Additional observations from a 2nd view

nfoligno

I am watching the game again (man I love DVR) and a few things.

- McGowan and Briggs are really standing out is poor angles and tackling. I want to write it off as 1st preseason game, but as this was such an issue last year, and something we were supposedly working so hard on in camp, it does concern me.

One area McGowan is looking good. He is making a few really good plays in the backfield. So when he is going downhill, he is looking good. If he is not attacking the LOS though, he simply seems late and is taking bad angles.

- Cut back running is killing us. I believe this is a problem of old for us. We are aggressive up front, and collapse the area the RB originally is heading. But LJ makes a cut and turns the other way for a big opening. It isn't so much their OL is simply beating our DL, but our DL is beating itself. As for pass rush, KC is keeping extra blockers back nearly ever down. As we are not blitzing, that means they are using 6 or 7 to block our 4, thus why we are not getting a ton of pass rush early on.

- I think Mark Anderson is going to have a big year this year. I also like that they are moving him around. He nearly got a sack playing LDE for Wale. Pitting his speed against RTs may not work on run downs, but I like the matchup on passing downs.

- McBride is having a bad game too, both in coverage and special teams.

- News flash. Daniell Manning still sucks. I still can't believe the way he played the punt which was rolling near the goal line. Most would try to simply swat it back. Not our boy. He jumps on it, easily carrying it into the endzone for a touchback. Bonehead.

- Olsen just does not look very impressive as a blocker. He gets his hands on a guy, but he is led wherever the rusher seems to want to go. If the rookie can develop as a blocker, and brings size and speed to the passing game, is there a chance he could pass our 1st round pick? I have read about Olsen dropping passes in camp, and if his blocking is suspect too.......

- McGowan and Briggs are really standing out is poor angles and tackling. I want to write it off as 1st preseason game, but as this was such an issue last year, and something we were supposedly working so hard on in camp, it does concern me.

One area McGowan is looking good. He is making a few really good plays in the backfield. So when he is going downhill, he is looking good. If he is not attacking the LOS though, he simply seems late and is taking bad angles.

I noticed the same thing about Briggs and McGowan in coverage. Also it looked like Url was taking some plays off too. I hope its just the "I dont like preseason stuff". I also noticed Alex Brown taking bad angles coming down the line. We(I coach high school) always teach our defense ends to attack the outside shoulder of the nearest back or quarterback. Actually both ends for the Bears come too flat down the line. It seems like RB counters or boot legs always get outside of them. I dont know if our coaching staff teaches them something different but it seemed like the Chiefs could bootleg whenever they wanted.

- I think Mark Anderson is going to have a big year this year. I also like that they are moving him around. He nearly got a sack playing LDE for Wale. Pitting his speed against RTs may not work on run downs, but I like the matchup on passing downs.

Agree. The only bad thing was that he missed that sack. Bazuin looked like trash.

Agreed. He was beaten like a drum. I didn't think Tillman looked good either.

- News flash. Daniell Manning still sucks. I still can't believe the way he played the punt which was rolling near the goal line. Most would try to simply swat it back. Not our boy. He jumps on it, easily carrying it into the endzone for a touchback. Bonehead. Yeah that guy should not be returning anything. All he does is run into the blocker in front of him.

- Olsen just does not look very impressive as a blocker. He gets his hands on a guy, but he is led wherever the rusher seems to want to go. If the rookie can develop as a blocker, and brings size and speed to the passing game, is there a chance he could pass our 1st round pick? I have read about Olsen dropping passes in camp, and if his blocking is suspect too.......

He was never known for being a strong blocker at Miami. He is more like a tall and big receiver. I did see them moving him around and having him play sort of a fullback/h back role where he would block for the run. IMO he better watch out for the rookie. I like the way he looks and he catches well.

Also my fav QB now is Hanie. Orton and Rex both looked ok. I chuckled when Orton threw it on the ground while scrambling. Its like Rex and Orton got together before the game and switched brains.

Wolfe looked good as reported. I love the burst. Forte looked like he will be good for many years.

One guy to watch is Kruetz. On two pulls on sweeps, he fell down and then blocked nobody. He also whiffed on a screen that Forte got destroyed on. Its the same stuff I saw last year. He really needs to step it up this year and not rely on his reputation.

One good thing was Beekman. He looked better than Metcalf. I saw Kruetztry to help him in pass protection twice and he didn't need the help. Also I saw him running downfield trying to get blocks for the RB's. Good to see someone developing.

