Cedric Benson Vs. Joakim Noah: Why Are We More Angry at Benson?

tshanno

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=255

I was listening to the radio this afternoon when Lawrence Holmes on WSCR asked an interesting question. Why is it that we get so angry at Bears running back Cedric Benson but we shrug our shoulders and accept it when the Bulls' Joakim Noah gets arrested for marijuana possession? Shouldn't we be just as upset at each?

Holmes' theory is that there's a double standard because the people of Chicago just don't like Benson and because he doesn't perform on the field. My gut feeling is that this is true. My gut feeling is also that it goes deeper than that. It isn't just that Benson under performs. Its why he under performs and its relation to his off field behavior that bothers fans.

Benson was recently fined over $500 and got supervision for going 77 MPH in a 45 MPH construction zone. The stupidity and lack of discipline that someone must have do this in a place where working men could actually get hurt is appalling. It is actually in many ways worse than the other recent indisgression, going drinking while boating despite having been (he believes) targeted by the lake authorities and having been stopped six times in the past. Once again, common sense should tell you that in order to stay out of trouble, you either don't go or you get someone else to drive. Once again a lack of displine necessary to sacrifice and execute this plan is what did Benson in. The fact that Benson still doesn't accept that he did anything wrong even after being called out in the media by GM Jerry Angelo is a double strike against him.

Should Cedric Benson be able to go out boating without being targeted by authorities? You bet. I should also be able to walk in the Austin Boulevard neighborhood on the west side, as well. But if I did, I'd probably get robbed. That would certainly be illegal and everyone would sympathize. But everyone would also know that I probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

The truth is that we deal with the world as it is, not as we would like it to be. It saddens me but that's the way of things. It's something you learn as you mature. It's something Benson has never learned because he has never matured and possibly never will.

Related to this, its been pointed out to me that these should, in fact, be considered "youthful indisgressions" that have

nothing to do with football. Indeed, this is the attitude that most people take towards Noah. And I'd be more likely to accept it if Benson's lack of discipline hadn't already shown up on the field in so many ways.

For instance, Benson claims that he wasn't out of shape last year and that he has only lost 10 pounds in the off-season. But listening to an interview with Mike Mulligan on WSCR yesterday indicated a different story. Mulligan said that Benson was basically unrecognizable out there last week. Indeed, at least one scout has been quoted as saying that he had a bet for dinner with another scout that Benson had the work ethic to succeed as an NFL running back. He

recently gave up hope and paid it off.

This all tells me three things:

Benson was almost certainly out of shape last year, a direct result of his lack of discipline.

He wouldn't admit that he was out of shape and instead chose to blame the offensive line entirely for his lack of production. This points to his lack of accountability.

In order to cover for himself he probably lied about how much weight he's lost.

In answer to Holmes' question, its these three faults that are among the most abhorrent to any fan. They are the difference between cutting Joakim Noah slack and coming down hard on Cedric Benson.

What should the Bears do about this? I hopped on the Internet this morning to find Chicago Sun-Times' columnist Jay

Mariotti once again calling for Cedric Benson's release:

The reason Halas Hall is so loyal has nothing to do with common sense or a realistic hope that Benson will break through as a star.

Simply, Angelo's professional ego and Lovie Smith's stubborn streak are driving the continuing snafu.

If he were talking about Rex Grossman's starting job, I'd have said "Bingo".

But I have to disagree on immediately releasing Benson. The good news is that he appears to be in shape this off-season. Which hopefully means he'll have a good year. But I agree with Mariotti in that he had to be pushed into it and incidents like those he's been involved with lately tell me that there isn't much hope for the long-term.

So as it is, I'd say you give Benson a season to prove he can run when he's in shape and got competition. If he performs, you trade him for whatever you can get. And if he doesn't you release him and let him go to grow up on his own (or not).

I would assume the difference is because Benson was never liked to begin with. Hes been a pain in the ass since hes been here so people overreact to what happened even though it isnt a big deal at all.

Noah on the other hand goes more balls out than anyone weve seen in Chicago in a long time. He puts in a lot of effort and seems to be more concerned with winning so people will be quicker to overlook his situation.

