Benson's DUI

jason

Just curious. I feel it nearly serves as evidence in the boating case, proving a pattern of poor judgement, but I'm curious to see what others think.

Has it changed your opinion?

It has certainly caused me to step back and reevaluate my thinking on the Boating incident. I was optimistic at first that Benson's side of that incident was "closer" to the truth. Now, this has led me to change my opinion and I am beginning to think he may have been indeed under the influence of alcohol during the Boating incident.

I am also beginning to wonder if he may have a dependency problem with alcohol. If so, it would explain his irrational behavior in this second incident. I know from experience in observing my brother Phil, who died in a boating accident when under the influence of alcohol, how an alcohol dependency can be a cruel and controlling aspect of one's behavior.

'Pixote' date='Jun 8 2008, 02:34 PM' post='40113']

It has certainly caused me to step back and reevaluate my thinking on the Boating incident. I was optimistic at first that Benson's side of that incident was "closer" to the truth. Now, this has led me to change my opinion and I am beginning to think he may have been indeed under the influence of alcohol during the Boating incident.

I am also beginning to wonder if he may have a dependency problem with alcohol. If so, it would explain his irrational behavior in this second incident. I know from experience in observing my brother Phil, who died in a boating accident when under the influence of alcohol, how an alcohol dependency can be a cruel and controlling aspect of one's behavior.

Well said.

No. I think the fake cops were in the wrong there. There is a clear pattern of harassment.

However I feel Benson is a moron for not laying low.

I don't understand how you can say there is a clear pattern of harassment. Where is the pattern? How can you be so sure they were in the wrong?

If Benson is such a moron, as you have stated, then wouldn't it be more likely that he was in the wrong, and this is just a pattern on his behalf?

I can see and understand how this might not change someone's opinion, but to say there is a pattern of harassment is just ridiculous until proven with facts. As it stands now, this is two incidents with one person. Put those incidents with all the other stuff about Benson since he's been in Chicago, and THAT is a pattern.

I don't understand how you can say there is a clear pattern of harassment. Where is the pattern? How can you be so sure they were in the wrong?

If Benson is such a moron, as you have stated, then wouldn't it be more likely that he was in the wrong, and this is just a pattern on his behalf?

I can see and understand how this might not change someone's opinion, but to say there is a pattern of harassment is just ridiculous until proven with facts. As it stands now, this is two incidents with one person. Put those incidents with all the other stuff about Benson since he's been in Chicago, and THAT is a pattern.

Jason, the field sobriety test is on video tape this time. The officer says he failed, and Benson's attorney said he did very well on it.

At the least, it sounds like a pattern of Police taking a guy in for any old reason once pulled over because field sobriety tests are so ridulously subjective. I would even believe that the Police aren't treating Benson differently than anyone else, but that doesn't make it right either.

It reminds me of several stories I've heard from people where they were taken down to the station for a breathilyzer when they hadn't been drinking. One was a designated driver with an attitude, the second was a bartender that reeked of alcohol because it was on his clothes, and the third was a guy with a stuttering problem. The standard for the police to bring someone in for testing has gotten out of hand because it has surpassed speed traps for generating local income for police departments. One thing I read online lately regarding BUIs is: "If you have spent a long day in the sun and on the water, chances are you may appear to the officer as being under the influence. Your red eyes, wobbly gait, and lightheadedness from dehydration can all be mistaken for alcohol consumption."

I'm not suggesting that Benson will be joining MENSA any time soon, but it's still within the realm of possibility that he's not in the wrong for anything other than not having the sense to keep from getting behind the wheel of a car at that time of night even if he's legally sober.

Well if you say that twice is a pattern, then certainly getting pulled over SIX times for a "safety inspection" is a pattern to me.

To me getting boarded six times for that is clear harrassment. If it was me, they would not have gotten past three without me gaining legal representation and pressing the issue.

Jason, the field sobriety test is on video tape this time. The officer says he failed, and Benson's attorney said he did very well on it.

At the least, it sounds like a pattern of Police taking a guy in for any old reason once pulled over because field sobriety tests are so ridulously subjective. I would even believe that the Police aren't treating Benson differently than anyone else, but that doesn't make it right either.

It reminds me of several stories I've heard from people where they were taken down to the station for a breathilyzer when they hadn't been drinking. One was a designated driver with an attitude, the second was a bartender that reeked of alcohol because it was on his clothes, and the third was a guy with a stuttering problem. The standard for the police to bring someone in for testing has gotten out of hand because it has surpassed speed traps for generating local income for police departments. One thing I read online lately regarding BUIs is: "If you have spent a long day in the sun and on the water, chances are you may appear to the officer as being under the influence. Your red eyes, wobbly gait, and lightheadedness from dehydration can all be mistaken for alcohol consumption."

I'm not suggesting that Benson will be joining MENSA any time soon, but it's still within the realm of possibility that he's not in the wrong for anything other than not having the sense to keep from getting behind the wheel of a car at that time of night even if he's legally sober.

