Url plans to sit out from mini-camp...

TNrick

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isnt a player in Chicago sports today that is more loved and respected than Urlacher. I hope they get this straightened out soon and it doesnt become a distraction. I personally think they should renegotiate his contract for him.

He had that mantle. I think it is being passed to Devin.

Peace :dabears

I still say it's his back. He looked hurt while playing early last season. The intensity was gone from his game and it was obvious that something was up. He claims that it was arthur and it may have been but the wrong thing to do is make the statement "I had some arthritis in my back but it's ok now" and then try to get your team to give you more money the following season... ...hey! man up Url, you signed the contract, now honor it...

Urlacher also just had surgery on his neck. They said it was a minor procedure, but any surgery on your neck is major, especially when you play MLB for a living.

I think Angelo id handling the situaqtion perfectly. He made his final offer, Url either takes it or he doesn't. If he don't show up for mandatory camps, he'll be fined. If he wants to retire, he can do that but that wouldn't be too bright, but then again, I'm not sure Urlacher is that bright anyway. Judging by the way he's already alienatied the fans, he's gonna be the biggest loser here.

When people call having 123 tackles 5 ints and 5 sacks an off season and are speculating he was more injured and thats what hindered him it gives you an idea of what caliber athlete he is. I understand the concern about having a bad season when we thought we were poised to rip through the NFC last year but MLB was never an issue last year. Vasher, Mike Brown and Dvoraceks injuries is what killed our defense, not to mention that since our offense wasnt able to score so all the pressure was put on guys like Urlacher, Harris and Tillman who all had to play hurt to keep our defense afloat.

Im honestly surprised to hear so many people with this attitude towards Urlacher. Whether you want to admit or not, Im sure almost anybody here would be doing the same thing he is. Sure he signed a contract, but the cap has gone up a lot and players not even close to his level are making more than him and I dont blame him for being upset about it.

Im honestly surprised to hear so many people with this attitude towards Urlacher. Whether you want to admit or not, Im sure almost anybody here would be doing the same thing he is. Sure he signed a contract, but the cap has gone up a lot and players not even close to his level are making more than him and I dont blame him for being upset about it.

I would honor the contract that I signed. My word is no good if I do not. That is how I was raised.

I thought Brian had a fairly good yr. Not his best but better than at least 90% at his position. I think the what bothers me most is I do not see him being a very good face of the franchise at this point. Case in point - last yr, after his back injury was revealed, he started acting like a child setting up his own blog on another site and answer the press in one word comments. He looked like an ass. Be a man. If you don't want to speak to the press - then just say no comment.

I love Brian like any other Bears fan and want him to retire as a Bear. He has been handsomely rewarded for his contribution to the team. He has several endorsement deals because he is currently the face of the Chicago Bears. You think if he was the face of the Az Cardinatls he would get the same opportunities - no way. They have offered him an extension. He needs to understand how good he has it and that the Bears have made a good faith offering - something they do not have to do since he has 4 more yrs on his contract.

Brian - Pick up the phone and tell your agent you want to meet with Angelo. Get yourself back with the team and something will be worked out.

Peace:dabears

I would honor the contract that I signed. My word is no good if I do not. That is how I was raised.

I thought Brian had a fairly good yr. Not his best but better than at least 90% at his position. I think the what bothers me most is I do not see him being a very good face of the franchise at this point. Case in point - last yr, after his back injury was revealed, he started acting like a child setting up his own blog on another site and answer the press in one word comments. He looked like an ass. Be a man. If you don't want to speak to the press - then just say no comment.

I love Brian like any other Bears fan and want him to retire as a Bear. He has been handsomely rewarded for his contribution to the team. He has several endorsement deals because he is currently the face of the Chicago Bears. You think if he was the face of the Az Cardinatls he would get the same opportunities - no way. They have offered him an extension. He needs to understand how good he has it and that the Bears have made a good faith offering - something they do not have to do since he has 4 more yrs on his contract.

Brian - Pick up the phone and tell your agent you want to meet with Angelo. Get yourself back with the team and something will be worked out.