I would assume the difference is because Benson was never liked to begin with. Hes been a pain in the ass since hes been here so people overreact to what happened even though it isnt a big deal at all.

BINGO. If Benson was putting up 1200 yards a season, we would be saying it is no big deal...but since he has basically been crap the whole time, fans tend to make mountains out of mole hills. I say it is no big deal. Everyone has driven over the posted speed limit at least once in thier and i am sure he did not have any ill intent on the boat with his mother present. I am willing to give him one more chance to prove himself on the field.

The reason is that Chicago Bears fans are some of the most unreasonable fans in their expectations and treatment of players. Alot of times they hate just to hate. Ced has had ONE bad year. Two years ago he was pushing TJ for playing time looking great at the end of the year. Two years ago the hate was on Rex for being simply inconsistant. No props were given for his good games, but hate was piled on for his bad games. Even today, we have people on this board who WILL NOT acknowledge his positive games and stats. Last year it was becoming old hat to hate Rex so the torch was passed to Ced. It started when they traded TJ away, even though TJ was an above average back at best who was helped by the platoon situation with Ced and an oline who was apparently playing above their heads.

Shoot we have people on the board who call a kid who has shown potential,vagina and woman because he gets hurt, like that is his choice. Even though we have vets that get hurt just as much.

I very much believe that Rex should have went elsewhere this offseason for the simple fact that he will NEVER be given a fair shake in Chicago. Even if he plays all world, the first sack he takes or pick he throws people will be all over him.

Sometimes you gotta have patience.

And the reason no one cares about Noah is that once Jordan left, people simple stopped caring about the Bulls.

I very much believe that Rex should have went elsewhere this offseason for the simple fact that he will NEVER be given a fair shake in Chicago. Even if he plays all world, the first sack he takes or pick he throws people will be all over him.

I agree on this fact. I was extremely suprised Rex chose to stick around one more year.

Peace :dabears

My top five

1. Because people in Chicago, and Chicago sports fans in general, care more about the Bears than the Bulls.

2. Because Benson has been a pain in the ass from the on-set, and Noah has not.

3. Because Benson looks lethargic half of the time, and the rest of the time he looks slower. Noah on the other hand looks like he's had speed, not pot.

4. Because it's something almost expected out of basketball nowadays. The NBA is saturated with bad-apples, and one guy from the Mavericks basically came out and said this year that the majority of the league engages in illegal drug usage.

5. Because Benson was brought in to replace a guy who was nearly universally liked as a player and a teammate, while Noah wasn't necessarily replacing anyone specifically.

BINGO. If Benson was putting up 1200 yards a season, we would be saying it is no big deal...but since he has basically been crap the whole time, fans tend to make mountains out of mole hills.

It isn't just that he's been crap. IMO its also *why* he's been crap. Shows up out of shape. Isn't accountable for his mistakes. Won't put forth any great effort to do anything he wasn't asked to do at Texas (like blocking and catching the ball).

If he does anything at all this year to increase his trade value I say the Bears should unload this lug before he costs them even more than he already has.

Tom S.

AZBear you hit the nail on the head. I hear everyone talking about Noah because he hustles. I don't hear them talking about Noah missing practices, or being late for practice, getting benched for his poor work ethic, etc. Just focus on the fact he'll run when he's on the court, even if he doesn't know where he's supposed to run to. By the way, Noah's teammates actually VOTED to have him sit out one more game! I've never seen that before. For all the talk about how hated Ced is in the locker room Noah has certainly proven to piss off his teammates far more than Ced has.

Bears fans are simply saying that if I think you can play well for us we'll forgive your indiscretions. The 85 Bears weren't all saints yet their indiscretions were simply considered part of the package you get with such a physical group of players.

