Double Z thinks....

Connorbear

Zach Zaidman (sp?) who is the SCORE Bears reporter and WBBM's sideline reporter during the games believes that the Bears will keep on 2 QBs on the roster and try to get Hanie on the practice squad. His thought is the roster spot that is eaten by Williams will be used to keep another offensive lineman and thus the Bears will only be able to keep 2 Qbs on the roster.

Peace :dabears

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

name='Connorbear' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:33 PM' post='43719']

Zach Zaidman (sp?) who is the SCORE Bears reporter and WBBM's sideline reporter during the games believes that the Bears will keep on 2 QBs on the roster and try to get Hanie on the practice squad. His thought is the roster spot that is eaten by Williams will be used to keep another offensive lineman and thus the Bears will only be able to keep 2 Qbs on the roster.

If that is the case, I'm starting a Bill Cowher campaign. Hell, I've been doing it anyway. I'm sick of the idiotic things I keep hearing from our organization from JA to the waterboy. Williams will provide NOTHING to us this year, if ever. Not IRing him is only so JA can save face. Someone doesn't get a chance to play because we've got a set of stubborn ass's running the show.

And Hanie will be snapped up from the PS. And we'll be up the creek when both QBs go down with injuries. Man, whatever happened to looking ahead, being proactive. Lovie and JA are really on thin ice this season. I'd rather we IR'd Williams than put Hanie on the practice squad.

If that is the case, I'm starting a Bill Cowher campaign. Hell, I've been doing it anyway. I'm sick of the idiotic things I keep hearing from our organization from JA to the waterboy. Williams will provide NOTHING to us this year, if ever. Not IRing him is only so JA can save face. Someone doesn't get a chance to play because we've got a set of stubborn ass's running the show.

Never gonna happen but a guy can dream. I would love for Cowher to come here, just imagine his zone blitzing scheme with Urlacher and Briggs. Think about how hard it was for us to pay Lovie, now think about what Cowher will command.

As far as Hanie, he absolutely should be on the roster, if anything because we have to figure this time next year Rex or Orton will be gone and Hanie SHOULD be the number 2.

I think it's a great idea. I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt Hanie (an undrafted free agent) would get picked up onto someone's 53 man roster from waivers. There are SO many other guys that will be out there and available that I doubt a UDFA from the BEARS would be the best prospect out there.

Whether Angelo is trying to save face or not is kinda irrelevant. I was thinking that we were planning on going with 2 QBs on the active roster to carry 4 RBs BEFORE Williams even got hurt. I don't see the two issues being related.

Now the question is where else we have to leave ourselves short. I think that we might go a little short on the Oline for backups if we can stash Barton or Balough there.

Williams will provide NOTHING to us this year, if ever. Not IRing him is only so JA can save face.

Just a thought:

What if placing Hanie on the PS or IR was to keep Hanie from showing up JA?

After all, Hanie chose da Bears, not JA choosing him. The staff could then say they developed him. B)

Someone doesn't get a chance to play because we've got a set of stubborn ass's running the show.

If Hanie is lost to another team, IMdO, it is the final proof that da Bears have INEPT goons running the show, seriously.

If Hanie is lost to another team, IMdO, it is the final proof that da Bears have INEPT goons running the show, seriously.

I like what I have seen from Hanie but still think it is too early to say he is a NFL capable QB. If he continues to play like this over the next 3 games then I see no choice but to keep him on the 53 man roster. With all the issues the Bears have had at QB, why would you risk letting a talented QB go???

I like what I have seen from Hanie but still think it is too early to say he is a NFL capable QB. If he continues to play like this over the next 3 games then I see no choice but to keep him on the 53 man roster. With all the issues the Bears have had at QB, why would you risk letting a talented QB go???

100% correct.

By the way, all this Hanie love, at this point in time, is borderline idiotic. Get over yourselves. He's played 1/2 of football against the third string of a horrible team. It's pathetic how fans clamor for a guy like this after he's shown so little. Connor is right, give him a few more games to prove if he even belongs here before you start trashing the coach and GM who got us to a Superbowl only two seasons ago. It's ridiculous.

