Where was the running game?

OmahaBear

You guys again, are expecting miracles I think!

His stats are:

383 Rush yards (#8 in the league) (top rookie in league behind Chris Johnson)

2 Rushing TD's (#25 in league) - I'm sure this will pick up....McKie's runs could have easily been Forte's.

0 Fumbles (#1 in league)

76.6 yds per game (charing about 1/2 carries with Jones last game) (#11 in league)

3.6 average. (do that on 3 downs and it's a first)

172 yds rec.

2 rec TD's

I like. I like a lot. Better is better, but let's stop and smell the roses here... It's a much better smell than the septic tank of Benson.

I agree with Nfo, who's really not being as critical as some of you may be thinking.

Based on results and stats, Forte's not putting out what we ultimately want from him, but then again, in terms of sitting there watcing his play with our own eyes, you can see the talent and understand he's not as far from that goal as his stats would suggest. That's exactly how I felt about Orton during the first quarter of the season, yet almost nobody was tripping all over themselves "to be fair" (so to speak) about him the way they are Forte. So I find it very strange. Sort of like "Am I on the right messageboard?" :unsure: But it's a refreshing change. After the Benson debacle, JA needed a great pick at RB. It's easy to see the upside with Forte so I think he's going to work out.

Man you're something else. "Miracles" huh? 3.6ypc is not the goal, nor is what he did on the ground last Sunday, even with the box stacked. I'm happy with where he's at now for a rookie, and I've made that clear, so if you still think I'm asking too much by withholding effusive praise, then what can I say? ...other than wondering if you're glass half full when it has to do with any other Bear player (I'm bad at remembering who are the whiners and who are the homers on this board).

Also, on a side note, even if we don't quite have the bomb completions to back off the DB's, we're at least already getting plenty of medium completions, which will keep the LB's honest and help out Forte.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I'm totally happy with his receiving coming out of the backfield so far, which maybe I didn't make clear earlier. And that's been a pleasant surpise, though Orton and Turner get some credit too.

Why am I something else? Honestly, this kid is delivering. I expect him only to get better with some bumps in the road...as he is a rookie.

Feel free to withhold any praise. I just think it's a bit much asking him to be the next Jim Brown rattling off 5 YPC in the blink of an eye. We're 5 games into the season...let's let it play out a bit more! Enjoy the ride! When was the last time we could say that?

Man you're something else. "Miracles" huh? 3.6ypc is not the goal, nor is what he did on the ground last Sunday, even with the box stacked. I'm happy with where he's at now for a rookie, and I've made that clear, so if you still think I'm asking too much by withholding effusive praise, then what can I say? ...other than wondering if you're glass half full when it has to do with any other Bear player (I'm bad at remembering who are the whiners and who are the homers on this board).

Also, on a side note, even if we don't quite have the bomb completions to back off the DB's, we're at least already getting plenty of medium completions, which will keep the LB's honest and help out Forte.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I'm totally happy with his receiving coming out of the backfield so far, which maybe I didn't make clear earlier. And that's been a pleasant surpise, though Orton and Turner get some credit too.

I'm happy with what Forte is doing. He was virtually the entire offense during our first drive and led us to a FG. After that they started mixing in Jones. Forte had 15 carries he was pulled from the game and Jones picked up 10 carries with Wolfe getting 8 late in the game. Forte did most of his work early in the game when yards are harder to come by against a D that was stacked against the run. Yet during that time he averaged 6.2 yd/catch and I think those were on screen passes which are basically running plays. I doubt anyone on Detroit was upset when Forte sat on the bench.

I'm glad we were able to rest the kid and still pull off a big win.

I agree with Nfo, who's really not being as critical as some of you may be thinking.