I find it ridiculous to say Ced put himself in a bad situation being on the lake that day. If he was drinking and driving the boat, then he put himself in a bad spot but just going to the lake to hang out with friends? Someone said that Ced should have been doing his partying in private like the Cowboys of the 90s. It's a well known fact those Cowboys were doing a lot of drugs at those parties. but because it was private I guess it's ok. Of course it must be, Michael Irvin just got elected to the Hall of Fame and we all know his arrest record. Speeding in a construction zone? There's a reason the cop was sitting there and it's because a bunch of people in Chicago are doing that. Funny how nobody has commented how Ced was out at 0300 and wasn't arrested for being drunk or otherwise impaired. Somebody should follow these holier-than-thou reporters while they drive around town.

I agree on this fact. I was extremely suprised Rex chose to stick around one more year.

Peace :dabears

Where else would Grossman have gone to have a genuine chance to be the starter? I don't think he's worried about Orton, he knows the system, and he knows Lovie and Turner won't get in his face and yell at him no matter how bad he screws up.

Where else would Grossman have gone to have a genuine chance to be the starter? I don't think he's worried about Orton, he knows the system, and he knows Lovie and Turner won't get in his face and yell at him no matter how bad he screws up.

Actually he could have followed Berrian to Minny and probably been pretty good. Awesome line, awesome running game and his buddy who only hustles when rex is throwing it deep.

In my mind he feels like he owes Lovie and JA since they gave him a shot.

It isn't just that he's been crap. IMO its also *why* he's been crap. Shows up out of shape. Isn't accountable for his mistakes. Won't put forth any great effort to do anything he wasn't asked to do at Texas (like blocking and catching the ball).

If he does anything at all this year to increase his trade value I say the Bears should unload this lug before he costs them even more than he already has.

Tom S.

See thats that same old stuff Tom. He has been out of shape ONE year. And the staff had asked him to put on weight. His two seasons before that he was in great shape and running well. And where has it been reported that he simply wont put effort into blocking or catching. He was better at blocking this year, and some believe he was better than AP at blocking last year(I believe nfo did a whole piece on that). So basically one in three years he was bad, probably took it for granted, plus his line was crap and he was getting hit in the backfield. The hate was so ridiculous during the season I remember people absolutely ripping him for not breaking tackles IN THE BACKFIELD. Have we become this spiteful as a fan base that people rip a back for getting hit in the backfield? Its getting to the point where we are borderline insane.

Hey I have yelled at Rex and Ced and Moose and the defense and Olin and the oline plenty. But I also recognize that each and every one of them has done things to help us win. To paint a broad picture and generalize things as much as I see I beyond illogical.

Actually he could have followed Berrian to Minny and probably been pretty good. Awesome line, awesome running game and his buddy who only hustles when rex is throwing it deep.

In my mind he feels like he owes Lovie and JA since they gave him a shot.

Grossman's career is about half over already, and he's still playing for bottom dollar on a one-year deal. He didn't stay in Chicago because he feels any loyalty; he's doing it because he and his agent (who no doubt put "feelers" out) didn't believe he'd find a better opportunity anywhere else.

The Vikes spent two 3rd round picks to move up and take Jackson. They aren't going to give up on the kid this soon, especially not when he showed good progress the 2nd half of the season. I seriously doubt they had any interest in bringing in Grossman, except maybe as a backup.

Grossman's career is about half over already, and he's still playing for bottom dollar on a one-year deal. He didn't stay in Chicago because he feels any loyalty; he's doing it because he and his agent (who no doubt put "feelers" out) didn't believe he'd find a better opportunity anywhere else.

The Vikes spent two 3rd round picks to move up and take Jackson. They aren't going to give up on the kid this soon, especially not when he showed good progress the 2nd half of the season. I seriously doubt they had any interest in bringing in Grossman, except maybe as a backup.

lol Jackson is garbage. Grossman is much better than him. Although you might be right about the best chance to start. I'm not up to date on any body elses qb situation but if Josh Mcown could still be given a chance to start, I'm sure a guy who got his team to the Super Bowl would too.

lol Jackson is garbage.

That's what fans of 31 other teams say about Grossman.

I'm not promoting Jackson, and I love that he's been a disappointment for the queens. Having moved up to the 2nd round to get him, and since he played better the 2nd half of last season, I think they will name him starter without competition. Rex would have been SOL, unless TJ got benched again or injured.

