Mike Brown now on IR

Pixote

Andre Johnson is going to eat us alive Sunday. Hopefully, it doesn't cost us the game.

Tillman & Graham need to be sharp and we need pressure on the QB. Mike Brown has never been a top cover Safety. His strength has been against the run. We have replacements who can stop the run.

I use to think his leadership on the field was vital. After last week when it appears none of our Team Captains & Veterans stepped up in the first half and kicked some ass, I am not so sure he will be missed in that area either.

I do not think M Brown's absence from the line-up changes the Texan's game plan at all.

At least we won't have to see Payne at FS anymore... man, that was brutal to watch him trying to cover people. The only problem now is that we have to watch Steltz pull his AA impersonations.

Payne is not a FS, so hopefully he will be at SS and let steltz take over at FS. Steltz is better in pass coverage anyway, and for being a rookie I think he is doing all that can be expected of him. He will be our FS of the future he has that ball hawk type of play. I just hope they keep manning at Nickel because he is showing some promise there and has the speed for babich to mix it up with some nickel blitzes now.

Maybe letting Brown go has a silver lining. I don't expect the team to re-sign him, so I tried thinking of how it could be of some benefit.

1. Payne moves to a better suited spot

2. W/O Brown masking our ineptitude and being the sole player with any guts and emotion it seems, maybe the house of cards comes crashing down faster. THis team is in sore need of a true leader w no Mike Brown. So someone will either have to step up, or we comes crashing down and find someone in the draft.

The official site for the Bears has an article stating Mike Brown is now on the IR.

Mike Brown Goes to IR, Worrell Takes His Roster Spot

I believe it is his longest run since his last full season which seems like ages ago. I want to think that was 2004 but I could be wrong.

Thing is no one here is at all surprised other than he's lasted this long. point being he can't be depended on. As much as I like him I want to see someone else as the starter next year. I do not want to see him as a starter next season. If his career is over I think he would make a good secondary coach provided Babich and his boys are gone. He's got a great mind for the game his body no longer seems able which is a shame but that's the reality of it.

I believe it is his longest run since his last full season which seems like ages ago. I want to think that was 2004 but I could be wrong.

Thing is no one here is at all surprised other than he's lasted this long. point being he can't be depended on. As much as I like him I want to see someone else as the starter next year. I do not want to see him as a starter next season. If his career is over I think he would make a good secondary coach provided Babich and his boys are gone. He's got a great mind for the game his body no longer seems able which is a shame but that's the reality of it.

2004 was the Year his injuries started. Remember the packer game? He had a great game with a pick 6, I think, but got injured in the 2nd half.

From 2000 to 2003, Brown played in every single game.

I'd love to see Mike Brown back but not as a starter. He'd be excellent depth for us at Safety and his knowledge of the game and leadership can still be utilized on the sidelines and in practice. If he has to fill in for a few games he should be able to handle that.

I'd love to see Mike Brown back but not as a starter. He'd be excellent depth for us at Safety and his knowledge of the game and leadership can still be utilized on the sidelines and in practice. If he has to fill in for a few games he should be able to handle that.

Player-Coach would be great. But I have a hard time seeing Browny liking the idea of having limited participation.

Player-Coach would be great. But I have a hard time seeing Browny liking the idea of having limited participation.

I have had an idea I've been floating around, but have no idea if it would work or not. First, I've been on the bandwagon to platoon Brown for the last couple of years thinking the lack of reps and rest would potentially keep him healthy. That being said, I do like the player coach idea and wonder if the following scenario might work.

It begins with Manning. I have loved his aggressive play as of late and there is no denying he is a physically gifted player. He simply lacks it upstairs. Here's where Brown comes into play. If he knows he's not the starter and also being paid to coach, what would prevent him from being in Mannings hip pocket in training camp and OTA's. I mean right with him, constantly in his ear, shoving him into position and letting him know what he sees in real time. I know with some players the light never comes on, but IMO we've been waiting on the physical nature of Manning to arrive and it has. What's to say, with a little creative coaching the light won't be as bright as we need it to be?? Just a thought...

I would agree with you, that's partly what I was thinking when I posted. Having him transition to a player/coach and have him work with our other safeties. I'd include Payne and Steltz along with Manning. Manning has shown a lot of improvement lately and I think Payne has good potential too. Steltz I'm not sure on yet. But if you could have Brown instill the football knowledge he has and work with them till their lights go on it could pay huge dividends. I know Mike has a passion for the game and would take some convincing to take a less active role on the field but if he could help the team by helping improve the instincts of his teammates it would be a way of contributing to the team. I think Mike is a team player and would be willing to do what he can to help the team. He could start doing that right now. Being on IR for at least one more game this year. He's signed through 2010 I believe, so it would be a good opportunity for the Bears to utilize his knowledge by training his replacements.

I would love to see Brown stay and be a player/coach. Can you imagine how Chicago would react to Mike Singletary returning to coach the Bears? We need to keep the Bears players/coaches who epitomise the Bears ethos and work ethic at all costs, and MB is one of those guys!

Does Jerry Angelo get that? I don't think he does.

I'm fine with Brown coming back in a backup role or as a coach, but his skills are diminishing and he can't stay healthy for an entire year. Taylor Mays or the other guy from USC, the MLB, I think its Ray Maluga? Any of those two guys are your perfect Bears type of players and would be thrilled to have either of them.