Vasher done with Bears

ostrogoth

Nathan Vasher is "all but out of the mix" at cornerback for the Bears, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The Tribune points out that Vasher's tackling skills have declined. He also isn't ideally built to play cornerback in the Bears' scheme at only 5'10/180. The Bears are expected to consider a corner with the No. 18 overall pick.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-the-draft.html

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad... He started off so well. I'd like to keep him at as a nickel back. But he'd have to re-structure his deal. On the other hand, nor do I see us unloading him without seriously addressing the issue.

Nathan Vasher is "all but out of the mix" at cornerback for the Bears, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The Tribune points out that Vasher's tackling skills have declined. He also isn't ideally built to play cornerback in the Bears' scheme at only 5'10/180. The Bears are expected to consider a corner with the No. 18 overall pick.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....-the-draft.html

I don't get it. This will actually cost the Bears cap space. At least based upon what everyone has mentioned regarding his contract.

I would like to see us go after Victor Harris, CB from VT. He is big for a corner and they say he will work best in the Tampa 2. His main weakness is speed.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009CB.php

I would like to see us go after Victor Harris, CB from VT. He is big for a corner and they say he will work best in the Tampa 2. His main weakness is speed.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009CB.php

Or even Alphonso Smith from Wake Forest. He is undersized at 5'8" but had 13 passes broken up and 6 picks this past year. Could be a great pick. This picks I am thinking of in the 2nd to 3rd round if they slip. Not with the 18th pick overall.

I think we lose about 4.7 million if we cut Vasher this year. A big chunk to eat, but we are pretty set financially, and this would send a message to the team, IMO.

That's a HUGE chunk to eat. For what? Does cutting Vasher really make us better?

Vash was hurt all season last year. When he's healthy, he's one of our best playmakers.

The Tribune points out that Vasher's tackling skills have declined. He also isn't ideally built to play cornerback in the Bears' scheme at only 5'10/180. The

NONE of this makes sense IMO.

1. How the hell do your tackling skills decline? With the exception of injuries, that SHOULD be correctable. Isn't this why we fired our seconary coach?

2. Vasher was never great at tackling or in coverage. He was great at having a nose for the ball. He was 5'10" 180 when we gave him the extension.

3. With all our needs, why the hell would we even consider a CB #1??? JA drafted Tillman in round two, Vasher in round 4, Graham in round 5, Zac Bowman in round 5, and McBride in round 7. Granted, there are huge questions about the last 3, but all of them show potential. Compared to other positions, even without Vasher, we're not bad a CB. No way in hell we go corner in round one.

4. Has JA EVER eaten much money to dump a player? Sure Cedric cost us 1.9 million or something like that this season, but that's after he sucked, was injured, AND embarrassed the franchise. So far Vasher has only sucked & been hurt.

5. What happened to shut-down corners not being that important in the cover two?

Someone threw out that Vasher would cost us 4.7 million if we dumped him. I have no idea if that's correct, but if it is, there's no way we do it. Hell, we kept Terrence Metcalf around this season just because it would cost us a million to dump him.

If we saved a ton of dough, I could see it. If he's been an ass-hat and we're giving up on him, I could see it. But right now, it makes no sense. Considering we're still desperate for a FS, or if DM is actually going to play there, we're desperate for a nickel. There's no way we plan to replace him now. Lets hope he earns his way back.

Isn't this Asomugha love WAY over-hyped??? The guy has had two interceptions in two years. Yes he might be the greatest corner the NFL has ever seen, or he's a good corner on a really, really bad team. In five years he's had 10 interceptions and 8 of them were in 2006. Are you kidding me?

The thought is the teams are scared to throw at him. I don't buy this. I think a lot of Offensive coordinators are cocky & over-confident. For instance, against the Bears, every team knew their TE's were likely to go for 200 yards. Yet certain teams, like New Orleans & St. Louis ignored this tactic. They were thumped in the process.

Great players find a way to make plays. My guess is that if Asomugha were to come here, we'd be extremely dissappointed.

Isn't this Asomugha love WAY over-hyped??? The guy has had two interceptions in two years. Yes he might be the greatest corner the NFL has ever seen, or he's a good corner on a really, really bad team. In five years he's had 10 interceptions and 8 of them were in 2006. Are you kidding me?

