Benson Cried

ChileBear

Just read this on MSNBC.com:

When Cedric Benson was being arrested over the weekend, he apparently responded to the face full of pepper spray by crying, and calling out for his mother. That’s probably not the ideal makeup for a running back in the NFL. The weepy-eyed mugshot can be viewed here. (Chicago Sun-Times)>

Now, I'm not really a Benson lover/hater. I want the guy who wears our uni to perform on the field. But it seems to me that, if you got sprayed with pepper spray, who wouldn't cry? And the reports said his mom was on the boat, so why not call for her?

I read this and I have to say PLLLEEEEEZE!

When Cedric Benson was being arrested over the weekend, he apparently responded to the face full of pepper spray by crying, and calling out for his mother. That’s probably not the ideal makeup for a running back in the NFL. The weepy-eyed mugshot can be viewed here. (Chicago Sun-Times)>

Now, I'm not really a Benson lover/hater. I want the guy who wears our uni to perform on the field. But it seems to me that, if you got sprayed with pepper spray, who wouldn't cry? And the reports said his mom was on the boat, so why not call for her?

Yeah last time I checked, getting hit with pepper spray makes your eyes water.

Just hating to hate.

As someone who has been pepper sprayed, as well as hit with CS gas on numerous occassions, I'll back Benson up on this one.

Gas = crying

Now, if he was sobbing, then that's a different story, and he's a sissy. It sucks, and you can't help crying, but it doesn't really hurt. One positive is that it cleans out the sinuses in seconds, dropping every ounce of snot you have out onto your shoes.

As someone who has been pepper sprayed, as well as hit with CS gas on numerous occassions, I'll back Benson up on this one.

Gas = crying

Now, if he was sobbing, then that's a different story, and he's a sissy. It sucks, and you can't help crying, but it doesn't really hurt. One positive is that it cleans out the sinuses in seconds, dropping every ounce of snot you have out onto your shoes.

Yeah, CS definitely equals tears and snot. I unfortunately have to go thru that crap once a year.

The way I understood it, he was on the police boat when he got sprayed and was calling out to his mom presumably so she can witness what happened. I could be wrong, but I can't think of any other reason to call for his mom at that point. Even the biggest sissy wouldn't call for his mom once he passes age 12 I'd think.

I agree that I am not happy with CB on or off the field but I do feel sorry for him and wish him the best --- in a Bengals uni after he gets cut!

I'm going to wait for the other shoe to drop on this situation. If his mother was there then we're going to get another side to the story at some point. I haven't yet seen Ced's blood alcohol level, anyone know what it was?

I'm going to wait for the other shoe to drop on this situation. If his mother was there then we're going to get another side to the story at some point. I haven't yet seen Ced's blood alcohol level, anyone know what it was?

He refused, on advise from his attorney, to take the breathalizer. I have said this before, but that is what pretty much any attorney here in Texas would advise if you have had anything to drink at all. No clue how boating is different, but if you are driving and pulled over, and refuse the test, it is an automatic suspension of your drivers liscense for 6 months, and I believe fines may be involved, but you avoid the DWI charge.

I believe this has been discussed before, and I want to say some have said in states like AZ, if you refuse, the cops can force you take take a blood test, or maybe refusal is equal to guilt, but not here.

He refused, on advise from his attorney, to take the breathalizer. I have said this before, but that is what pretty much any attorney here in Texas would advise if you have had anything to drink at all. No clue how boating is different, but if you are driving and pulled over, and refuse the test, it is an automatic suspension of your drivers liscense for 6 months, and I believe fines may be involved, but you avoid the DWI charge.

I believe this has been discussed before, and I want to say some have said in states like AZ, if you refuse, the cops can force you take take a blood test, or maybe refusal is equal to guilt, but not here.

Here in Az, if you refuse the field tests they arrest you and then take blood. The attorneys here tell everyone to refuse everything on site. The thinking is that by the time it takes them to take you to the station your BAC might go under the limit.

The DUI laws here are getting tougher and tougher. First time offenders here now go to tent city (outside jail) for ten days and have a device put on the vehicle. They also have extreme DUI's and Super Extreme DUI's too.

If anybody is ever in AZ drinking, always spring for the cab. Its much cheaper that way.

I remember in Tank's case he could have been charged with DUI even if his blood alcohol level was BELOW the legal limit (driving while slightly impaired I believe it was called). If the law is the same in Texas, I can see why one would be advised to refuse the breathalyzer.