Further, just a point of order, just because ZZ says it, doesn't make it true. You girls have your panties firmly wedged up your coochies and you have no clue what the Bears will do. And you have no freaking idea if he'll get "snatched off the practice squad." He's a guy NOBODY drafted and he's got that whopping 30 minutes of NFL preseason experience. Oh yeah, I'm sure the Patriots are just chomping at the bit to get their opportunity to sign this guy to a 10 year, $100 million contract. Sheesh.

In general, I agree. But I would also state the idea of his being grabbed off the practice squad, based on NOTHING MORE than what has been seen to this point, is not out of the question.

He has had a pretty good camp, according to all reports. While a QB in his situation having a decent camp may get zero publicity, in a QB starved city like ours, it at times warranted front page news. So there was already a tad bit of buzz. Then we start preseason, and he has a nice looking performance in the 2nd half. Against lesser competition? Absolutely. While you take everything in perspective, at the same time, you play even that part of the game for a reason. It is an opportunity to look at players. If that part of the game is such a waste, why even play it.

It isn't like Hanie was a total unknown. He was known during the draft. I believe when we got him, several other teams were looking at him. It wouldn't surprise me if several teams were considering him late in the draft, but choose to go in another direction.

Anyway, the point is some teams may well have considered taking Hanie already, and then combined w/ good reports out of camp and a nice showing, he very well could today be a player other teams are watching to see what we do w/

At the end of the day, I guess I question why we would even risk it. IF, and it is a huge if, but if he is jack as a QB, why would the most QB starved team in the league expose him?

100% correct.

all this Hanie love, He's played 1/2 of football against the third string of a horrible team.

From what I saw, Caleb Hanie has the tools to start in the NFL. He was playing with AND against second/third stringers and showed poise,

footwork, arm-strength, and proper decision making. I firmly believe his loss to another team would be the final condemnation of this staff.

Now, if you’d like to discuss this like a respectful, intelligent individual I would enjoy it, but, I doubt we’ll find much common ground if you’re merely content with going to a Super Bowl.

In general, I agree. But I would also state the idea of his being grabbed off the practice squad, based on NOTHING MORE than what has been seen to this point, is not out of the question.

He has had a pretty good camp, according to all reports. While a QB in his situation having a decent camp may get zero publicity, in a QB starved city like ours, it at times warranted front page news. So there was already a tad bit of buzz. Then we start preseason, and he has a nice looking performance in the 2nd half. Against lesser competition? Absolutely. While you take everything in perspective, at the same time, you play even that part of the game for a reason. It is an opportunity to look at players. If that part of the game is such a waste, why even play it.

It isn't like Hanie was a total unknown. He was known during the draft. I believe when we got him, several other teams were looking at him. It wouldn't surprise me if several teams were considering him late in the draft, but choose to go in another direction.

Anyway, the point is some teams may well have considered taking Hanie already, and then combined w/ good reports out of camp and a nice showing, he very well could today be a player other teams are watching to see what we do w/

At the end of the day, I guess I question why we would even risk it. IF, and it is a huge if, but if he is jack as a QB, why would the most QB starved team in the league expose him?

nf, there's a quote button for a reason.

Try using this for a change. p_mq_add.gif<------

From what I saw, Caleb Hanie has the tools to start in the NFL. He was playing with AND against second/third stringers and showed poise,

footwork, arm-strength, and proper decision making. I firmly believe his loss to another team would be the final condemnation of this staff.

Now, if you’d like to discuss this like a respectful, intelligent individual I would enjoy it, but, I doubt we’ll find much common ground if you’re merely content with going to a Super Bowl.

Whatever. It's a joke that fans get this worked up over a guy in this situation. All the "I condemn the staff if they don't keep Hanie off the practice squad" type stuff is precisely what I'm talking about. And it isn't just here, you see it on TV, read it in the papers and hear it all over the radio. Put this guy out there week one of the regular season against the Colts with Freeney breathing down his neck every down and then get back to me. Until then, he's an undrafted camp-fodder guy who had a good 1/2 of preseason football against the 3rd string of a terrible team. Those are the facts.

And as for being satisfied with going to a Superbowl... I doubt we'd ever get there again if the coaches and GM were picked by windsock fans who get wood every time they see a QB perform well against highschool level talent.

