Marinelli (and Mangini) fired

Ed Hochuli 3:16

The Detroit Lions' pursuit of at least one victory in 2009 will have to come without Rod Marinelli, who was fired as coach Monday after a historic 0-16 season.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Eric Mangini is out as head coach of the New York Jets a day after the team lost for the fourth time in five games and failed to make the playoffs.

both from espn.com

GO GET MARINELLI, ANGELO!

Why do you want Marinelli?

One. He is a Lovie guy. Thus, we are likely only going to get more of the same.

Two. He has never been a defensive coordinator. He went from position coach to head coach. Many here question Babich's ability to call games. Well, why do you believe Marinelli is any more capable of calling a game.

Three. While I understand some guys can fail as a HC, but be solid or even great DC/OCs. Yet, I would expect at least the area of expertise of that HC to look good. Detroits defense flat out stunk. If their offense stunk, but defense was solid, I could understand better wanting him as our DC, but their D stunk. You can talk talent all you want, but my point is still, what has he done to make you think he is any good as a DC?

Marinelli is likely who Lovie would love to get, but I think it would be a huge mistake if that is who we got. We looked best on defense when we have Rivera. While I have no expectations of him coming back, I do feel we need to get a DC who is not going to simply run Lovie's scheme. We need someone w/ knowledge that goes beyond just the cover two.

both from espn.com

GO GET MARINELLI, ANGELO!

Have you seen the way he acts after the game. I love his demeanor at the way he handles himself. Totally opposite of a Lovie guy.

Two. He has never been a defensive coordinator. He went from position coach to head coach. Many here question Babich's ability to call games. Well, why do you believe Marinelli is any more capable of calling a game.

I understand. I guess it's taking a gamble.

Three. While I understand some guys can fail as a HC, but be solid or even great DC/OCs. Yet, I would expect at least the area of expertise of that HC to look good. Detroits defense flat out stunk. If their offense stunk, but defense was solid, I could understand better wanting him as our DC, but their D stunk. You can talk talent all you want, but my point is still, what has he done to make you think he is any good as a DC?

My point being is that I like his energy. I like the way he handles himself. I like his schemes and stunts. His best game might have been when they played here in Chicago with all the mix-ups he used, and being there live, I thought to myself that he has to come here next year.

Marinelli is likely who Lovie would love to get, but I think it would be a huge mistake if that is who we got. We looked best on defense when we have Rivera. While I have no expectations of him coming back, I do feel we need to get a DC who is not going to simply run Lovie's scheme. We need someone w/ knowledge that goes beyond just the cover two.

Hey, I respect him too. He seems like a good guy. That doesn't mean I want him.

You say you wanted to get him after his scheme against us. Well, all I have to say is, we make a lot of coaches look good.

I don't watch a lot of Det games. What I know is, they suck on defense, and have for some time. Marinelli is supposed to be a defensive coach, so to me, this is inexcusable. If Det's offense stunk, but defense was good, I could see adding Marinelli, but I simply have seen nothing to make me think he would do anything for us.

He's a good guy. Great. That doesn't mean he should be our coach or DC through.

I would absolutely take him in that role, and might even throw in one of those meaningless "assistant head coach" titles for him to save some face. Our DL coach is another I think has to go. He joined the team after Rivera left, and in his two years, our pass rush has gone to shit.

If Marinelli were to come to the Bears, I would ONLY want him as a defensive line coach. Thats it, that is where he has excelled in his career. He was over his head as a head coach, I wouldnt want him to be a coordinator either

I think it is simply based on a desire to get rid of Babich and the knowledge that Lovie will want someone who is a known commodity. Realistically, if Angelo tells Lovie he has to make a change you know Lovie is going to say he wants Marinelli (who was his original choice before Rivera).

Peace :dabears

Not sure I want Crennel either. He looked great in NE, bombed since. Okay, he bombed for a crap organization as the HC, but...

Like w/ Marinelli, I have to question why his defense stunk. That is his specialty, and yet that side of the field stunk. Also, the animals were running the show in the zoo of Cle, and most pointed to Crennel as the main reason.

Like Weis, Crennel looked great under Billichek, but like Weis, he failed after leaving.

Although I would welcome a shot at Romeo Crennel running the D with Marinelli coaching the line.

I think it is simply based on a desire to get rid of Babich and the knowledge that Lovie will want someone who is a known commodity. Realistically, if Angelo tells Lovie he has to make a change you know Lovie is going to say he wants Marinelli (who was his original choice before Rivera).

Peace :dabears

I agree, and I bet that Lovie has been on the phone with Marinelli already.Babich is an easy scapegoat. Let's see if Lovie throws him under the bus. It just seems to me, though, that the league has figured out the Cover 2/Tampa 2/ Lovie 2 scheme. And Lovie is not one to alter his approach one iota. So we are stuck with Lovie and the scheme.

I was listening to the score on the way to pick up some meds and they were saying they would not be surprised to see Eric Mangini signed by the Bears. Now, they did not elaborate, just that it would not surprise them if Lovie went after him. It was not said but I assume as a possible DC.

I am like most, Lovie wanted to sign Marinelli as DC when he first came to the Bears and now that he is available I would not be surprised if he came to the Bears. Yes, Detroit sucked, but it was pretty hard for him to build a decent defense in Detroit with a GM that only wanted to draft WRs, LOL.

I am like most, Lovie wanted to sign Marinelli as DC when he first came to the Bears and now that he is available I would not be surprised if he came to the Bears. Yes, Detroit sucked, but it was pretty hard for him to build a decent defense in Detroit with a GM that only wanted to draft WRs, LOL.

Would rather have Marinelli then mangini anyday. Didnt Mangini run the 3-4? No thanks man.

Anyone else think Mangini's firing wasn't entirely justified? They made quite an improvement from last year's horrid squad.

Apparently Mangini went to management before the season and said "If you give me Favre, I will give you the playoffs and possibly a superbowl"

Then he missed the playoffs while losing to the QB that he ran off to Miami.

Not a good gaurantee and result according to management

Reports were that Mangini likes to call out players in front of the team for poor performance, even showing film clips of bad plays they made to everyone. Because of that I suspect there's a bit more to him getting fired than just missing the playoffs. I have no problem with accountability but some people take the negative feedback too far and put players in a position where they are playing not to make a mistake. Everyone starts playing to cover their own ass and you start to lose some of the team concept. I wonder if that's part of what's happened in the locker room.

Anyway, my main point is that this coaching style does not fit in with Lovie's "everything's ok" philosophy so I don't expect Mangini to talk to anyone in the Bears organization. On the other hand you look at the way Marinelli has handled all the issues in Detroit and I can see Lovie getting some pompoms ready for him.

To all the people saying no about Marinelli, I'd much rather have him then Babich.

However, I think we might see some scheme changes in the offseason, especially with the front 7. I'm not saying we're gonna switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4, but I think we will change up what type of roles the players will play in the system.

Marinelli=Babich. I say no. I'm tired of Lovie guys that only want to blitz on running downs, then drop back into a soft cover 2 on passing downs. The QB sees no pressure, then calmly finds the WR who exposes the soft spot in the zone.

Then we hear the stat that we blitz more than anyone else. Hey, I'd bet that if anyone dared to run the numbers, they'd see that we blitz less than anyone on 3rd down. We always act like we're going to send the LBs, but never do. This is fooling no one. The QB knows they aren't going to blitz.

Trust Lovie again? No thanks. In fact, I say he should hire another Chico type that will challenge him enough to make us a good defense again.