Url plans to sit out from mini-camp...

TNrick

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe next time theyll poll fans to see if they approve what means they use as leverage to negotiate their contracts.

You're a funny guy. ;)

Bottom line, I respect your opinion but simply do not agree with you. No need for further discussion on this topic.

Peace :dabears

Maybe next time theyll poll fans to see if they approve what means they use as leverage to negotiate their contracts.

Its nothing really bad. We just disagree. I would like to see that stuff handled behind closed doors. It has the potential to be a PR nightmare if it keeps going. And we all know that URl is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I'm sure he'll say something stupid along the way.

Its nothing really bad. We just disagree. I would like to see that stuff handled behind closed doors. It has the potential to be a PR nightmare if it keeps going. And we all know that URl is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I'm sure he'll say something stupid along the way.

I think everyone would like to see this handled behind closed doors. I also think that Brians first attempts to renegotiate were probably strictly behind closed doors. That didnt work so now its in the media. I think its important to note that he has said he wants to finish his career as a Bear and didnt ask to be traded or anything. I just dont understand how so many fans can turn on Urlacher so quickly for this. Its business and most of us understand that, and I bet if hes healthy there isnt a chance he isnt playing in week 1. I think Urlacher deserves some slack because hes played balls out for the Bears his entire career and has been a great teammate and does great things in the community. Hes never bashed a teammate or the organization and hes meant a lot to the franchise and the fans and if theres one person who I think people should wait to see what happens before calling him selfish or crucify him. There were people in this thread even saying things like he isnt very intelligent and how stupid he is. It puts things into perspective, stuff like this situation proves why athletes should probably look out for their best interest and not care about the team or fans because obviously theyll turn on you quickly.

I think you summed up the situation nicely there...

I personally won't worry until he starts missing regular training camp. And even then...it will depend. Things have a way of working out.

I think everyone would like to see this handled behind closed doors. I also think that Brians first attempts to renegotiate were probably strictly behind closed doors. That didnt work so now its in the media. I think its important to note that he has said he wants to finish his career as a Bear and didnt ask to be traded or anything. I just dont understand how so many fans can turn on Urlacher so quickly for this. Its business and most of us understand that, and I bet if hes healthy there isnt a chance he isnt playing in week 1. I think Urlacher deserves some slack because hes played balls out for the Bears his entire career and has been a great teammate and does great things in the community. Hes never bashed a teammate or the organization and hes meant a lot to the franchise and the fans and if theres one person who I think people should wait to see what happens before calling him selfish or crucify him. There were people in this thread even saying things like he isnt very intelligent and how stupid he is. It puts things into perspective, stuff like this situation proves why athletes should probably look out for their best interest and not care about the team or fans because obviously theyll turn on you quickly.

lol Its pro football. In this latest era, there isn't one player that doesn't look out for their best interest first. I'm sure Url doesn't sit down and wonder what the fans are thinking when he is making these decisions. Its great to have fans like you because it increases your jersey sales and endorsment oppotunities. But he isn't out there thanking the fans for his Vitimin Water money.

This is a sore subject, it's like your wife saying I'm going to leave you unless you buy me a bigger diamond ring. You know you could do it, but your car is on its last leg, your roof is starting to leak, and you've been saving up so you can buy that fishing boat. She wants the ring because her little sister just got engaged and her ring is bigger and her fiance works at Walmart. So yea, I'm kind of ticked shes telling her friends she's gonna leave me unless I go to Jared's. I offered her a better one that fits the budget that will allow us to fix the roof and get a car next year, but she is still threatening to leave unless its the biggest. My buddies tell me to let here walk, but we've been together since highschool. I'm going to call her bluff, if she's not in it for love, she can move back in with her parents.

