Hester gets it

KiLoc69

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=201295&src=148

His base salary of $360,000 last season was the league minimum, as is the $445,000 base he's scheduled to make this season. But for now, he's willing to be patient.

"It's tough, but I did sign a contract, so I'm obligated to come out here," he said. "I'd be reneging if I didn't show up, but at the same time it's very frustrating. I do want to get paid. But I'm not going to sit here and complain about not getting paid enough. I'm going to come out here and play ball."

His base salary of $360,000 last season was the league minimum, as is the $445,000 base he's scheduled to make this season. But for now, he's willing to be patient.

"It's tough, but I did sign a contract, so I'm obligated to come out here," he said. "I'd be reneging if I didn't show up, but at the same time it's very frustrating. I do want to get paid. But I'm not going to sit here and complain about not getting paid enough. I'm going to come out here and play ball."

Very refreshing to hear. However, he knows he doesn't have to worry because he is going to get paid.

Peace :dabears

name='azbearsfan' date='Jun 1 2008, 09:57 PM' post='39790']

Well it would have sounded better if it didn't come the day after he complained about being the lowest payed Pro Bowler

I read that article and Hester was far from bitching. IMO - he's saying and doing the right things.

I have been ripping Urlacher, and the rest of those who are making massive demands and complaints, but I have held back on Hester. While I disagree w/ giving him what he "reportedly" is seeking, at the same time, he has simply not been out-spoken in the process. Even the big articles that were written a month or so ago were not based on what he said, but what Deion Sanders said.

I have no problem w/ him believing he deserves more money, or that he is seeking to get paid that money. The keys are (a) showing up and (B) not making it a distraction. Thus far, he seems to be doing the right thing.

Maybe Urlacher should be taking notice.

I freakin' love Hester...

I will sit back and wait. Mark my words and this is a guarantee, before his contract, that he signed and says he will honor, is up Devin Hester will become a problem about wanting more money. Just because he is saying the right things right now doesnt mean anything. There isnt a chance Hesters contract wont become a huge problem in the upcoming months. Anyone can hold me to this, similar to how I said Urlacher will be in camp when it counts.

My philosophy if players cared to listen to me:

I think you should honor your contract if you're already financially secure like anyone on a second contract or anyone drafted in the first three rounds...so that basically only leaves middle/late-round rookie and undrafted contract players.

With respect to these highly-drafted and 2nd contract guys, if you and your team know you've drastically outplayed your contract, then you know which team not to sign with after your rookie contract is up. The team that plays hardball will get a reputation, and the NFLPA has already made sure your rookie contract can't be for more than 4 years if you're not a high-round pick so it's hardly indentured slavery. Such players need to realize that the team took a chance on you, you recieved risk-free gauranteed money while they got nothing gauranteed other than your presence, and so the team should reap the rewards of that risk, not you. Your payday comes on the next contract.

The players in the other group, however, have to realize that they are one injury away from being no more than lower-middle class the rest of their lives (an injury settlement should keep them from being out-and-out poor). I understand this is reality for many, many americans, and it's probably enough that at age 80 you won't be able to say that money problems were the reason if you led an unhappy life, but the league makes way too much money off these players for that to be acceptable. Relatively speaking, even later round draft picks are elite players. Amicably holding out for a new contract is then a necessary evil (since football is how they make their living, not just a game), as long as you realize there will be a penalty associated with redoing a contract. You will not get FA market value, you're not a free agent, and you'll have to add at least one year to your old contract (nothing is free). If your team is reasonable, it'll all be enough to provide future security in exchange. If your team is not reasonable and your are not mistaken about drastically outplaying your contract (such that the team's "risk" vs. payout is now negligible), it's time to really dig in and holdout to try to force a trade or whatever you can.

If I were a general manger, I'd be the type to just let guys rot who are holding out on their contracts, but not when they are on a 400K 4-year contract with only 100K guaranteed in total. In some cases, the money these guys make in these few years has to last them their whole lives. Hester was a Round 2 pick so I don't think I'd put him in the "need" category. If the Bears disrespect him, this is the era of free agency, so he'll know which team not to sign with next time around.

With respect to Url:

The way Bran Ulracher was talking earlier almost made me wonder if he wasn't angry at the Bears or something, as if there is maybe more to the story. With many years left on his contract and as the face of the organization, I always figured he had an understanding with the Bears that they'd take care of him in the end...a rare kind of situation for a rare player in a rare city. Then after missing the pro bowl and captaining a mediocre defense, he decides his contract is disrespectfully low? I really don't get it. He hasn't even outplayed his contract that much in the sense that he's hardly any better now than he was when he signed it. Why not wait until after a good year or a year where the team doesn't have to resign a DT to the highest DT contract in the league? In other words, why the impatience? Did he really think after signing a 9 year contract that renegotiating after only a few years was standard procedure? The Bears surely gave up some bigger money to him in exchange for receiving that kind of security at MLB for so many years to come. How are they supposed to feel when Url now makes a mockery of that contract length? Again, none of those tens-of-millions of guaranteed money Brian got on that second contract were of any risk to him; by definition, the money was guaranteed.

Anyway, I'm glad he's in camp. I think the Bears should give him more, but it shouldn't have to be right away, and it's odd that he turned down a pretty big offer of basically free money already.

IMHO, I think his injuries last year made him think about his future. While he is saying he is healthy, and that he will play for however long, I think his injuries last year were a bit of a slap in the face that his career may not last as long as he would like. IMHO, he wants to hit one final payday, and that means guaranteed money, now before he does go down for good, or his play goes downhill due to injuries.

But while I believe that is his reason for suddenly wanting a new deal, at the same time, it is also a key reason why I do not believe we should be throwing guaranteed money at him. He is coming off a sub-par year, as is the entire defense. He is hitting an age when you often see a dropoff in play, and is coming off an injury riddled year. And that injury wasn't a simple "break", but an injuries labeled chronic, which implies it could return and/or be something he has to deal w/ in order to continue playing. Due to that, I question handing him a big guaranteed payday.

IMHO, what Angelo offered was MORE than fair. He offered Urlacher some upfront guaranteed money, and additionally added some roster bonuses for each of his remaining years, thus providing the bears w/ some security if he doesn't last, and Urlacher w/ extra financial paydays if he does. Seemed like a good deal all around to me.

Realistically, I can't complain about the way any of the Bears players currently frustrated with there contract have handled things. Urlacher showed up to mini-camp and I expect the Bears to reach terms with him on a restructured contract. Hester showed up and told the Bears I'm serious about playing by your rules and I think we'll see the Bears get serious about putting together a package that works for both sides.

Tommie Harris is the one question-mark, not because he didn't handle his situation fine (he really has) but because he's going to get the fattest defensive contract ever and that has the Bears scared given his knee's.

Tommie Harris is the one question-mark, not because he didn't handle his situation fine (he really has) but because he's going to get the fattest defensive contract ever and that has the Bears scared given his knee's.

And if you've seen the mini camp pictures maybe the fattest DL this side of Keith Traylor or Ted Washington....