Would you do it????

ASHKUM BEAR

If you were JA and you knew Chris Simms was on his way out of TB, would you trade away the draft pick we will receive from Brian Griese. The draft pick is a 6th RD pick and should be in the top half if not top top third. Also, Simms contract will expire after the season and we will have to resign him to keep him.

The good part about it, we can get another stop gap QB for cheap if Rex fails to win another contract.

1. Orton 2. Simms 3. #1 RD draft pick

The bad part about it, if Rex does succeed then we have 3 QB's with about the same potential

1. Grossman 2. Orton 3. Simms

Either way, Simms would be the insurance(hedge) if Grossman fails. We will then have two slightly vet QB's and be able to draft a future QB without having to worry about finding a #2 until the rook is ready to step up.

If you were JA and you knew Chris Simms was on his way out of TB, would you trade away the draft pick we will receive from Brian Griese. The draft pick is a 6th RD pick and should be in the top half if not top top third. Also, Simms contract will expire after the season and we will have to resign him to keep him.

The good part about it, we can get another stop gap QB for cheap if Rex fails to win another contract.

The bad part about it, if Rex does succeed then we have 3 QB's with about the same potential

Either way, Simms would be the insurance(hedge) if Grossman fails. We will then have two slightly vet QB's and be able to draft a future QB without having to worry about finding a #2 until the rook is ready to step up.

Not interested. He is not an improvement over Orton or Grossman.

Peace :dabears

Yes. It's a 6th round pick. We traded away our 6th round pick this year for 2 7th round picks (which really didn't make a helluva a lot of since) In the 7th round we drafted DE, LB, OG, OT, and Marcus Monk. I only typed in Monk's name because he's the only one of the group we've heard much about. My guess is him and the rest are doomed for the IR, the practice squad, or just flat out cut. I don't see any of those 5 making the active roster at any point this season unless there are injuries.

Although Simms would have to understand he's the #3 this season. If/when Orton/Grossman fail, then he'll be given a chance to step up eventually. I'm guessing Simms right now would have as much demand on the free agent market as Rex did. So if he never takes a snap, signing him should be a problem.

It's a low-risk proposition.

Yes. It's a 6th round pick. We traded away our 6th round pick this year for 2 7th round picks (which really didn't make a helluva a lot of since) In the 7th round we drafted DE, LB, OG, OT, and Marcus Monk. I only typed in Monk's name because he's the only one of the group we've heard much about. My guess is him and the rest are doomed for the IR, the practice squad, or just flat out cut. I don't see any of those 5 making the active roster at any point this season unless there are injuries.

Although Simms would have to understand he's the #3 this season. If/when Orton/Grossman fail, then he'll be given a chance to step up eventually. I'm guessing Simms right now would have as much demand on the free agent market as Rex did. So if he never takes a snap, signing him should be a problem.

It's a low-risk proposition.

Maybe barton or the guard just because our line sucks and will more than likely get hurt or yanked for sucking. But I see your logic. I would have to pull the trigger on that deal as well, because even if simms isn't an improvement over grossman or orton, at least it's an improvement over caleb since simms does actually have starting experience in the NFL. It would only make the team better in my eyes. Kinda like the KJ signing. Sure we had peterson and wolfe and promising rookie forte, but kj just gave us that much more depth at a position that is made or broken by injuries.

Not interested. He is not an improvement over Orton or Grossman.

I agree, he is "probably?" not an improvement over Rex or Kyle.

However, I do think he would be a big improvement over our 2 undrafted QBs as a #3 in case Rex &/or Kyle have injury/performance problems this year.

Let me ask you this, would you want one of the 2 undrafted QBs to have to come in and be the starter this year if Rex & Kyle go down to injury or are sat do to performance issues? Simms does have some, limited, but some, experience as a starter and has been around the NFL a few years longer than our 2 kids.

I agree, he is "probably?" not an improvement over Rex or Kyle.

However, I do think he would be a big improvement over our 2 undrafted QBs as a #3 in case Rex &/or Kyle have injury/performance problems this year.

Let me ask you this, would you want one of the 2 undrafted QBs to have to come in and be the starter this year if Rex & Kyle go down to injury or are sat do to performance issues? Simms does have some, limited, but some, experience as a starter and has been around the NFL a few years longer than our 2 kids.

If we get to our 3rd qb, we are screwed anyway. Personally, I am thinking the Bears should carry 2 QBs on the roster this yr and put both Hill and Hanie on the practice squad. This will open up roster space for an extra position player (i.e. wr or rb). If either Orton or Grossman gets hurt, go get any of the FA Qbs out ther (Leftwich, Culpepper, etc).

I hate giving up a pick for someone who is not any better than what we currently have on the roster.

If we get to our 3rd qb, we are screwed anyway.

On most teams I'd agree. But on a team with a potential #1 defense & #1 special teams, it's a different story. Let me put it this way: Hypothetically, Orton wins the starting job, and we start the season 4 & 0. Then he's placed on IR. Which leaves us with the previously off-injured Rex & two undrafted rookies.

Unless you have a durable #1 QB you can count on, you have to assume that at some point you'll need that #3 QB. IMO, the #3 must be eiter talented with potential, or experienced. Hanie does not fit that description and now Hill is gone.

Personally, I am thinking the Bears should carry 2 QBs on the roster this yr and put both Hill and Hanie on the practice squad.

That's not a horrible idea, but it goes against the NFL norm. When has this franchise ever went against the norm?

If either Orton or Grossman gets hurt, go get any of the FA Qbs out ther (Leftwich, Culpepper, etc).

Christ, hell, almighty, sweet jesus, no!!! Sorry, but that reminds me WAY too much of 2004 when we finished the season with Hutch & Jeff George as our QB's. That was awful. It was almost as bad the next year when Rex got hurt, Hutch gets cut, we make Orton our #1, and we sign a QB in training camp to be our #2 (he was with Cincy, then New Orleans . . . he's black . . . big arm . . . why can't I remember his name???)

It's been REALLY entering training camp with 3 legitimate QB's the past 2 years. I'd like to keep it that way. So if we're going to get a legit #3, we need to do it ASAP.

I hate giving up a pick for someone who is not any better than what we currently have on the roster.

Maybe Caleb Hanie's better then Chris Simms, but if that's true, JA is smarter then everyone else in the NFL. If we liked him so much, why didn't we spend one of our 5 seventh round picks on him?

As I mentioned previously, if we brought in Simms, he would not only be an upgrade as a back-up, but it would basically be a tryout for next season.

I don't mind bringing in Simms but only to compete for the 3rd spot. I'm also not totally sold that he'll beat out Hanie although I think it's likely. Make no promises and let them compete for the roster spot.

Problem is...is there no team out there that could give him a better offer, shot at least at being a backup?

I don't mind bringing in Simms but only to compete for the 3rd spot. I'm also not totally sold that he'll beat out Hanie although I think it's likely. Make no promises and let them compete for the roster spot.

A healthy Simms is as good as Grossman and better than Orton (I base that on my assumption that based on pure talent, Grossman & Simms are better than Kyle). So how are we going to make this leap of faith that Hanie is better than Simms. Could he be better a couple years from now, possibly, but if the Bears are planning on competing I don't see an issue with Simms.

The issue is, the Bears already are having a major battle and this means Rex/Kyle are going to get almost all of the reps so if Simms or any other more proven 3rd stringer comes are they really going to get the reps necessary to get them comfortable and ready to play.

I didn't make any leap of faith, I said let him compete. If Hanie is showing any competence at all I think Simms (if brought in) should have to compete to earn the roster spot. If Simms is as good as you say why be so worried about him competing with UDFA Hanie?