P.S.- Can you believe last year she said we should pawn the ring off for a cheaper one, so we can loan her sister some money so they can get an apartment together. Man, I'm glad I didn't go there. <_>

Pure Genius..... :lol:

If I were to pick a side I would have to go on the "Urlacher is greedy" side, not trying to attack the man or anything but I just think when any player in professional sports starts whining about getting paid too little it pisses me off because these men are making more when they take a dump than I am in a year. I just think they should sit back and reflect how lucky they are to be born with athleticism. If you are a professional sports athlete you shouldn't see the game as a "job" there are millions of people out there that would give it all up for one day with their "job"...

But all in all this is the world we live in, a world filled with greed and envy and there is nothing any of us can do to ever stop it. It is a part of professional sports and you can't really get mad one way or the other.

lol Its pro football. In this latest era, there isn't one player that doesn't look out for their best interest first. I'm sure Url doesn't sit down and wonder what the fans are thinking when he is making these decisions. Its great to have fans like you because it increases your jersey sales and endorsment oppotunities. But he isn't out there thanking the fans for his Vitimin Water money.

I know players look out for their best interest first and I was using this topic as a reason why I think its justified. I realize Urlacher doesnt factor in fan approval when he makes business decisions that affect his life, we have to realize though, no athletes do. However, he has done enough in his time here to earn the fans respect and has done a good job keeping it. I also think you mis categorized what type of fan I am. I didnt run out and buy Urlachers jersey and I dont buy products just because he endorses them. I do however, respect what hes done on and off the field since he has been a Bear and I wouldnt let something like this make me resort to calling him selfish or even an idiot because of it. Its amazing to hear you guys bash the organization for things like JAs inability to draft offensive talent, or our coaching staff not using players right and then you turn right around and bash the players too. Are you even a fan of the team or do you just watch to criticize how these people conduct their business? So people hate the gm, the coaches, players that hold out, players that put themselves in a bad situation (hanging out with friends and family on an anchored boat) What Im gathering is that Devin Hester and Garrett Wolfe are the most popular players on the team. So everyone continue to rip Urlacher and Ill keep your seats warm on the bandwagon for when EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU is singing his praises again once he returns to anchor one of the best and most feared defenses in the NFL. By the time the season starts will be right about the time the Cubs are wrapping up their season so it will be a seamless transition between bandwagons.

Are you even a fan of the team or do you just watch to criticize how these people conduct their business?

I am a fan of the team. I reserve the right to praise the team and its members (players, coaches, gm, owners, etc) when they do well and criticize them when they fail or do something I disagree with. That is my right. How would you like it if I called you a shill for the team???? I won't because I respect you're right to your opinion even when I don't agree with it. However, I don't appreciate when someone questions my loyalty to the Bears.

So everyone continue to rip Urlacher and Ill keep your seats warm on the bandwagon for when EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU is singing his praises again once he returns to anchor one of the best and most feared defenses in the NFL.

You need to get off your high horse. Everyone on this sight cares for the Bears as much as you. We simply do not always agree with everything that they do as I am sure you don't either.

I am a fan of the team. I reserve the right to praise the team and its members (players, coaches, gm, owners, etc) when they do well and criticize them when they fail or do something I disagree with. That is my right. How would you like it if I called you a shill for the team???? I won't because I respect you're right to your opinion even when I don't agree with it. However, I don't appreciate when someone questions my loyalty to the Bears.

You need to get off your high horse. Everyone on this sight cares for the Bears as much as you. We simply do not always agree with everything that they do as I am sure you don't either.

It has nothing to do with being on a high horse. Im replying to things people are saying in this thread. This is a message board and its used to discuss and debate topics and thats what Im doing. Theres no need to be on a high horse when you have people saying things like this:

"My advice to Url...shut your mouth and draw your check...or does his back bother him that much? Hmmmm"

"Urlacher's a big baby. He wasn't pouting when he signed the largest deal in NFL history (or something close). The times change, honor your freakin contract."

"hey! man up Url, you signed the contract, now honor it..."

"Urlacher is that bright anyway. Judging by the way he's already alienatied the fans, he's gonna be the biggest loser here."

"I would honor the contract that I signed. My word is no good if I do not. That is how I was raised." (like this has any relevance and is a realistic comparison, who is on the high horse?)

