Colts freeing up space

Wesson44

I would be all over this. No question Harrison is not the player he once was, but if he were, we would not have a shot at him. I think he, or Holt, would bring a lot to the table. Also, I think either would prove quality leaders for a group of WRs lacking in that area.

Colts | Harrison to be let go soon

Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:11:29 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Indianapolis Colts are expected to let WR Marvin Harrison go soon. Releasing Harrison would free up $7 million in salary cap space.

Overall, I agree...

Do you know his status in regards to the shooting charge? Is that over?

I would be all over this. No question Harrison is not the player he once was, but if he were, we would not have a shot at him. I think he, or Holt, would bring a lot to the table. Also, I think either would prove quality leaders for a group of WRs lacking in that area.

Overall, I agree...

Do you know his status in regards to the shooting charge? Is that over?

The Philadelphia DA decided about a month ago not to press charges against Harrison in that case, and the man who stated that Harrison was involved is facing charges on making false statements to police. That same man has supposedly filed a civil case against Harrison, but it seems likely he will face no jail time. The case is still open so things could change if new evidence or witnesses come forward.

Thanks for the update!

Based on that, I'd say let's see if he can be had...

The Philadelphia DA decided about a month ago not to press charges against Harrison in that case, and the man who stated that Harrison was involved is facing charges on making false statements to police. That same man has supposedly filed a civil case against Harrison, but it seems likely he will face no jail time. The case is still open so things could change if new evidence or witnesses come forward.

But I think the key here is, there is not enough evidence to show that he actually did anything wrong. In fact, per other posters, the man who made the allegations may be brought up on charges for making false statements.

I know Goodell has come down w/ a steel fist, but I don't think he can punish players who have not done anything (proven) wrong. Its one thing when you are talking about the PacMan Jones' of the league, who have a history or problems, but Harrison has a clean record.

Anything is possible, but w/o the DA bringing charges, I just do not see how Harrison can be punished.

Nope. Not necessarily the case. There are still NFL "conduct" requirements that must be honored irrespective of criminal charges.

From my understanding, I think you're right.

If something came of the lawsuit, the NFL could step in then I believe.

I would imagine it's basically over unless new evidence comes to light...

But I think the key here is, there is not enough evidence to show that he actually did anything wrong. In fact, per other posters, the man who made the allegations may be brought up on charges for making false statements.

I know Goodell has come down w/ a steel fist, but I don't think he can punish players who have not done anything (proven) wrong. Its one thing when you are talking about the PacMan Jones' of the league, who have a history or problems, but Harrison has a clean record.

Anything is possible, but w/o the DA bringing charges, I just do not see how Harrison can be punished.

The other guy lied. But, so did Marvin. That was his gun. They found it in his trash can. It was a rare brand and used rare shells that were found at the scene. The dude did it. They are just protecting him.

Roger Goodell may choose not to punish him. If he does, it surely gives the league a black-eye because Marv was always considered a "nice guy".

It gives Marv the bigger black eye...

The league can't really do anything...but the fans and writers can.

The other guy lied. But, so did Marvin. That was his gun. They found it in his trash can. It was a rare brand and used rare shells that were found at the scene. The dude did it. They are just protecting him.

Roger Goodell may choose not to punish him. If he does, it surely gives the league a black-eye because Marv was always considered a "nice guy".

The league can't really do anything...but the fans and writers can.

That's where I disagree. Goodell and the league have punished players in the past for actions that didn't end in criminal charges. I would guarantee that the league says they "reserve the right" to punish for almost any negative off-the-field behavior, formal charges or not.

Again, I don't really care about that incident. I'm not clearing him to date my daughter. We need a serious WR, and he clearly fits that mold. If he's not about to get suspended, I say bring him in!

I guess that is true... I think you are correct.

That's where I disagree. Goodell and the league has punished players in the past for actions that didn't end in criminal charges. I would guarantee that the league says they "reserve the right" to punish for almost any negative off-the-field behavior, formal charges or not.

Again, I don't really care about that incident. I'm not clearing him to date my daughter. We need a serious WR, and he clearly fits that mold. If he's not about to get suspended, I say bring him in!

It wouldn't matter to me whether the guy has a potential suspension, he's a bad dude and he can't play anymore. He can't separate and get open. If he can't get open enough in a dome for Peyton Manning to find him, what chance does he have anywhere, much less cold windy Soldier Field?

I'd just be ok with Torry Holt, but I'd take Holt in a nanosecond before taking Harrison.

Points well made...

It wouldn't matter to me whether the guy has a potential suspension, he's a bad dude and he can't play anymore. He can't separate and get open. If he can't get open enough in a dome for Peyton Manning to find him, what chance does he have anywhere, much less cold windy Soldier Field?

I'd just be ok with Torry Holt, but I'd take Holt in a nanosecond before taking Harrison.

Colts | Harrison to be let go soon

Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:11:29 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Indianapolis Colts are expected to let WR Marvin Harrison go soon. Releasing Harrison would free up $7 million in salary cap space.

Hell yes. He'd be the perfect inside route runner that would...

