Angelo on Benson

Connorbear

I am happy to see Angelo is not going to rush to judgment and assume the worse case scenario.

I strongly suspect that once all the details come out Benson will be found to have been unjustly crucified by the media and many Bears fans who have given up on him and are looking for a new way to crucify him. Some posts I have read make me think that some find this amusing and are hoping he was totally in the wrong because of their dislike for the guy.

I personally want to see him come back and kick butt as a RB for the Bears. I am thrilled we drafted Forte and think he is the real deal. It would be nice to have 2 top quality starting RBs on you roster to punish opposing defenses and provide security if one comes up injured.

I am happy to see Angelo is not going to rush to judgment and assume the worse case scenario.

I'm not happy with his last comments that he's dissapointed Cedric put himself in position to be the victim. Going out with your friends and family to party on a boat is not the same as going to a club with your shady friends from the past. That's not Benson putting himself anywhere, he was just living his life and not doing anything flashy or crazy. It wasn't even late night.

I'm not happy with his last comments that he's dissapointed Cedric put himself in position to be the victim. Going out with your friends and family to party on a boat is not the same as going to a club with your shady friends from the past. That's not Benson putting himself anywhere, he was just living his life and not doing anything flashy or crazy. It wasn't even late night.

Totally disagree. Benson stated that he felt that he'd been targeted and his friend said that he'd been pulled over at least six times. No one denies that he'd been drinking. As a pro athlete you do have a responsibility not to put yourself in that position and he, by his own admission, certainly did.

Tom S.

Totally disagree. Benson stated that he felt that he'd been targeted and his friend said that he'd been pulled over at least six times. No one denies that he'd been drinking. As a pro athlete you do have a responsibility not to put yourself in that position and he, by his own admission, certainly did.

Tom S.

I completely agree and would go one step further. If he wanted to go out on the boat, why not hire a designated captain and then he would have been covered.

Peace :dabears

I completely agree and would go one step further. If he wanted to go out on the boat, why not hire a designated captain and then he would have been covered.

Not sure if I agree with that. To my understanding the boat was at anchor, they still tested him. He passed the tests, and they still decided to take him away. To my understanding as well, there were others who could have driven the boat. They were at anchor. It wasn't determined when they were leaving or who was going to be the driver when they did decide to go.

They have pulled him over six times. So now the debate goes to, as Angelo suggests, whether or not he should have still been out there having a party under that situation. Maybe if he chooses to host this party at home he doesn't get arrested. But if cops still keep coming, geography doesn't matter.

The problem is Cedric Benson should have not mouthed off to the cops. He should have just listened to their crap, passed their tests and go on with his business. This probably wouldn't have been an issue.

I understand your point, and recall similar posts after Tank was pulled over. Some said they can afford it, so why not just hire a limo. Basically same point as your saying to hire a captain.

While this would make sense, some more simple could have prevented this as well. If he simply had a designated driver. I have not heard from one area that any of the many on the boat were designated drivers. The comments I read tend to argue Benson had a few bears, but was sober, thus I have the impression he was planning on driving.

He may well have been fine to drive, but I would agree these plays have to learn some day they have too much to lose. If you intend to drink, don't just plan on drinking a small enough amount that you will be okay. Either drink and make arrangments for another driver, or don't drink.

Agree and disagree.

I agree that drinking w/o a plan in place for a driver is in fact putting yourself in a position/situation which can be questioned.

I do not agree that Benson going out there in the first place was a problem. He bought a very expensive boat last year. While there are some other lakes in the area, none are equal to Lake Travis. Whether Benson felt he was targetted or not, I do not see why he should not be allowed to take his boat out to Lake Travis.

Think about that for a moment. How far would we be in racial equality if minorites who felt targetted in certain areas simply avoided those areas w/o question.

I can understand the questions of his drinking w/ an intent to drive (though I question how you can prove that one in court), but Benson simply taking his boat w/ friends AND HIS FREAKING MOTHER to the Lake is not a lapse in judgment.

ive been a Benson hater since day 1. I will come to his defense on this one. He pays taxes just like everyone else and has the right to take that boat anywhere he pleases. He fricking had his mom there with him. do you really think he was acting ignorant?

