Fred Taylor or Duece McAlister

chitownman

The Trib is speculating that the Bears should go after either Fred Taylor, salary cap casualty of the Jacksonville Jaguars or Duece McAllister who was released by the Saints. The Trib says that McAllister is a higher risk with his injuries that he has had since his 1,000+ yards rushing in 2006. Would it make sense to sign either Taylor or McAllister as a compliment to Forte' at this point or do you see someone else out there that is a possible free agent or someone that we may be able to draft in a later round as a compliment to Forte". I kind of like the idea of either one of these proven backs who would probably be able to mentor Forte' a bit more on the fundamentals of running in the NFL. I do not want either one to come in and replace Forte' however, it would be nice to be able to give Forte' a good breather once in a while during the game and not loose to much with switching to another durable back. What do you all think?

The Trib is speculating that the Bears should go after either Fred Taylor, salary cap casualty of the Jacksonville Jaguars or Duece McAllister who was released by the Saints. The Trib says that McAllister is a higher risk with his injuries that he has had since his 1,000+ yards rushing in 2006. Would it make sense to sign either Taylor or McAllister as a compliment to Forte' at this point or do you see someone else out there that is a possible free agent or someone that we may be able to draft in a later round as a compliment to Forte". I kind of like the idea of either one of these proven backs who would probably be able to mentor Forte' a bit more on the fundamentals of running in the NFL. I do not want either one to come in and replace Forte' however, it would be nice to be able to give Forte' a good breather once in a while during the game and not loose to much with switching to another durable back. What do you all think?

I feel like we should give Wolfe a chance there are always veteran backs available throughout the season so i would wait both these back are similar to Forte. A change of pace back might service this team a lot better and we have one in Wolfe on our team so lets give him a chance.

I feel like we should give Wolfe a chance there are always veteran backs available throughout the season so i would wait both these back are similar to Forte. A change of pace back might service this team a lot better and we have one in Wolfe on our team so lets give him a chance.

I like that they're giving Wolfe a shot, but he's far from a proven commodity. Even if he works out, he's only going to be able to take on certain duties - we all saw what happens when you run him up the middle against Pat and Kevin Williams. We could use a scatback, but we also really need an established back to spell Forte.

I'd love for the Bears to give Fred Taylor a 1 or 2 year deal. He was, by all accounts, a great mentor to Maurice Jones-Drew: even though he realized they had MJD in the wings to replace him, Taylor taught the guy, went over film study with him, etc. He'd be a great addition in place of Kevin Jones.

I like that they're giving Wolfe a shot, but he's far from a proven commodity. Even if he works out, he's only going to be able to take on certain duties - we all saw what happens when you run him up the middle against Pat and Kevin Williams. We could use a scatback, but we also really need an established back to spell Forte.

I'd love for the Bears to give Fred Taylor a 1 or 2 year deal. He was, by all accounts, a great mentor to Maurice Jones-Drew: even though he realized they had MJD in the wings to replace him, Taylor taught the guy, went over film study with him, etc. He'd be a great addition in place of Kevin Jones.

Hey, as defiantgiant pointed out, JA did this with Keven Jones, so why not Taylor, unles Jones is going to be retained, and USED.

END OF THREAD

Many state the Bears have a need for a compliment or a change of pace back to Forte? Which is it and what is the difference?

Why doed Kevin Jones (if he comes back) and Wolfe not both of these needs? I really think we just need to focus on OL and WR for offensive to be improved greatly as well as bring in more talent to compete at QB. Taylor, K. Jones and Duece are all similar so I would go with the younger and currently most healthy and keep Jones. Wolfe has some good attributes and would like to see him utilized more and not in obvious 3rd and long situations. We need more of a mix like what the Panthers and Jaguars usually have.

I would not mind Fred Taylor at all. Good solid vet, runs hard, and would provide us with a legit backup to Forte.

If Wolfe is our main backup going into next year, may god have mercy on us. Wolfe is only good for special teams, and a series or two a game. He's a scat back type who'd be good once in a while to speed up the game for us. He's perfect for once we get the D tired.

Also, Kevin Jones, I'm willing to bet, isn't even considering the Bears next year.

Fred Taylor can pound it, and if Forte does get injured, I'd feel a WHOLE lot more comfortable with Taylor steping in with Wolfe and Peterson behind him then I would with Wolfe and Peterson stepping in for Forte. Also, Taylor >>>>>>>> Jones.

