How about Caleb Hanie?

butkusrules

Even if he does, there's no way they'd let him start unless injuries or Quinn-like performances ensue.

I think they keep him at 3 and maybe give him spot duty if the season is overat a certain point. Kind of like what happened w/ Orton last season.

If he keeps this up, they guy could be our QB in a year or so...

Agreed. Let's just hope he continues to improve. If so, he will be a starter within the next few yrs.

Peace :dabears

Couldn't agree more. Was at work for the game except the final drive and he looked really composed. Stepping up in the pocket, rifle throws, perfect spirals, and seemed like he had leadership among the guys. Hopefully he didn't look this good just because it was against the 3rd string KC defense.

He is really really into the game too, very competative, you should have seen him crying when he lost to CU.

Like the DBomber said, this was a preseason game against a bunch of guys who probably won't be playing in the NFL in a couple of weeks. Lets hold off on the appoint him starter already.

I like what we are seeing out of him, but he should not even snap up his helmet this year unless Rex/Kyle both go down, or our season is mathmatically over. I'm thinking JA made the right move now by not taking a QB earlier and waiting for Haine. After seeing Colt Brennan's game at the Hall of Fame game, I thought JA should've took him instead of Kellen Davis, but now I'm very pleased that we ended up with a potential stud TE and a potential good QB.

Like the DBomber said, this was a preseason game against a bunch of guys who probably won't be playing in the NFL in a couple of weeks. Lets hold off on the appoint him starter already.

I like what we are seeing out of him, but he should not even snap up his helmet this year unless Rex/Kyle both go down, or our season is mathmatically over. I'm thinking JA made the right move now by not taking a QB earlier and waiting for Haine. After seeing Colt Brennan's game at the Hall of Fame game, I thought JA should've took him instead of Kellen Davis, but now I'm very pleased that we ended up with a potential stud TE and a potential good QB.

I agree, I was also disappointed that we did not select a QB in the draft and was disappointed in the selection of a TE who did not have the rep of being a skilled blocker. However, now I am tickled to have both Hanie & KD on the team. Both look very very promising.

I am looking at what he showed. Forget his stats. He stepped up into the pocket when he needed to. He wasn't afraid to use his guns like that TD throw was a thing of beauty in between 2 defenders in the PERFECT spot, an inch to the right or left and the ball is at least batted down. He was not afraid to scramble, and on that scramble he got passed the one defender and then looked for the 1st down and then some. Would rather see him get out of bounce instead of lowering his shoulder to take on a tackler though. His passes were crisp. He put trust in his WR. With that pass to Monk, he threw the ball before Monk even broke and he hit him in perfect stride. These are things that I was looking at and it doesn't matter what D he was playing against. Hell, give him a shot with the 1st team. He can't do any worse than the QB's did last year can he. Please don't read that statement and think that I am saying he should start cuz I am not.

With all the chatter about how he played against 3rd string opponents, a valid point, you have to consider how complex it is for a young QB to come in and learn and entirely new system. It always takes an offense longer to come together because of the timing aspect and defenses usually look stronger early in the preseason. Given just a couple weeks of practice and the jitters these rookies must have, especially an undrafted FA whose job is far from guaranteed, and I think he played well beyond my expectations.

With all the chatter about how he played against 3rd string opponents, a valid point, you have to consider how complex it is for a young QB to come in and learn and entirely new system. It always takes an offense longer to come together because of the timing aspect and defenses usually look stronger early in the preseason. Given just a couple weeks of practice and the jitters these rookies must have, especially an undrafted FA whose job is far from guaranteed, and I think he played well beyond my expectations.

Hey guys, Kyle Orton managed the offense his rookie year. So could this guy if neccesary. Let's stop acting as if our freakin offense is something to be proud of. I'm not sure how much of a drop off there is between our opponents #3 , #2 and #1 defensive squads and I really don't even care but this guy obviously has something that we haven't seen in Chicago for quite awhile, protoypical size, a strong arm, great mobility and pocket presence. If push comes to shove, I would rather see us take the chance on this kid than bringing in a proven loser like Chris Simms. Just go back and look at his stats from college. This guy is no stranger to a QB rating over 100. HE just might be the game manager this team needs for the long haul. I know, one quarter of football does not a career make but far too many people have noticed this guy's skills from the other night to think it is a fluke.