Man that is true in the AZ. It is BIG time revenue for the different city police departments. The set up elaborate traps. Like I've said before, I've gotten pulled over sober numerous times for bullcrap reasons.

Well if you say that twice is a pattern, then certainly getting pulled over SIX times for a "safety inspection" is a pattern to me.

To me getting boarded six times for that is clear harrassment. If it was me, they would not have gotten past three without me gaining legal representation and pressing the issue.

Let's see here. At texas he was arrested for possession of mary jane, and breaking and entering. Then the boating ordeal. Then the speeding (gta style) at 2-3 in the morning. Then running a red light almost hitting a pedestrian at 3-4 in the morning.

To me sounds like pretty damn good police work and pretty stupid of a professional athlete! Were you an intern to one of O.J.'s defense lawyers?

Let's see here. At texas he was arrested for possession of mary jane, and breaking and entering. Then the boating ordeal. Then the speeding (gta style) at 2-3 in the morning. Then running a red light almost hitting a pedestrian at 3-4 in the morning.

To me sounds like pretty damn good police work and pretty stupid of a professional athlete! Were you an intern to one of O.J.'s defense lawyers?

Edit .......... Wow. Just wow. Are you of an extremely right wing politcal group that doesn't believe in civil rights?

Yes. I bashed Cedric pretty hard after the boating incident. Since then we heard the stories about how he came into camp much leaner and faster and how he's going to do all the off-season workouts with the team. In other words, maybe Cedric had finally woken up with a changed attitude. Heck, I was starting to get excited about the one-two punch of him and Forte. With two years left on his contract, maybe Cedric figured out that the world doesn't revolve around him.

Now this happens, and predictably Cedric brings out the bullshit excuse of "not my fault." Cedric has a history of blaming other people and making excuses. This tells me Cedric's never going to get it.

ummm talking about the two alcohol related incidents.

College kids for possession of pot, shoot if they did that for every student 85% of colleges would be in jail.

And I dont know how good of police work it was. They wern't tracking down a serial killer. The river fake cops harrassed him enough until they finally got him for something and the other cop pulled over a black guy in a nice car at 3:00 in the morning.

Wow, are we really getting on this guy for some weed, 2 traffic violations*, kicking down a door to get a plasma TV that was stolen from him, and a boating incident that turns out is probably a case of abuse of power? Seriously, are any of those things THAT big of a deal? They are public embarrassments, but nothing more. If the guy was a pro bowler we wouldn't even be discussing this, and if we were, it would be to defend him.

[/b]

Wow are you a raging alcoholic?

A raging alcoholic? Naw, not a raging one.

btw - I don't appreciate the personal attack. Isn't that against the rules? Don't you know better? Should you be banned from the board for breaking the rules?

A lot of Personal attacks going on in this thread. Forum members do not like censorship so I am trying to refrain from doing so. Calling others raging alcoholics and Nazis is getting, IMO, very much out of line. Referrences to "Were you an intern to one of O.J.'s defense lawyers?" is kind of borderline.

There is no reason this should get out of hand. Just stop the personal attacks. It was a good thread when it started.

A lot of Personal attacks going on in this thread. Forum members do not like censorship so I am trying to refrain from doing so. Calling others raging alcoholics and Nazis is getting, IMO, very much out of line. Referrences to "Were you an intern to one of O.J.'s defense lawyers?" is kind of borderline.

There is no reason this should get out of hand. Just stop the personal attacks. It was a good thread when it started.

OK - I changed my comment from "Nazi" to "Are you of an extremely right wing politcal group that doesn't believe in civil rights?"

Better?

lol. Its funny. The first thing a white dude says when a racial issue is brouht up is "I have a black friend".

And i think its incredibily ignorant to say that racial profiling doesn't exist.

Dude, you brought up their "great police work".

Again I ask where was the great police work??? The "river cops" boarding his boat so many times that they finally drummed up something to charge him with? Or a cop pulling over what was probably the only car out at 3:00am which happened to be a nice car driven by huge black guy?

You should sign those guys up for CSI.

As a guy who lets underage people drink in his house, I would think you would have some sort of compassion for the situation. lol

BTW I think it is hilarious that Benson got "sent home" today from practice. What a moron.

Nothing's changed in my mind.

While we can argue until we turn blue regarding some of the legal details and potential police abuse,etc... I stand by initial opinion that Benson is at minimum a person who lacks good judgement and is a distraction to the team.

I am glad the team has moved forward. I hope he learns from this experience.

And if it is found that there were police abuses going on, I hope those officers get punished to the full extent of the law.

But in the meantime...this team moves forward without a distraction.

Just curious. I feel it nearly serves as evidence in the boating case, proving a pattern of poor judgement, but I'm curious to see what others think.

Pix,

I missed the p*ss n' vinegar as I was in Vegas over the weekend for my bachelor party...

Thanks for keeping things from getting out of control!