"He whined like a little bitch last year about the media, then he said he was playing hurt, then on top of all that, he has surgery on his neck. After ALL THAT, now he wants the Bears to pay him more money? Jesus, this guy just seems like a complete IDIOT! I don't care what he's done for the Bears. HE"S BEEN PAID FOR IT."

"If this goes on for awhile, people are going to start bringing up the selfish player stereotype. Singletary, Butkus, did they ask for new contracts with 4 years left on their current ones? Even if they were playing today, they would never do that. That is just what type of people they were. Obvioulsy Brian doesn't belong with them. As a player maybe, but thats about it." (this is my favorite by far because of the link posted next about Singeltary holding out in '85)

Im responding to stuff like this and if you look at it as a whole you can see how ridiculous this stuff is. Nobody should compare this situation to their jobs because it is such a different industry and stuff like this happens all the time. So for you to say youd honor your contract because thats the way you were raised doesnt compare because in Urlachers case he has more power than any of us do leverage wise against our employers. Hes one of the top 5 at what he does in the world. If any of us tried to do this they would just replace us with someone else. So I understand the people who dont like dirty laundry being aired out in the media, I just dont see the point in saying stuff like I posted above. Those are simply low blows and they are coming from people who are fans of his which is what makes me scratch my head.

I know players look out for their best interest first and I was using this topic as a reason why I think its justified. I realize Urlacher doesnt factor in fan approval when he makes business decisions that affect his life, we have to realize though, no athletes do. However, he has done enough in his time here to earn the fans respect and has done a good job keeping it. I also think you mis categorized what type of fan I am. I didnt run out and buy Urlachers jersey and I dont buy products just because he endorses them. I do however, respect what hes done on and off the field since he has been a Bear and I wouldnt let something like this make me resort to calling him selfish or even an idiot because of it. Its amazing to hear you guys bash the organization for things like JAs inability to draft offensive talent, or our coaching staff not using players right and then you turn right around and bash the players too. Are you even a fan of the team or do you just watch to criticize how these people conduct their business? So people hate the gm, the coaches, players that hold out, players that put themselves in a bad situation (hanging out with friends and family on an anchored boat) What Im gathering is that Devin Hester and Garrett Wolfe are the most popular players on the team. So everyone continue to rip Urlacher and Ill keep your seats warm on the bandwagon for when EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU is singing his praises again once he returns to anchor one of the best and most feared defenses in the NFL. By the time the season starts will be right about the time the Cubs are wrapping up their season so it will be a seamless transition between bandwagons.

lol. Seriously dude, you are making this WAYYYYYYY more drama than it is.

I'm not sure how you jump from me saying he shouldn't negotiate his contract in the press to all of that. I sure dont think it is ripping him.

I dont hate the GM. I dont hate the coaches (although I am putting them on notice...they need to start developing all this young talent). And I AM a fan of Url. Doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does or love everything about him. He is awesome on the field, but I wouldn't exactly call his off the field decisions fantastic. I dont think he is very smart and dont think he is that great a leader on the field (Mike Brown is an awesome leader and very smart). But I am still a big fan.

But dont call my fandom of the team out. That s pretty weak.

lol. Seriously dude, you are making this WAYYYYYYY more drama than it is.

I'm not sure how you jump from me saying he shouldn't negotiate his contract in the press to all of that. I sure dont think it is ripping him.

I dont hate the GM. I dont hate the coaches (although I am putting them on notice...they need to start developing all this young talent). And I AM a fan of Url. Doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does or love everything about him. He is awesome on the field, but I wouldn't exactly call his off the field decisions fantastic. I dont think he is very smart and dont think he is that great a leader on the field (Mike Brown is an awesome leader and very smart). But I am still a big fan.

But dont call my fandom of the team out. That s pretty weak.

That wasnt really geared at you.

"I would honor the contract that I signed. My word is no good if I do not. That is how I was raised." (like this has any relevance and is a realistic comparison, who is on the high horse?)

