According To Gale Sayers: Halas Would Have Bounced Benson

chitownman

It appears that one of our greatest running backs is speaking out against our latest running back bust and is reiterating that the players of today only care about the bank and not about the team nor the game itself. One of these days I hope that this trend gets turned around. Too many Is and MEs on this team and others versus Us and WEs. Here is the link to Fred Mitchell's current column:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...,1618571.column

Halas never paid anyone the kind of signing bonus that Ced got, nor did he have to work within a salary cap nor Free Agency. He drafted a player and he owned the player and they didn't get so much money with their first paycheck (before they even set foot on the field) that they could walk away and never work another day in their life. Times have changed but I think if the league can get their hands around these ridiculous signing bonuses and get a better salary structure for draftees things could improve.

Sayers also said that the players back then wouldn't have tolerated his selfishness either. That's another aspect of our culture that has changed.

We see this, and because how we idiolize these players, it means something, but I think we should take it w/ a grain of salt. Who recalls Sayers saying this about Tank? Who recalls Sayers talking about Briggs, our pro bowl LB, making all sorts of stink about money last year, and then the ferrari incident? Benson isn't the first Bear to get a DWI. Did Sayers talk about them?

I am sure Sayers was asked about Benson, and that is why he has said this, but come on. If you apply Sayer's comments across the board, how many players would Halas have kicked off. Every player that pisses and moans about money, per Sayers, would likely have gotten the boot. That pretty much rules out every pro bowler we have.

IMHO Sayers is right about the overall players in the NFL. Now don't get me wrong we have alot of players that play the game for the love of the game and get paid to to so by what they do on the playing field, but some players that sign fat contracts like 5 year deals and them in year three want more money....come on here.Yes I will agree to getting the most that you are worth so that when your time is up you ae set, but not at the expense of love for the game. IMHO rookies are getting to much money when they have done nothing in the NFL You have vets busting there asses year in and year out and this new guy comes in with 30 million guarnteed to him and he sits on the bench for a year or two with the vet still playing. Sort of unfair if you asked me, but thats they game.Not to mention that the vet makes less than the rookie and the rookie/new guy is in trouble all the time.......... and there is a long list of them.

It appears that one of our greatest running backs is speaking out against our latest running back bust and is reiterating that the players of today only care about the bank and not about the team nor the game itself. One of these days I hope that this trend gets turned around. Too many Is and MEs on this team and others versus Us and WEs. Here is the link to Fred Mitchell's current column:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...,1618571.column

Sayers may be right but that guy needs to stop talking for a while. A little while ago he proclaimed himself the best back ever.

We see this, and because how we idiolize these players, it means something, but I think we should take it w/ a grain of salt. Who recalls Sayers saying this about Tank? Who recalls Sayers talking about Briggs, our pro bowl LB, making all sorts of stink about money last year, and then the ferrari incident? Benson isn't the first Bear to get a DWI. Did Sayers talk about them?

I am sure Sayers was asked about Benson, and that is why he has said this, but come on. If you apply Sayer's comments across the board, how many players would Halas have kicked off. Every player that pisses and moans about money, per Sayers, would likely have gotten the boot. That pretty much rules out every pro bowler we have.

Agreed 100%. Why is this even news.

Peace :dabears

Sayers may be right but that guy needs to stop talking for a while. A little while ago he proclaimed himself the best back ever.

I don't see what's so crazy about that. It's a very arguable point. If not for injury, he could easily be regarded with the others in the discussion. On pure talent alone, and pure production in a shortened career, he's easily in the top back discussion.

Hell, I'd say Bo Jackson was one of the best RBs ever, better than friggin Emmitt Smith that's for sure...but he didn't stick around because of injuries.

I guess it depends on whether one includes luck, health, and teammates in the discussion of best RB ever. If so, Sayers and Jackson are not in the top 5...if not, the prospect of including them is not that big of a stretch.

Was Sayers asked about Tank and Briggs? I'm sure he was asked about Benson because this is happening to his RB position...

Butkus bitched and moaned about loot...he retired a Bear. So, it's not just bitching about loot...it's other factors.

I think you beat me to the punch... :P

I don't see what's so crazy about that. It's a very arguable point. If not for injury, he could easily be regarded with the others in the discussion. On pure talent alone, and pure production in a shortened career, he's easily in the top back discussion.

Hell, I'd say Bo Jackson was one of the best RBs ever, better than friggin Emmitt Smith that's for sure...but he didn't stick around because of injuries.

I guess it depends on whether one includes luck, health, and teammates in the discussion of best RB ever. If so, Sayers and Jackson are not in the top 5...if not, the prospect of including them is not that big of a stretch.

He arguably was the best back ever. I see no issue with him stating that. But I don't see how that pertains to this discussion....

He was an all time great, but arguably the best back ever? He isnt even the best back in franchise history. I dont think there are many people putting him there. Brian Piccolo owned him.

My father thinks differently. He's seen Payton, Piccolo, Sayers, Brown and Sanders all play... He still swears no one would have touched Gale if he had been healthy.

From what I've seen in footage, that argument could be made.

And I think while most would have Walter, I know quite a few that would say Sayers, and not just my father.

I personally think it's Walter, but that could be because I never had the chance to really see Gale play.

He was an all time great, but arguably the best back ever? He isnt even the best back in franchise history. I dont think there are many people putting him there. Brian Piccolo owned him.

I think there are plenty who would add his name. It depends on what you are basing the comment on. If you take into consideration being the best over a long period of time, then he doesn't make the cut. But if you simply talk about who was the best, when they were in the field, I think you would find quite a few throw his name into the hat.

While I do not believe Sayers is the best RB of all time, I do not think he is far enough down the list that it should be seen as a big deal if he says/believes that.

I think there are plenty who would add his name. It depends on what you are basing the comment on. If you take into consideration being the best over a long period of time, then he doesn't make the cut. But if you simply talk about who was the best, when they were in the field, I think you would find quite a few throw his name into the hat.

While I do not believe Sayers is the best RB of all time, I do not think he is far enough down the list that it should be seen as a big deal if he says/believes that.

I just find it a turn off for him to be saying that , especially in this town. What does he gain? Based on his recent comments I think he shouldnt be talking so much. Everytime he opens his mouth he is losing fans like me. He is on sports radio here alot and he comes off as really arrogant sometimes. Maybe I have that context with wi

Side note: I think the argument best rb "if he stayed healthty" is crappy Alot of football players could have been hall of famers "if they stayed healthy"..mike brown comes to mind.

No argument here that he comes off as a pompous a$$....

However, in Sayers' case, it's not a cra##y arguement... He is in the Hall of Fame, based on his short, yet prolific career. Generally speaking you are correct, especially in Mike Brown's case. Similar cases could be Al Toon, Bo Jackson, Terrell Davis....

There are 2 topics going on, one which you mention of belonging in the HoF (which Sayers already is...), and another as to an arguement of who is the best RB of all time. THe problem with the "all-time" question is what are the parameters?

What one guy do you want for one game? One play? One season? One 5 year period? One career?

All those questions probably beg a different guy for each question...

I just find it a turn off for him to be saying that , especially in this town. What does he gain? Based on his recent comments I think he shouldnt be talking so much. Everytime he opens his mouth he is losing fans like me. He is on sports radio here alot and he comes off as really arrogant sometimes. Maybe I have that context with wi

Side note: I think the argument best rb "if he stayed healthty" is crappy Alot of football players could have been hall of famers "if they stayed healthy"..mike brown comes to mind.

From what Ive heard he has never been scared to say things in the media, controversial as they may be. That doesnt take away from how great he was but it makes us want him to stop talking...