I do agree... However, just having one's mom with them doesn't immediately mean one is acting correcting. I went to a Bears game with a guy a number of years back when the Rams were still in LA, and he was acting the drunk fool with his mom right next to him. We all calmed him down,etc...and nothing happened. But it was classless... I've also seen plenty of kid's fathers and mothers acting the drunk fool when at various games... Not saying this is the case with Benson...but it is possible.

ive been a Benson hater since day 1. I will come to his defense on this one. He pays taxes just like everyone else and has the right to take that boat anywhere he pleases. He fricking had his mom there with him. do you really think he was acting ignorant?

Anything is possible, but I do believe there is a reason to generalize a person who invites his mom to the boat is not looking for the same sort of "fun" as he would if he did not invite his mom.

For the record, I got to meet his mom, and she did not come accross as the sort that would get drunk w/ her kid. I sat next to her at a bears/texans pre-season game, and had the opportunity to talk to her quite a bit. She was having a good time w/ a group of girl friends, and seemed as proud as a mom could be.

Maybe I am simply way off, but I just did not get the impression she was the sort that "parties" w/ her son. My initial impression when the story broke was anti-benson, but when I read his mom was on the boat, I simply took a different position.

Anything is possible, but I do believe there is a reason to generalize a person who invites his mom to the boat is not looking for the same sort of "fun" as he would if he did not invite his mom.

For the record, I got to meet his mom, and she did not come accross as the sort that would get drunk w/ her kid. I sat next to her at a bears/texans pre-season game, and had the opportunity to talk to her quite a bit. She was having a good time w/ a group of girl friends, and seemed as proud as a mom could be.

Maybe I am simply way off, but I just did not get the impression she was the sort that "parties" w/ her son. My initial impression when the story broke was anti-benson, but when I read his mom was on the boat, I simply took a different position.

Thanks, Nfo. It's always good to get some real insight on who the players are. And from what you're saying, I agree. Now, I wonder if JA has met Momma Benson?

I hear you and I remember reading your post about how nice is mom was as well... However, my buddy's mom is super nice too...but when he acted like a Bozo...there was only so much she could curtail. He's a great guy...just got over the top after too much booze.

So, I make no assumptions when friends or family are used as character witnesses per se...

If he didn't have a boatload of hotties and buddies, and it were just his mom and his grandad or something...I'd feel diffferently. But, I thik there is certainly room to question...

QFT. Exactly what I thought when I heard JA's comments.

I heard this on the SCORE, so I don't presume to be original, but I thought this summed it up: The water-cops asked Cedric to step onto their boat. He refused. If he doesn't say no--the situation doesn't escalate. Period.

Lets say your driving a car and you get stuck in a "safety check" (which has happened to me on several occassions in IL). Innocent or not, if the cop ever asked me to step out of the car & I refused, they'd immediately call for back-up and I'd probably be dragged out by my neck and make the high-light real on COPS.

Tank Johnson threw a fit when they asked him to move his limo & John Gilmore was arrested for pot after he refused to leave a tavern (both a few years ago.) If it's you or me, nobody gives a damn. If it's an NFL player, PFT resets their "days without an arrest meter"

What I'm saying is that right or wrong, by Cedric not being complient, he put himself in a bad situation. I don't know how in the hell they could have arrested him for driving the boat drunk, when he wasn't even driving the boat at the time.

I heard this on the SCORE, so I don't presume to be original, but I thought this summed it up: The water-cops asked Cedric to step onto their boat. He refused. If he doesn't say no--the situation doesn't escalate. Period.

Lets say your driving a car and you get stuck in a "safety check" (which has happened to me on several occassions in IL). Innocent or not, if the cop ever asked me to step out of the car & I refused, they'd immediately call for back-up and I'd probably be dragged out by my neck and make the high-light real on COPS.

Tank Johnson threw a fit when they asked him to move his limo & John Gilmore was arrested for pot after he refused to leave a tavern (both a few years ago.) If it's you or me, nobody gives a damn. If it's an NFL player, PFT resets their "days without an arrest meter"

What I'm saying is that right or wrong, by Cedric not being complient, he put himself in a bad situation. I don't know how in the hell they could have arrested him for driving the boat drunk, when he wasn't even driving the boat at the time.

