Kyle Orton - A look at the Stats

nfoligno

Heading into the season, I think even Orton supporters had fairly low expectations. Well, a look at the numbers is a bit surprising.

Orton has 198 passes, which ranks him 6th in the league. Far higher than I think most would have expected.

Orton has a completion % of 61.6%, which is not great, but very solid. Even better, IMHO, is that he has been over 60% in 4 of his 6 games, and a 5th was 59.4%.

He has 1,386 yards passing, which ranks him 8th in the league.

His YPA stands at an even 7, which is not bad at all, particularly for a "game manager" which you would expect to be under 7.

He has 8 TDs passes, which ties him for 8th in the league. And all 8 TDs are in the last 4 games.

He has 4 Ints, and an even 2.0 Int%. Among QBs w/ at least 8 TDs, he ranks 2nd in TD/Int ratio.

He has been dropped 12 times (avg 2 per game) which is not bad at all considering how poor our OL is.

His QB rating stands at 87.6, ranking him 15th (top 1/2) in the league. I also like that his rating is 80 or better in 4 of 6 games, once again showing consistency.

Overall, we rank (as a team) 11th in total offense, and 11th in scoring (24.7). As most of this has been on offense, as opposed to Hester and D, that is all the more impressive.

By comparison,

Rex through 6 games in 2006 (considered his best stint as a starting QB).

189 pass attempts (9 fewer).

1,387 passing yards (even w/ Kyle).

Completion % of 57.9, nearly 4 below Kyle. Further, Rex only had 2 out of 6 games over 60%.

Rex had 10 TDs (2 more than Orton) but also had 7 picks (3 more).

I think most believe Orton is doing well, but I was simply surprised at how well when looking at the numbers. When you consider how poor our OL is and how little he has by way of receiving options, it is all the more impressive. That Orton is among the top 1/2 of the NFL in terms of QBs, and even top 10 in numerous catagories is very surprising. That our team offense is ranked JUST outside the top 10 is even more shocking.

Lets just hope Orton can continue to develop and keep the offense on track.

Great stuff nfo! On a gut check, I thought he was doing well...but it's really interesting to see the stats all laid out.

I wonder where he'd be at had we continued with him after his rookie season? But, oh well! At least he's in there now doing what needs to be done.

Heading into the season, I think even Orton supporters had fairly low expectations. Well, a look at the numbers is a bit surprising.

Orton has 198 passes, which ranks him 6th in the league. Far higher than I think most would have expected.

Orton has a completion % of 61.6%, which is not great, but very solid. Even better, IMHO, is that he has been over 60% in 4 of his 6 games, and a 5th was 59.4%.

His YPA stands at an even 7, which is not bad at all, particularly for a "game manager" which you would expect to be under 7.

He has 8 TDs passes, which ties him for 8th in the league. And all 8 TDs are in the last 4 games.

He has 4 Ints, and an even 2.0 Int%. Among QBs w/ at least 8 TDs, he ranks 2nd in TD/Int ratio.

He has been dropped 12 times (avg 2 per game) which is not bad at all considering how poor our OL is.

His QB rating stands at 87.6, ranking him 15th (top 1/2) in the league. I also like that his rating is 80 or better in 4 of 6 games, once again showing consistency.

Overall, we rank (as a team) 11th in total offense, and 11th in scoring (24.7). As most of this has been on offense, as opposed to Hester and D, that is all the more impressive.

By comparison,

Completion % of 57.9, nearly 4 below Kyle. Further, Rex only had 2 out of 6 games over 60%.

I think most believe Orton is doing well, but I was simply surprised at how well when looking at the numbers. When you consider how poor our OL is and how little he has by way of receiving options, it is all the more impressive. That Orton is among the top 1/2 of the NFL in terms of QBs, and even top 10 in numerous catagories is very surprising. That our team offense is ranked JUST outside the top 10 is even more shocking.

By comparison,

Que Bears88 to say that Orton sucks and stats are misleading...Rex would be leading the league...

I just go back to his rookie year when everyone was frying him...I told you within 2-3 years he would be the starter and be a solid NFL QB. I just hope that his progression continues, because if he can continue to improve, he has the tools to be our QB for years to come.

What happened to your arch nemesis? 88 dropped off the face of the earth.

Did the Grossmans get evicted form Chicago or something? 88 had to have been a relative...

Talk about a plate of crow getting cold waiting for it's rigthful customer!

And to think the better QB is on the bench behind him, huh, guys?

Que Bears88 to say that Orton sucks and stats are misleading...Rex would be leading the league...

I just go back to his rookie year when everyone was frying him...I told you within 2-3 years he would be the starter and be a solid NFL QB. I just hope that his progression continues, because if he can continue to improve, he has the tools to be our QB for years to come.

I am extremely happy Kyle has played well and hope he will be our QB for the next 10 yrs. I felt the same way about Rex. As a Bears fan, I have beeb traumatized by the trememdous turnover at QB and would be happy to see anyone successfully take over the position for as long as possible.

Peace :dabears

What happened to your arch nemesis? 88 dropped off the face of the earth.

Did the Grossmans get evicted form Chicago or something? 88 had to have been a relative...

Talk about a plate of crow getting cold waiting for it's rigthful customer!