Monk and Bennett were terrible on that last drive. And Bennett would have scored because Monk threw a great block that sealed off the edge.

Bazuin looked like trash.

OMG yeah. I thought he was terrible. He may not make the damn team. Sad to say but Jerry has a hell of a lot of misses in the early rounds of the drafts, doesn't he? And that is now a trend. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while but this can't continue. Drafting for need at LT this year was fine but when you do so and pick a guy known to be injured... you aren't really addressing the immediate need, are you?

Continuing to whiff in the early rounds will be grounds for his termination. I still want him to succeed but this has got to end.

OMG yeah. I thought he was terrible. He may not make the damn team. Sad to say but Jerry has a hell of a lot of misses in the early rounds of the drafts, doesn't he? And that is now a trend. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while but this can't continue. Drafting for need at LT this year was fine but when you do so and pick a guy known to be injured... you aren't really addressing the immediate need, are you?

Continuing to whiff in the early rounds will be grounds for his termination. I still want him to succeed but this has got to end.

lol I know I was wondering who the hell that 73 trash heap at DE was. On the good side, that Harrison cat looks nice.

Well he has alot of success in the later rounds too. So I guess it evens out.

You can't really fault JA for Williams because the dude was exactly what we needed. We are just frikin snakebit sometimes.

Tommie, Hester, Tillman, Berrian, etc. Not really.

1st round? Probably. Early rounds? Not so much.

What exactly did Bazuin do that was so bad? I didn't see him do anything that was great but i didn't see him getting blown off the line either (like Anderson was last year).

I saw him in some hustle plays 15 yards downfield. Not sure that's were we need him the most, but that's about it as far as him impressing me. But, it was his 1st pro action, so he gets a pass for the hustle.

Agree. The only bad thing was that he missed that sack. Bazuin looked like trash.

From the left side, the QB ducked under him. I winced at that, though it was still a solid move to get to him. On the right side though, he had used an inside move and was in the QBs face w/ a raised hand as the QB threw it away. For me, the main point w/ Anderson is this. Two years ago, Anderson was utilizing a full bag of moves. Last year, he was a one trick pony (speed to the outside). I blame coaches for the change. The other night, I saw the rookie Anderson again.

Agreed. He was beaten like a drum. I didn't think Tillman looked good either.

Couple plays Tillman looked weak, but I didn't think he truly stood out. Also, just to point out, he has missed a lot of practice. Some sort of "personal issues" which everyone has been VERY tight lipped about. Anyway, maybe it is an issue, but I am simply a bit less concerned.

Re: Olsen - I know he wasn't known for blocking at Miami, but at the same time, it is a concern when a guy in his 2nd year still looks poor. Also, I am of the opinion (right or wrong) that blocking is 90% attitude. Olsen is big enough, and as I understand, strong enough. But for blocking, is he mean enough?

Also my fav QB now is Hanie. Orton and Rex both looked ok. I chuckled when Orton threw it on the ground while scrambling. Its like Rex and Orton got together before the game and switched brains.

When Orton broke out of the pocket, I was thinking, "hell yea". Then he put it on the ground, and I was thinking, "you got to be kidding me". Of coarse, Rex falling on his arce ranked right up there too. Seriously, do either of these two want to win the job?

As for Hanie, I liked what I saw, but as he was going against future burger flippers, I have a tough time jumping to too high of expectations.

One guy to watch is Kruetz. On two pulls on sweeps, he fell down and then blocked nobody. He also whiffed on a screen that Forte got destroyed on. Its the same stuff I saw last year. He really needs to step it up this year and not rely on his reputation.

Didn't notice that, but not going to argue either. On one play, I did notice he was late on a pulling assignment. Still not sure how much is he has lost it, or how much is recently coming off injury and/or having to try to do too much. Maybe he has simply lost it, but w/ so many other problems on the OL, I think we will have to just get by w/ whatever he can give us.

One good thing was Beekman. He looked better than Metcalf. I saw Kruetztry to help him in pass protection twice and he didn't need the help. Also I saw him running downfield trying to get blocks for the RB's. Good to see someone developing.

I thought he looked pretty good too. Couple things. One, while it is good to see someone developing, what does it say that the only reason our staff is giving him a shot in hell is the GREAT Metcalf was injured. Two, the staff fear his size (6'2). I have never been too big on that. A little smaller means better leverage. But if Rex starts, we also have a short QB, and a short OL often allows a DL to stay high enough to (a) hinder the view and (B) create a high wall where a passing lane should be.