Based on results and stats, Forte's not putting out what we ultimately want from him, but then again, in terms of sitting there watcing his play with our own eyes, you can see the talent and understand he's not as far from that goal as his stats would suggest. That's exactly how I felt about Orton during the first quarter of the season, yet almost nobody was tripping all over themselves "to be fair" (so to speak) about him the way they are Forte. So I find it very strange. Sort of like "Am I on the right messageboard?" :unsure: But it's a refreshing change. After the Benson debacle, JA needed a great pick at RB. It's easy to see the upside with Forte so I think he's going to work out.

if you only look at stats i could possibly agree with your statements. the point is forte is the best looking back i have 'seen' play in chicago in quite some time. it's the elusiveness, the quickness, the speed and power that impress me.

he has a rare and extremely important talent needed in a back called 'balance'. payton had it, neil anderson had it, and to some extent raymont harris had it also. the ability to get hit and not only stay on your feet but have the ability to drag tacklers along with him for extra yards. this is a critical component in a pro running back.

as many have said it is a bit early in his career to make him an all-pro player but he certainly has impressed me so far.

as far as the orton reference... i don't believe i have ever been unfair in his evaluation. he has improved steadily this season building upon good things and actually getting better with the problems he has faced.

although it's too early to anoint him our franchise qb, he certainly may just become that if he continues to improve. we will have a better idea what we have in orton by the last few games of the season.

Miracles? Not even close. You act like I am expecting 200 yard per game. I am not expecting miracles, but solid play. I expect about 4 ypc, which I think is fair. No, he may not get that in every game, but I think 4 ypc is pretty much the standard. Since when is expecting 4 ypc expecting a miracle?

His stats are:

Yea, that sounds great until you see that he is 2nd in the league in carries, and his ypc is only 3.6 ypc.

2 Rushing TD's (#25 in league) - I'm sure this will pick up....McKie's runs could have easily been Forte's.

No argument here.

0 Fumbles (#1 in league)

This is huge. I LOVE that he has not turned it over, which is extra meaningful after Benson.

76.6 yds per game (sharing about 1/2 carries with Jones last game) (#11 in league)

His per game average sounds good until you look a tad deeper at the numbers, which shows a great 1st game, and declining numbers in every game since.

Come on Mad. I think Benson averaged 3.4 ypc. You could have said that too would equal a 1st down on 3 carries, but (a) does it really work that way and (B) would anyone have said that if Benson were averageing 3.4 or 3.6 ypc?

I like. I like a lot. Better is better, but let's stop and smell the roses here... It's a much better smell than the septic tank of Benson.

Please do not confuse. I am not comparing Forte to Benson. I am not wishing we had Benson. I like Forte a ton. At the same time, why is it so hard to understand that Forte needs to do more. I don't care how you want to spin it. 3.6 ypc is not getting it done, not to mention the 3.0, 2.3 and 2.4 he has averaged in the last 3 games. I love to watch Forte. His legs are always moving. He shows solid burst, and often looks one step away from breaking free. I do appreciate much about him. At the same time, I just don't undertand why you find it so hard to understand a greater expectation than the results we have seen. I am not expecting miracles, but simply solid play from our starting RB. He started off solid, but has simply not done as well since. He needs to step it back up.

Why am I something else? Honestly, this kid is delivering. I expect him only to get better with some bumps in the road...as he is a rookie.

Feel free to withhold any praise. I just think it's a bit much asking him to be the next Jim Brown rattling off 5 YPC in the blink of an eye. We're 5 games into the season...let's let it play out a bit more! Enjoy the ride! When was the last time we could say that?

Your something else on this point because when some here say we simply want to see 4ypc, or at least better than the 2.4 he put up against Detroit (one of the worst run defenses in the league) you make a leap and say we expect Jim Brown or 5 ypc. When has anyone said we expect that much. In fact, if you go back to last week, I think many of those on your side of the fence were putting those expectations on him for the Detroit game, expect 150+ yards. You will not find such a post from me, as my expectations were never as great.

But my expectations are for greater than 2.4 ypc. My expectations are greater than 36 yards rushing against a bad run defense.

So please, do not try to twist this into my expecting Jim Brown or 5 ypc in his first 5 games of his rookie year. Never have I said even similar. But I do expect 4 ypc, or very close to it. From from Jim Brown or Walter Payton expectations.