I'm just trying to view Grossman's situation realistically, and it's not a bright looking future at this point. He knows he has to play if he's going to turn his career around, and the Bears are his best opportunity. That's the only reason he signed the one-year deal. JMO

Good overall analysis...

I basically am in agreement.

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=255

I was listening to the radio this afternoon when Lawrence Holmes on WSCR asked an interesting question. Why is it that we get so angry at Bears running back Cedric Benson but we shrug our shoulders and accept it when the Bulls' Joakim Noah gets arrested for marijuana possession? Shouldn't we be just as upset at each?

Holmes' theory is that there's a double standard because the people of Chicago just don't like Benson and because he doesn't perform on the field. My gut feeling is that this is true. My gut feeling is also that it goes deeper than that. It isn't just that Benson under performs. Its why he under performs and its relation to his off field behavior that bothers fans.

Benson was recently fined over $500 and got supervision for going 77 MPH in a 45 MPH construction zone. The stupidity and lack of discipline that someone must have do this in a place where working men could actually get hurt is appalling. It is actually in many ways worse than the other recent indisgression, going drinking while boating despite having been (he believes) targeted by the lake authorities and having been stopped six times in the past. Once again, common sense should tell you that in order to stay out of trouble, you either don't go or you get someone else to drive. Once again a lack of displine necessary to sacrifice and execute this plan is what did Benson in. The fact that Benson still doesn't accept that he did anything wrong even after being called out in the media by GM Jerry Angelo is a double strike against him.

Should Cedric Benson be able to go out boating without being targeted by authorities? You bet. I should also be able to walk in the Austin Boulevard neighborhood on the west side, as well. But if I did, I'd probably get robbed. That would certainly be illegal and everyone would sympathize. But everyone would also know that I probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

The truth is that we deal with the world as it is, not as we would like it to be. It saddens me but that's the way of things. It's something you learn as you mature. It's something Benson has never learned because he has never matured and possibly never will.

Related to this, its been pointed out to me that these should, in fact, be considered "youthful indisgressions" that have

nothing to do with football. Indeed, this is the attitude that most people take towards Noah. And I'd be more likely to accept it if Benson's lack of discipline hadn't already shown up on the field in so many ways.

For instance, Benson claims that he wasn't out of shape last year and that he has only lost 10 pounds in the off-season. But listening to an interview with Mike Mulligan on WSCR yesterday indicated a different story. Mulligan said that Benson was basically unrecognizable out there last week. Indeed, at least one scout has been quoted as saying that he had a bet for dinner with another scout that Benson had the work ethic to succeed as an NFL running back. He

recently gave up hope and paid it off.

This all tells me three things:

Benson was almost certainly out of shape last year, a direct result of his lack of discipline.

He wouldn't admit that he was out of shape and instead chose to blame the offensive line entirely for his lack of production. This points to his lack of accountability.

In order to cover for himself he probably lied about how much weight he's lost.

In answer to Holmes' question, its these three faults that are among the most abhorrent to any fan. They are the difference between cutting Joakim Noah slack and coming down hard on Cedric Benson.

What should the Bears do about this? I hopped on the Internet this morning to find Chicago Sun-Times' columnist Jay

Mariotti once again calling for Cedric Benson's release:

The reason Halas Hall is so loyal has nothing to do with common sense or a realistic hope that Benson will break through as a star.

Simply, Angelo's professional ego and Lovie Smith's stubborn streak are driving the continuing snafu.

If he were talking about Rex Grossman's starting job, I'd have said "Bingo".

But I have to disagree on immediately releasing Benson. The good news is that he appears to be in shape this off-season. Which hopefully means he'll have a good year. But I agree with Mariotti in that he had to be pushed into it and incidents like those he's been involved with lately tell me that there isn't much hope for the long-term.

So as it is, I'd say you give Benson a season to prove he can run when he's in shape and got competition. If he performs, you trade him for whatever you can get. And if he doesn't you release him and let him go to grow up on his own (or not).