Monk and Bennett were terrible on that last drive. And Bennett would have scored because Monk threw a great block that sealed off the edge.

Only glass 1/2 full thing I can say is, at least they are rookies. Others do not have a similar excuse.

lol. Every snap of the ball, Bazuin took this wide path past the outside of the pocket and running lanes. He made it real easy for the tackle to block him every time.

Before you get too down on him for that, you are describing 99% of what I see our DEs do since Babich took over. Frankly, I think it is Lovie, but also think Rivera was able to keep Lovie from totally killing our players.

Tommie, Hester, Tillman, Berrian, etc. Not really.

1st round? Probably. Early rounds? Not so much.

I'll see your hand, and raise you:

Marc Colombo, Roosevelt Williams, Terrence Metcalf, Michael Haynes, Rex Grossman, Tank Johnson, Cedric Benson, Mark Bradley, Danieal Manning, Dusty Dvoracek

Typically the DEs are supposed to take away the outside lane. Yes I'd like to see more moves out of Bazuin especially some effort at a bull rush and I only saw him do one counter move to the inside, which worked for him. He got the corner often but doesn't havet enough ability to really turn back upfield. On running plays he held his ground against the OT and then got off the block and went upfield outside the play forcing the RB back inside. I believe that is his responsibility in our scheme but I can't say for sure. I never once saw Bazuin get pushed backwards on a run play but I didn't watch for him specifically on every defensive play.

Typically the DEs are supposed to take away the outside lane. Yes I'd like to see more moves out of Bazuin especially some effort at a bull rush and I only saw him do one counter move to the inside, which worked for him. He got the corner often but doesn't havet enough ability to really turn back upfield. On running plays he held his ground against the OT and then got off the block and went upfield outside the play forcing the RB back inside. I believe that is his responsibility in our scheme but I can't say for sure. I never once saw Bazuin get pushed backwards on a run play but I didn't watch for him specifically on every defensive play.

Its one thing to work to the outside shoulder of the qb. It is entirely something different to do what we call "take the easy" which means you go to the path of least resistence basically let the tackle take you where they want.

Its one thing to work to the outside shoulder of the qb. It is entirely something different to do what we call "take the easy" which means you go to the path of least resistence basically let the tackle take you where they want.

Okay, as a coach, I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject. It is one of my BIG "issues" w/ the staff and how we do things, and only got to be bigger after an interview I heard last year.

Listening to the Score last year. Idonije was on and asked if they ever stunt in games, or even practices stunts, misdirection, or anything of the like. After a bit of a pause, as the question took him off-guard, he said no. He them seemed to try to explain his way out, by saying how our line is so good, we don't need too and how we can rush straight up. Well, after his interview was over, there were a couple ex-bears on the show who gave their opinion. Damn me if I can recall who the bears were, but they were not no-names. Anyway, they went to town on this. They talked about how when you have a DE rush to the outside everytime, you make him very predictable, and easier to block. How you can have a pro bowl DE matched up w/ a mediocre LT, and the LT is more likely to win the battle as they know what the DE is going to do. They can simply focus on pushed the DE further outside and out of the play.

They spent quite a bit of time ripping the staff on this, saying its a miracle our DEs can get as much pressure as they do.

It has always driven me nuts how Brown would take such wide angles to the QB, but then I would realize he wasn't the only one, and it was more likely the staff. Then I saw Anderson as a rookie mix it up as a rookie. Then as a 2nd year player, given the starting job, he was just like Brown always taking that outside edge. I guess I assumed that as a rookie, he was more doing what came natural to him, but once made a starter, the coaches got their teeth in him and killed him. That is why I have hope w/ him, as I saw some of the old moved from him the other day.

Anyway, just curious of your thought as this has always bugged the hell out of me. We base our entire scheme on the front four getting to the QB, but at the same time, we seem to handcuff the DL.

Okay, as a coach, I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject. It is one of my BIG "issues" w/ the staff and how we do things, and only got to be bigger after an interview I heard last year.

Listening to the Score last year. Idonije was on and asked if they ever stunt in games, or even practices stunts, misdirection, or anything of the like. After a bit of a pause, as the question took him off-guard, he said no. He them seemed to try to explain his way out, by saying how our line is so good, we don't need too and how we can rush straight up. Well, after his interview was over, there were a couple ex-bears on the show who gave their opinion. Damn me if I can recall who the bears were, but they were not no-names. Anyway, they went to town on this. They talked about how when you have a DE rush to the outside everytime, you make him very predictable, and easier to block. How you can have a pro bowl DE matched up w/ a mediocre LT, and the LT is more likely to win the battle as they know what the DE is going to do. They can simply focus on pushed the DE further outside and out of the play.