I will agre w/ this statement. I thought it was ridiculous the number of carries he was at. If you run him into the ground, how will that help the team down the stretch. Even w/ the light day, he is still 2nd in the league in number of carries. I hope we see more of Kevin Jones, and even Wolfe, going forward. Not because I think they are better than Forte, but because I think we will kill the kid if we don't alter the number of carries we are giving him, which doesn't even count the number of catches and overall snaps.

W/ that said, while I want to spread it around more, please no more handoffs to the FB.

Give the kid rom room to improve...WE ARE ONLY 5 GAMES INTO THE SEASON!

Seriously, I tend to be negative about things, but this kid gives us all reason to smile. Let him do his thing, and sit back and enjoy. If after the season, you are unimpressed, we can address the issue. You seem to be giving Orton the benefit of the doubt, why not Forte?

I just think you're nit-picking a solid rookie RB...

Yes, we all want more, and improvement, yadda yadda yadda... But, what we've rec'd from him so far is wonderful! Enjoy it man!

Miracles? Not even close. You act like I am expecting 200 yard per game. I am not expecting miracles, but solid play. I expect about 4 ypc, which I think is fair. No, he may not get that in every game, but I think 4 ypc is pretty much the standard. Since when is expecting 4 ypc expecting a miracle?

His stats are:

Yea, that sounds great until you see that he is 2nd in the league in carries, and his ypc is only 3.6 ypc.

No argument here.

0 Fumbles (#1 in league)

This is huge. I LOVE that he has not turned it over, which is extra meaningful after Benson.

76.6 yds per game (sharing about 1/2 carries with Jones last game) (#11 in league)

His per game average sounds good until you look a tad deeper at the numbers, which shows a great 1st game, and declining numbers in every game since.

Come on Mad. I think Benson averaged 3.4 ypc. You could have said that too would equal a 1st down on 3 carries, but (a) does it really work that way and (B) would anyone have said that if Benson were averageing 3.4 or 3.6 ypc?

Please do not confuse. I am not comparing Forte to Benson. I am not wishing we had Benson. I like Forte a ton. At the same time, why is it so hard to understand that Forte needs to do more. I don't care how you want to spin it. 3.6 ypc is not getting it done, not to mention the 3.0, 2.3 and 2.4 he has averaged in the last 3 games. I love to watch Forte. His legs are always moving. He shows solid burst, and often looks one step away from breaking free. I do appreciate much about him. At the same time, I just don't undertand why you find it so hard to understand a greater expectation than the results we have seen. I am not expecting miracles, but simply solid play from our starting RB. He started off solid, but has simply not done as well since. He needs to step it back up.

I know...it so horrible.

Watching him pick up first downs, scoring once running and once receiving. He is just letting us all down with his paltry performances. Nevermind being taken out to give Jones more time that many have been demanding...I wonder, if like what A Train would do...more carries later in the game would have ammounted to more yards? But we won't know...we'll just have to settle with that horrific display of rushing.

So awful...

Your something else on this point because when some here say we simply want to see 4ypc, or at least better than the 2.4 he put up against Detroit (one of the worst run defenses in the league) you make a leap and say we expect Jim Brown or 5 ypc. When has anyone said we expect that much. In fact, if you go back to last week, I think many of those on your side of the fence were putting those expectations on him for the Detroit game, expect 150+ yards. You will not find such a post from me, as my expectations were never as great.

But my expectations are for greater than 2.4 ypc. My expectations are greater than 36 yards rushing against a bad run defense.

So please, do not try to twist this into my expecting Jim Brown or 5 ypc in his first 5 games of his rookie year. Never have I said even similar. But I do expect 4 ypc, or very close to it. From from Jim Brown or Walter Payton expectations.

Thank you for your logic! It is refreshing!

I'm happy with what Forte is doing. He was virtually the entire offense during our first drive and led us to a FG. After that they started mixing in Jones. Forte had 15 carries he was pulled from the game and Jones picked up 10 carries with Wolfe getting 8 late in the game. Forte did most of his work early in the game when yards are harder to come by against a D that was stacked against the run. Yet during that time he averaged 6.2 yd/catch and I think those were on screen passes which are basically running plays. I doubt anyone on Detroit was upset when Forte sat on the bench.