I was tear gassed at SIU on Halloween in 2000 and it not only makes you cry, you cant breath. Im assuming pepper spray has similar results.

There are demonstrations here at the U I work in at least four times a year, all with tear gas. It is no picnic, as others have alluded to here. And I eat all the hot peppers I can lay my hands on and if, by mistake, I rub my eyes, wo, it stings like hell. So I'd expect Ced to look like that and to shed a few tears. Now, was he a bronken down, blubbering wimp crying form mom? I really doubt it, but I'd like to hear from someone else who was on that boat. Not that it makes much difference in the overal scope of things, though.

I remember in Tank's case he could have been charged with DUI even if his blood alcohol level was BELOW the legal limit (driving while slightly impaired I believe it was called). If the law is the same in Texas, I can see why one would be advised to refuse the breathalyzer.

Nah there is no slightly impared deal in AZ. If it is not .08, then you are good to go.

Nah there is no slightly impared deal in AZ. If it is not .08, then you are good to go.

I'm not going to claim to know the laws in AZ, but the DAs office did say they were considering charging Tanks w/ a lesser crime of slightly impaired. Some states have recognize a difference between DWI (driving while intoxicated) and DWU, or some similar form, which usually means driving under the influence, or something like that. In the case of the later, it is more about the judgment of the police officer. The law is set as to what level a typical person would be deemed drunk, but if an officer believes an individual, who is just under the legal limit, is regardless showing signs in their driving, they have the leeway to charge the individual regardless.

Not all states have this, but some do, and all the articles regarding Tanks sure gave that impression as it was the DA talking about charging Tank, even if he was below the legal limit, as he was showing signs of being impaired.

Here in Az, if you refuse the field tests they arrest you and then take blood. The attorneys here tell everyone to refuse everything on site. The thinking is that by the time it takes them to take you to the station your BAC might go under the limit.

They have the right to take your blood, w/o your permission, w/o a court order? Sounds like a constitutional violation to me.

Even cop friends of mine say, you do not ever blow if you have had anything to drink. They tell me that a single beer can be enough, if for example you have had nothing to eat, or whatever. Point is, you may believe you are no where close to drunk, but legally, you may not be correct.

I remember a bar I used to go to in college that had a breathalizer set up at the door. On your way out, you could blow to check and see if you were cool. The good in this was obvious. The bad was guys who would blow after every drink, pushing the limit as much as possible.

Anyway, I think it would shock many how much/little it takes before you are drunk in the eyes of the law.

They have the right to take your blood, w/o your permission, w/o a court order? Sounds like a constitutional violation to me.

Even cop friends of mine say, you do not ever blow if you have had anything to drink. They tell me that a single beer can be enough, if for example you have had nothing to eat, or whatever. Point is, you may believe you are no where close to drunk, but legally, you may not be correct.

I remember a bar I used to go to in college that had a breathalizer set up at the door. On your way out, you could blow to check and see if you were cool. The good in this was obvious. The bad was guys who would blow after every drink, pushing the limit as much as possible.

Anyway, I think it would shock many how much/little it takes before you are drunk in the eyes of the law.

I don't claim to be a Constitutional scholar, but I'm 100% you are wrong on this one.

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Case closed, your honor.

No even close.

I don't claim to be a Constitutional scholar, but I'm 100% you are wrong on this one.

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Case closed, your honor.

"and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause"

This has not been interpreted that an office can search anytime he has probable cause, but that when probable cause exists, a search warrant can be obtained. That is the point there. W/o a warrant, you can not perform the search. Simply having probable cause does not grant the officer the right to a search.

I'm not going to claim to know the laws in AZ, but the DAs office did say they were considering charging Tanks w/ a lesser crime of slightly impaired. Some states have recognize a difference between DWI (driving while intoxicated) and DWU, or some similar form, which usually means driving under the influence, or something like that. In the case of the later, it is more about the judgment of the police officer. The law is set as to what level a typical person would be deemed drunk, but if an officer believes an individual, who is just under the legal limit, is regardless showing signs in their driving, they have the leeway to charge the individual regardless.

Not all states have this, but some do, and all the articles regarding Tanks sure gave that impression as it was the DA talking about charging Tank, even if he was below the legal limit, as he was showing signs of being impaired.