The thought is the teams are scared to throw at him. I don't buy this. I think a lot of Offensive coordinators are cocky & over-confident. For instance, against the Bears, every team knew their TE's were likely to go for 200 yards. Yet certain teams, like New Orleans & St. Louis ignored this tactic. They were thumped in the process.

Great players find a way to make plays. My guess is that if Asomugha were to come here, we'd be extremely dissappointed.

No, you're wrong. If you've ever watched a Raiders game (it's not pretty so don't), he gets thrown to, at the most, 3 times a game.

He held Andre Johnson to 2 catches for 19 yards and Steve Smith to 1 catch for 9 yards. I think that says it all.

Asomugha is the best cornerback in the NFL. When teams completely avoid throwing to their best players because he is defending them...it says a lot.

Asomugha is the best cornerback in the NFL. When teams completely avoid throwing to their best players because he is defending them...it says a lot.

My bestfriend is a huge Raiders fan and loves this guy. I have seen enough games to know that he is a shut down corner because he doesn't all the WR that he is defending do much at all. He doesn't get all the picks like you guys would want.

lol, interceptions are suuuuuuch a terrible stat. When a player gets a lot of interceptions, that means they get thrown at a lot. It doesn't mean they're a bad corner, but interceptions are FAR from the whole story. The great corners are never thrown at because they are, get this, GREAT!

That's a HUGE chunk to eat. For what? Does cutting Vasher really make us better?

Vash was hurt all season last year. When he's healthy, he's one of our best playmakers.

We'd still have plenty of cap (honestly, do you think we're going to make a big splash in FA? Maybe a couple decent signings, but nothing huge probably), and Vasher sucks. He sucked the year before he got paid, and he's sucked last year. He's gotten fat and out of shape, and really doesn't do anything right anymore. Plus, now he can't even stay healthy. Good riddence.

1. If this costs a lot, he shouldn't be cut.

2. If it's size and tackling, then that's a cop-out excuse. He's always been this size, and the tackling can be corrected. Besides, he was injured, and before then did fairly well.

3. Drafting a CB in the first round would be effing horrible for the Bears right now. Period. That's not even in the top five needs (OT, OG, QB, WR, FS).

This is why I would go after the CB from the Raiders Asomugha

this is the #1 free agent i go for this offseason. since ASHKUM BEAR brought this guys attention to the board i have argued that this is the premier free agent that will help our entire team for the same reasons i argued for charles woodson 3-4 years ago. so angie gets a redo if he is even reasonably smart.

asomugha is an unrestricted free agent and the only way the raiders can hope to keep him is either offer him a huge contract or franchise him for BIG money.

although it's hard to outguess a quite mad al davis, in a sane world i say they can't afford to do either.

the raiders need some serious upgrades to personnel and tying that much money up for a pair of all-pro corners would not help them.

they just aquired d. hall last season for a huge *contract and couldn't cut him if they wanted to.

if angie offered similar to what hall got we could still get another premium FA (WR or OT) if we wanted to. our team would immediately be better next season especially if this marinelli is half the dog all claim. a cover corner would give our d-line added time to get to the qb not to mention we would have either tillman or possibly vasher move over to FS. a double win situation

get it done ANGELO!!!

*A source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the deal is for seven years and worth $70 million. The amount of guaranteed money and bonuses in the contract have not been finalized. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3300199

this is the #1 free agent i go for this offseason. since ASHKUM BEAR brought this guys attention to the board i have argued that this is the premier free agent that will help our entire team for the same reasons i argued for charles woodson 3-4 years ago. so angie gets a redo if he is even reasonably smart.

asomugha is an unrestricted free agent and the only way the raiders can hope to keep him is either offer him a huge contract or franchise him for BIG money.

although it's hard to outguess a quite mad al davis, in a sane world i say they can't afford to do either.

the raiders need some serious upgrades to personnel and tying that much money up for a pair of all-pro corners would not help them.

they just aquired d. hall last season for a huge *contract and couldn't cut him if they wanted to.

if angie offered similar to what hall got we could still get another premium FA (WR or OT) if we wanted to. our team would immediately be better next season especially if this marinelli is half the dog all claim. a cover corner would give our d-line added time to get to the qb not to mention we would have either tillman or possibly vasher move over to FS. a double win situation

get it done ANGELO!!!

*A source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the deal is for seven years and worth $70 million. The amount of guaranteed money and bonuses in the contract have not been finalized. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3300199

Good for Hall, he gets big contract but there is no way in Hell that he is worth that kind of contract.