Who will be the starting RB?

jason

Regarding Wolfe, you can place a huge cunk of the balme on the coaching. The offensive playcalling when he was in the line-up was attrocious. It's like they had no idea the guy wasn't Earl Campbell. Utilize your players. Don't let your scheme dictate that your small scat-back go up the middle constantly...

Line of reasoning? Heres a reason, how bout Adrian Peterson's 3.4 ypc? Cedric's was the exact same, yeah thats definitely outplaying the man that just got canned.. :rolleyes: Not to mention I remember several games where Cedric looked to be starting to run better and better but Dingleshit Turner stopped giving him the ball which made his production worse than it should have been. The one + on AP was his pass catching ability, that is it, he's not a starter, he's a backup through and through.

Why should we expect anything from Wolfe? Did he do anything last year that would lead you to believe he will make an impact next season? There was a reason Garrett didn't get in alot of the plays last season, one is, he's a rookie, and the other is he sucks running between the tackles. And Garrett Wolfe is a special teams player because Garrett Wolfe played special teams last season ;)

I would say that was an across the board problem.

Let's see. How about we run Benson wide outside on sweeps, and Wolfe up the middle?

How about we use Rashied Davis in an endzone jump ball situation, and sit our tall/athletic rookie TE on the bench.

Want more?

How about using Moose on a reverse. That one still baffles me.

I still truly believe Turner is one of the worse OCs we have had in years. Sure, we have had some success w/ Turner, but he has also had more to work w/ than others. In the end, I simply look at how a coach utilizes his talent. FAR too often, we seem to ask players (and the offense as a whole) to do what they suck at, and ignore what they are good at. Rex gets flustered under pressure. I know. Let's empty the backfield. Hey, that rookie TE has talent. Lets sit him down so we can have a 3rd or 4th WR that can not catch the ball on the field. It goes on and on.

Back to the original. One thing I really do not understand about Wolfe. I read how Turner mis-used him, and that if used properly, he can be effective. My question is, why is it assumed Turner will use him "properly".

Don't even get me started on that!

Our coaches were stronger opponents than the teams we faced most the time!

I think Turner gets a pass too easily due to the success he had when he was with us with Kramer and the Super Bowl season we had. But it's all smoke and mirrors.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I make no bones that Turner will continue to mis-use, not only Wolfe, but all our players. I just think having seen Wolfe take on programs like Ohio State in college, I think he can be a good element to the club. We just probably won't see fruits of that until Singletary becomes our head coach and brings in a good staff. :rolleyes:

I would say that was an across the board problem.

Let's see. How about we run Benson wide outside on sweeps, and Wolfe up the middle?

How about we use Rashied Davis in an endzone jump ball situation, and sit our tall/athletic rookie TE on the bench.

Want more?

How about using Moose on a reverse. That one still baffles me.

I still truly believe Turner is one of the worse OCs we have had in years. Sure, we have had some success w/ Turner, but he has also had more to work w/ than others. In the end, I simply look at how a coach utilizes his talent. FAR too often, we seem to ask players (and the offense as a whole) to do what they suck at, and ignore what they are good at. Rex gets flustered under pressure. I know. Let's empty the backfield. Hey, that rookie TE has talent. Lets sit him down so we can have a 3rd or 4th WR that can not catch the ball on the field. It goes on and on.

Back to the original. One thing I really do not understand about Wolfe. I read how Turner mis-used him, and that if used properly, he can be effective. My question is, why is it assumed Turner will use him "properly".

Regarding Wolfe, you can place a huge cunk of the balme on the coaching. The offensive playcalling when he was in the line-up was attrocious. It's like they had no idea the guy wasn't Earl Campbell. Utilize your players. Don't let your scheme dictate that your small scat-back go up the middle constantly...

Yeah I know what you mean, those "1st and 10 draw dive plays up the middle on our own 2 yard line" aren't the smartest play to call; especially for a guy that can't see over his own offensive line.

Ideally, I would like the Bears to do what the New Orleans Saints have done the last couple of years. Forte having the same role as Deuce McCalister ( majority of the carries, tough runner). Garret Wolfe have the Reggie Bush role ( 10 + touches a game, some by pass, some by sweeps or trick plays) and AP would fill the Pierre Thomas role ( classic backup, only used if one of the other two goes down with an injury. I think that would be the best way to use our 3 backs.

This is how I would like to see it played out with the current RB's on our roster. I think Wolfe can be very effective if use right. I just don't see him as a primary back. Forte was drafted to take Benson's place now he has a prime opportunity to be everything Benson wasn't. All he has to be is effective and he'll be a hero. It's a golden opportunity. AP is not a starting back over a full season. He's the kind of guy who can step in and start a few games a season and hold the fort. The longer he starts his numbers begin to fall off. IMO he's a perfect backup RB/special teams player. I like him because he's one guy who always give it his all, never complains, no matter what he's asked to do. He's just not cut out to be a regular starter at RB.

