Url plans to sit out from mini-camp...

TNrick

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Specifics on the dollar amount still on his contract I am not sure of and at the time that he signed it, it was major money at the time. Remember that they just gave Briggs one helluva deal that has more money than what Brian is earning. Brian was anointed the Franchise Player when they signed him and let him do his thing. Gave Briggs unGodly money and thought that it was not going to effect #54. That is a huge mistake on JA's and Ted's part. Now they have a bit of an unhappy franchise player from the moves that they made. I hope that they decide to do something to show more love to Brian and fast. I would not have a problem with Brian making a statement by skipping mini-camp, just make sure he is there when Training Camp opens.

Specifics on the dollar amount still on his contract I am not sure of and at the time that he signed it, it was major money at the time. Remember that they just gave Briggs one helluva deal that has more money than what Brian is earning. Brian was anointed the Franchise Player when they signed him and let him do his thing. Gave Briggs unGodly money and thought that it was not going to effect #54. That is a huge mistake on JA's and Ted's part. Now they have a bit of an unhappy franchise player from the moves that they made. I hope that they decide to do something to show more love to Brian and fast. I would not have a problem with Brian making a statement by skipping mini-camp, just make sure he is there when Training Camp opens.

I can see Url's jealousy with the $, but still, he's got a contract. I really don't think that missing mini-camp is all that critical for Url, though it would be good for the TEAM to work atogether as much as possible. TC is, as you say, a must and I bet he'll be there grumbling all the way.

I do not recall the specifics of the deals, and maybe LT2 can help out here, but I question the comments that Briggs got more.

Urlacher got, I believe, a $13m up front SB, but as I recall, he had considerably more guaranteed. I thought his bonus dollars were more like $20m, though it could have been spread out over a couple seasons. Briggs got $13m, but not up front. As I recall, that $13m is spread out over a couple seasons.

So I am not sure whether Briggs really got more. Depending on how you word it, it can seem that way, but I question the math. It seems like articles use Urlacher up front money, and compares that w/ the money Briggs is to receiver over a few seasons to compare.

I thought these contracts were loaded on the back end where the big earnings were in the latter years...

Urlacher's contract is a bit backloaded. Urlacher is scheduled to earn the following (approx) over the next 4 seasons:

2008 $4 million

2009 $5 million

2010 $7.5 million

2011 $9 million

Basically, Urlacher wants to tear up his current contract and get more guaranteed upfront.

We'll see. PLanning and doing are 2 different things.

And if he does, he still stikes me as a guy who will be keeping in shape,etc... Odds are he will be starting in game 1 this season regardless.

...or thats what PFT is reporting. I have a question; just what is he to draw for the last four on his contract? Wasn't he signed for some monster money? Anyone??? <_>

Not sure where you are getting those numbers but Briggs contract is not bigger than Url. I believe they both play out at 6 million a yr over the span of the contracts (Url's was longer) but given the fact the Url's contract was signed 5 yrs ago his contract actually has more value over time.

Peace :dabears

Not sure where you are getting those numbers but Briggs contract is not bigger than Url. I believe they both play out at 6 million a yr over the span of the contracts (Url's was longer) but given the fact the Url's contract was signed 5 yrs ago his contract actually has more value over time.

Yea, we actually got Briggs for a discount considering what we were thinking he was going to get.

Also, Im pretty sure Urlacher was never franchised.

I really don't understand why everyone is getting down on the guy for wanting to get more money guaranteed. NFL contracts can be torn up by the owners at any time...the players have a right to get as much money as they can when they can. It's the media that turns this into a circus.

I really don't understand why everyone is getting down on the guy for wanting to get more money guaranteed. NFL contracts can be torn up by the owners at any time...the players have a right to get as much money as they can when they can. It's the media that turns this into a circus.

Im definitely not down on him for it. I actually think he deserves it and think the Bears should renegotiate for him. For what hes meant to the franchise since hes been here he deserves a new contract since the cap rose.

