Dan Bazuin

Da Bears 88

Why did we waste a 2nd round pick on this guy?

I've yet to hear anything about him in training camp. :banghead

He got a "sack" on Orton, the only sack I've heard of in camp so far. Besides, gonna be hard to grade a DE when he isn't in full pads and can't go full speed at any of the offensive players.

Lets wait till we see him in preseason match ups before we call him a wasted pick. Defensive line players like Offensive line players are high commodities and if Dan Bazuin stays healthy we will be glad he's on our team.

With so much attention going towards Devin Hester, Grossman vs Orton, Matt Forte, Brian Urlacher, and a healthy Mike Brown, the sports writers haven't had time to think about the Dvoreceks, Bazuins, Okwo's, and so on. Give it some time and the news will start pouring once the boredom of camp starts creeping in.

Lets wait till we see him in preseason match ups before we call him a wasted pick. Defensive line players like Offensive line players are high commodities and if Dan Bazuin stays healthy we will be glad he's on our team.

With so much attention going towards Devin Hester, Grossman vs Orton, Matt Forte, Brian Urlacher, and a healthy Mike Brown, the sports writers haven't had time to think about the Dvoreceks, Bazuins, Okwo's, and so on. Give it some time and the news will start pouring once the boredom of camp starts creeping in.

Last preseason he got a sack in a pre season game i was watch the second team for Mark Anderson who uses the speed move around the edge i kept seeing Bauzin push the RT back during the 2 min drill. He might be a surprise lets wait and see what we got.

There was an article in the Tribune today talking about how Idonije gained 40 pounds in the off-season in order to play defensive tackle. Essentially he was DE forced to play DT at times. Now he's a DT.

Bazuin will likely take his spot as the 4th DE on the team. You figure we'll keep 9 D-lineman on the 53 man roster (Bazuin, Mark Anderson, Ogunleye, Alex Brown, Tommie Harris, Dvoracek, Adams, Idonije, & Harrison)

Honestly, how many players have we heard about besides the two QB's and players who wanted new contracts?

I see with your almighty wisdom you can tell that he is wasted pick already. You've never seen him play, and you probably never heard of him before we drafted him, but that is all the info you need to declare a player a bust... I wish I had your knowledge.

There was an article in the Tribune today talking about how Idonije gained 40 pounds in the off-season in order to play defensive tackle. Essentially he was DE forced to play DT at times. Now he's a DT.

Bazuin will likely take his spot as the 4th DE on the team. You figure we'll keep 9 D-lineman on the 53 man roster (Bazuin, Mark Anderson, Ogunleye, Alex Brown, Tommie Harris, Dvoracek, Adams, Idonije, & Harrison)

Unbelievable about Idonije. I guess it makes sense though. At DE, we have two starters who are proven, and have not shown any injury problems in the past. And we have a 3rd rotations DE who racked up double digit sacks his rookie year. At DT though, while we have loads of potential, we also have loads of concerns. Harris is a stud, but w/ a history of injuries. Dusty could be great, but an even worse injury history. Harrison is a rookie and unproven. Adams did a great job (IMHO) last year, but is not viewed as a great option. So while we have lots of bodies w/ talent, we have far more concerns at DT than at DE.

One concern I have regarding Idonije's new playing weight is special teams. I thought he was one of our better teams players. I know he carries the extra weight well, but how will that extra 30 or 40 lbs effect his running full steam downfield? We have already lost Ayenbedajo. You hate to lose too many of your good teams players at one time.

W/ regard to Bazuin, while I expect him to make the team, the cards are stacked against him to do much more than be a special teams player. Unless there is an injury or Anderson really falls from grace, I am not sure Bazuin will even get enough looks to make that much of an impression.

Unbelievable about Idonije. I guess it makes sense though. At DE, we have two starters who are proven, and have not shown any injury problems in the past. And we have a 3rd rotations DE who racked up double digit sacks his rookie year. At DT though, while we have loads of potential, we also have loads of concerns. Harris is a stud, but w/ a history of injuries. Dusty could be great, but an even worse injury history. Harrison is a rookie and unproven. Adams did a great job (IMHO) last year, but is not viewed as a great option. So while we have lots of bodies w/ talent, we have far more concerns at DT than at DE.

One concern I have regarding Idonije's new playing weight is special teams. I thought he was one of our better teams players. I know he carries the extra weight well, but how will that extra 30 or 40 lbs effect his running full steam downfield? We have already lost Ayenbedajo. You hate to lose too many of your good teams players at one time.

W/ regard to Bazuin, while I expect him to make the team, the cards are stacked against him to do much more than be a special teams player. Unless there is an injury or Anderson really falls from grace, I am not sure Bazuin will even get enough looks to make that much of an impression.

My understanding is they no longer plan on using Idonije on special teams as a wedge buster.

I am surprised they had him gain that much weight as in our scheme the DTs are not usually that big, they want them quick and able to penetrate into the backfield, not the big body run stopper which it appears Idonije might be more built for at his new weight.

My understanding is they no longer plan on using Idonije on special teams as a wedge buster.

I wonder who is planned to take his place.