Peace:dabears

Thats easy to say from our perspective but theres a lot more to it than simply saying you would honor the contract. First of all, the teams dont always honor their ends of contracts. People seem to think this is worse because of the scale of money they make but thats an unfair way to look at it. If you were one of the top five people in your work field and they were bringing in new guys not as talented as you and paying them much more because the companies payroll budget went up but they kept your salary where it was because you signed a contract years ago when people werent making the kind of money they are now anybody would be upset about it and it shouldnt change because of the amount of money they make, its the same principle. This is something athletes have been doing for a while to so its not like this is unprecedented, they use whatever leverage they can and thats their right.

The shelf life for athletes is very short and could end at any time. Who are we to judge someone for trying to accumulate as much as they can so him and his family can live comfortably for the rest of their lives when he retires. he doesnt owe anything to any of us and I still think anybody in his situation would do the same thing.

Thats easy to say from our perspective but theres a lot more to it than simply saying you would honor the contract. First of all, the teams dont always honor their ends of contracts. People seem to think this is worse because of the scale of money they make but thats an unfair way to look at it. If you were one of the top five people in your work field and they were bringing in new guys not as talented as you and paying them much more because the companies payroll budget went up but they kept your salary where it was because you signed a contract years ago when people werent making the kind of money they are now anybody would be upset about it and it shouldnt change because of the amount of money they make, its the same principle. This is something athletes have been doing for a while to so its not like this is unprecedented, they use whatever leverage they can and thats their right.

The shelf life for athletes is very short and could end at any time. Who are we to judge someone for trying to accumulate as much as they can so him and his family can live comfortably for the rest of their lives when he retires. he doesnt owe anything to any of us and I still think anybody in his situation would do the same thing.

Your argument is that teams don't always honor their ends of the contracts?????? Nonsense. Brian Urlacher knew damn good and well when he accepted that signing bonus that the salary caps were going to go up. Why did he sign such a long term deal? By the way, that big fat signing bonus is negotiated by the players to ensure they get their money upfront in case something happen so just because teams cut players DOES NOT mean the aren't honoring their end of the contract. So I guess the Bears are to blame that Urlacher negotiated a bad deal? That is if you call what he's been making a bad deal. Ya know, Urlacher brought all of this upon himself. He whined like a little bitch last year about the media, then he said he was playing hurt, then on top of all that, he has surgery on his neck. After ALL THAT, now he wants the Bears to pay him more money? Jesus, this guy just seems like a complete IDIOT! I don't care what he's done for the Bears. HE"S BEEN PAID FOR IT.

Your argument is that teams don't always honor their ends of the contracts?????? Nonsense. Brian Urlacher knew damn good and well when he accepted that signing bonus that the salary caps were going to go up. Why did he sign such a long term deal? By the way, that big fat signing bonus is negotiated by the players to ensure they get their money upfront in case something happen so just because teams cut players DOES NOT mean the aren't honoring their end of the contract. So I guess the Bears are to blame that Urlacher negotiated a bad deal? That is if you call what he's been making a bad deal. Ya know, Urlacher brought all of this upon himself. He whined like a little bitch last year about the media, then he said he was playing hurt, then on top of all that, he has surgery on his neck. After ALL THAT, now he wants the Bears to pay him more money? Jesus, this guy just seems like a complete IDIOT! I don't care what he's done for the Bears. HE"S BEEN PAID FOR IT.

Well I think this sentence is the difference between me and everyone else in this thread then. I do care what hes done for the Bears and I think what hes done for this franchise warrants him trying to renegotiate. Everyone is acting like this is Terrell Owens and its just another one of his antics and he is some huge distraction. He has no history of being a problem if anything its the exact opposite.

Since the Bears drafted Brian they have had the most success since Payton retired. He put our defense back on the map and him and Mike Brown are the only two guys on this defense that are left since the 01 13-3 season. Every single player on that team looks up to him and respects him. Im sure most of you guys have read articles over the years about how he befriends new guys on the team when they dont know anybody and about his extensive work with charities and overall what kind of person and teammate he is. He is a sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer and hes played every snap of his career as a Chicago Bear. So even if you guys dont care about stuff like that hes been the one constant on this team since he was drafted and the team has had a lot of success and not to mention thats been without a potent offense for the majority of his career.

