Williams undergoes back surgery

madlithuanian

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

CHRIS WILLIAMS OUT FOR THE YEAR?

Posted by Mike Florio on August 7, 2008, 8:12 p.m.

We’re hearing rumblings from reliable sources that Bears rookie offensive tackle Chris Williams, the No. 14 overall pick in the 2008 draft, is expected to miss the entire season with a back injury.

Multiple teams were concerned about Williams’ health prior to the draft. Some were sufficiently concerned to take him off the board.

As we hear it, Williams has aggravated a prior back injury, and most likely will be shut down. This development, if indeed accurate, will throw a mediocre Bears offensive line into disarray, and will put even more pressure on the team’s defense to save the day, each and every Sunday.

Williams was one of seven offensive tackles selected among the first 21 picks of the draft.

Just our luck...

We’re hearing rumblings from reliable sources that Bears rookie offensive tackle Chris Williams, the No. 14 overall pick in the 2008 draft, is expected to miss the entire season with a back injury.

Multiple teams were concerned about Williams’ health prior to the draft. Some were sufficiently concerned to take him off the board.

As we hear it, Williams has aggravated a prior back injury, and most likely will be shut down. This development, if indeed accurate, will throw a mediocre Bears offensive line into disarray, and will put even more pressure on the team’s defense to save the day, each and every Sunday.

Williams was one of seven offensive tackles selected among the first 21 picks of the draft.

They were just talking about him during the game.

They were saying it was not serious.

That there were reports of a back problem before the draft but he was healthy when drafted and Williams never missed one practice or game with any injury his 3 years as a starter at LOT in college.

I am not saying the report is incorrect, just saying there are conflicting reports.

I couldn't agree more... Our offensive drafting is suspect at best.

Thankfully Forte looks really good or I'd be spitting fire over passing on Mendenhall...

What a complete waste of a draft pick, ugh. If they knew of a pre-existing injury with a lineman, why even chance it with the 14th pick?

It is just in the PFT Rumor Mill, so you never know...and to doubt it is wise.

However, tack in the talk of bringing in Fred Miller, and the general smokescreen nature of this coaching staff, and I'm concerned.

That there were reports of a back problem before the draft but he was healthy when drafted and Williams never missed one practice or game with any injury his 3 years as a starter at LOT in college.

I am not saying the report is incorrect, just saying there are conflicting reports.

MORE ON THE OFFICIAL BEARS SITE:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4972

August 7, 2008

Williams undergoes surgery to repair herniated disc

By Larry Mayer

CHICAGO – Moments before the start of Thursday night’s preseason opener against the Kansas City Chiefs, the Bears announced that first-round draft pick Chris Williams underwent surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back within the past 24 hours.

Williams has been sidelined since sustaining a lower back strain July 24 in the second training camp practice. When the muscle issue subsided, the rookie left tackle was further evaluated. It was then that the disc problem was discovered. The procedure was performed by Dr. Sdrjan Mirkovic and Dr. Mark Bowen.

The Bears declined to give a timetable for Williams’ return, but indicated that they plan to keep the Vanderbilt product on the 53-man roster once the regular season begins.

Roster news: In addition to Williams, other Bears who weren’t active for Thursday night’s game included linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer (hip), defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek (calf), running back Kevin Jones (knee), guard Terrence Metcalf (knee) and linebacker Michael Okwo (leg).

Among the Chiefs who did not play were both of Kansas City’s first-round draft picks, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey (knee) and left tackle Branden Albert (foot).

This is truly awful news. I iwsh him the best...but I wonder if we'll ever see him play. I have a herniated disc and I hope he doesn't have what I have. It's unrepairable and you just have to limit yourself from doing things that could agravate it.

What a sour day...

MORE ON THE OFFICIAL BEARS SITE:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4972

August 7, 2008

Williams undergoes surgery to repair herniated disc

By Larry Mayer

CHICAGO – Moments before the start of Thursday night’s preseason opener against the Kansas City Chiefs, the Bears announced that first-round draft pick Chris Williams underwent surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back within the past 24 hours.

Williams has been sidelined since sustaining a lower back strain July 24 in the second training camp practice. When the muscle issue subsided, the rookie left tackle was further evaluated. It was then that the disc problem was discovered. The procedure was performed by Dr. Sdrjan Mirkovic and Dr. Mark Bowen.

The Bears declined to give a timetable for Williams’ return, but indicated that they plan to keep the Vanderbilt product on the 53-man roster once the regular season begins.

Roster news: In addition to Williams, other Bears who weren’t active for Thursday night’s game included linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer (hip), defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek (calf), running back Kevin Jones (knee), guard Terrence Metcalf (knee) and linebacker Michael Okwo (leg).

Among the Chiefs who did not play were both of Kansas City’s first-round draft picks, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey (knee) and left tackle Branden Albert (foot).

They should have just traded up to get that guy outta Boise State, whatever his name was. He was clearly the best Offensive lineman besides the Michigan guy (I'm having problems with names today..).

Clady.

Also, most were suggesting to trade down and pick up some picks. Even if you lose some value, you have less of a chance at something like this happening with multiple picks.

This is truly awful news. I iwsh him the best...but I wonder if we'll ever see him play. I have a herniated disc and I hope he doesn't have what I have. It's unrepairable and you just have to limit yourself from doing things that could agravate it.

What a sour day...

If they didn't think he'd be able to play this year he'd be on IR already.

This is the point. He never missed a practice or game in college. We would not have drafted him unless he was cleared by the medical staff. I cannot believe how awful our luck is. UGH!!!!!

Peace

I really question our offensive scouts...

I read many places this guy had some injury or at least odd physical issues relating to his back or legs. So many passed on him, we did not.

It is bad luck...but dang. My conspiracy theory alert is going off...

This is the point. He never missed a practice or game in college. We would not have drafted him unless he was cleared by the medical staff. I cannot believe how awful our luck is. UGH!!!!!

Peace

I really question our offensive scouts...

I read many places this guy had some injury or at least odd physical issues relating to his back or legs. So many passed on him, we did not.

It is bad luck...but dang. My conspiracy theory alert is going off...

What conspiracy? We intentionally drafted an injured player? Clarify please.

Peace :dabears

Just that when we draft OL, they are busts...

Granted, Columbo is now doing well, but he was a bust with us.

I'm probably using the wrong lingo given how I'm irritated by the news and our performance this evening with the first team. If not for some nifty running by wolfe and a pick, it'd be plain disgusting now.

What conspiracy? We intentionally drafted an injured player? Clarify please.

Peace :dabears

Williams had surgery on a herniated disk in his back. Usually we we here 2-3 weeks, 6-8 weeks, 6-8 months . . . whatever.

What scares the hell out of me is the, "There is no time-table for his return."

Someone mentioned that we haven't placed him on IR. But we will tomorrow. Hell, if Kreutz was placed on IR, Williams has got to be. Remember the IR for pre-season is not the same as the IR for regular season.

Damnit.

Um, there's no such thing as IR in the preseason.

It's called PUP. (Physically Unable to Play)

You're probably right, but the media often refers to it as the injured reserve list. I heard several times that Kreutz was on the injured reserve list. They media might just do this because it's shorter and less confusing then saying, "He's physically unable to perform." (and it is "perform" not "play")

Great. Now we're back to the same OL as last year (not that CW was going to be the savior or anything this year, but...) thus it will make Forte look medicore. Then, we'll be going with another RB and an OT last year and blah blah blah, same old sh*t again. Matthew Stafford, welcome to Chicago (hopefully, if we even get a top 3 pick, that is).