Bold Prediction for 2008

CrackerDog

The Bears will be good this year, not great.

At QB, I see a solid competition between the two QB's bringing out the best in one of them. I still think it'll be Grossman but I could be wrong. Frankly, the reason I'm leaning Grossman at this time is because I think he let his success in 2006 get to him a bit in 2007. He was constantly thinking, the Bears are "dissing me" by not signing me up long term for a new big money deal. Like the New Years Eve Game, he took his eye off the prize, didn't show the required amount of pride in being his best at all times, and regressed. This isn't a defense of Grossman, I think that type of behavior is completely unacceptable. I'm just guessing he's learned from those mistakes, perhaps matured a little, and we'll see a much more consistent QB out there.

At RB, we've got real competition again. I personally hope Forte blows the coaches away in training camp which will make Benson a role player. It isn't that I think Benson isn't capable of the same sort of revelation I'm hoping for in Grossman, I think he may be. But he's so turned me against him over the years, with his childish attitude toward the game, I find myself rooting against him. If he wins the starting job, I hope he stays healthy and puts up huge numbers. I'm a Bears fan and as long as he isn't pulling Pac Man Jones type stuff, he'll be my guy when the whistle blows. Regardless, we've got three or maybe even four guys at RB who I believe can get it done.

OL - My biggest screams last season, before the hitting started, were about this area of the field. We've addressed it some in the draft. A lot of the success this year will depend on how quickly this group comes together. I still think we need added depth here (at Center, for one) but I'm pretty sure we've got a few guys coming off of injury from last season who may help out. If this group improves modestly, we're good. If they really gel, we're a playoff team with potential.

WR - We'll see. I think QB play will improve if the OL gels. I think QB play will improve if our RB's are getting better than 3 yards a carry. If QB play improves, the numbers our WR's will have will also improve. This is my biggest worry on offense this season. Damn if I wouldn't love it if they could trade next year's #1 pick for Chad Johnson. I think that guy makes this team 10 times better, immediately. And, unlike a lot of other loud mouth WR's out there, I've always thought he was mild by comparison.

TE - while we don't make good use of them in Turner's offense, I still have hope that we can prove we've got the best set of TE's in the league. And damn if we didn't draft another guy who is supposed to be solid as well, as long as he can avoid trouble.

ST - We're going to have the best special teams in the league this season.

DL - Dusty needs to get in there and stay healthy. Is there news on him? I still love this group even without him but think it can be one of the best in the league with him back in there.

LB - #54 will be back. This group will again be special. We've got a bunch of guys who should be pushing Hunter this season for his spot. That's a good thing.

CB - No complaints here.

S - Does Brown still have something to offer? We were OK here last year without him and we've got some young talent coming on, probably. We'll see. Saying good bye to Archie appears to be addition by subtraction. If Steltz is the modern Doug Plank, as per Kiper, we're fine at this position for years to come.

So, to sum it up, I'm not drinking the koolaid yet but I do see this team as one capable of bouncing back this season.

I think the Bears are going to win the division unless they get blasted by injuries. I think the division is pretty overrated. Im not buying into Aaron Rogers yet and the Lions havent improved at all. The Vikings seem like the runaway favorite but Im not buying it. Theyre one AP injury from being below 500.

Honestly speaking, I think it's a total crap shoot. I could see any of the 4 teams taking the division. However, something tells me that it just won't be Detroit.

I think the Bears are going to win the division unless they get blasted by injuries. I think the division is pretty overrated. Im not buying into Aaron Rogers yet and the Lions havent improved at all. The Vikings seem like the runaway favorite but Im not buying it. Theyre one AP injury from being below 500.

I'm sorry DrunkBomber,but i disagree....

We have lost to many key players to be a Division contender...No stand out QB,No go to WR,more of the same at the running game (unless Matt Forte turns into the star we all know he is) and still got Turnip Turner calling the plays...IMO we will finish 3rd, the Vikings taking the Division and the Packers getting in as Wild Card...sorry to be the downer here,but we have done f@#k all to strengthen the team this off season IMO.

At RB, we've got real competition again. I personally hope Forte blows the coaches away in training camp which will make Benson a role player. It isn't that I think Benson isn't capable of the same sort of revelation I'm hoping for in Grossman, I think he may be. But he's so turned me against him over the years, with his childish attitude toward the game, I find myself rooting against him. If he wins the starting job, I hope he stays healthy and puts up huge numbers. I'm a Bears fan and as long as he isn't pulling Pac Man Jones type stuff, he'll be my guy when the whistle blows. Regardless, we've got three or maybe even four guys at RB who I believe can get it done.

Benson will get one more shot. Although I dislike him, I am hoping he can turn it around. Having 2 good RBs will make us a better team (assuming Forte works out as well).

