Rex winning QB batle so far?

KiLoc69

There are 4 highlight videos on youtube, 1 for each day of camp (

is the first), and 4 commentary videos by the guy who taped the highlights. The highlight videos should be checked out by everyone on the board, very good quality and truly worth it. The commentary is pretty cool too since it gives a first hand account from a guy who was watching it live.

The videos show several nice passes from Rex and Kyle. Benett, R.Davis, K. Davis, and Hass had some very nice catches too. The stuff that didn't make the highlights is what we need to rely on the director for. By all appearances he seems pretty unbiased and so far he thinks Rex is pulling away in the QB battle. According to him, Kyle can hit all the short passes but most of his intermediate and long passes are innacurate and hang in the air. That appears to be a constant theme with Kyle in camp so far. Rex has been pretty accurate and has even had a few good scrambles. Both have had a couple of pics and fumbled snaps.

To those of you who have been at camp everyday, do these assessments seem fair?

There are 4 highlight videos on youtube, 1 for each day of camp (
is the first), and 4 commentary videos by the guy who taped the highlights. The highlight videos should be checked out by everyone on the board, very good quality and truly worth it. The commentary is pretty cool too since it gives a first hand account from a guy who was watching it live.

The videos show several nice passes from Rex and Kyle. Benett, R.Davis, K. Davis, and Hass had some very nice catches too. The stuff that didn't make the highlights is what we need to rely on the director for. By all appearances he seems pretty unbiased and so far he thinks Rex is pulling away in the QB battle. According to him, Kyle can hit all the short passes but most of his intermediate and long passes are innacurate and hang in the air. That appears to be a constant theme with Kyle in camp so far. Rex has been pretty accurate and has even had a few good scrambles. Both have had a couple of pics and fumbled snaps.

To those of you who have been at camp everyday, do these assessments seem fair?

Sure, everyone knows that rex will look good in camp, which is why we won't name a starter until after the 3rd preseason game. One thing I noticed from those highligts is that it seems rex is staring down his receivers still. Combine that with his buckle under pressure problems he may not have improved as much as we like him to. Everyone always bashes on kyle every year, but yet his play on sundays is what matters most. Sure rex may win the comp. but who's going to blitz us in the preaseason as if we're in the game-day mindset? I have believed and will continue to believe that we'll see rex against the colts, and maybe a few more teams, but if he proves to be the same player that we had for the first 4 games last year the coaches better not hesitate to try kyle

What I saw at camp was the same basic difference I saw from both since they have been here and that is the speed of the pass to the sideline.Orton seemed to throw his more on a line while Grossman put a little more air under his.Why is that important? The new rule change that says receivers have to have both feet inbounds even if pushed by the defender will factor in when you throw passes up in the air on the sidelines.Orton seems to be doing all the reads while in the pocket but has been throwing a few passes nose down which is a little more difficult for the receivers to catch. Grossman has been stepping up in the pocket to make throws and even taking off on scrambles but what I have noticed from him in the past is that he will do this in the TC practices but when the season starts he goes back to trying to force throws when he could pick up first downs by occassionally running.Orton OTOH reminds me of former Bear backup QB Steve Fuller a conservative close to the vest type QB that takes few chances.

What I saw at camp was the same basic difference I saw from both since they have been here and that is the speed of the pass to the sideline.Orton seemed to throw his more on a line while Grossman put a little more air under his.Why is that important? The new rule change that says receivers have to have both feet inbounds even if pushed by the defender will factor in when you throw passes up in the air on the sidelines.Orton seems to be doing all the reads while in the pocket but has been throwing a few passes nose down which is a little more difficult for the receivers to catch. Grossman has been stepping up in the pocket to make throws and even taking off on scrambles but what I have noticed from him in the past is that he will do this in the TC practices but when the season starts he goes back to trying to force throws when he could pick up first downs by occassionally running.Orton OTOH reminds me of former Bear backup QB Steve Fuller a conservative close to the vest type QB that takes few chances.

Grossman throws that route as well as any QB in the league. When it boils down to it Grossman can zip an out to the sideline with the best of them. If Grossman can continue to step up in the pocket the job will be his. We need to see them play some preseason games first though.

Clayton said Orton has looked better. I trust him.

Well not to dispute Clayton or who you trust but when I was at TC yesterday there was no clear cut leader IMO.I also didn't see Clayton standing anywhere around the practice field yesterday.

I was at Fridays camp and first sat behind the QB's, RB's, WR's as they worked on there individual routes. I was by far the most impressed with Rex on putting the ball exactly in the right place for the reciever to make the catch. The routes were all timing routes were the recevier broke on a slant about 15 yards out. Orton was alright, but there were many balls not catchable. The rookies looked worse yet, but I guess thats understandable.