The response above was based on a statement you made:

Im honestly surprised to hear so many people with this attitude towards Urlacher. Whether you want to admit or not, Im sure almost anybody here would be doing the same thing he is. Sure he signed a contract, but the cap has gone up a lot and players not even close to his level are making more than him and I dont blame him for being upset about it.

I was simply calling BS from my perspective. You don't speak for me and really know nothing about me other than I am a Bears fan. My opinion is an individual who agrees to a contract should do so with the intention of honoring it.

Again, the only issue I really have with you is questioning others support of the team. This is something I simply would never do especially to someone on this site.

The response above was based on a statement you made:

Im honestly surprised to hear so many people with this attitude towards Urlacher. Whether you want to admit or not, Im sure almost anybody here would be doing the same thing he is. Sure he signed a contract, but the cap has gone up a lot and players not even close to his level are making more than him and I dont blame him for being upset about it.

I was simply calling BS from my perspective. You don't speak for me and really know nothing about me other than I am a Bears fan. My opinion is an individual who agrees to a contract should do so with the intention of honoring it.

Again, the only issue I really have with you is questioning others support of the team. This is something I simply would never do especially to someone on this site.

Youre right about that. I realized the difference later in the thread which is why I switched from saying we all would do the same thing to saying it is a much different situation, which I think it is. I think its unfair to say because somebody would do that in their job that he should have to do it at his based on the enormous differences between the jobs of the fans compared to the jobs of professional athletes. So to imply that the situations are relevant skews the logic of the thread. Which might not have been your intentions but thats how it came across to me.

Youre right about that. I realized the difference later in the thread which is why I switched from saying we all would do the same thing to saying it is a much different situation, which I think it is. I think its unfair to say because somebody would do that in their job that he should have to do it at his based on the enormous differences between the jobs of the fans compared to the jobs of professional athletes. So to imply that the situations are relevant skews the logic of the thread. Which might not have been your intentions but thats how it came across to me.

Understood and it's all good.

Who was is geared for?

You pretty much balnketly made a swooping charge... I wish you'd be more specific on who you are attempting to call out.

More or less the people that said some of the harsher things I listed. I wasnt really looking at who wrote what when I was copying them. Like I said, I understand people wishing this was done behind closed doors, I just think its ridiculous how far some people have gone in the things theyre saying about him and those were the comments I was mostly responding to.

gotcha...

Thanks for clarifying.

More or less the people that said some of the harsher things I listed. I wasnt really looking at who wrote what when I was copying them. Like I said, I understand people wishing this was done behind closed doors, I just think its ridiculous how far some people have gone in the things theyre saying about him and those were the comments I was mostly responding to.

Facts about Urlacher:

-9th player selected in the 2000 draft

-First defensive player in NFL history to have his rookie deal reworked two years before it expired

-Highest paid defensive player in the NFL in 2003 when he signed his new deal

-Top paid LB's as of 2007: Ray Lewis, Balt.,$6,928,571;Brian Urlacher, Chi.,$6,157,142; Jamie Sharper, Hou.,$6,125,000;LaVar Arrington, Wash,$5,630,877;Derrick Brooks, T.B,$4,907,083.

-2007 cap hits among LB's

R. Lewis 9.4 (10million signing bonus)

Z. Thomas 8.0

K. Brooking 7.9 (9.7 signing bonus)

N. Barnett 7.7

K. Bulluck 7.6

L. Briggs 7.2 (franchise tag)

D. Smith 7.2

R. Colvin 6.4

J. Peterson 6.3 (11.5 siging bonus)

M. Washington 6.0

B. Urlacher 5.9 (13 signing bonus)

W. Witherspoon 5.8 (9 signing bonus)

Urlacher is still the Bears best defensive player, his salary is a little lower as of 2007, but he was signed before them all (Lewis 2004) and was given a higher guarantee. Thats why he was signed to 9 years(57 million), so the 13 million could be spread out. The Bears have made him an offer to extend him like he wanted. 1yr ext. (10yr/76million). He'd get 5 million up front, with 1 million added to each of the following years and an added year 2012 worth 9 million.

