Briggs chimes in on Thomas Jones trade...

madlithuanian

BRIGGS DOESN’T GET WHY BEARS TRADED JONES

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 5, 2008, 1:47 p.m.

Early in 2007, the Bears decided that Cedric Benson was their running back of the future and shipped Thomas Jones off to the Jets.

Putting their faith in Benson was obviously a mistake on the part of the Bears’ front office, and some Bears players still haven’t forgotten it, more than a year later.

“Honestly, more than I am frustrated that Cedric Benson didn’t pan out here, I am more frustrated that a guy like Thomas Jones, who was our best offensive weapon for the years that he was here, was traded and let go,” Bears linebacker Lance Briggs told a Chicago radio station, per the Sun-Times. “Because the guy, Thomas Jones, he was a great, great leader for the Bears. He was a fiery leader. He was a guy that when he got out on the field there were no biases to who he went to and told, ‘Hey, we need to get this done.’

“He went out and he played hard every day and even when we didn’t win our league, the guy gave his whole heart and soul. He was our best offensive player every year that he was here. That was more frustrating, that he’s not with us today.”But Briggs’ comments should be taken more as a slap at Benson than as a criticism of this year’s running backs. Briggs calls rookie Matt Forte “an instant upgrade from what we had here last year.”

It’s safe to say that Benson’s old teammates don’t miss him. And if the opinion in the Bears’ locker room reflects the opinion around the league, it’s easy to see why Benson hasn’t found a job since the Bears cut him.

It’s safe to say that Benson’s old teammates don’t miss him. And if the opinion in the Bears’ locker room reflects the opinion around the league, it’s easy to see why Benson hasn’t found a job since the Bears cut him.

Sum it up: Benson was an immature douche bag and we made a mistake putting our faith in him.

What is the point in bringing this up? Jerry Angelo just gave him a crap load of money. Maybe, intead of calling jerry out (which IMHO this does) he can work on not blowing tackles and earn his new money.

Exacly. Lance needs to shut up and play football.

Peace :dabears

What is the point in bringing this up? Jerry Angelo just gave him a crap load of money. Maybe, intead of calling jerry out (which IMHO this does) he can work on not blowing tackles and earn his new money.

No Crap.

I dont understand why he misses tackles and drives his car into poles in the middle of the night.

What a moron.

Absolutely agree. This dumbshit opens his mouth now? Shit, Keep your mind on the business at hand. Start worrying about how you and your buddy Urlacher are gonna handle the Colts come Sunday ya dickcheese. It's over and Jones is gone and what we have now can be much more dangerous than what we had. Stop trying to be divisive and handle your phucking business.

Briggs is lucky he is good because he sure seems to like opening his trap a lot. You got your money, and you claim you didn't get enough. What the hell? Shut up- everyone on this board would kill for $6 million a year, so go out, and keep getting to Hawaii in February. Now, you rip on the GM and a former RB. Shut your mouth, Lance, and go make some plays Sunday.

I think everyone knows that Benson is an idiot. We didn't need Briggs to go out and talk about this. This defense does nothing but talk and its why they haven't produced on the field in over a year.

A-Freakin-Men. These guys always have their mouths running. Too bad their feet don't run in the same direction.

That's alright, I thought TJ was overrated by people, but its obvious that his former teammates would rather have him here than Cedric Benson.

Yeah but why bring up stuff from two years ago. I, too, thought TJ was overrated.

The point is these defensive guys seem worried about everything but stopping people.

They talk about how embarrassing they play in the preseason, but they dont play any better.

They talk about how they need to get paid, then they get paid, and they dont play any better.

Dont sing it, BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After listening to the broadcast I have to disagree about all the "shut up" talk. He was asked about the running game in so many words and compare it last year, He stated that he liked Benson as person, ( Off the Field) But felt Benson professionaly was lacking and he never understood why Joens was let go. He was such a influence in the locker room and he was definate influence to the rest of the team. He never jabbed JA and felt it was more Bensons fault then anything else. At least thats what I got out of it. So Ill say that in a casual interview like it was , the question he answered was very professional. Now if Mike North was answering it it woulda come out a lot different.

I have to agree with what Grizzly said. I happened to catch this live when it happened on the SCORE (I'm assuming this is the same interview) during the Chicago Bears "All Access." If I remember correctly, they were doing the broadcast live from a bar.

It was basically Briggs, Doug Bafone, and I think Zac Zaidman. It wasn't Briggs going off on a reporter, it was just more matter-of-factly "here's what I think." I didn't think it was a big deal when I heard it, and when you sit a guy in front of the microphone for an hour or two, he might say something that could be viewed as controversial.

After Briggs made his point on Benson, Doug Baffone went off on how he knew Benson was bad when he starting complaining about being hit in practice. Baffone's point was that you earn your teammates respect, and complaining doesn't get it done.

I hate how with the media players can't have an opinion without it being scruitinized. Benson's gone. Jones is gone. Lance said, "Here's what I think . . . "

I can't believe we're even discussing this.

I have to agree with what Grizzly said. I happened to catch this live when it happened on the SCORE (I'm assuming this is the same interview) during the Chicago Bears "All Access." If I remember correctly, they were doing the broadcast live from a bar.

It was basically Briggs, Doug Bafone, and I think Zac Zaidman. It wasn't Briggs going off on a reporter, it was just more matter-of-factly "here's what I think." I didn't think it was a big deal when I heard it, and when you sit a guy in front of the microphone for an hour or two, he might say something that could be viewed as controversial.

After Briggs made his point on Benson, Doug Baffone went off on how he knew Benson was bad when he starting complaining about being hit in practice. Baffone's point was that you earn your teammates respect, and complaining doesn't get it done.

I hate how with the media players can't have an opinion without it being scruitinized. Benson's gone. Jones is gone. Lance said, "Here's what I think . . . "

I can't believe we're even discussing this.

I can't believe you can't believe we're discussing it. But we are. Would you rather discuss Sarah Palin?

I can't believe you can't believe we're discussing it. But we are. Would you rather discuss Sarah Palin?

Yes and the only thing I will say is she is a MILF. Check out McCain checking her out on YouTube (McCain's Brain).

Any other input from me on her would have to be over on the Water Cooler.

Peace :dabears

I agree with you and if we look at the first10 picks of that same draft and see where they are now you would be surprised that the Bears aren't the only team to have made a mistake.

Check that! I just looked at the entire 32 picks of the first round and only 3 of the picks are considered stars Braylon Edwards,DeMarcus Ware and Shawn Merriman(Who will be playing on one leg and has been busted for a banned substance).Thats 29 other picks who have not reached a high level of play.3 of the top 10 players drafted that year are not with their original teams.2 of those are currently out of the league and 1 was suspended for a year.When you look at the draft this way it doesn't hurt as much.