I'd rather just find a young RB in the draft or pick up a younger FA RB. Fix the Oline and as Denver showed for years (among other teams) anyone can run behind them.

Denver runs a zone-blocking scheme that allows one-cut runners to be very successful. This is why "anyone" can run behind their line: the type of back that they've used, historically, isn't nearly as good in other systems. Clinton Portis is a notable exception, but think about what their other backs (Reuben Droughns, Tatum Bell, Ron Dayne, etc.) did when they went to non-ZBS teams. Not a whole lot.

Check Ryan Grant for a reverse example: he went from the Giants' practice squad/4th string RB to the Packers, who run a zone system. Yeah, he's put up over 2000 yards with Green Bay, but it would have been very surprising to see him have a similar degree of success in New York.

The Bears don't run a ZBS, as far as I know, so the comparison to Denver isn't really that apt. I agree that the o-line needs to run-block a little better, but their primary problem in '08 was pass protection.

I was in agreement until you finished by saying their run blocking wasn't their primary problem.

I think most felt their run blocking was the worst issue, while the pass protection was a touch better than expected, though I have always argued that was more Orton than the OL.

But I think our run blocking was flat out awful. Most of Forte's bigger runs came after him bouncing to the outside when the expected hole was in fact a wall. Hell, just look how bad we did on 3rd and short or 4th and short. Not only did our OL fail to open holes. No only did our OL fail to get a push. Our OL was actually pushed backward, and our RBs were often hit behind the LOS.

As bad as I personally feel our OL did vs. the pass, I think they were even worse against the run.

Denver runs a zone-blocking scheme that allows one-cut runners to be very successful. This is why "anyone" can run behind their line: the type of back that they've used, historically, isn't nearly as good in other systems. Clinton Portis is a notable exception, but think about what their other backs (Reuben Droughns, Tatum Bell, Ron Dayne, etc.) did when they went to non-ZBS teams. Not a whole lot.

Check Ryan Grant for a reverse example: he went from the Giants' practice squad/4th string RB to the Packers, who run a zone system. Yeah, he's put up over 2000 yards with Green Bay, but it would have been very surprising to see him have a similar degree of success in New York.

The Bears don't run a ZBS, as far as I know, so the comparison to Denver isn't really that apt. I agree that the o-line needs to run-block a little better, but their primary problem in '08 was pass protection.

But I think our run blocking was flat out awful. Most of Forte's bigger runs came after him bouncing to the outside when the expected hole was in fact a wall. Hell, just look how bad we did on 3rd and short or 4th and short. Not only did our OL fail to open holes. No only did our OL fail to get a push. Our OL was actually pushed backward, and our RBs were often hit behind the LOS.

As bad as I personally feel our OL did vs. the pass, I think they were even worse against the run.

Agreed! Our run blocking was atrocious. Does anyone remember the Minnesota games where their DL was pushing our linemen into the backfield on almost every play? There were WAAAY too many "Forte for no gain" plays.

You guys may disagree. But, I think we may have our complimentary back already on the roster. I don't know why Garrett Wolfe hasn't been able to get ANY snaps. Don't give me that size stuff. When given the chance to play in space, instead of sending him between the guards, he makes plays.

I think that Fred Taylor and Duece will both want more carriers than we're willing to give them.

I am fine giving Wolfe more touches. What bothers me is, if Forte goes down, I do not like our backup situation. While I would like to give Wolfe more touches, I do NOT view him as being capable of stepping up if Forte goes down, and I think AP needs to stick to special teams.

AP is very popular, but IMHO, he also really limits our roster.

Agreed! Our run blocking was atrocious. Does anyone remember the Minnesota games where their DL was pushing our linemen into the backfield on almost every play? There were WAAAY too many "Forte for no gain" plays.

You guys may disagree. But, I think we may have our complimentary back already on the roster. I don't know why Garrett Wolfe hasn't been able to get ANY snaps. Don't give me that size stuff. When given the chance to play in space, instead of sending him between the guards, he makes plays.

I think that Fred Taylor and Duece will both want more carriers than we're willing to give them.

I was in agreement until you finished by saying their run blocking wasn't their primary problem.

I think most felt their run blocking was the worst issue, while the pass protection was a touch better than expected, though I have always argued that was more Orton than the OL.