Your officially killing me mad. You act like I am hating on him. I am not. I am looking at him w/ a critical eye, just as I do (or at least try to do) w/ everyone.

Wow. I didn't realize I wasn't giving him time or room to improve.

I am asking for improvement. Does that sort of, by definition, mean I am giving him time to do so?

Seriously, I tend to be negative about things, but this kid gives us all reason to smile. Let him do his thing, and sit back and enjoy. If after the season, you are unimpressed, we can address the issue.

Prime example of where you are killing me. You imply above that I am "unimpressed". Are you reading my posts, or sort of glossing over them, making assumptions, and hitting the reply button. Come on Mad. While being critical, I have also said in nearly every post positive things about him. I have flat out said I love the kid. I have talked about his burst and how his legs never stop. I have given praise, but simply not blind praise. I am impressed. As I said, often he seems like one broken tackle from taking it to the house. At the same time, I also believe he needs to do more. That doesn't mean I have written him off, or passed judgement. Only that I think we need to see more out of him in the games to come.

You seem to be giving Orton the benefit of the doubt, why not Forte?

I do? Early on, while I complimented Orton on some aspects, I was also critical of others (like accuracy downfield). How exactly have I given Orton benefit of doubt.

nit-picking? I just don't think so. Nit-picking would be pointing out a hole here or there he missed in a game he ran for 100 yards on 25 carries. Saying that his 3 games in a row of between 2.3 and 3.0 ypc is not getting it done is far from nit-picking. He has tons of talent, but simply needs to step up his game more.

Sorry, but if this were just about any other RB we have had, you would be bashing him, as would everyone. My god. Imagine if Benson put up 2.4 ypc for 36 yards against Detroit. Shoot. Imagine if AP did.

Yes, we all want more, and improvement, yadda yadda yadda... But, what we've rec'd from him so far is wonderful! Enjoy it man!

Then at least we agree on something! You're killing me mad as well!

I think there's a thing being critical...and a thing being nit-picky. I think you're being nit-picky.

Fair enough...you want improvement. We all do. Until we improve enough to win a nother Super Bowl, I think that's basically a given.

I know you like him, but I swear that you ae not looking at the big picture. You spell out a lesser YPC over the last few games...obviously teams are a bit more aware of the young man, and obviously last game, the Bears ran him less giving way to Jones. You don't really seem to be accounting for that just giving pure stat lines. There's more to being a good RB than stat lines as we all know.

Honestly, we WANT to see more. But, let's be thankful for what we are seeing.

Your officially killing me mad. You act like I am hating on him. I am not. I am looking at him w/ a critical eye, just as I do (or at least try to do) w/ everyone.

Wow. I didn't realize I wasn't giving him time or room to improve.

I am asking for improvement. Does that sort of, by definition, mean I am giving him time to do so?

Seriously, I tend to be negative about things, but this kid gives us all reason to smile. Let him do his thing, and sit back and enjoy. If after the season, you are unimpressed, we can address the issue.

Prime example of where you are killing me. You imply above that I am "unimpressed". Are you reading my posts, or sort of glossing over them, making assumptions, and hitting the reply button. Come on Mad. While being critical, I have also said in nearly every post positive things about him. I have flat out said I love the kid. I have talked about his burst and how his legs never stop. I have given praise, but simply not blind praise. I am impressed. As I said, often he seems like one broken tackle from taking it to the house. At the same time, I also believe he needs to do more. That doesn't mean I have written him off, or passed judgement. Only that I think we need to see more out of him in the games to come.

You seem to be giving Orton the benefit of the doubt, why not Forte?