Last year was a hard year to evaluate backs the running game suffered last year in large part due to sub par play on the line. Last season was the first time AP didn't put up respectable numbers and didn't look much better than Benson. Wolf was seldom used last year so it's really hard to evaluate what he can do. He's very quick. I don't think his body would take the punishment of being a primary back in an offense that will likely see a lot of stacked boxes until our Passing game shows any life. The backs will likely take some punishment earlyI'm not ruling out us bringing in a vet.

Line of reasoning? Heres a reason, how bout Adrian Peterson's 3.4 ypc? Cedric's was the exact same, yeah thats definitely outplaying the man that just got canned.. :rolleyes: Not to mention I remember several games where Cedric looked to be starting to run better and better but Dingleshit Turner stopped giving him the ball which made his production worse than it should have been. The one + on AP was his pass catching ability, that is it, he's not a starter, he's a backup through and through.

Why should we expect anything from Wolfe? Did he do anything last year that would lead you to believe he will make an impact next season? There was a reason Garrett didn't get in alot of the plays last season, one is, he's a rookie, and the other is he sucks running between the tackles. And Garrett Wolfe is a special teams player because Garrett Wolfe played special teams last season ;)

The point you have failed to see is that we all got to see Benson. We all got to see Peterson. We never got to see what Wolfe could do.

I think it's comical that in one breath you basically call the OC an idiot, and then in the second paragraph never mention it. Could it be that Wolfe didn't play because Turner is stupid like you said in the first paragraph? Aside from running in between the tackles against one of the best run defenses in the NFL, did we really see nearly enough to ascertain Wolfe's abilities to go between the tackles? Clearly the question is rhetorical, because we didn't see it. Last but not least, you asked why we should expect anything from Wolfe...and you also mentioned the other RB's inadequacies. Well, I'd say the two are related. The reason we could and should expect something from Wolfe is that he's a completely different type of RB than the other two. He's a guy who can do things that the other two can't. If Turner is as bad as you say he is, and the other two RBs were as pathetic as their statistics indicate, then maybe, just maybe, Wolfe should have seen more time on the field, especially towards the end of the year.

The point you have failed to see is that we all got to see Benson. We all got to see Peterson. We never got to see what Wolfe could do.

I think it's comical that in one breath you basically call the OC an idiot, and then in the second paragraph never mention it. Could it be that Wolfe didn't play because Turner is stupid like you said in the first paragraph? Aside from running in between the tackles against one of the best run defenses in the NFL, did we really see nearly enough to ascertain Wolfe's abilities to go between the tackles? Clearly the question is rhetorical, because we didn't see it. Last but not least, you asked why we should expect anything from Wolfe...and you also mentioned the other RB's inadequacies. Well, I'd say the two are related. The reason we could and should expect something from Wolfe is that he's a completely different type of RB than the other two. He's a guy who can do things that the other two can't. If Turner is as bad as you say he is, and the other two RBs were as pathetic as their statistics indicate, then maybe, just maybe, Wolfe should have seen more time on the field, especially towards the end of the year.

I think the state of our offense is what is going to limit Wolfes playing time. Were constantly going to struggle on offense and he cant be out there as an every down back and if we only bring him in to run plays for him the defense will pick up on it.

I honestly think this year we'll be better offensively. Everyone knew what we had with cedric, and knew he didn't have the speed to break off a long one. With forte and hopefully a FA vet such as jones we'd have more of the "unknown" type of offense and that alone may keep many defenses off balance. Kinda like before they figured out that rex buckles when under pressure. Sure they may blitz, but I see defenses playing more honest than last year cause forte is a big unknown and let's face it no one feared benson. I think that combined with the speed of bradley and hester on the field could make this offense similar to the one we had in '06 ( defenses blitzing less for fear of getting burned and a running back with more speed than what benson had), here's to the spiked kool-aid I got for father's day!!!

What I'm looking forward to at RB is getting Forte ready for day one as our starter. AP, IMO is only a stop gap player. He can do everything, but nothing above average. I would also sign a vet if possible. I keep hearing Kevin Jones and I'm fine with that if he comes in with an incentive laden contract that pays him the minimum if that's all we get. I'm also of the opinion that Wolfe is better than a lot give him credit for. I hope to see a package for him as a 3rd and long and change of pace back. My truest hope is that Cedric is the lazy heartless POS everyone made him out to be. That gives me hope that OL is not nearly as bad as thought and the running game will rebound.

Yeah, he's a "Change of pace back." Where he can be effective is in the passing game, but something he could absolutely excel in is the screen play, but considering the Bears are the worst screen pass team of all time that hinders his ability to take advantage of that space where he's good at, which is also why I don't think he'll be as productive as you think he will be..

All in all, I just don't see too many opportunities for Wolfe to where he can get on the field alot this season, I hope I'm wrong but he's going to have to prove alot this preseason and prove that he can be a better blocker as well to see more PT.