Why not copy Tennessee?

bradjock

I remember after last year's draft all the "experts" were blasting Tennessee for drafting RB Chris Johnson when they so badly needed a WR. All Johnson did was help them establish the #2 running-game in the NFL, next to the Giants, and help establish them as arguably the #1 team in the NFL.

This is a copy-cat league, and we're not that far off from doing what they did on offense. Which is:

#1--Establish a dominate running game. This means we'll need to add another explosive running back and beef up on our offensive line. A lot would hinge on how good Chris Williams can be.

#2--Utilize the TE's: Tennessee's top WR was Bo Scaife, and they used Algae Crumpler a ton also. I expect a huge improvement from Kellen Davis this year, and I don't even need to mention Olsen & Clark.

#3--Short passing game: Justin Gage is actually good in this system as a possession receiver with Tennessee. Hester's proven to be a more explosive over the middle receiver then a deep down-field threat where he likes to play "hot-potato" with the football. Orton's passing skills are best suited to the short passing game.

This seems pretty damn simple to me really, and not that hard for the Bears to do, given what we already have. Granted our success wold depend on the defenses ability to not suck, but our success hinges on that anyway.

Yes, TN has a darn fine running game. But that is also keyed by 2 areas where the Bears are no where near as strong; the O line and the D-Line. In particular, you want to make the running game as strong as theirs, you need a strong O-line. The Bears' is improving, but still has work to do. And the greatest running game in the world will struggle to win games if your defense can't get off the field without giving up 7.

They were able to play like that because of how dominant their defense was. They got off the field fast so the offense could eat clock and pound the rock into the endzone. And you know how they do it? It starts with the defensive line, something we don't have. We get no pressure on the quarterback which effects the DB's in the passing game and it doesn't help that we don't have a legit cover guy either. Graham and Tillman are both tacklers.

I remember after last year's draft all the "experts" were blasting Tennessee for drafting RB Chris Johnson when they so badly needed a WR. All Johnson did was help them establish the #2 running-game in the NFL, next to the Giants, and help establish them as arguably the #1 team in the NFL.

This is a copy-cat league, and we're not that far off from doing what they did on offense. Which is:

#1--Establish a dominate running game. This means we'll need to add another explosive running back and beef up on our offensive line. A lot would hinge on how good Chris Williams can be.

#2--Utilize the TE's: Tennessee's top WR was Bo Scaife, and they used Algae Crumpler a ton also. I expect a huge improvement from Kellen Davis this year, and I don't even need to mention Olsen & Clark.

#3--Short passing game: Justin Gage is actually good in this system as a possession receiver with Tennessee. Hester's proven to be a more explosive over the middle receiver then a deep down-field threat where he likes to play "hot-potato" with the football. Orton's passing skills are best suited to the short passing game.

This seems pretty damn simple to me really, and not that hard for the Bears to do, given what we already have. Granted our success wold depend on the defenses ability to not suck, but our success hinges on that anyway.

good post and i agree with what you are saying. A great running game would open up the passing game. Use the damn TE 70% of the time when passing. Sign another RB that can play and then draft OLine.

It's very possible that the RB in question is ALREADY ON THE ROSTER!!! All we need is for Turner to get his head out of his ass and use the guy. If that's not a change-of-pace RB, then nobody is.

Alas, the plan falls through because of the OL. Draft OL, sign FA OL, make the OL better, and all of the sudden people would be talking about how they were going to copy the Bears offense. THAT'S simplicity at its finest.

It's very possible that the RB in question is ALREADY ON THE ROSTER!!! All we need is for Turner to get his head out of his ass and use the guy. If that's not a change-of-pace RB, then nobody is.

Alas, the plan falls through because of the OL. Draft OL, sign FA OL, make the OL better, and all of the sudden people would be talking about how they were going to copy the Bears offense. THAT'S simplicity at its finest.

Nuf said...

Puh-lease... Garret Wolfe shouldn't be considered anything more then a special teamer. What a terrible draft pick he was, along with Okwo and Bazuin.

