Brett Farve

Wesson44

So let's say you have heard that the Packers don't want Brett Farve back because he has retired and the Packers have moved on to Mr.Rodgers neighborhood. Would you as the GM for the Bears make a move for him if he still wants to play and the Packers cut him?

Yes, except Favre himself knew the offense. Let me add that I was only speaking from a logical standpoint. Emotionally I couldn't stand seeing him wearing a Bears uniform. Even if the Bears won the Superbowl all I'd ever hear from Packers fans would be "yes you won but you needed our Hall of Fame QB to do it". I don't want that at any cost.

Yes you sign Farve. You let him teach the Bears the Green Bay offense. Or, he could just tell the receivers what routes to run and draw up his own plays in the huddle. 40 year old Farve would be the Bears best QB Jimmy Mac. Green Bay would not let this happen, but I can not see how the Bears could pass on him. I used to hate Farve with a passion. Now, I sort of admire him as a long time adversary and for the way he seemed to love to have fun.

Not at this point. He hasn't done anything all offseason to learn our playbook. I see more headaches than answers especially given our inexperienced WR and RB.

we do not have a complex playbook as far as i can tell. I dont think it would be a problem bringing him in. I dont know if i would get used to it though...he would have to be real mad a Green Bay to do it

he should just call it a day...they guy is to old to play..anyway I dont think Da Bears would take a chance on him, with our crap O-line he could get killed...

Too old to play? He had one of his best statistical seasons last year and was in overtime in the NFL Championship.

Too old to play? He had one of his best statistical seasons last year and was in overtime in the NFL Championship.

yeah and that was with the Packers o-line..this thread was a was if he played for us..and yeah he is to old to play behind our o-line...the guy cant run or move out the pocket... <_>

yeah and that was with the Packers o-line..this thread was a was if he played for us..and yeah he is to old to play behind our o-line...the guy cant run or move out the pocket... <_>

Im going to have to respectably disagree. I havent seen Favre show any signs of not being able to move in the pocket or anything. I agree about our line not being as good as in Green Bay but that doesnt change his ability as much as it makes it a worse fit. Either way, theres no way it will ever happen, I just dont understand why anyone wouldnt want to improve.

Im going to have to respectably disagree. I havent seen Favre show any signs of not being able to move in the pocket or anything. I agree about our line not being as good as in Green Bay but that doesnt change his ability as much as it makes it a worse fit. Either way, theres no way it will ever happen, I just dont understand why anyone wouldnt want to improve.

Several other things to consider on this...

First, how would the Bears get him? Would they have to trade for him? Because if so, his contract right now is very large and would take up a good sized chunk of cap room. After signing harris, I'd imagine that you're choosing between getting Favre and extending Hester. And I believe his contract also has 3 more years on it...so if he decided to pull this retiring/unretiring garbage again every year, he'd have the opportunity to drag this team through the same crap he's dragging GB through right now. And what price would the Bears be prepared to give up in a trade for him? If the Pack demanded a top draft pick would you give that up for a 1-2 year Favre rental?

On the other hand...let's assume he un-retires and then the Pack cuts him. He's then on the open market. Are the Bears prepared to outbid for his services? What kind of dollars would he command from Minnesota or Tampa Bay, or some other team that thinks they're on the cusp but is unsure about it's QB situation?

we'd only be in a worse situation next year. we sign him & he retires we have even less idea what we have @ QB with Rex out of contract & Orton with 1 year

Good point. Besides, if he comes out of retirement, and I do not believe he will, he certainly would not come to the Bears. He is a very competitive guy and I am sure the rivalry between the Packers and Bears rides deep within his soul.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree there is no way he will ever be a Bear. He might be the only person in the world that could be a positive mentor for Grossman.

Never say never. Chris Mortensen of ESPN who has been all over this Favre story since it began has said the Packers will most likely be forced into releasing Favre. ANd he mentioned that he Favre is most likely to pick an NFC north team like the Vikings or Bears. Well if the Vikings are guilty of tampering, doesnt that negate any chance of the Viking aqcuirering him due to NFL rules and regulations?

Never say never. Chris Mortensen of ESPN who has been all over this Favre story since it began has said the Packers will most likely be forced into releasing Favre. ANd he mentioned that he Favre is most likely to pick an NFC north team like the Vikings or Bears. Well if the Vikings are guilty of tampering, doesnt that negate any chance of the Viking aqcuirering him due to NFL rules and regulations?

No way the Packers release Favre, they would let him be the back up and pay him before they let him sign with the Vikings.

No way the Packers release Favre, they would let him be the back up and pay him before they let him sign with the Vikings.

We'll see what happens in the next 2 days when something will get done. Mortensen said a trade is unlikely due to the face that Favre doesnt want to play for the Jets or the Bucs. Apparently Favre has more leverage than everybody thinks. The Packers obviously want something for him, but at the same time they dont want to end the relationship with Favre and the Packers all together by trading him to a team he doesnt want to play for. Im guessing the next thing Ted Thompson does is cooperate with Favre and ask what teams he would be willing to play for. If Favre doesnt want to co-operate then im guessing they'll just end up be forced into releasing him. Favre originally wanted to comeback and play for Green Bay. They wont allow that, so they should just release him and let him control what he wants to do. Who knows, this is one mega- soap opera lol.

1. Favre will never end up a Bear so it makes no sense to even have this discussion. The Bears front office understands their fan base better than anyone here. There are fans here, like myself, who would NEVER accept him as a Bear. In fact, I'd probably boycott the team for the year he was here. I'm serious.

2. His contract is $12 million. The Packers won't cut him. Teams like the Jets are willing to pay him and trade for him. The Bears aren't in that position.

3. I saw others make this point and you dismissed it but... you don't bring a QB in this late in the game and expect him to make an impact.

4. His own team doesn't want him back.

5. We don't need that flaming drama queen here.

6. I don't agree with those above who said our O Line is shit. I worry about our line but that doesn't mean it won't be very solid this year. We're not very deep but that can be remedied.

7. Favre is an idiot. He's a loose cannon who does what he wants and often screws up. With out inexperienced WR's, I seriously doubt Favre's production here would be better than what we already have. Again, yes, I'm serious.

8. If I forced myself to watch the games, I'd be conflicted. I'd be rooting for the Bears but I'd want Favre to get killed. Each win would be tainted.

9. I've got a 10 year old son. All his life he's learned the golden rule: Favre sucks. It's in our family DNA now. You don't unwind that much hate easily.

10. I hope like hell he signs with the Queens. Best case scenario because my buddy would feel all torn up about it too. He feels the same way I do about Favre and he's a Queens fan. I'd laugh my ass off if he went there and played in that dome 8 times a season. Favre is terrible inside. He'd throw a record number of picks this season. Lord, please let this happen!