I do? Early on, while I complimented Orton on some aspects, I was also critical of others (like accuracy downfield). How exactly have I given Orton benefit of doubt.

nit-picking? I just don't think so. Nit-picking would be pointing out a hole here or there he missed in a game he ran for 100 yards on 25 carries. Saying that his 3 games in a row of between 2.3 and 3.0 ypc is not getting it done is far from nit-picking. He has tons of talent, but simply needs to step up his game more.

Sorry, but if this were just about any other RB we have had, you would be bashing him, as would everyone. My god. Imagine if Benson put up 2.4 ypc for 36 yards against Detroit. Shoot. Imagine if AP did.

While Forte's YPC may not be lightning in a bottle, the yards he is getting are needed.

He is getting firsts, extending drives,etc... It's not the number of yards as much, but when those yards are gained and what the result is.

I disagree. Converting a 3rd down is awesome, and I give him credit for that, but you can get a hard running FB if all you are expecting is to pickup a yard or two here and there. I think we are looking for much more from Forte, and I doubt you actually disagree w/ that.

Look, I am not just trying to bash the kid. I like him. I like much of what he brings to the table. At the same time, I think he needs to really step it up. I do not simply give him a pass due to stacked boxes or questionable OL. We have not given our RBs a pass for those issues in the past, so why now? Just because we like hiim?

He started out very strong, but while not taking away from that performance, I wonder if it looks a tad less as awful as Indy has been stopping the run. Then he looked good, not great, against Carolina. Okay, good so far, but the numbers really went down from there. He had 89 yard against TB, but that was more due to the number of carries (27) as he posted only a 3 ypc avg., and his long gain was only 11 yards. Still, not look bad. Then he faced a very good run defense, and was flat out stuffed (43 yards on 2.3 ypc). That was awful, but also against an elite defense. But then he got to face Detroit. The same Det who gave up more than 300 rushing yards to Atlanta, a team w/ a rookie QB and who you know Det stacked the box against. No stacked box against GB, but 123 rushing yards. And then Gore hits them for 130 yards on nearly 5 ypc avg.

Leading up to Det, fans were declaring Forte would have anywhere between 125 to 200 yards rushing. He gained 36 on a 2.4 ypc avg. Fans can come up w/ excuse after excuse, but why can we not simply say he didn't get it done, and needs to step up? By the way, while far from great, Kevin Jones had an equal number of yards, on 5 fewer carries.

Forte is a very good looking RB, and I like him, but at the same time, he needs to step up his game. His numbers have fallen every week since the start, and we need to see him take that role as our lead RB.

For a rookie, getting those yards is not only great, it's amazing. He is playing with an awareness some veterans never get...

I don't know about this. RB is a position you often see rookies do well, and this year is no exception.

Another thing nfo, his ypc may be down, but his pass catching yards are up. Benson got blasted cause he was not the pass catching all around back that we think forte is. Also, his pass blocking is superb, he really has added more time to kyle's throws with the blocks he's thrown. I believe they showed a block he put on Det's DE which gave kyle the time to hit hester for the td, so he isn't getting bashed nearly like benson did because he's contributing in every way that the bum benson did not. Forte is a good poised rookie and I should know he's on my fantasy team! (BTW he's netted me 80 pts already! what a pick-up in the second week from the undrafted pool!)

The offensive line still has a ways to go, but its great having a complete back like Forte. Jones is a rock solid backup and I was glad to see the Bears got Jones a lot more carries this past week. I expect to see him continue get more and more carries and that should help keep Forte fresh for the whole season (which hopefully includes a SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONSHIP).

Another thing nfo, his ypc may be down, but his pass catching yards are up. Benson got blasted cause he was not the pass catching all around back that we think forte is. Also, his pass blocking is superb, he really has added more time to kyle's throws with the blocks he's thrown. I believe they showed a block he put on Det's DE which gave kyle the time to hit hester for the td, so he isn't getting bashed nearly like benson did because he's contributing in every way that the bum benson did not. Forte is a good poised rookie and I should know he's on my fantasy team! (BTW he's netted me 80 pts already! what a pick-up in the second week from the undrafted pool!)

You should of had drafted him! But good to hear he is owned by a Bears Fan!