OL - My biggest screams last season, before the hitting started, were about this area of the field. We've addressed it some in the draft. A lot of the success this year will depend on how quickly this group comes together. I still think we need added depth here (at Center, for one) but I'm pretty sure we've got a few guys coming off of injury from last season who may help out. If this group improves modestly, we're good. If they really gel, we're a playoff team with potential.

Beekman is the backup center.

TE - while we don't make good use of them in Turner's offense, I still have hope that we can prove we've got the best set of TE's in the league. And damn if we didn't draft another guy who is supposed to be solid as well, as long as he can avoid trouble.

Clark and Olsen combined for 83 receptions, 936 yds, and 6 TDs. I think this is pretty darn good and should only get better.

You should have said we will have the best special teams again this season.

We have lost to many key players to be a Division contender...No stand out QB,No go to WR,more of the same at the running game (unless Matt Forte turns into the star we all know he is) and still got Turnip Turner calling the plays...IMO we will finish 3rd, the Vikings taking the Division and the Packers getting in as Wild Card...sorry to be the downer here,but we have done f@#k all to strengthen the team this off season IMO.

What key players did we lose besides Berrian?

the loss of B. Berrian M. Muhammad B. Ayanbadejo are going to hurt us this season.....what makes you think that we will win the Division as the Vikings and the Packers both had a good off season,where as we didnt do anything apart from replacing one old receiver with another old receiver.

We'll be 9-7 at best. We still have no QB, our line didn't improve greatly when you consider the fact that Williams won't be great this year, he'll be average, we have no WRs, our D got older, who knows how Benson will be, Forte won't be great as he's just a rookie, and don't forget we still have that dope we call an O-Coordinator.

the loss of B. Berrian M. Muhammad B. Ayanbadejo are going to hurt us this season.....what makes you think that we will win the Division as the Vikings and the Packers both had a good off season,where as we didnt do anything apart from replacing one old receiver with another old receiver.

I dont have much of a case to say why i think that. Its more of a hopeful hunch. Most of the time in sports recently, when teams seem to drastically improve they regress and vise versa. There wont be much pressure on them and they wont have a bulls eye on their back. Lovie has owned Green Bay and we should be fine against the Lions and Vikings.

name='CrackerDog' date='May 30 2008, 03:11 PM' post='39706']

Nice to see you back. You basically summed up what we've talked about since you've been occupied elsewhere.

S - Does Brown still have something to offer? We were OK here last year without him and we've got some young talent coming on, probably
No, we were not OK without him last year.

Saying good bye to Archie appears to be addition by subtraction.
Agreed

If Steltz is the modern Doug Plank, as per Kiper, we're fine at this position for years to come.
Regardless of how he turns out, I don't see us set for years to come.

So, to sum it up, I'm not drinking the koolaid yet but I do see this team as one capable of bouncing back this season.
Capable with no kool-aid... Running for office?

The Bears will be good this year, not great.

At QB, I see a solid competition between the two QB's bringing out the best in one of them. I still think it'll be Grossman but I could be wrong. Frankly, the reason I'm leaning Grossman at this time is because I think he let his success in 2006 get to him a bit in 2007. He was constantly thinking, the Bears are "dissing me" by not signing me up long term for a new big money deal. Like the New Years Eve Game, he took his eye off the prize, didn't show the required amount of pride in being his best at all times, and regressed. This isn't a defense of Grossman, I think that type of behavior is completely unacceptable. I'm just guessing he's learned from those mistakes, perhaps matured a little, and we'll see a much more consistent QB out there.

WR - We'll see. I think QB play will improve if the OL gels. I think QB play will improve if our RB's are getting better than 3 yards a carry. If QB play improves, the numbers our WR's will have will also improve. This is my biggest worry on offense this season. Damn if I wouldn't love it if they could trade next year's #1 pick for Chad Johnson. I think that guy makes this team 10 times better, immediately. And, unlike a lot of other loud mouth WR's out there, I've always thought he was mild by comparison.

DL - Dusty needs to get in there and stay healthy. Is there news on him? I still love this group even without him but think it can be one of the best in the league with him back in there.

LB - #54 will be back. This group will again be special. We've got a bunch of guys who should be pushing Hunter this season for his spot. That's a good thing.

CB - No complaints here.

S - Does Brown still have something to offer? We were OK here last year without him and we've got some young talent coming on, probably. We'll see. Saying good bye to Archie appears to be addition by subtraction. If Steltz is the modern Doug Plank, as per Kiper, we're fine at this position for years to come.

Great post Cracker

Again what key players did we lose besides Berrian?

Looks to me like we got rid of a possession receiver who couldn't catch, ran crappy routes, and threw QB's under the bus.

And a special teams guy, man we have more than enough to make up for Ayanbadejo.