They spent quite a bit of time ripping the staff on this, saying its a miracle our DEs can get as much pressure as they do.

It has always driven me nuts how Brown would take such wide angles to the QB, but then I would realize he wasn't the only one, and it was more likely the staff. Then I saw Anderson as a rookie mix it up as a rookie. Then as a 2nd year player, given the starting job, he was just like Brown always taking that outside edge. I guess I assumed that as a rookie, he was more doing what came natural to him, but once made a starter, the coaches got their teeth in him and killed him. That is why I have hope w/ him, as I saw some of the old moved from him the other day.

Anyway, just curious of your thought as this has always bugged the hell out of me. We base our entire scheme on the front four getting to the QB, but at the same time, we seem to handcuff the DL.

Dude, I totally agree with you on this subject. Just like you said with Anderson, his rookie year he was just doing what he did on instinct. Then when he was coached up he looked like trash.

I think that X's and O' wise our coaches are decent. They are some things that I would do differently as far as play calls and such. But I dont think they do a good job teaching technique as I see our guys often doing things and I am like WTF. And alot of times I dont know if it is just the player being lazy, cause I see our defense look like they go through the motions sometimes, or its poor teaching. I would think that it is tough to get some of those guys to do what you wanted. As a high school coach, I am much more in control of the players. If my MLB doesn't hustle I can make him run, sit his butt down, etc. I wouldn't think they could or would do that to Url or Briggs. I see Briggs do poor fundamentals all the time. He misses a ton of tackles, but also makes a ton of plays. Imagine what he would do if he just used better technique when breaking down and tackling.

Also our coaches player development is suspect IMO. Look at Daniel Manning, dude has a ton of physical talent but they jerk him around and he doesn't look like he is coached up. JA loves to take the small school guys and thats fine is you have good teachers as coaches. I dont think we do.

The thing that I was always told as a young coach was "at the end of the day, the players reflect the coach". Now that I am experienced I always tell that to the younger guys because they will make excuses on why their kids aren't doing what they need to do. The job of a coach is to get the players to do what you want them to do by whatever means possible. The same method might not work with everybody because everyone learns differently and has a different background. A bad coach will just say this is the way it is and its the players fault.

Thats why it sucks when you see Bobby Wade's , Justin Gage's, and Chris Harris' go and be productive elsewhere. Thats kind of an indication of how our coaching staff is.

I like Lovie, but I'm not sure of our position coaches.

I totally agree and there's always been a lack of creativity under Lovie. With the athletes we have on our Dline we should be taking advantage of them by using stunts and more inside moves from the DEs. Harris is fast enough to stunt to the outside. We've had this discussion for years now. Remember when we never used a safety or corner blitz? We saw a bit more of that last year. Remember when Urlacher's blitzes always came straight up the middle.

I think that X's and O' wise our coaches are decent. They are some things that I would do differently as far as play calls and such. But I dont think they do a good job teaching technique as I see our guys often doing things and I am like WTF. And alot of times I dont know if it is just the player being lazy, cause I see our defense look like they go through the motions sometimes, or its poor teaching. I would think that it is tough to get some of those guys to do what you wanted. As a high school coach, I am much more in control of the players. If my MLB doesn't hustle I can make him run, sit his butt down, etc. I wouldn't think they could or would do that to Url or Briggs. I see Briggs do poor fundamentals all the time. He misses a ton of tackles, but also makes a ton of plays. Imagine what he would do if he just used better technique when breaking down and tackling.

Also our coaches player development is suspect IMO. Look at Daniel Manning, dude has a ton of physical talent but they jerk him around and he doesn't look like he is coached up. JA loves to take the small school guys and thats fine is you have good teachers as coaches. I dont think we do.

I agree about the technique, though I am not totally sure about Xs and Os. Especially Turner. I just am not a fan of his playcalling. On defense, it is a bit harder to tell, but too often we seem to be in the exact opposite D we need for a particular offensive play. We call a blitz to one side as they happen to call a bootleg to the other side. Outside blitz on an inside run. That sort of thing.

