Williams undergoes back surgery

madlithuanian

Um, there's no such thing as IR in the preseason.

It's called PUP. (Physically Unable to Play)

You cannot be put on the PUP list once training camp starts. Either the Bears put him on IR or they have to carry him on the 53 man roster once the season starts.

Peace

he's out for the year, I guarantee it. Any form of back surgery usually takes a long time to recover from, and usually surgeries that involve fixing a herniated disk take almost a year to recover from.

They say this is an unrelated injury to the one that broke before camp, but I doubt that. This is just the FO's way of saving face. If this injury is unrelated to the one that broke before the draft, that is one hell of a coincidence and we are the most unlucky team in the NFL when it comes to 1st round OLinemen...

I think I can speak for all of us when I say, this blows!

he's out for the year, I guarantee it. Any form of back surgery usually takes a long time to recover from, and usually surgeries that involve fixing a herniated disk take almost a year to recover from.

They say this is an unrelated injury to the one that broke before camp, but I doubt that. This is just the FO's way of saving face. If this injury is unrelated to the one that broke before the draft, that is one hell of a coincidence and we are the most unlucky team in the NFL when it comes to 1st round OLinemen...

I think I can speak for all of us when I say, this blows!

You gotta be right BearSox. Any back surgery is delicate and takes time to heal. Especially for a kid that's going to take a pounding every snap. Williams is not going to contribute, this year for sure. Ever? Makes me want to puke. :puke

You cannot be put on the PUP list once training camp starts. Either the Bears put him on IR or they have to carry him on the 53 man roster once the season starts.

Peace

We are going to be lucky it's not career ending. back injuries like this often times don't ever heal 100% and he may have chronic back issues the rest of his life and may in fact have to retire if it is bad enough.

This is bad news

We are going to be lucky it's not career ending. back injuries like this often times don't ever heal 100% and he may have chronic back issues the rest of his life and may in fact have to retire if it is bad enough.

This is bad news

i would say this effectively ends his season and hopefully doesn't end his career.

you are correct. disk problems are very serious and may not go away. a disk problem like this could in reality be a career ending situation. it could prevent him from heavy lifting which effects is strength not to mention could also effect his speed/legwork.

for an offensive lineman who relies on strength and power on nearly every play by using his legs and lower back to block is a major concern long term.

the whole situation of this being a "new injury" also sounds fishy to me. i would like to see the reports of what type of back problems other teams found in him that took him off their draft boards.

another fine mess you've gotten us into angie.

Sorry, this isn't luck.

As the story says, many teams knew about the injury pre-draft and took him off their boards.

If a kid has a trouble making history in college, you draft him, and he gets into trouble, do you say, "just our luck". No. Luck is what you make it.

They were just talking about him during the game. They were saying it was not serious.

I could be wrong, but when the sideline guy was talking about this during the game, wasn't he going off what the staff told him? As Lovie has never been exactly truthful in discussing players health, I am not sure how much stock we should put in his comment. Not to mention that Lovie is the one who, from day one, has said this injury is no big deal. You have to start questioning the staff who say "day to day injury" after a couple weeks.

That there were reports of a back problem before the draft but he was healthy when drafted and Williams never missed one practice or game with any injury his 3 years as a starter at LOT in college.

But the point is there were reports of a back injury, and what is it we are seeing now?

LUCK HAS NOTHING TO DO W/ THIS!

When you draft a player other teams took off their board due to injury/back concerns, and that player has to go on IR for a back injury after a couple snaps in the first practice, you do not chalk it up to luck.

This is the point. He never missed a practice or game in college. We would not have drafted him unless he was cleared by the medical staff. I cannot believe how awful our luck is. UGH!!!!!

Someone mentioned that we haven't placed him on IR. But we will tomorrow. Hell, if Kreutz was placed on IR, Williams has got to be. Remember the IR for pre-season is not the same as the IR for regular season.

I think there is a difference, as Kreutz was dealing w/ pre-camp injuries, whereas Williams was supposedly not injured prior to camp, and went down the first day. I believe pre-camp injuries have totally different rules compared to players who go down in camp. I think if a player suffers an injury in camp and are placed on IR or the PUP, it is not removable.

However watching the game today our 1st string Oline did look very impressive. They at least kept Orton and Grossman clean. Your even heard during the Orton sideline interview he said that he never even felt pressure at all. This has to be very encourging at least.

Not to be a nay-sayers, but there was even an article in the Trib to be careful reading too much into the OL's performance prior to the game. Take a look at KC's DL. They traded away their best player, and their top pick is out w/ injury. Our OL did a pretty good job against what could be one of the worst DLs in the league this year.

If you're Bears rookie left tackle Chris Williams, you have Nov. 2 circled on your calendar.