First of all, the Packers have someone just as unproven as the Bears' QBs in there. In fact, he's more unproven. I'd say he has to do something before they automatically get the wild card.

As for not improving in the offseason...that's bogus.

-Addition by subtraction because they cut some of the bums on the team

-MuhMuh's gone and that will give way to a WR with talent

-Chris Williams draft is like drafting two players, because that allows Tait to move to the other side

This is essentially the same team that went to the Superbowl, and if it weren't for injuries, the Bears would have been a 9 or 10 win team last year. This year, without injuries, they surprise everyone and win the division.

Again what key players did we lose besides Berrian?

Looks to me like we got rid of a possession receiver who couldn't catch, ran crappy routes, and threw QB's under the bus.

And a special teams guy, man we have more than enough to make up for Ayanbadejo.

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. I don't see how anyone can be truly upset about losing MuhMuh. He never stepped up big, he dropped balls, ran poor routes, and pretty much was the opposite of what the Bears wanted. The only thing he seems to have done well was be a veteran leader in the clubhouse. Moving him makes way for other WRs to get in and shine, and we'll finally get to see whether or not Bradley is any good...or maybe we'll get Hester more plays...or maybe the rookies come in and shine. Either way, it's an improvement in my mind.

Oh, and Ayanbadejo? Seriously? We're worried about losing a ST guy? He was good at it, but he was still a ST guy. He will not be missed all that much. Some young, hungry player will step in and fill the role.

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. I don't see how anyone can be truly upset about losing MuhMuh. He never stepped up big, he dropped balls, ran poor routes, and pretty much was the opposite of what the Bears wanted. The only thing he seems to have done well was be a veteran leader in the clubhouse. Moving him makes way for other WRs to get in and shine, and we'll finally get to see whether or not Bradley is any good...or maybe we'll get Hester more plays...or maybe the rookies come in and shine. Either way, it's an improvement in my mind.

Oh, and Ayanbadejo? Seriously? We're worried about losing a ST guy? He was good at it, but he was still a ST guy. He will not be missed all that much. Some young, hungry player will step in and fill the role.

yeah I agree,we have been cleaning out the deadwood..but we havnt done anything to upgrade what we let go...yeah we had a great Draft with OT Williams,RB Forte,WR Bennett and IMO a gem in WR Monk.But at this point we are going into the season with NO vet behind Grossman and Orton, even though Brian Griese was a nail at times,we did have some one to rely on when the other two sucked I really cant see us going into the season with our 3rd string being one of the undrafted players we picked up.. and we still have NO real deep threat at WR..we seemed to have past the chance to upgrade with FA and just tried to fill the holes with unproven rookies from the Draft....maybe I should go out and buy myself a pair of rose-tinted glasses... :banghead

yeah I agree,we have been cleaning out the deadwood..but we havnt done anything to upgrade what we let go...yeah we had a great Draft with OT Williams,RB Forte,WR Bennett and IMO a gem in WR Monk.But at this point we are going into the season with NO vet behind Grossman and Orton, even though Brian Griese was a nail at times,we did have some one to rely on when the other two sucked I really cant see us going into the season with our 3rd string being one of the undrafted players we picked up.. and we still have NO real deep threat at WR..we seemed to have past the chance to upgrade with FA and just tried to fill the holes with unproven rookies from the Draft....maybe I should go out and buy myself a pair of rose-tinted glasses... :banghead

You dont need to...all you need is to look at the facts

Yeah but at what point are Rex and Orton vets. In my mind they are. How many years has Rex been in the league and isn't it Ortons 4th year? What we have is two vets fighting for the starting job with a couple of rookies going for the third spot and practice squad.

Griese turned out to be pooh. He lost some of those games all by himself. So that actually goes against the logic of having a vet, cause if he sucks it really doesn't matter

And it doesn't matter if we have a deep threat or not if we can get them the ball. Shoot last year we had Berrian and Hester and we couldn't get them the ball because of a poor o line and Griese's arm strength. Our offense sucked with them. Hopefully this year we can get some of those intermediate routes that move the chains.

Guest TerraTor

Not that i think were gonna win, but the packers will be garbage without Favre...

First of all, the Packers have someone just as unproven as the Bears' QBs in there. In fact, he's more unproven. I'd say he has to do something before they automatically get the wild card.

As for not improving in the offseason...that's bogus.

-Addition by subtraction because they cut some of the bums on the team

-MuhMuh's gone and that will give way to a WR with talent

-Chris Williams draft is like drafting two players, because that allows Tait to move to the other side

This is essentially the same team that went to the Superbowl, and if it weren't for injuries, the Bears would have been a 9 or 10 win team last year. This year, without injuries, they surprise everyone and win the division.

I agree with Jason. That 7-9 record was very misleading. This team will be around 9 or 10 wins and will at least be the Wild Card.