You know, I hadn't checked the o-line stats before I posted that, I just remembered our line (mostly St. Clair) giving up a million sacks. But looking at FO's numbers, our line was actually mid-pack in pass protection (11th overall, 5.3% sack rate, 29 sacks total) which is way better than I thought. Meanwhile, our runners got stuffed more often than all but 5 teams'. I guess we do need an upgrade.

Maybe it isn't such a bad plan to resign St. Clair and have him compete for right tackle. The only runs averaging better than 4 yards this season were off left tackle and between the guards.

I would not mind Fred Taylor at all. Good solid vet, runs hard, and would provide us with a legit backup to Forte.

If Wolfe is our main backup going into next year, may god have mercy on us. Wolfe is only good for special teams, and a series or two a game. He's a scat back type who'd be good once in a while to speed up the game for us. He's perfect for once we get the D tired.

Also, Kevin Jones, I'm willing to bet, isn't even considering the Bears next year.

Fred Taylor can pound it, and if Forte does get injured, I'd feel a WHOLE lot more comfortable with Taylor steping in with Wolfe and Peterson behind him then I would with Wolfe and Peterson stepping in for Forte. Also, Taylor >>>>>>>> Jones.

This line of reasoning - in bold - is infuriating. What are you basing this on!? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

When given the chance, Wolfe has done really well. He's looked fast, elusive, and competent. He's not a short-yardage, up the middle back. When he's used against the Vikings on a goal line situation, what the heck do you expect of him?

Also, let's not forget that the Bears coaches haven't exactly been finding offensive diamonds in the rough, or showing any sort of competency when it comes to choosing starters and devising game plans.

If the Bears had Darren Sproles instead of Wolfe, it'd be the same thing. Everyone saying he can't do this, can't do that. The difference is, Wolfe sits on the bench as the Bears show incompetency on offense, and continue to give opportunities to a guy who has reached his absolute apex - Adrian Peterson. Meanwhile, Sproles is on San Diego getting franchised because he rips up the field when he has been given a chance.

Why do you guys hate the idea of Wolfe so much? It's absolutely without foundation from my point of view.

I'm completely with you on this jason...

I harbor no faith what-so-ever in our coaching staff's ability to judge talent and scheme on offense. (Heck, I can make an arguement on D as well...but that's for another thread).

We could have Barry Sanders and Smith would figure out ways to keep him on the bench... I'm so furious at this coaching staff I don't even know where to begin...

This line of reasoning - in bold - is infuriating. What are you basing this on!? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

When given the chance, Wolfe has done really well. He's looked fast, elusive, and competent. He's not a short-yardage, up the middle back. When he's used against the Vikings on a goal line situation, what the heck do you expect of him?

Also, let's not forget that the Bears coaches haven't exactly been finding offensive diamonds in the rough, or showing any sort of competency when it comes to choosing starters and devising game plans.

If the Bears had Darren Sproles instead of Wolfe, it'd be the same thing. Everyone saying he can't do this, can't do that. The difference is, Wolfe sits on the bench as the Bears show incompetency on offense, and continue to give opportunities to a guy who has reached his absolute apex - Adrian Peterson. Meanwhile, Sproles is on San Diego getting franchised because he rips up the field when he has been given a chance.

Why do you guys hate the idea of Wolfe so much? It's absolutely without foundation from my point of view.

How about we put it this way...if Wolfe is the only backup, and the coaching staff has already made the decision to consign him to the bench and special teams, then the Bears absolutely need someone to take the load off of Forte.

I can't speak to the coaching staff's decision on Wolfe. I'll agree that sending him up the middle in a goalline situation is fairly stupid, that they haven't even really tried to see if he's going to be effective. If they're willing to try that, then there are better uses of cap space or picks than on a backup RB when the team already has Wolfe and Peterson. But if they're not going to try, if they don't like what he brings to the table, then someone else has to come in.

I wasn't trying to imply we need to copy Denver's ZBS nor the RBs who are successful in that scheme. The point is to run whatever scheme you want but draft or sign the Oline players that fit the scheme. Then behind that line you can fit in a good RB who fits that style of play.

Would it be better to use the Giants as a reference? The lost Tiki Barber after he had a great season, at the top of the league, and the next two years afterwards pretty much every guy that has run the ball for them is playing "great". In 2008 -- Jacobs 5.0 ypc, Derek Ward 5.6 ypc, Ahmad Bradshaw 5.3ypc. Either all 3 of these guys are elite stud RBs or the Oline gave them some nice holes to run through.