I have no doubt they said this. They didn't though. Its one of those things that they pull you over for to see if they can get you for a real DUI. Shoot I have picked up friends from a bar and have been pulled over 2 times for not turning into the close lane. I got pulled out of my car stone sober and put through field tests. They camp people for DUI. Its turned into a big money maker for AZ. They hit you with thousands of dollars in fines and they make you rent a blow device for your car for 75 bucks a month. They dont even put you in real jail. You go to tent city, which is just what it sounds like. If you have to serve in the middle of summer or winter, sucks to be you. I know a ton of people that have gotten DUI's. And some people just wont learn. A friend just got his second extreme and he will have to go to tent city for 120 days. Another guy just got his third and goes for a year.

In AZ there is no difference between DWI and DUI. At .08 its a DUI, then it goes to extreme DUI and super extreme dui.

And get this, not only can and will they take your blood, now they are training the patrol officers how to take blood on site. So pretty soon they will just take blood on suspiction of drunk driving.

So again, if you come to AZ, take a cab.

Move to Texas. Refuse to blow, and the police have no option to forcably take blood. You lose your liscense for 6 months (automatic for refusing a breathalizer) but the liklihood of actually getting nailed w/ a DWI become far weaker. If you bomb the field test, and it is on tape, you could still be in trouble, but even then, far from a slam dunk.

Frankly, I am surprised the policies there have not been challenged. Criminals file claims of their prison cells being poor to the point of being unconstitutional (cruel and unusual punishment). I can only imagine the argument for tent city in 120 degrees, or 20 degrees. Not to mention forcing a person to give blood against their wishes.

Blood is no different from DNA testing. If police have a suspect and want a DNA sample, they need either the suspects permission, or a court order giving permission, which is no slam dunk to get either. I don't see how taking blood would be different.

I know nothing about AZ Constitutional Law, but it sure sounds like there are US Con Law violations going on there.

Move to Texas. Refuse to blow, and the police have no option to forcably take blood. You lose your liscense for 6 months (automatic for refusing a breathalizer) but the liklihood of actually getting nailed w/ a DWI become far weaker. If you bomb the field test, and it is on tape, you could still be in trouble, but even then, far from a slam dunk.

Frankly, I am surprised the policies there have not been challenged. Criminals file claims of their prison cells being poor to the point of being unconstitutional (cruel and unusual punishment). I can only imagine the argument for tent city in 120 degrees, or 20 degrees. Not to mention forcing a person to give blood against their wishes.

Blood is no different from DNA testing. If police have a suspect and want a DNA sample, they need either the suspects permission, or a court order giving permission, which is no slam dunk to get either. I don't see how taking blood would be different.

I know nothing about AZ Constitutional Law, but it sure sounds like there are US Con Law violations going on there.

lol I know it sounds crazy.

My friend went at Christmas time and the most popular items were extra blankets.

But I guess people shouldn't really be drinking and driving anyway.

When Cedric Benson was being arrested over the weekend, he apparently responded to the face full of pepper spray by crying, and calling out for his mother. That's probably not the ideal makeup for a running back in the NFL. The weepy-eyed mugshot can be viewed here. (Chicago Sun-Times)>

That is just classless. No comment regarding his on the football performance should be related to a guy crying when getting sprayed with pepper spray. Hell, he was clearly in a horrible situation and called out for his mom, just like many people probably would in that sort of situation (he was calling her to so she could witness the assault which was taking place).

MSNBC should be embarassed for publishing that.

Okay, this is a sidebar and all, but just to sort of wrap up a tad, I did a bit of research on the subject.

AZ Supremem Ct did uphold a law that allows the authorities to obtain a blood test, w/o permission, after 3 consenting breathalizers. Rationale is the individual waived his rights against searches when he/she said yes to a breathalizer. The case that went before the court involved a person who took the breathalizer 3 times, w/ varying scores, and the police then forced a blood test to corroborate. St Supreme Ct ruled in favor, split decision, for the police. Disenting judge blasted the court. US Supreme Ct decided not to review the writ.

So I am not sure it is considered legal to force a blood test w/o prior breathalizer consent, but who knows there.

Several legal journals have talked about AZ, and other states, which have passed similar laws and how they go against our constitution. These DWI related laws are put into a category of law which are simply not constitutionally legal, but public sentiment is such that the courts simply do not follow the laws the should.

Anyway, for what its worth. Just felt it was some interesting info. One pretty decent article you can read, if bored,

http://www.azduiatty.com/supreme-court-oks...reath-tests.htm