Honestly, I just do not think much of our coaches. I think our players do as well as they do more in spite of our coaches, rather than due to them. Ditto w/ player development. Some players like Briggs or Vasher (for example) I think would develop no matter what. Others, like you mention D.Manning, are players w/ loads of raw talent, but need to be developed. That just doesn't happen for us too oftne. I have seen several posts talking about Angelo drafts, and many 2nd day picks are pointed out as doing well, but for other teams. Leon Joe and others. Well, most 2nd day players are high in talent, but in need of more development. What does it say that these players need to leave to develop?

The thing that I was always told as a young coach was "at the end of the day, the players reflect the coach". Now that I am experienced I always tell that to the younger guys because they will make excuses on why their kids aren't doing what they need to do. The job of a coach is to get the players to do what you want them to do by whatever means possible. The same method might not work with everybody because everyone learns differently and has a different background. A bad coach will just say this is the way it is and its the players fault.

Something I have always thought is this. A team that over-achieves is well coached. A team that under-achieves is not. Lots of grey in between, but it is a general thing I have always felt. It seems like our team (players individually, and the team as a whole) too often under-achieve. I mean, how many players can we say truly are over-achievers?

Thats why it sucks when you see Bobby Wade's , Justin Gage's, and Chris Harris' go and be productive elsewhere. Thats kind of an indication of how our coaching staff is.

I like Lovie, but I'm not sure of our position coaches.

Not a fan of Lovie. (a) the position coaches you are not fond of, were his hires. (B) if they are not getting it done, it is his job to make a change. © I hate his defensive scheme, and feel much of Babich's weaknesses are really Lovie (d) and finally, I have to ask if Lovie isn't part of the problem w/ character and off-field issues. Lovie is a choir boy, but also a tad nice and too easy. If Benson was a slacker in practice, would he get away w/ it if Cower or Fisher were the coaches. Tank? Briggs? Players taking it easy. Players playing sloppy (technique). I mean, how much of this is Lovie, and how much he allows players to get away with.

I'll see your hand, and raise you:

Marc Colombo, Roosevelt Williams, Terrence Metcalf, Michael Haynes, Rex Grossman, Tank Johnson, Cedric Benson, Mark Bradley, Danieal Manning, Dusty Dvoracek

Thanks genius. I thought all early round picks are supposed to work out? Thanks for clearing it up.

Look, I know there are some bad ones but he makes a killing does JA off 2-5 round picks. Period.

Before you get too down on him for that, you are describing 99% of what I see our DEs do since Babich took over. Frankly, I think it is Lovie, but also think Rivera was able to keep Lovie from totally killing our players.

Bingo. This has been one of my biggest irritations for the last couple years. It makes NO sense whatsoever. Pisses me off. It is a lot easier to use cutback lanes when you know both the opponent's DEs are 10 yards wide. Sure, it's harder for a QB to scramble, but this isn't flag football. If this DL ever used stunts and varying moves on a consistent basis, it'd look like the gang-busting unit like the Giants last year.

Bingo. This has been one of my biggest irritations for the last couple years. It makes NO sense whatsoever. Pisses me off. It is a lot easier to use cutback lanes when you know both the opponent's DEs are 10 yards wide. Sure, it's harder for a QB to scramble, but this isn't flag football. If this DL ever used stunts and varying moves on a consistent basis, it'd look like the gang-busting unit like the Giants last year.

Well there is a certain way to attack the pocket so you dont give up contain or cut back lanes. Running straight ahead upfield so you make it easy for the tackle to ride you aint it.

Excellent breakdown of info nfo'.

A couple of things I'd like to add for comment: On Olsen. There was one play where he was lined up on he left side, and the play was a run behind him. He was the LAST guy off the LOS, in fact, I think he forgot the snap count. So everyone and their uncle was moving for a full two counts before he got out of his stance. Come on. You're not a rookie and you may not earn your keep being a blocker. But know the snap count or you're going to find yourself relegated to a specialist.

Some rays of hope for our OL in that Tyler Reed, Kirk Barton and Josh Beekman were positives. I thought Beekman got out in space and shielded pursuit on a few outside plays. I'm so tired of seeing our OL pull out and then let everyone run past them. It's not enough to get there. You gotta find someone and take them out of the play.

All of our RBs played well, and that was a relief to see. Heck, someone's gotta talk me outta wanting Lusaka Pollitte to challenge as our starter at FB (you know he won't be given a shot).

Can we stop trying to force the round peg in the square hole with Bennett on the KOR? Holy smokes that was bad.