As for WR's, I was very impressed with Earl Bennett. When I first got there, I kept thinking who is that #85. He put himself in position to make the catches, looked strong and even pretty fast for a WR that was said he didn't have blazing speed.

Marcus Monk is freaking tall, but I wasn't very impressed with him on Friday. On deep routes, he was coming just short of making the catch. I thought he would be able to use his body better to shield the DB and use his height to make those catches.

Forte looks like he'll be a force. He went through the drills like he is already the leader of the RB stable although Kevin Jones was working the coaches pretty good on the sideline with his knee wrapped up with ice.

Funny you should mention that. The commentator mentioned that Clayton was at the first day practice and Jay Glazer was there the second day. He wondered what each would say since he noticed they weren't watching the field much at all, instead they were mingling with the other media members. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to think the national media guys come to these practices and decide to get the cliff notes from the local guys instead of having to make judgements off one day.

Regarding Clayton, it is also possible he is going off how the staff is simply leaning. It may be that, whether simply his own opinion of based off what staff tells him, that he believes Orton has the edge. The book on our two QBs seems pretty set. Rex is a great practice QB who can make all the throws, but struggles under pressure. Orton doesn't have all the throws in his game that Rex does, and is not going to be nearly as effective downfield, but does better under pressure and makes fewer mistakes. He won't win the game as often, but will not lose it either.

Clayton may believe we have the mindset that if we can win w/ offense and special teams, we may prefer a QB who simply doesn't lose games. That would explain our leaning toward Orton, regardless what is seen thus far in practice.

Regarding Clayton, it is also possible he is going off how the staff is simply leaning. It may be that, whether simply his own opinion of based off what staff tells him, that he believes Orton has the edge. The book on our two QBs seems pretty set. Rex is a great practice QB who can make all the throws, but struggles under pressure. Orton doesn't have all the throws in his game that Rex does, and is not going to be nearly as effective downfield, but does better under pressure and makes fewer mistakes. He won't win the game as often, but will not lose it either.

Clayton may believe we have the mindset that if we can win w/ offense and special teams, we may prefer a QB who simply doesn't lose games. That would explain our leaning toward Orton, regardless what is seen thus far in practice.

Yeah, I think that is it. If I remember the Clayon article, I thought it specifically said that he believed based on the type of offense the Bears wanted to run, that Orton was the front runner. I don't believe his opinion was based on watching them play.

Funny you should mention that. The commentator mentioned that Clayton was at the first day practice and Jay Glazer was there the second day. He wondered what each would say since he noticed they weren't watching the field much at all, instead they were mingling with the other media members. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to think the national media guys come to these practices and decide to get the cliff notes from the local guys instead of having to make judgements off one day.

I'd agree with that. I "think" I saw Jay Glazer when I was there on day. The guy was bald with a gotee, and looked just like Glazer. Except he was dressed like sort of a slob--earing an untucked t-shirt that appeared to be like a West Coast Choppers shirt, and black jeans. He never took a note, and looked totally uninterested in what was going on. My thought was, "Nah, that can't be him . . . must be some bald guy who just looks like Glazer.) He appeared to talk to just one guy (who I didn't recognize) the whole time.

So I'd say any information he got must have been from the local guys. Except he wasn't watching practice or talking with any players (that I saw) and he wasn't filming anything (he wasn't dressed for it) so why the hell was he there?

IIRC, Clayton said if they looked the same it would be Orton's job. Basically Rex has to be the better of the QB's by a decent margin to win the job, otherwise the Bears will give Kyle the shot since he hasn't really had a chance to show what he can do in the regular season (not going to count his rookie season).

I think it is way too early to judge either way. I think after the 2nd preseason game we will have a much clearer picture.

Peace :dabears

If Grossman is still fumbling snaps in practice, do you really want him starting? We've heard him talk about "technique" and "fixing the problem" yet it seems to stay the same.

I'm just curious. I wish like hell Rex would succeed but his damn turnovers are giving me ulcers.

Again, I guess I see reason to be concerned since he's had the regular season history, but I still say its freaking training camp. I want to see him showing improved footwork, making good reads and throws. To me that is the key trait to being a successful QB.

I just don't see how he could have gotten this far if he couldn't handle a snap.

If Grossman is still fumbling snaps in practice, do you really want him starting? We've heard him talk about "technique" and "fixing the problem" yet it seems to stay the same.

I'm just curious. I wish like hell Rex would succeed but his damn turnovers are giving me ulcers.

Very good question. I want them to select the QB that gives us the best chance to win. I don't care if it is Orton or Grossman.

How about Booker???? ;)

Peace :dabears