Besides the defense

Connorbear

Why is everyone so quick to throw the defense under the bus? They weren't great, but the blame is shared on this one.

Or, maybe you all think that 20 points against a mediocre defense is good? Not to mention the fact that without a last gasp, holy Sh#@ throw with a few seconds left, it was really 13. Through three quarters, and almost the entire fourth quarter, the Bears offense scored 13 points.

And it's all the defense's fault?

Keep in mind that if the Bears actually score on the goal-line sequence, the Bears pretty much win.

Why is everyone so quick to throw the defense under the bus? They weren't great, but the blame is shared on this one.

Or, maybe you all think that 20 points against a mediocre defense is good? Not to mention the fact that without a last gasp, holy Sh#@ throw with a few seconds left, it was really 13. Through three quarters, and almost the entire fourth quarter, the Bears offense scored 13 points.

Keep in mind that if the Bears actually score on the goal-line sequence, the Bears pretty much win.

It seems like everytime the offense scores, the defense lets the other team down to get 3 or 7.

Everytime the defense needs to get a big stop, they don't.

Then again, it's what it seems like.

Say what you want, but Mike Brown is slow and isn't the same. Tillman, whether it's his skill or that damned scheme we run, is always 5 yards off his guy. Whether it's a good QB, a solid one, or a great one, they are going to pick that apart, unless we get pressure on them, and we couldn't get any on a rookie today.

To me, this game was on the DL. 2 good veteran DEs (Brown, Ogunleye), a DROY candidate (Harrison), the "best" DT in football (Harris), a good DT (Idonije), and a really good looking DT (Dvoracek) couldn't get pressure for d**k on Ryan today. Dvoracek was consistently blowing up some plays forcing Ryan out, but LBs, CBs, and Ss couldn't do anything.

The defense couldn't get the vaunted Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons off the field to give the offense a shot. That was with repeated 3rd & longs.

It wasn't a great offensive performance, but this one lies on the defense IMO.

I think the answer is expectations.

Our offense has done better than expected this year, yet at the same time, I don't think we should expect too much from them.

Our defense on the other hand is supposed to be elite. While they made stops and prevented Atlanta from getting into the endzone most of the game, I think you would be hard pressed to say they played well.

Facing a rookie QB, they had ZERO sacks, and zero picks. The only turnover they created, they also gave back, actually improving Atlanta's situation. They allowed a rookie QB 300 yards and a TD. Even if you take away the final throw, they still gave up far more than I think would have been expected.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but I think the reason many are blaming the D over the O is simply due to expectations. The offense scored 20. If our D is truly elite, that should be more than enough, especially against a rookie QB. But our D allowed a rookie QB to look like a pro bowler.

Our offense has done better than expected this year, yet at the same time, I don't think we should expect too much from them.

Our defense on the other hand is supposed to be elite. While they made stops and prevented Atlanta from getting into the endzone most of the game, I think you would be hard pressed to say they played well.

Facing a rookie QB, they had ZERO sacks, and zero picks. The only turnover they created, they also gave back, actually improving Atlanta's situation. They allowed a rookie QB 300 yards and a TD. Even if you take away the final throw, they still gave up far more than I think would have been expected.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but I think the reason many are blaming the D over the O is simply due to expectations. The offense scored 20. If our D is truly elite, that should be more than enough, especially against a rookie QB. But our D allowed a rookie QB to look like a pro bowler.

I continue to be impressed with our ability to stop the running game of our opponents. We are actually 5th in the NFL in rushing defense. However, we are 27th in the league in Passing Defense. So we definitely have a problem that needs to be addressed. We are currently rated 12th in total defense, but we should be much higher if it were not for our pass defense.

On Offense we are actually rated 13th in the league. I do not think any of us felt we would be ranked that high at this point. I certainly did not.

Not to mention the amount of money spent on the defensive side of the ball....

I continue to be impressed with our ability to stop the running game of our opponents. We are actually 5th in the NFL in rushing defense. However, we are 27th in the league in Passing Defense. So we definitely have a problem that needs to be addressed. We are currently rated 12th in total defense, but we should be much higher if it were not for our pass defense.

On Offense we are actually rated 13th in the league. I do not think any of us felt we would be ranked that high at this point. I certainly did not.

The primary reason we lost yesterday was the defense's inability to get off the field yesterday on 3rd downs. Ryan must have converted 5+ 3rd down and 10.

We took away their best offensive weapon and forced Ryan to beat us which he did.

You have to be encouraged by the progress we have seen from our offense:

1 - Orton has really progressed. Looks like he could be our starter for years to come.

2 - Forte will be amazing if we can improve our o-line. He is our best RB since Anderson.

3 - Hester is looking better and better.

4 - Davis redeemed himself yesterday with that great TD catch.

5 - Lloyd looks like he could be our #2 going forward.

Peace :dabears

The blame is on the front 4. They generated very little pressure...thus giving Ryan even more time to pick apart an already depleted secondary.

There's lots of should've could've's...but to me, the lack of any pressure on the line was it. The huge percentage of 3rd and long's converted by Atlanta aren't the O's or ST's fault.

Granted, some better playcalling in the redzone would have helped drastically. Also, so would Harris not giving up on the play and tossing the fumble recovery away like a used napkin.

Good reply...I think you're quite right.