It appears the Jamar Williams/Michael Okwo or whoever they would use to replace him era is wanted sooner than later by a lot of people here. Im also sure half of you probably have his jersey and have praised the hell out of him his whole career and have now resorted to calling him a baby, calling him selfish and suggesting we prepare for life without Urlacher. So you might question his tactics or even mine considering I said I would do the same thing in his situation but I question a fan who turns on someone who has done what Brian has for an organization over something like this. The reaction he has gotten cements my point even more, if the organization and the fans dont give a shit about him, why should he give a shit about the organization or the fans?

Maybe we should wait to see if he sits out the season before jumping all over his case too. Im assuming all of you guys hate Lance Briggs too because he did the same thing. Also, Im sure you wont be able to stand it when Hester OR Harris does something like this next year. They more than likely wont have both these guys locked up and if they dont next off season will be ugly because if either one of those guys dont get a new deal they will absolutely do similar things, whether if its they try to franchise Harris or not pay Hester number one receiver money. This stuff is a part of the sport and isnt going to change anytime soon so to lash out on one player for it isnt fair.

Sorry man, but its a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Urlacher is my favorite player on the Bears, I have his jersey, etc.

Dont mean I have to agree with everything he does.

And players and agents have gotten around the "teams can tear it up" contracts by getting big guaranteed money in signing bonuses, etc.

And he has been paid well by the Bears.

I dont fault him for trying to get more cash, but playing it through the media and sitting out is garbage.

Sorry man, but its a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Urlacher is my favorite player on the Bears, I have his jersey, etc.

Dont mean I have to agree with everything he does.

And players and agents have gotten around the "teams can tear it up" contracts by getting big guaranteed money in signing bonuses, etc.

And he has been paid well by the Bears.

I dont fault him for trying to get more cash, but playing it through the media and sitting out is garbage.

123 tackles 5 ints and 5 sacks?

I wouldnt exactly say Urlacher is using the media at all. There have been statements of what he has said but he isnt going on tv and doing stuff like Chad Johnson is. He isnt even doing what Briggs did. Its to the point where we dont even really know for sure whats going on, this has mainly been handled behind closed doors. Sitting out off season workouts is one thing but I highly doubt, new contract or not, he wont be on the field when the season comes around. He isnt bashing his team or front office like most players do either. Obviously stuff like this happens, and even you said you dont fault him for trying to get more cash, then how would you propose he went about it?

I think Angelo id handling the situaqtion perfectly. He made his final offer, Url either takes it or he doesn't. If he don't show up for mandatory camps, he'll be fined. If he wants to retire, he can do that but that wouldn't be too bright, but then again, I'm not sure Urlacher is that bright anyway. Judging by the way he's already alienatied the fans, he's gonna be the biggest loser here.

This is just a bad PR move by Urlacher. He is not only tarnishing his own legacy, but also making the Bears front office look like they don't take care of their own.

If this goes on for awhile, people are going to start bringing up the selfish player stereotype. Singletary, Butkus, did they ask for new contracts with 4 years left on their current ones? Even if they were playing today, they would never do that. That is just what type of people they were. Obvioulsy Brian doesn't belong with them. As a player maybe, but thats about it.

If this goes on for awhile, people are going to start bringing up the selfish player stereotype. Singletary, Butkus, did they ask for new contracts with 4 years left on their current ones? Even if they were playing today, they would never do that. That is just what type of people they were. Obvioulsy Brian doesn't belong with them. As a player maybe, but thats about it.

Thanks Prophet...took the words right out of my mouth...

This is just a bad PR move by Urlacher. He is not only tarnishing his own legacy, but also making the Bears front office look like they don't take care of their own.

