Hester in Wildcat?

daa84

I've seen this now in 2 separate ESPN chats that the bears are working on a Wildcat formation this week, and that Hester could be involved. Id be happier to see the Wildcat run with Forte and Jones, rather than Forte and Hester, simply because the wildcat doesnt really get hester into too much space where he can be effective

Honesty, it can't hurt to try...

I'm more than curious...

I've seen this now in 2 separate ESPN chats that the bears are working on a Wildcat formation this week, and that Hester could be involved. Id be happier to see the Wildcat run with Forte and Jones, rather than Forte and Hester, simply because the wildcat doesnt really get hester into too much space where he can be effective

Honesty, it can't hurt to try...

I'm more than curious...

daa84, did they say it was the wildcat formation, or just a direct snap play? There's a lot of difference between the two.

Mad, it can hurt. The hype of the wildcat is fading as defenses find ways to counter it. First off, Chicago's "trick plays" are notoriously bad - usually resulting in a loss. Second, the 'phins went to the wildcat to take advantage of Jake Long's great run blocking. The Bears don't have anybody who's a good run blocker, so that advantage is taken away. Third, Hester can't stay healthy this year, so I don't think they want him taking big hits from 300# linemen, LBs and safeties by running in the middle. Since they won't run him between the tackles, he's got to go wide left or wide right.

Teams don't worry about Hester running the ball, no matter WHERE he's lined up. He has a total of 8 carries for a horrid 5 yards - five carries around left end, three around right end, and zero tries up the gut. So, Ds know all they have to do is take the away the edges from Devin, and he's totally harmless.

Call me crazy... But as I see more and more confidence from the O, I wouldn't mind seeing some more wrinkles from the O. Maybe ot according to Hoyle Wildcat...but some kind of element of that somehow...We have too many speedsters from Hester to Wolfe to Jones not to try something...

daa84, did they say it was the wildcat formation, or just a direct snap play? There's a lot of difference between the two.

Mad, it can hurt. The hype of the wildcat is fading as defenses find ways to counter it. First off, Chicago's "trick plays" are notoriously bad - usually resulting in a loss. Second, the 'phins went to the wildcat to take advantage of Jake Long's great run blocking. The Bears don't have anybody who's a good run blocker, so that advantage is taken away. Third, Hester can't stay healthy this year, so I don't think they want him taking big hits from 300# linemen, LBs and safeties by running in the middle. Since they won't run him between the tackles, he's got to go wide left or wide right.

Teams don't worry about Hester running the ball, no matter WHERE he's lined up. He has a total of 8 carries for a horrid 5 yards - five carries around left end, three around right end, and zero tries up the gut. So, Ds know all they have to do is take the away the edges from Devin, and he's totally harmless.

Honestly, that's a move that makes perfect sense. Drop the QB and put in an extra blocker, Give Hester the ball, and point towards the end zone.

Wildcat doesn't pull the QB for an extra blocker, nor will anything Turner might do, IMO.

Again, Devin hasn't done squat running the ball. If the Bears want to get humiliated with another failed trick play - the direct snap, or a variance of the wildcat - at least make our REAL play maker the focus. Snap it to Forte with Jones, Wolfe, or AP the 2nd option. That will have a lot better chance. Even then, I predict it's going to be a disaster....

Chicago's offense is doing fine with basic football, so why screw with it???

Again, Devin hasn't done squat running the ball. If the Bears want to get humiliated with another failed trick play - the direct snap, or a variance of the wildcat - at least make our REAL play maker the focus. Snap it to Forte with Jones, Wolfe, or AP the 2nd option. That will have a lot better chance. Even then, I predict it's going to be a disaster....

Most Hesters runs were wide reciever sreens that nobody did anything with and reverses early in the season. He never was in the backfield on any attempt. So saying he done nothing is like saying a Preist is great at sex. If he never done it before how can you claim he is stud? I would love to see it with hester running a wildcat formation and then running wide to pass. that would be something to give fantasy owners to whoot about. IMO I think the wildcat formation being used will make Defenses put 8 or 9 in the box with Hester back there, Then have them throw it.

I think Hester would most likely be the under option in the Wildcat formation and not the QB. Let Forte be the one to read the Linebackers and let the linebackers worry about trying to contain Hester. In either position I think Hester will be more of the distraction rather than the primary option.

it wasn't an espn message board, but rather a chat with matt williamson and then another one with matthew berry, but it didn't say any specifics about the formation, just that it was rumored that the bears may be working on adding "the wildcat with hester" into the offense this week

Agreed! Why run it at all.

One. For the first time in God only knows how long, our offense is looking pretty damn solid. Why mess w/ trick plays and trick schemes?

Two. In the Wildcat, your QB becomes a very live target. Miami sort of took teams by surprise w/ this, but I think you will find more and more defensive players who are told, if they run the wildcat, your job is to take the QB out. When you run the wildcat, all QB protection rules fall by wayside. Why the hell would we put Orton in jeapordy?

Wildcat doesn't pull the QB for an extra blocker, nor will anything Turner might do, IMO.

Chicago's offense is doing fine with basic football, so why screw with it???

I think it's just a wrinkle, relax guys.

And I don't get how you guys can say Devin isn't a good guy to do this with because everytime he catches a screen he goes nowhere. Against Minnesota, he caught a screen for about 15 or so yards. Maybe there's a stat I don't know about?

If we try it, I hope we do a little bit of it this week and if we're up 2 or so TD's.

This entire rumor mill is likely based off the article a couple weeks ago where Turner stated the Bears already had a Wildcat play for Hester in the playbook but that they hadn't called it. Turner said that now with so many others doing it that the surprise element is gone.

Aside from that I agree, the offense ain't broke so let's not try to fix it with some trick plays.

I think there was a tad more to it, as either that article, or another, talked about Orton telling the coaches he flat out did not like the idea. About how he didn't like the idea of becoming an easy target, to which Turner told Orton to simply run out of bounds on such a play. Point is, it was talked about in current terms and not just preseason/playbook general ideas.

This entire rumor mill is likely based off the article a couple weeks ago where Turner stated the Bears already had a Wildcat play for Hester in the playbook but that they hadn't called it. Turner said that now with so many others doing it that the surprise element is gone.

Aside from that I agree, the offense ain't broke so let's not try to fix it with some trick plays.

I think there was a tad more to it, as either that article, or another, talked about Orton telling the coaches he flat out did not like the idea. About how he didn't like the idea of becoming an easy target, to which Turner told Orton to simply run out of bounds on such a play. Point is, it was talked about in current terms and not just preseason/playbook general ideas.

exactly...IMO if they are dumb enough to just try to jack orton, he can just run out of bounds, or straight backwards for all i care....its essentially a pancake block taking the defender completely out of hte play

• 3 weeks later...