I am surprised they had him gain that much weight as in our scheme the DTs are not usually that big, they want them quick and able to penetrate into the backfield, not the big body run stopper which it appears Idonije might be more built for at his new weight.

While we want our DTs to penetrate, and do not want the 350lb wide bodies (ala Ted Washington) our DTs are not "that" light either. Give or take 5 lbs, I believe all our others DTs are about 300lbs. Dusty was way light at 265. Per the article, while he added 40 lbs to get to 305, he has also dropped 10 lbs and is now at 295, right in line w/ the other DTs. While we do not want the wide bodies, at the same time, they still have to be capable of holding their own against the run, and that would prove very difficult for a 265lb DT.

I wonder who is planned to take his place.

While we want our DTs to penetrate, and do not want the 350lb wide bodies (ala Ted Washington) our DTs are not "that" light either. Give or take 5 lbs, I believe all our others DTs are about 300lbs. Dusty was way light at 265. Per the article, while he added 40 lbs to get to 305, he has also dropped 10 lbs and is now at 295, right in line w/ the other DTs. While we do not want the wide bodies, at the same time, they still have to be capable of holding their own against the run, and that would prove very difficult for a 265lb DT.

My bad, I thought he was playing a lot bigger than 295 this year. For some reason I thought he was in the 320-330 range. Blew that one.

My understanding is there will not be a typical wedge buster in this years scheme.

Here is the copy of a post I made about an article on special teams from the Bears website:

Special Teams Article at Bears Site

They just posted the 9th and final position article on the Bears Website. To be honest, the previous 8 I found very uninteresting as it seemed like typical coach-speak and gave really no information we did not already know or suspected.

This one actually was interesting to me and gave an insight to some changes in special teams that might take place. If you have yet to go to the team site (my home page, LOL) you should check out the article.

It talks about some changes being made in personel, a change in Goulds KO technique, players to keep an eye on with special teams, etc...

Good stuff!!

Honestly, how many players have we heard about besides the two QB's and players who wanted new contracts?

I see with your almighty wisdom you can tell that he is wasted pick already. You've never seen him play, and you probably never heard of him before we drafted him, but that is all the info you need to declare a player a bust... I wish I had your knowledge.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bears88 eats, sleeps, and drinks Bears/football knowledge. He knows everything about everything.

I'll admitt- I didn't really know much about him before we drafted him, but with such a deep DL, he is going to have to give everything he has and make plays in TC and in pre-season. I think he's going to play a role on this team for sure.

Even if he's our 4th DE we always use 3 DEs during a game. If one goes down we need that fourth guy to get on the field. I hope he shows something this preseason. I liked Idonije's versatility but he never did much at DE for us.

It sounds as if Idonije added a lot of muscle mass and not necessarily fat so I'm guessing he'll still have pretty good quickness. I'm actually quite intrigued with the possibility of Indonijie as a full time DT. I liked him a lot as a pure athlete but with this increased size he could easily be capable of starting alongside Harris if Dusty doesn't recover or live up to his potential or if Harris is injured as well (Harrison is also a very good athlete). As a whole I think that gives us 4 solid DT's plus Toenai who impressed me the last couple games of the season.

I'd say we'll keep ten on the roster, because you left out Matt Toeaina I've heard some good things about him and wouldn't be surprised if they kept 10 with the swarm of injuries we had last year. Not to mention you could keep idonije as a special teams player with what they were trying last year.

I'd say we'll keep ten on the roster, because you left out Matt Toeaina I've heard some good things about him and wouldn't be surprised if they kept 10 with the swarm of injuries we had last year. Not to mention you could keep idonije as a special teams player with what they were trying last year.

IMO it'll be tough to find room for 10 defensive-linemen on a 53 man roster. Especially keeping 6 pure defensive tackles. On one hand, from a practical stand-point, it makes sense due to injuries. The tough part is, where do you cut back on the roster, when we have a ton of depth at so many positions? Do you cut another good play based on pure speculation that multiple DT's will get hurt?

I'd thought about Toeaina. I wonder if he's still eligible for the practice roster. Last year we gave Antonio Garay a somewhat exclusive $250,000 contract to be on the practice squad. (I think practice squad guys make like $90,000 or something like that?) After week one Garay was activated in place of Dvoracek.

Agreed that it would be tough to keep that many.

Has anyone heard anything about Toeiana yet? I know it is early, but I haven't even seen his name mentioned.

The reality is, he had some good plays at the end of the season, when we were w/o healthy bodies, but despite that, he may not be in the plans.

Agreed that it would be tough to keep that many.

Has anyone heard anything about Toeiana yet? I know it is early, but I haven't even seen his name mentioned.

The reality is, he had some good plays at the end of the season, when we were w/o healthy bodies, but despite that, he may not be in the plans.

I saw him running with the 3rd string defense, but it's almost imossible to tell how a DT or offensive lineman is doing, since they're not giong all out. That's probably why we've really heard nothing about any defensive lineman other then Tommie Harris.

Which does make me wonder how they know that guys like St. Clair are showing so much promise.

On a side note with our defensive tackle depth: Has Darwin Walker or Antonio Garay signed with anybody? If they have I missed it (although Garay might still be hurt).