From the info we have so far...that doesn't sound right at all. If he said no to getting on the cops boat...then the conflict or arrest or whatever, would have happened on Ceds boat. I haven't heard that from anywhere. He did indeed get on the cops boat and the situation escalated sometime after that....

From the info we have so far...that doesn't sound right at all. If he said no to getting on the cops boat...then the conflict or arrest or whatever, would have happened on Ceds boat. I haven't heard that from anywhere. He did indeed get on the cops boat and the situation escalated sometime after that....

I believe he got on the cops boat without an issue. After the initial field sobriety testing, which the cops say he failed and he said he did not, they told him they needed to take him ashore for additional tests. This is when it escalated.

again i would like to emphasize these points...

1. the boat was at anchor and unless these water nazi's saw benson 'operate' or drive his boat to that location of anchor and immediately pulled up to test him then there is absolutely no possible reason to test him for anything other than having the required safety equipment on board. the boat was not being operated on any waterways under any definition of law if it was not free drifting with or without a line and it was out of the navigational channel or a restricted area.

2. other than a breathalizer test, these clowns should know the law and the effects of giving a physical sobriety test NOT only on a moored boat but even on a dock. it's inconclusive and ridiculous to do so because of movement due to wind, current or wave action or just the movement on a vessel due to passengers moving about. it should be conducted on dry land if possible and warranted in which they had no reason legally to do so as the boat was not being operated.

3. by singling out benson from a number of people on his boat, whether the he was owner or not, to administer an unwarranted illegal test, they harassed him specifically by not asking everyone on board to submit to a sobriety test. there would have been no possible way without a qui ji board to determine WHO would even be the operator of the boat when benson's party decided to leave and whether at that time if any or all involved would have been legally sober and able to operate his vessel.

ON QUESTION..

in an instance of a sobriety test doesn't the officer have to board the offending vessel to give the test? although a vessel can be boarded if there is a legitimate reason to believe there is a violation of law, i have to question whether they can force someone to leave their vessel in the first place without probable cause.

on final note: i want to reiterate that the laws for auto's and the laws for boating are NOT the same and not even similar with the exception of the operator subject to sobriety only. it is not illegal to drink on a boat, it is not illegal to have open containers on a boat. it is not illegal for the operator of a boat to drink as long as he does not operate the boat in any manner until he is sober.

Naw, he was just piloting a boat while intoxicated. No big deal there. :rolleyes:

Naw, he was just piloting a boat while intoxicated. No big deal there. :rolleyes:

Hard to drive a boat when it's anchored down. He REALLY must have been wasted to try that.

Look, the police supposedly boarded the boat for a random safety check, not because he was swerving or doing donuts in the water. Witnesses have supported Benson's claims that he was not drunk and the police went to far. Whether or not to believe those witnesses is up for debate, but rushing to a conclusion on either side when the details are so contended is not very wise, imo.

Hard to drive a boat when it's anchored down. He REALLY must have been wasted to try that.

Look, the police supposedly boarded the boat for a random safety check, not because he was swerving or doing donuts in the water. Witnesses have supported Benson's claims that he was not drunk and the police went to far. Whether or not to believe those witnesses is up for debate, but rushing to a conclusion on either side when the details are so contended is not very wise, imo.

Can someone please provide a link to an article that says that boat was anchored.

Can someone please provide a link to an article that says that boat was anchored.

I call BS about the anchor thing. Someone fabricated that. Check out the following quote:

Snyder stopped Benson's 30-foot Cobalt boat Saturday night for a safety inspection, according to the report.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...enson06.article

Why would Snyder, the LCRA officer, STOP the boat if it was anchored?

So clearly Benson was operating the boat, they were partying, the official stops the boat, Benson is friendly and cooperates, they do safety inspection and probably notice all they alcohol on board, Benson then gets annoyed when they want him to do multiple field sobriety tests, they ask him to board their boat, he gets more pissed off, then gets pepper-sprayed and dragged all over the place for not cooperating. I am sure they didn't need to do all that, but it is fairly easy for them to justify the force used if they felt threatened (it is subjective). At least he didn't get tasered near water.