That date against the Detroit Lions in Week 9 of the NFL season looks like the earliest Williams might be able to contribute after he underwent surgery Wednesday night to repair a herniated disc. If he ends up contributing at all this season.

Williams was told following the procedure that he should expect to be out 10 to 12 weeks, a source said Friday. The Bears are idle Oct. 26 -- just before the 12-week mark -- before beginning the second half of the season at home against the Lions.

Even if Williams were to return at the midseason point, it would be difficult for the Bears to expect too much from the player they had planned on being in the starting lineup from Day One.

Williams' recovery timetable forces the Bears to consider reconfiguring their offensive line and potentially returning right tackle John Tait to the left side, where he has played the previous three seasons. Current left tackle John St. Clair has more NFL experience on the right side, and there's always the possibility of the Bears re-signing Fred Miller or trying to swing a trade for a veteran such as Kevin Shaffer of Cleveland.

Williams was considered such a health risk on draft day that NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock reported that three of six teams he talked to dropped the tackle from their draft boards.

From Jerry Angelo to Lovie Smith, everyone in the Bears organization insist Williams checked out medically during exhaustive research and no red flags were raised. Angelo maintained after the game the latest injury was sustained July 24 during the second workout of training camp in the middle of a non-contact drill.

Treatment initially included anti-inflammatory medicine that helped the spasms subside. Williams began working out on an adjacent field during practice but his condition didn't improve once he started to curb his medication.

Sources said Williams tweaked his back while working out this summer at Vanderbilt in preparations for the upcoming season but didn't consider it serious – and apparently it wasn't serious enough to prevent Williams from passing his team physical. He missed one practice in five years at Vanderbilt, according to the football personnel at the university. He expected to be just as durable as a pro.

The Bears sought to compare Williams' surgery to the same procedure successfully being completed on cornerback Charles Tillman, who is more than 100 pounds lighter. Offensive tackles also rely on their back more than most positions. Tillman, by the way, also had the luxury of recovering during the off-season and wasn't cleared until June after having surgery in February.

If the Bears continue their stated plan of keeping Williams on the active roster, the team essentially will be operating with a 52-man roster until midseason. They took the same approach in 2004 when Jerry Azumah underwent neck surgery in preseason and returned quickly for the fifth game of the season.

With a first-round draft choice expected to play the position for the next decade, the Bears should be in no hurry to rush Williams back before doubts about his back have been removed – if that's possible. :crying from tribune

Tom Thayer was on the radio this morning and said that this is pretty common in the NFL. He had it done and was back in about 8 weeks. Once the procedure was done, the discomfort was gone and the therapy actually made his back stronger. He said with better medical knowledge he said Williams should be fine and on the football field before this season is over.

Heres a few players I found by google:

-Charles Tillman had a herniated disc repaired after the Superbowl season, his recover was 5 months

-Chicago Cubs outfielder Reed Johnson had the same procedure done last April 2007 and was back playing ball in July.

-Washington Redskins Doug Williams QB had it done and was back in 10 weeks.

-Joe Montana had it done was back in 8 weeks

_Warrick Dunn had it

=Mack Strong

-Mike Alstott

-Kyle Turley

-Adam Archuletta (thats why he was afraid to tackle)

This is bad news

This, from what I heard on the Score this morning, is the same surgery that C Tillman had and he not only recovered 100% but was able to return and play the same season he had the surgery.

The Tribune is saying that Williams could be ready in early November.

Doctors told Williams after Wednesday's surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back that he should expect to be out 10 to 12 weeks, a source said Friday. That would make the Nov. 2 game against the Lions in Week 9 the earliest date Williams could contribute to the Bears offensive line—if he contributes at all.

Attrition at other positions or difficulties in Williams' rehabilitation could cause the Bears to place the first-round draft pick on injured reserve, a move the team has said publicly it has no plans to do. In effect, that gives the Bears a 52-man roster for half the season.

Sources said Williams tweaked his back while working out this summer at Vanderbilt in preparation for the upcoming season but didn't consider it serious—and apparently it wasn't serious enough to prevent Williams from passing his team physical. He missed one practice in five years at Vanderbilt, according to the football personnel at the university. He expected to be just as durable as a pro.

Williams' recovery timetable could force the Bears to consider reconfiguring their offensive line and potentially returning right tackle John Tait to the left side, where he has played the previous three seasons. Current left tackle John St. Clair has more NFL experience on the right side. There's also a possibility of the Bears re-signing Fred Miller or trying to swing a trade for a veteran such as Kevin Shaffer of Cleveland.

Harold Lewis, the agent for Miller, said Friday there had been no movement since the Bears' initial contact about Miller possibly rejoining the team. Miller is also a possibility to sign with Houston, but the Houston Chronicle reported that the Texans signed Torrin Tucker instead.

A source said the Bears have yet to reach out to fellow former Bear lineman Ruben Brown, who at 36 is a year older than Miller.