It's official: Orton to start vs Chiefs

KiLoc69

I like that. So far from what I have read I believe Kyle is doing a better job although neither one of them is standing out.

Really? I've been reading the opposite. Rex has been doing slightly better. It seems that way from the TC videos I've seen as well. In the end, I don't think it matters. The preseason games will carry more weight I think.

Of course I completely agree. What scares me though is thinking back to last year and how well Rex did during preseason and then the regular season came and it speaks for its self. I am scared with the position overall. I would love to Rex finally develop into the guy but he just scares me soooooooo much. Time will tell though.

I'm actually surprised. I thought the staff would give the nod to Rex... But there is some sense in your assessment for sure.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/

I personally think this has to do with the home crowd boos Rex got the other night. Kyle starts at home and Rex starts in Seattle. Read into it what you will hehe.

I agree. Although Orton getting the first start doesn't surprise me one bit. And frankly, how long are any of these guys going to stay in on week 1 of the PS? I expect a couple of series for each, no more.

If you're having a legit QB competition...then they ought to see a reasonable amount of time. 1 quarter or more each. Regardless of Rex's injury history. Play em.

I agree. Although Orton getting the first start doesn't surprise me one bit. And frankly, how long are any of these guys going to stay in on week 1 of the PS? I expect a couple of series for each, no more.

We might be surprised. I remember Lovie saying earlier that some position starters may play more extensively in preseason games than what they have in the past to give the staff a better chance to evaluate them.

Of course, we know how much we can believe "coach speak" in preseason, LOL.

LOL! It's like trying to decide which paper bag is better. It's a sad state when this is your QB battle..

Yeah, but according to our expert analysis "BearSox" Rex does everything wrong while stud muffin Orton is HOF bound.

I think everyone is looking into this too much. If the natural progression of alternating with the first string were to continue into the game Orton would be the starter. Couple that with the fact that Grossman won the coin toss to start training camp with the first team and I think thats where the decision was made.

We might be surprised. I remember Lovie saying earlier that some position starters may play more extensively in preseason games than what they have in the past to give the staff a better chance to evaluate them.

Of course, we know how much we can believe "coach speak" in preseason, LOL.

There are only 3 QBs on the roster. I do not see Hanie playing more than a quarter. They need to have both QBs get reps with both the 1st & 2nd string.

Peace :dabears

Really? I've been reading the opposite. Rex has been doing slightly better. It seems that way from the TC videos I've seen as well. In the end, I don't think it matters. The preseason games will carry more weight I think.

The thing that sucks is, its going to be based on two preseason games. These guys are probably going to be pressing but I guess we'll see who the bigger man is.

I think everyone is looking into this too much. If the natural progression of alternating with the first string were to continue into the game Orton would be the starter. Couple that with the fact that Grossman won the coin toss to start training camp with the first team and I think thats where the decision was made.

This is not the case, the natural progression of alternating was switched up before family night by letting Kyle go with the starter twice in a row and it is happening again now. Rex had his great practice with the ones Sunday, Kyle Monday, Rex Tuesday, Kyle today AND tomorrow.

It may not be significant anyway, but there was not a coin flip for who will start this game so there is SOME reason to this rhyme. I think that reason is to keep Rex from playing his first game at home and getting boo'd without having played a game yet. That OR the staff thinks Kyle has a slight lead in the QB battle.

One thing that could be interesting is how the backup plays in each game.

Everyone is talking about who starts, and how they look. One thing I am curious to see is how the #2 QB does in each game. I am not sure if there is a big dropoff from our starting receivers to our 2nd string, both at WR and TE. But there is a big dropoff in OL. Whoever the #2 QB is will most likely face a ton of pressure. I am curious to see how each QB performs under such a situation.