Im definitely not down on him for it. I actually think he deserves it and think the Bears should renegotiate for him. For what hes meant to the franchise since hes been here he deserves a new contract since the cap rose.

The only issue I have is that more and more NFL players are doing this. This is not just an Urlacher thing.

They are basically playing for their huge signing bonuses, then 2-3 years later, wanting another one. That must be nice. There have been numerous franchise players that have even taken pay cuts to make their team better. This seems like a selfish move. I could see if he had 2 years remaining, or even 3, but not 4 years. All he did was sign the long deal to get a bunch of up front money, and now wants another payday thru a signing bonus. To make matters worse, he is doing this after what is widely considered a down year for him.

Like LT said, Urlacher wants his contract torn up. The Bears are willing to give him an extension on his contract. With the injury Urlacher suffered, I'm sure he wants to have that money moved up so he can retire in a year or two. He's probably looking at 4 years knowing he won't be able to play those out.

The bad part, as much as I'd like to see Urlacher get re-rewarded, the Bears probably see the writing on the wall also. If they tear up his contract, give him bucko bucks upfront like he wants, you'll probably see him take the money and run. Will he have the heart to play up to that contract and play out the number of years on it, or conserve his body so he can enjoy the rest of his life?

I believe the result will be that the Bears may up there offer a little on the extension, Brian will continue to hold out maybe up until the season starts. The Bears will not budge after there next offer, and Brian will have to play or end up with nothing. Brian's in it for the money now, knowing he'll never make it the final 4 years. Laurinitis anybody?

This seems like a selfish move. I could see if he had 2 years remaining, or even 3, but not 4 years. All he did was sign the long deal to get a bunch of up front money, and now wants another payday thru a signing bonus. To make matters worse, he is doing this after what is widely considered a down year for him.

Agreed. Not to mention the embarrassment factor. First he had the child custody dispute that made all the papers. Which that's not a big deal either way, just like what Cedric did is not a big deal. This is probably true of most NFL teams, but it sucks when all the news stories about your team is negative in a non-football related way.

But getting back to Urlacher, his anger with the local media makes him seem half-nuts. He started a blog a foxsports.com??? I'm guessing chicagobears.com was THRILLED about that.

Now he's telling the media he won't report to mini-camp 18 days before it even starts. Why is he even talking to the media??? How important is mini-camp for these veterans anyway? It didn't hurt Lance missing 2 years in a row.

If I'm Angelo, I'd tell him to quit making an arse out of himself and then we'll talk.

The Bears made an offer. Url didn't like it - too bad. No way do you tear up his contract. Wait it out and maybe give him some additional coin if necessary. He will be on the field when the season starts. He has too many mouths to feed and I'm sure the endorsements he has will be putting pressure on him to play).

more per PFT

Urlacher Continues To Tell Everyone He’s Skipping Minicamp

Posted by Josh Alper on May 14, 2008, 11:31 a.m.

Brian Urlacher continued his media tour by chatting with Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune, who didn’t credit Michael Silver of Yahoo! with scooping him, about his plans to skip minicamp. $8,000 in fines isn’t going to be enough to shake Urlacher into changing his mind.

“Yeah, it would bug me to get fined, but it’s my choice,” he said. “Unless something happens [with the contract] between now and then, I won’t be there.”

Urlacher’s got every right to ask for more money but it’s hard to find much about his complaints to agree with. He signed a nine-year contract and then uses a rise in the salary cap as part of his rationale for wanting a new deal. What did he think would happen over the course of a decade? He either got bad advice or misunderstood the nature of a contract, either way that’s his own fault.

His other gripe, the right of a team to cut a player if they don’t perform, is a long-standing issue in the CBA between the league and the players. It should be revisited but Urlacher and others need to realize their signing bonuses will have to come down as a result because that’s what they get for giving up guaranteed money down the road.

The Bears made a reasonable offer to Urlacher, a $5 million bonus with $1 million per year through reachable playing time incentives and one more year tacked on with $9 million base salary, and he rejected it. My guess is he wants more up front because he’s worried about making it through the life of the contract.