How do you know? Oh, that's right, you don't. The coaches have proven to be semi-incompetent, and a horrible judge of offensive talent. Wolfe has received a pathetic amount of attempts at RB, and there is nowhere near a large enough sample size to really know what he's all about.

Hell, for his size he shouldn't be a special teamer...but he sure has excelled when given that chance. I wonder what he could do with a few carries.

Everything starts in the trenches.

We need OL and DL help.

That should pretty much be the mantra for the off -season: "Everything starts in the trenches.

We need OL and DL help."

Repeat: "Everything starts in the trenches.

We need OL and DL help."

How do you know? Oh, that's right, you don't. The coaches have proven to be semi-incompetent, and a horrible judge of offensive talent. Wolfe has received a pathetic amount of attempts at RB, and there is nowhere near a large enough sample size to really know what he's all about.

Hell, for his size he shouldn't be a special teamer...but he sure has excelled when given that chance. I wonder what he could do with a few carries.

Honestly, why do you think Wolfe would be good? Because he tore up teams in the freaking MAC? He's a decent player, but I wouldn't, and obviously the Bears coaching staff, wouldn't trust him with more then a couple snaps a game.

We don't need to copy anyone....what we need was to get rid of the stupid scheme of our LB to close to the line and our DB turn and bail cover scheme

We don't need to copy anyone....what we need was to get rid of the stupid scheme of our LB to close to the line and our DB turn and bail cover scheme

Ah men to that! Url is being eaten alive because the DL is not geting the job done and our DBs acts like they want to leave the stadium when the ball is snapped.

Ah men to that! Url is being eaten alive because the DL is not geting the job done and our DBs acts like they want to leave the stadium when the ball is snapped.

I keep hearing about how bad our d-line is, but I swear there were times the other team could have played without an offensive line. We could have rushed 4 guys unblocked and the QB would have taken 3 steps back and thrown it to a wide open receiver before we got close to touching him.

IMO it's tough to tell how bad our d-line is when our secondary was ridiculous.

Either way Babbich must go. Although replacing him with the guy who's team had the 32nd defense in the league doesn't inspire much confidence.

I agree. I look at Darren Sproles and Leon Washington and think Wolfe could do the same thing. I would love to see Turner give him that chance next yr. 5 to 10 touches a game - period.

Peace :dabears

I agree. I look at Darren Sproles and Leon Washington and think Wolfe could do the same thing. I would love to see Turner give him that chance next yr. 5 to 10 touches a game - period.

Peace :dabears

Okay, a comparison to Darren Sproles is one thing, but seriously, did you just compare Wolfe to Leon Washington? There's a big difference between the two, most notably Wolfe being an inch shorter and 20 pounds less.

Okay, a comparison to Darren Sproles is one thing, but seriously, did you just compare Wolfe to Leon Washington? There's a big difference between the two, most notably Wolfe being an inch shorter and 20 pounds less.

I'm talking about using him in the same fashion.

Peace

Wolfe may or may not be the guy some of you think he can be. But he CANNOT be counted on to be that guy. you absolutely have to have someone else not named Adrian Peterson. I'm tired of waiting for someone to do something. start bringing in talent and let the best man win. quit sitting on your ass hoping someone will turn out.

A WHOLE INCH!? That's far too much to overcome. Yeah, there's no way the guys can be used similarly! Forget that noise. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why be such a hater? Besides, being an inch shorter is almost a benefit for a running back (i.e. low center of gravity, low to the ground). Check him out...

And just so you know he can do it against the big boys, and not just his smaller conference:

A WHOLE INCH!? That's far too much to overcome. Yeah, there's no way the guys can be used similarly! Forget that noise. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why be such a hater? Besides, being an inch shorter is almost a benefit for a running back (i.e. low center of gravity, low to the ground). Check him out...

And just so you know he can do it against the big boys, and not just his smaller conference:

Hester,Wolfe and Forte in the wildcat!!! Yes Yes , Yes~~~ Works for me

Crumpler had 24 catches for roughly 250 and 1 td. They didnt use him at all.