant cutting him, thats why its a bigger deal than another player getting a DUI.

I dont see why it is so unbelievable to you that Cedric Benson was driving his own boat. This isnt a yacht, its a party boat. Guys that own boats like this usually dont let other people drive their own boats, because they are fun to drive. My dad has a 26 foot crownline and he doesnt let anyone touch the steering wheel unless he knows that the person is an experienced driver.

And when the boat is being driven, you dont hand out hor's d'oeuvres (sp part 2), or else the plate is gonna flip out of your hand from the bumps. I seriously doubt he had a assigned driver for a party of 12-15 people

Also, this isnt an incident like Marvin Harrisons where people were surprised to hear he got in trouble. When you have a guy who is coming off an injury, that hasnt produced at all his whole career, that has thrown his teammates under the bus an than add in him getting arrested an pepper sprayed its a little more likely for him to be cut than say Marvin Harrison. He was on thin ice as it is and anything he does to shoot himself in the foot could be enough to warrant cutting him, thats why its a bigger deal than another player getting a DUI.

Pepper spray really has nothing to do with it. I don't want to open a can of worms with this. But, cops many times use pepper spray and other means of force when they are simply scared of the guy they're trying to arrest. Pepper spray alone is no real indication. I've seen Indianapolis cops pepper spray an entire crowd that was watching a fight that didn't even start yet. They were about to fight and people were watching. Cops come in and spray the crowd.

Again, I'm not the guy you would go to looking for a vigorious defense of Cedric Benson. But, I'm not going to say that this incident should warrant his release; especially when you look at the folks we have to take his place. We have a rookie and two guys that couldn't get it done when given the chance last year. Now, I would say that Wolfe didn't really get a fair shot. But, there's no way we can afford to release our most proven RB (unfortunately CB is our guy) and risk having the same kind of running game we had last year.

My allegiance with Bears football alone won't let me support his release. I don't want to have another year like last year. I would love to see Forte starting with CB coming in like he did with TJ as the #1 guy. That's a good running game.

The real question is : is JA as smart as everyone thinks he is? Benson had trouble with the law in college ala possession of marijuana and kicking in the door incident. So did JA include anything in his contract that would void it if any charges were filed by law enforcements? Sure would like to have his ass thrown (literally) off this team with minimal kind of cap hit!

Pepper spray really has nothing to do with it. I don't want to open a can of worms with this. But, cops many times use pepper spray and other means of force when they are simply scared of the guy they're trying to arrest. Pepper spray alone is no real indication. I've seen Indianapolis cops pepper spray an entire crowd that was watching a fight that didn't even start yet. They were about to fight and people were watching. Cops come in and spray the crowd.

Again, I'm not the guy you would go to looking for a vigorious defense of Cedric Benson. But, I'm not going to say that this incident should warrant his release; especially when you look at the folks we have to take his place. We have a rookie and two guys that couldn't get it done when given the chance last year. Now, I would say that Wolfe didn't really get a fair shot. But, there's no way we can afford to release our most proven RB (unfortunately CB is our guy) and risk having the same kind of running game we had last year.

My allegiance with Bears football alone won't let me support his release. I don't want to have another year like last year. I would love to see Forte starting with CB coming in like he did with TJ as the #1 guy. That's a good running game.

Just to clarify what i am saying throughout this thread, I am not saying that Benson should be outright released either. I was just taking up with BF4ever indicating that a boating while intoxicated was gay and acting like it wasnt a big deal. Like I indicated earlier, my Dad has a boat on the Fox chain, and people die on those lakes every week of the summer for being ridiculously drunk driving their boats. Sometimes they overcorrect turns and flip, sometimes they crash into piers at night because they cant see them, sometimes they hit skiers or swimmers in the water, sometimes they just crash head on into other boats. Its a pretty big problem in the boating community and the police have had to step up their efforts to reduce the deaths.

Hmm, not sure. Anybody know for sure?

yeah he was, 2 days after the draft

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/236986

I agree. I hate Benson too but I was also in the other thread saying we shouldnt release him because as of now he is our best RB. Im just saying it was a poor decision on his part considering, despite it being rumors on a message board, there are whispers about it possibly being time to go our separate ways with Benson. After drafting a guy who appears to be in the mold of Benson running wise but can also block and catch, now isnt exactly the best time for this kind of stuff.