Urlacher wants a 2 year extension with more than 5 million up front, thats all he's asking for. Is he worth it? I'd say yes, but will they alllow wheel chairs on the field in 2013?

Facts about Urlacher:

-9th player selected in the 2000 draft

-First defensive player in NFL history to have his rookie deal reworked two years before it expired

-Highest paid defensive player in the NFL in 2003 when he signed his new deal

-Top paid LB's as of 2007: Ray Lewis, Balt.,$6,928,571;Brian Urlacher, Chi.,$6,157,142; Jamie Sharper, Hou.,$6,125,000;LaVar Arrington, Wash,$5,630,877;Derrick Brooks, T.B,$4,907,083.

-2007 cap hits among LB's

R. Lewis 9.4 (10million signing bonus)

Z. Thomas 8.0

K. Brooking 7.9 (9.7 signing bonus)

N. Barnett 7.7

K. Bulluck 7.6

L. Briggs 7.2 (franchise tag)

D. Smith 7.2

R. Colvin 6.4

J. Peterson 6.3 (11.5 siging bonus)

M. Washington 6.0

B. Urlacher 5.9 (13 signing bonus)

W. Witherspoon 5.8 (9 signing bonus)

Urlacher is still the Bears best defensive player, his salary is a little lower as of 2007, but he was signed before them all (Lewis 2004) and was given a higher guarantee. Thats why he was signed to 9 years(57 million), so the 13 million could be spread out. The Bears have made him an offer to extend him like he wanted. 1yr ext. (10yr/76million). He'd get 5 million up front, with 1 million added to each of the following years and an added year 2012 worth 9 million.

Urlacher wants a 2 year extension with more than 5 million up front, thats all he's asking for. Is he worth it? I'd say yes, but will they alllow wheel chairs on the field in 2013?

If they do we better extend Mike Brown quickly too

• 2 months later...
Well I think this sentence is the difference between me and everyone else in this thread then. I do care what hes done for the Bears and I think what hes done for this franchise warrants him trying to renegotiate. Everyone is acting like this is Terrell Owens and its just another one of his antics and he is some huge distraction. He has no history of being a problem if anything its the exact opposite.

Since the Bears drafted Brian they have had the most success since Payton retired. He put our defense back on the map and him and Mike Brown are the only two guys on this defense that are left since the 01 13-3 season. Every single player on that team looks up to him and respects him. Im sure most of you guys have read articles over the years about how he befriends new guys on the team when they dont know anybody and about his extensive work with charities and overall what kind of person and teammate he is. He is a sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer and hes played every snap of his career as a Chicago Bear. So even if you guys dont care about stuff like that hes been the one constant on this team since he was drafted and the team has had a lot of success and not to mention thats been without a potent offense for the majority of his career.

It appears the Jamar Williams/Michael Okwo or whoever they would use to replace him era is wanted sooner than later by a lot of people here. Im also sure half of you probably have his jersey and have praised the hell out of him his whole career and have now resorted to calling him a baby, calling him selfish and suggesting we prepare for life without Urlacher. So you might question his tactics or even mine considering I said I would do the same thing in his situation but I question a fan who turns on someone who has done what Brian has for an organization over something like this. The reaction he has gotten cements my point even more, if the organization and the fans dont give a shit about him, why should he give a shit about the organization or the fans?

Maybe we should wait to see if he sits out the season before jumping all over his case too. Im assuming all of you guys hate Lance Briggs too because he did the same thing. Also, Im sure you wont be able to stand it when Hester OR Harris does something like this next year. They more than likely wont have both these guys locked up and if they dont next off season will be ugly because if either one of those guys dont get a new deal they will absolutely do similar things, whether if its they try to franchise Harris or not pay Hester number one receiver money. This stuff is a part of the sport and isnt going to change anytime soon so to lash out on one player for it isnt fair.