In general, I agree.

You should've stopped there.

But I would also state the idea of his being grabbed off the practice squad, based on NOTHING MORE than what has been seen to this point, is not out of the question.

Not out of the question? Hell yes, it is. If he doesn't do a THING between now and the start of the year, his wonderful half of football against the third string of the mighty Chiefs will be long forgotten.

Most NFL execs would say we have too many preseason games and the players are unnecessarily exposed to injury. They put guys like him out there in the second half of joke games like this for a reason. And our being "QB starved" is no excuse for acting like we know dog shit about football. It's embarrassing.

LOL. Yeah, they did. And since then what exactly has changed?

And here I don't disagree and never did. The kid looks good. I like him. But when some here say "I'll turn in my Bears fan badge if they don't protect this kid" it makes me sick. I know there are reasons to get emotional about this team but please...

Hey dog, we see the same thing every year. Every year, there are players we fall in love w/ in camp. Often it seems like some hard hitting safety or a WR instantly become fan favorites.

This year it is a QB, and a whole new ball of wax, so to speak.

If he does nothing from this point forward, then sure, no one is going to care much about him. My point was, at this point, I think he may have (a) already been on a few teams radar and (B) may have intrigued those already interested teams even more.

Frankly, while I agree w/ you that I don't see the point in (getting panties bunched), at the same time, I am not even sure why this is such a firestorm. When have we gone into the season w/ only 2 QBs. Maybe a team like Indy, who has a starter known for playing 16 games, can get away w/ it, but as often as not, we use all three QBs on our roster, so I am not sure why anyone thinks our staff would enter the season w/ only 2 QBs on the roster.

To keep Williams off IR, we are going to have to eat a roster spot somewhere, but I seriously doubt it will be at QB. More often, you give up a roster spot at a position of strength, where you are less likely to need that last guy on the depth chart, rather than a position of need, where your starters are questionable and your depth is more often needed.

Didn't see the need. I use the bold feature when I am making a point to point argument, but when I am talking more in general terms, I think using the quote feature can be done w/o.

Plus, as often as Crucker yells about using the quote feature, it is a bit of fun to not quote. I hate to make him too happy :)

I'm pretty sure that the only thing we would have to worry about is Hanie clearing waivers after final cuts and BEFORE he would get signed to the practice squad. Even then, I doubt that there would be any team out there that didn't draft him in the 7th round that thinks he's going to be a better prospect than any of the other guys available - and sign him just after trimming THEIR roster to 52 guys. I just seriously can't see that happening. I don't think it's POSSIBLE for him to do anything against Walmart guys to garner such high regard.

As it's been pointed out, Hanie chose the Bears. I think it most likely because he figured that it would be his best chance to move up the depth chart. Next year he's likely to be 2nd string if things go perfectly.

So, what's the worst case scenario if we sign him to the practice squad? Some other team offers to sign him to their 53 man roster? All the Bears have to do then is sign him to their own 53 man roster. (Remember he chose to be here most likely because of the opportunity) So they were trying to save a roster spot and ended up having to put him on the roster. Big whoop! They probably would get by that way for at least a few weeks before they have to make a decision.

I really can't see a scenario where Hanie would go anywhere else by choice and the only possible other situation is waivers before he's signed to the practice squad.

Oh wait! I fogot it's Chicken Little season.

Plus, as often as Crucker yells about using the quote feature, it is a bit of fun to not quote. I hate to make him too happy :)

The feeling is mutual. :rolleyes:

Hey, at least I'm not ignorant about using a tool provided on the web site to make communication more clear. Although, let's be honest, your incoherent babble probably couldn't be salvaged, regardless. Perhaps a "Dumb to English" dictionary would help...

This year it is a QB, and a whole new ball of wax, so to speak.

Oh, we've seen our share of franchise saviors playing in the second halves of preseason games before... This won't be the last time, either.

Frankly, while I agree w/ you that I don't see the point in (getting panties bunched), at the same time, I am not even sure why this is such a firestorm. When have we gone into the season w/ only 2 QBs. Maybe a team like Indy, who has a starter known for playing 16 games, can get away w/ it, but as often as not, we use all three QBs on our roster, so I am not sure why anyone thinks our staff would enter the season w/ only 2 QBs on the roster.