You mean the same Mike Singletary that held out until the '85-season started because he wanted his 6 year deal from 83 restructured?

http://www.bearshistory.com/seasons/1985chicagobears.aspx (look below "season news and notes"

It's a part of the game, deal with it. I personally believe that the offer Urlacher has received is more than fair, but until he refuses to start a game I can't really bother to care much.

Thank you!!!!!! I couldn't have said it better.

Peace

You mean the same Mike Singletary that held out until the '85-season started because he wanted his 6 year deal from 83 restructured?

http://www.bearshistory.com/seasons/1985chicagobears.aspx (look below "season news and notes"

It's a part of the game, deal with it. I personally believe that the offer Urlacher has received is more than fair, but until he refuses to start a game I can't really bother to care much.

Whether you agree with what I say about Urlacher or not, thanks for posting that link. TNrick, do you even know how ridiculous what you just said was? Like you know what kind of guys they are and that you know they would never do something like this. Seriously, where did that even come from, comparing Urlachers character to guys you probably have never even see play?

I wouldn’t worry too much about it at this point in the year. Remember some of the things that Lance Briggs said a year ago about not wanting to ever play for the Bears again? We all know how that turned out, and Brian Urlacher has not demanded a trade or said anything about not wanting to play for the Bears. In fact, he has expressed a desire to remain with the team for the rest of his career. Another important thing to remember is that all the things he’s saying are part of the negotiating process. There’s a football season and a business season and this time of year is the business season, like it or not. There are a whole host of players around the league who are unhappy with their situations—Bengals receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Falcons receiver Joe Horn, Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. and Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia just to name a few. I have total confidence that a resolution will be reached. If Urlacher isn’t on the field Sept. 7 against the Colts, then go ahead and worry. But there’s plenty of time for the two sides to reach an agreement.

Thats what Larry Mayer has to say about the situation. Granted he doesnt have the resources of some people here where he can call up and ask Butkus and Singletary if they would do something like this but its almost as though he has some type of knowledge about the business side of football. Hopefully this gets straightened out soon so all the people who have called him selfish and even an idiot in this very thread can go back to riding his jock until we know who the starting quarterback is going to be and the die hards can start ripping into them and call them names.

123 tackles 5 ints and 5 sacks?

I wouldnt exactly say Urlacher is using the media at all. There have been statements of what he has said but he isnt going on tv and doing stuff like Chad Johnson is. He isnt even doing what Briggs did. Its to the point where we dont even really know for sure whats going on, this has mainly been handled behind closed doors. Sitting out off season workouts is one thing but I highly doubt, new contract or not, he wont be on the field when the season comes around. He isnt bashing his team or front office like most players do either. Obviously stuff like this happens, and even you said you dont fault him for trying to get more cash, then how would you propose he went about it?

As soon as he started talking about his contract to the media, he was. Then joking about retiring and holding out and all this. Pure jockying through the media.

As soon as he started talking about his contract to the media, he was. Then joking about retiring and holding out and all this. Pure jockying through the media.

Its nothing compared to what Chad Johnson is doing or Lance Briggs did. He isnt going out of his way to go on tv and blast the organization or demanding to be traded or anything, hes answering questions and was joking around about retiring. Jockeying through the media is a tactic that players and teams used and he hasnt used it in a negative way like others have in the past.

This is a sore subject, it's like your wife saying I'm going to leave you unless you buy me a bigger diamond ring. You know you could do it, but your car is on its last leg, your roof is starting to leak, and you've been saving up so you can buy that fishing boat. She wants the ring because her little sister just got engaged and her ring is bigger and her fiance works at Walmart. So yea, I'm kind of ticked shes telling her friends she's gonna leave me unless I go to Jared's. I offered her a better one that fits the budget that will allow us to fix the roof and get a car next year, but she is still threatening to leave unless its the biggest. My buddies tell me to let here walk, but we've been together since highschool. I'm going to call her bluff, if she's not in it for love, she can move back in with her parents.

P.S.- Can you believe last year she said we should pawn the ring off for a cheaper one, so we can loan her sister some money so they can get an apartment together. Man, I'm glad I didn't go there. <_>