He got suspended because he consistently PMed me saying how much of a "f***ing retard" I am so I let an admin know.

Let's not drag this on. The guy is a moron, plain and simple.

I hear ya!

I have a good feeling Kyle will be with us for a long while...

I am extremely happy Kyle has played well and hope he will be our QB for the next 10 yrs. I felt the same way about Rex. As a Bears fan, I have beeb traumatized by the trememdous turnover at QB and would be happy to see anyone successfully take over the position for as long as possible.

I'm not so sure about the first 3 rounds. I think we could do without a QB in this draft especially since we haven't seen what Hanie can do in a regular season game yet.

Sorry, but no way am I putting my faith in hanie. I will wait and see Orton for the entire year before I decide how high of a need QB is. I am still inclined to think top 3, but if Orton continues to develop throughout the entire season, then I could drop QB on my list a bit, but not all the way off it.

I don't have any real problem w/ Hanie, but I am not putting any faith in an undrafted QB. That isn't to say I wouldn't love to see him develop, but doing some nice things against guys now flipping burgers does not warrant passing on a QB if that is still viewed as a need.

Sorry, but no way am I putting my faith in hanie. I will wait and see Orton for the entire year before I decide how high of a need QB is. I am still inclined to think top 3, but if Orton continues to develop throughout the entire season, then I could drop QB on my list a bit, but not all the way off it.

I don't have any real problem w/ Hanie, but I am not putting any faith in an undrafted QB. That isn't to say I wouldn't love to see him develop, but doing some nice things against guys now flipping burgers does not warrant passing on a QB if that is still viewed as a need.

By no means did I say I trust Caleb if Orton goes down with an injury next year.

I do, however, believe the organization would rather give him a chance then watch him rot away on the pine his whole career not knowing what he can do on the field when given a real chance.

By no means did I say I trust Caleb if Orton goes down with an injury next year.

I do, however, believe the organization would rather give him a chance then watch him rot away on the pine his whole career not knowing what he can do on the field when given a real chance.

I would like to see them bring in a vet and keep Hanie around. That way you aren't banking on Hanie but trying to develop him, while having a back up like the cowboys do now for when Romo just went down.

Good stats on Orton. I agree he's been impressive beyond my expectations at this point; especially considering the Oline and the WR corps which were both considered poor at the start of the season.

What I like best so far is that with each game he seems to become more comfortable in the offense. Early in the season he seemed to be forcing things to much and that led to some bad passes (not necessarily bad reads). In the last couple games he's made a some passes I didn't think he was capable of making, 15-20yd passes with some arc on the ball so it could drop in between defenders, and of course some better touch on the deep balls. Each game I feel more comfortable that we might have found our QB of the future.

As for those who say they wished Kyle had been the starter all along I don't believe he earned it. When I hear reports of all his extra film study and additional time on the practice field I'm impressed. However, I have never heard any indication that he was willing to work like this early in his career. In fact, during his second season when Rex was named the starter he went into a shell and didn't work hard (he admitted this). Entering his third season he worked on his fundamentals and gave it a better shot but still couldn't unseat Rex or Griese but you get the feeling he wasn't too far behind. This year he knew he had his chance to be a starter, he worked to earn it and he won the job.

I give him credit for not giving up but I also won't assume he'd be the same QB today if he didn't have to earn it. He's a professional now.

Um, you mean the way the team didn't want Orton to rot on the roster? The only reason Orton ever got a chance we due to Rex, and then Griese, failing. If not for that, he would have rotted on the pine, and he was a 4th round pick, as compared to an undrafted rookie FA.

Honestly, I think fans are higher on Hanie than the staff or team in general.

Honestly, I think fans are higher on Hanie than the staff or team in general.

Agreed. Still, they kept him so they must feel he is a worthwhile development prospect. Bring in a vet to back up Kyle next yr (if Kyle continues to play like this) and leave Hanie as the #3. We need our draft picks to address the other issues we have (safety, o-line, etc).

Agreed. Still, they kept him so they must feel he is a worthwhile development prospect. Bring in a vet to back up Kyle next yr (if Kyle continues to play like this) and leave Hanie as the #3. We need our draft picks to address the other issues we have (safety, o-line, etc).

Yep and many teams offered Hanie a shot , not to mention Kiper going bonkers over hanie. He thought so much of him he said he would be starting for the bears in 3 years. But as for our other needs...... If we dont select offensive lineman with the first 3 picks I will loose it. Center, Guards and tackles. In no particular order. Then safety or CB. Then a good draft will be had. IMHO

Get ready to loose it. I would say the odds of our drafting 3 OL in the first three rounds rates about slim to none. That simply is not Angelo's style. I think you are better off simply hoping for two, but even there, I think the odds are not great.

Yep and many teams offered Hanie a shot , not to mention Kiper going bonkers over hanie. He thought so much of him he said he would be starting for the bears in 3 years. But as for our other needs...... If we dont select offensive lineman with the first 3 picks I will loose it. Center, Guards and tackles. In no particular order. Then safety or CB. Then a good draft will be had. IMHO

Agreed.

I see some kind of secondary pick fairly high...

Get ready to loose it. I would say the odds of our drafting 3 OL in the first three rounds rates about slim to none. That simply is not Angelo's style. I think you are better off simply hoping for two, but even there, I think the odds are not great.