Bears coach pleased with Brown's offseason progress

DrunkBomber

How would you assess the safety position and what role do you envision Mike Brown playing this season?

Rob

Chicago

Mike Brown returns to the secondary after sustaining a season-ending knee injury in last year's opener in San Diego.

Mike is healthy and Mike’s our safety. It starts with Mike Brown. Mike’s our team leader, and a Pro Bowl-type safety. I’m very pleased with what we’ve seen from him in the offseason. Brandon McGowan has been productive when he’s gotten an opportunity to play. We really like the ability that Kevin Payne has shown in a short period of time. Danieal Manning has played quite a bit and been productive. And you don’t draft players like Craig Steltz unless you have a plan for them. I just named five safeties, but I like what some of the other guys—a guy like Leonard Peters—can do too. Leonard has really made progress this offseason. It seems like we go through quite a few safeties, so you can’t have too many and we have a few right now.

:pray

I thought this thread was from last year.

Or the year before...

Or the year before...

Thanks AZ54. I hate people who poop on your parade! :shakehead But IF Brown can stay healthy, we are a much better D. And wow, S must go down easily. We carry more guys there than for the Oline ist seems. And we draft S every year. It is a key position, though.

Yeah, the Bears can't fell comfortable right now at safety. My gut feelingis that its the toughest position to play in the Bear defensive scheme. You have to be quick enough to read the play and determine what you responsibility is and athletic enough to get ot the sideline when necessary. Very hard. Here's hoping these guys have the stuff to fill the gap.

Tom S.

Yeah, the Bears can't fell comfortable right now at safety. My gut feelingis that its the toughest position to play in the Bear defensive scheme. You have to be quick enough to read the play and determine what you responsibility is and athletic enough to get ot the sideline when necessary. Very hard. Here's hoping these guys have the stuff to fill the gap.

Tom S.

In all honesty though...how many guys out there are there that the Bears would feel "Comfortable" with? An average performing safety gives you no where near the performance of a Mike Brown.