Marcus Robinson to retire a Bear

GakMan23

MARCUS ROBINSON RETIRES AS A BEAR

Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2008, 11:16 a.m.

In a move greeted with less fanfare than Brett Favre’s, wide receiver Marcus Robinson has announced his intention to retire as a member of the Chicago Bears.

Robinson actually had retirement thrust upon him when the Vikings cut him on Christmas Eve 2006 after he criticized Brad Childress and others with the team. He tried to catch on with the Detroit Lions - Matt Millen never met a wide receiver he didn’t like - but they didn’t have a spot for him.

Robinson spent three years with the Vikings and was with the Ravens for one season in 2003. Robinson spent five years with Chicago, including his remarkable 1999 campaign. That probably explains why he’s going the Bill Schroeder route in retirement. In 1999 he caught 84 balls for 1,400 yards and nine touchdowns but battled injuries the next two seasons and never approached such lofty numbers again. He never lost his nose for the end zone, though, finishing with 43 touchdowns on his 325 career receptions.

MRob was one of my favorite Bears of all time. It just seemed like when he was given the chance, he made big plays.

He might be my favorite WR of the last 10 years or so.

I met him in training camp the year after his best pro year. Got him to sign a jersey which I framed and have on my basement wall.

Peace :dabears

MRob was one of my favorite Bears of all time. It just seemed like when he was given the chance, he made big plays.

He might be my favorite WR of the last 10 years or so.

He's definitly one of my favorites of recent memory.

Others on that list: Curtis Conway, Bobby Engram, Tom Waddle (gritty WR always willing to sacrifice his body to make a play). There's others but those three stand out off the top of my head.

I'd like to think it's because he has a special connection to the Bears, but maybe he just strategically realizes his glory days were with the Bears and now that he'll be starting his post-nfl career (in whatever fashion), Chicago is a great town to reestablish ties to so he can make money doing Bear alum things and also in terms of networking for career opportunities. Cynically speaking, it's probably better to have money in the bank and powerful connections than a college degree.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for the Bears memories Marcus!

I'd like to think it's because he has a special connection to the Bears, but maybe he just strategically realizes his glory days were with the Bears and now that he'll be starting his post-nfl career (in whatever fashion), Chicago is a great town to reestablish ties to so he can make money doing Bear alum things and also in terms of networking for career opportunities. Cynically speaking, it's probably better to have money in the bank and powerful connections than a college degree.