WOLFE DOES NOT HAVE THE BODY TO BE ABLE TO WITH STAND THE PUNISHMENT OF HAVING THE BALL MORE THEN MAYBE 5 TIMES A HALF.

My god, name one other skinny ass running back who's 5'7", 190, and is anything more then a scat back. He's a good scat back, but to think he'd be able to even carry half of the load in the NFL as a RB is pretty damn stupid.

WOLFE DOES NOT HAVE THE BODY TO BE ABLE TO WITH STAND THE PUNISHMENT OF HAVING THE BALL MORE THEN MAYBE 5 TIMES A HALF.

My god, name one other skinny ass running back who's 5'7", 190, and is anything more then a scat back. He's a good scat back, but to think he'd be able to even carry half of the load in the NFL as a RB is pretty damn stupid.

Warrick Dunn who had a similar build lasted a few years and was very productive in the role his teams have used him in. So until Wolfe has a larger body of work and used more efficiently than I will not say he can't play!

Warrick Dunn who had a similar build lasted a few years and was very productive in the role his teams have used him in. So until Wolfe has a larger body of work and used more efficiently than I will not say he can't play!

Dunn had a lot more in the legs than wolfe. Sprolles is more like Dunn if anything.

I think the issue is far more AP than Wolfe. I believe few here really have a problem w/ (a) Wolfe getting more carries/touches or (B) Wolfe getting a shot at the role as a compliment player. The problem I think is many want a more everydown RB to backup Forte, and few believe Wofle can provide this. You said yourself we should not expect much from him running inside, but if Forte goes down, is that not something we will need?

So I think that is the problem. We have 3 RBs right now. We have a damn good starter in Forte. We have in Wolfe good potential change of pace/ 3rd down style RB. In AP, we have a RB who, IMHO, is best as a special teams player. If Forte goes down, we will have to rely too heavily on AP.

But there is the problem. Few, I think, believe AP is going anywhere. Yet we need a better everydown backup behind Forte. Thus, if AP is going nowhere, and Wolfe is not an everydown RB, we are faced the little choice but to add a RB.

I said this last year too. I would love to see Wolfe more involved. For me, wanting another RB has nothing to do w/ Wolfe, but is because I do not like the idea of AP being our main RB if Forte goes down.

I think the issue is far more AP than Wolfe. I believe few here really have a problem w/ (a) Wolfe getting more carries/touches or (B) Wolfe getting a shot at the role as a compliment player. The problem I think is many want a more everydown RB to backup Forte, and few believe Wofle can provide this. You said yourself we should not expect much from him running inside, but if Forte goes down, is that not something we will need?

So I think that is the problem. We have 3 RBs right now. We have a damn good starter in Forte. We have in Wolfe good potential change of pace/ 3rd down style RB. In AP, we have a RB who, IMHO, is best as a special teams player. If Forte goes down, we will have to rely too heavily on AP.

But there is the problem. Few, I think, believe AP is going anywhere. Yet we need a better everydown backup behind Forte. Thus, if AP is going nowhere, and Wolfe is not an everydown RB, we are faced the little choice but to add a RB.

I said this last year too. I would love to see Wolfe more involved. For me, wanting another RB has nothing to do w/ Wolfe, but is because I do not like the idea of AP being our main RB if Forte goes down.

I'm all for picking up one of the released RBs, with Taylor being my preference right now. Keep AP on STs and get wolfe more involved. Use the FA RB in case something happens to Forte.

And I'd also focus on OT for our no. 1 pick. I just don't trust Sanchez to have enough experience yet to be an NFL QB.

I can see AP being cut. I agree that we need an upgrade for backup RB and keep Wolfe as the specialist scat back. I don't understand why so many feel we need him for special teams. I really wasn't that impressed with AP in coverage last year. In fact, Wolfe was far more effective in kick coverage units making many tackles. I think other players were at least as effective if not more so than AP: LaRoque, McClover made a few key plays for us, Jamar Williams, Corey Graham, Charles Tillman, and I expect players like Zack Bowman to make a push for a roster spot and special teams playing time as well. You might be adding in the new backup RB and/or FB to that list of competition as well so I don't think it's a lock for AP to make the team just based on his special teams play.