True. Although we may also be considering adding a vet from somewhere too. Our GM isn't incompetent.

To keep Williams off IR, we are going to have to eat a roster spot somewhere, but I seriously doubt it will be at QB. More often, you give up a roster spot at a position of strength, where you are less likely to need that last guy on the depth chart, rather than a position of need, where your starters are questionable and your depth is more often needed.

Probably doesn't help we're already eating one for Hester... Maybe.

Bad idea...

I'd rather see WIlliams go on the IR... We can't risk his getting injured. I think it's time to chalk it up to dumb luck and prep him for next season and not rush him back into a potential career ending injury.

We need Hanie. Rex has made a career of being injuerd... And as much as I want to give Orton a chnace to prove himself...I fear neither him nor Rex will get it done this season. May as well throw the kid in for reps at the end of the season if/when all hope is lost.

Chile! I regret not reading your post before I posted mine!

You took the words right out of my mouth (or keyboard)!

And Hanie will be snapped up from the PS. And we'll be up the creek when both QBs go down with injuries. Man, whatever happened to looking ahead, being proactive. Lovie and JA are really on thin ice this season. I'd rather we IR'd Williams than put Hanie on the practice squad.

So, what's the worst case scenario if we sign him to the practice squad? Some other team offers to sign him to their 53 man roster? All the Bears have to do then is sign him to their own 53 man roster.

Thank you, great post!

I'd add that I do see the possibility that Hanie could refuse because a better offer materializes. It is certainly remote, but, it does exist.

Furthermore, let's consider that losing him to another team is NOT a possibility, how much faster is his development as #3 QB vs. PS QB?

The offense is currently auditioning for a starting QB into the third quarter of a pre-season game. I for one am NOT happy with our cheap-mart

and worse book-ends at QB and would love to see continued efforts to improve the most important position on a football team.

Didn't see the need. I use the bold feature when I am making a point to point argument, but when I am talking more in general terms, I think using the quote feature can be done w/o.

Don't see the need? :rolleyes:

Bad idea...

I'd rather see WIlliams go on the IR... We can't risk his getting injured. I think it's time to chalk it up to dumb luck and prep him for next season and not rush him back into a potential career ending injury.

We need Hanie. Rex has made a career of being injuerd... And as much as I want to give Orton a chnace to prove himself...I fear neither him nor Rex will get it done this season. May as well throw the kid in for reps at the end of the season if/when all hope is lost.

And if Grossman gets injured or we want to play him in games later in the season, we can't promote him to the 53 man roster why?

eh? Can't hear you?

Oh, that's right, WE CAN!!!!!

BTW - Has anyone followed any othe preseason games? If I'm not mistaken, quite a few of the 3rd string guys have looked pretty good against the Walmart guys. It's not unique to Hanie. In fact, I read that for the Packers, Flynn ('08 6th rounder) looked better than Brohm ('08 2nd rounder). Any see a correlation there? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Ferris here...

Without being snide myself...my understanding is he's on the PS, then any team can pluck him away. I don't want him plucked. If/when Grossman gets injured, we'd then have to go shopping in the FA market to get a guy.

I'd think differently about Hanie if we had a legit 3rd option. We don't he's it. Here's what what know... He looked good when he played agasint 3rd stringers. He at least didn't look bad. Let's not put ourselves behind the 8 ball and hope that no ohter club takes him.

If we even had 2 decent QB's as our guys, I may feel different. But odds are we will need the 3rd. History dictates so. Why not our guy in camp now who's looked good when asked to regardless of what competition he's facing? Let's see how the next 3 games pan out...things can change. But right now, we should make Hanie our #3 on our roster.

And if Grossman gets injured or we want to play him in games later in the season, we can't promote him to the 53 man roster why?

eh? Can't hear you?

Oh, that's right, WE CAN!!!!!

BTW - Has anyone followed any othe preseason games? If I'm not mistaken, quite a few of the 3rd string guys have looked pretty good against the Walmart guys. It's not unique to Hanie. In fact, I read that for the Packers, Flynn ('08 6th rounder) looked better than Brohm ('08 2nd rounder). Any see a correlation there? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?