Speaking of bad, Danieal Manning indeed does still suck.

A couple of things I'd like to add for comment: On Olsen. There was one play where he was lined up on he left side, and the play was a run behind him. He was the LAST guy off the LOS, in fact, I think he forgot the snap count. So everyone and their uncle was moving for a full two counts before he got out of his stance. Come on. You're not a rookie and you may not earn your keep being a blocker. But know the snap count or you're going to find yourself relegated to a specialist.

Some rays of hope for our OL in that Tyler Reed, Kirk Barton and Josh Beekman were positives. I thought Beekman got out in space and shielded pursuit on a few outside plays. I'm so tired of seeing our OL pull out and then let everyone run past them. It's not enough to get there. You gotta find someone and take them out of the play.

All of our RBs played well, and that was a relief to see. Heck, someone's gotta talk me outta wanting Lusaka Pollitte to challenge as our starter at FB (you know he won't be given a shot).

Can we stop trying to force the round peg in the square hole with Bennett on the KOR? Holy smokes that was bad.

Great to see ya again Noots. How's life treating you? Hope all is going good!

Is there going to be a Noots' Notes column this year? TalkBears has a Front Page for news and it sure would be great if you decided to start up your column if you would include us in your efforts!

Talk Chicago Sports Network (TCSN)

I have no doubt DBDB would welcome your Column with open arms and set it up for you to be highlighted.

Noots - great to hear from you!!!!! Hope all is well.

Both Tom Thayer and Hub Arkush have been talking up Kirk Barton. Thayer really like what he has seen from him. Maybe we got lucky and have a 7th round steal.

On Bennett, I have no idea why they have Bennett return kicks. If not Hester, I can think of at least 3 players I would rather have in that role.

Take care of yourself and don't be a stranger.

Peace :dabears

Look, I know there are some bad ones but he makes a killing does JA off 2-5 round picks. Period.

Look. My daughter believes Strawberry Shortcake is real, and wants to visit her and her friends. Believing it to be true, and actually being true, are two very different things.

You throw out comments about how Angelo owns the 2nd through 5th rounds, but I have given lists, and while you make funny little comments, you really offer little evidence to support such claims.

Brown in the 4th was solid/great. But the 2nd, 3rd and two 5th round picks were busts.

Great 2nd and 3rd w/ Tillman and Briggs. 4th and 5th? Not bad. This was actually one of those really bad 1st round, but pretty solid after, years.

Bad 2nd w/ Tank. Good 3rd w/ Berrian. Great 4th w/ Vasher. Bad 5th w/ Leon Joe.

Bradly, Orton, Currie. Not a great middle draft.

Great job w/ Hester, and Anderson in the 5th was a great find. D.Manning, Dusty and Jamar Williams all have yet to prove jack.

Still a bit early to really say about anyone.

Does Angelo have some hits between the 2nd and 5th. Sure. He would be gone if he didn't. But the idea he owns these rounds I think is laughable. I think he gained such a rep in 2003, but when you take an honest look, his middle rounds simply are not that great.

Hey stranger. Good to see a post from ya.

Yea, I have actually sort of bashed Olsen already. I recorded the game, and after noticing a couple questionable plays, started to focus on him a few times. His blocking was horrendous. The man is no small fry, but when he would engage, he would get pushed around like a ragdoll. I couldn't believe just how bad he was. Didn't matter whether he was blocking a DE, DT, LB or what. He was moved around as if he weren't there. Also noticed his being a tick late to move off the snap. Some would talk about how blocking was never his strong suit, but I didn't realize it was a flat out weakness either. Further, I keep reading about him dropping ball in practice, and he dropped quite a few last year too.

This guy was a 1st round pick. I think it fair to expect more than what we have seen so far. Right now, I am wondering if this years 2nd day TE couldn't challenge.

I didn't notice Reed much. I liked much of what I saw from Beekman. As much of a positive as it was for him, how much of a knock was his play on the staff that wouldn't give him a chance. Think about that. If Metcalf were healthy, Beekman would still be backing up Kreutz. Metcalf? As for Barton, I actually wanted him as early as the 4th or 5th round of the draft. I was thrilled we got him, especially as late as we did. I had been disappointed I hadn't heard anything before now. I actually was hoping we would give him a shot at the ROG position.

Um, you want our staff to stop forcing the round peg? That is this staff's forte. And regarding Manning, I said the identical thing already. I have yet to see what he is good at.