A] Give Devin more one on one opportunities

B] Show Davis and Bennett a thing or two

C] Open up the seam routes for Clark and Olsen

I know he's lost a step, but I don't think he's gone so far down hill that he can't be productive. His stats weren't that bad last year for a #2 WR, which is what he was considering rise of Reggie Wayne.

Hell yes. He'd be the perfect inside route runner that would...

A] Give Devin more one on one opportunities

B] Show Davis and Bennett a thing or two

C] Open up the seam routes for Clark and Olsen

I know he's lost a step, but I don't think he's gone so far down hill that he can't be productive. His stats weren't that bad last year for a #2 WR, which is what he was considering rise of Reggie Wayne.

Here's my one question with Harrison. We saw with Moose exactly what going from a solid WR system with alternate options to a crappy WR system to a solid WR system can do for a player. There quite simply is no better QB/WR/Offense system in the NFL than the one running in Indianapolis. Could being put in the wrong situation take a guy like Harrison who is still productive in Indy an turn him nearly useless in Chicago?

Here's my one question with Harrison. We saw with Moose exactly what going from a solid WR system with alternate options to a crappy WR system to a solid WR system can do for a player. There quite simply is no better QB/WR/Offense system in the NFL than the one running in Indianapolis. Could being put in the wrong situation take a guy like Harrison who is still productive in Indy an turn him nearly useless in Chicago?

Moose went from Great to bad

Booker went from good to terrible

How good could Bernard Berrian be with Indianappolis? The poor guy is rich but he's doomed to play on crappy offenses with really bad quarterbacks.

To answer your question, if we'd had Boldin & Fitz had been drafted by Chicago, they'd probably be the eqiuvalent of David Terrell & Mark Bradley right now.

Yes, I'm being over-dramatic, but to answer your question, Harrison would be as useless as Booker in Chicago.

How good could Bernard Berrian be with Indianappolis? The poor guy is rich but he's doomed to play on crappy offenses with really bad quarterbacks.

To answer your question, if we'd had Boldin & Fitz had been drafted by Chicago, they'd probably be the eqiuvalent of David Terrell & Mark Bradley right now.

Yes, I'm being over-dramatic, but to answer your question, Harrison would be as useless as Booker in Chicago.

Agreed in general. I know a few people in the Colts org and while they say Marvin is a good guy, he can also be moody and go into a shell. You often see him sitting on the bench away from his teammates. I don't think leaving Peyton is going to stroke his ego either. IMO - unless he goes to a really good situation, he will fade to obscurity.

Yes, Moose went from great to bad, but at the same time, was he ever consistently great? That is the thing that always pissed me off w/ Moose, and what pisses me off now with all the comparisons. Moose was inconsistent through his career. He would have a big year, followed by a couple very mediocre ones. We signed him off a career year, and he flopped, but I always questioned the expectations.

Not goint to argue the terrible, but good? He had like 500 yards, one score, and one of his worst ypc averages the year prior to our signing him. How was he good. Booker was considered washed up when we signed him, and we simply took a cheap chance he had something left. He didn't. But lets not pretend he was good prior to coming to Chicago.

No argument. Any decent WR is going to look better in a situation like Indy. At the same time, that does not mean a player from that system can not be good elsewhere.

Yea, I would say that is over-dramatic. Berrian had nearly 1,000 yards for us, and is no where remotely close to the talent of Fitz or Boldin. IMHO, I would look at Berrian as an example why it is not impossible for a WR to do well in Chicago. He may not have ever become the great #1 we wanted, but (a) he did develop fairly well for a 3rd round pick and (B) I think few ever would have thought of him as some elite, top tier talent. If Berrian could have 1,000 yards for us, I think Boldin or Fitz could produce significantly more. But when we have ever brought in talent like Fitz or Boldin? We cry about losing Gage, Berrian or even Wade, but why do we believe we can add these later round picks and get the same results as WRs who were considered tops in their draft?

Back to Harrison. I don't think anyone believes Harrison would come in and return to his glory days. Ditto w/ Holt. But the question (I don't think) is whether they could be great again, but simply whether they could improve our situation. I have a hard time understanding the logic of how they would not upgrade our WR corp, and improve our passing game. You really think we are better off w/ Davis going across the middle, rather than Harrison or Holt?

But when we have ever brought in talent like Fitz or Boldin? We cry about losing Gage, Berrian or even Wade, but why do we believe we can add these later round picks and get the same results as WRs who were considered tops in their draft?

David Terrell. It wasn't that long ago. We missed on that one of course but one could question whether being in Chicago wasn't the difference between just being a "dissapointment" and being a "bust".

1. It was pretty long ago. The key for me is, it was a totally different team. Different GM. Different coaches. Different QBs, system and players. I have never been big on using history to say this or that won't work for the team today.

2. While he was a high pick, he was also viewed as a high boom/bust potential player due to numerous red flags.

3. What did he do after his time w/ the bears. Memory may fail me, but I think he went to a pair of solid systems in Denver and NE, and failed at both. If he did well after the bears, I think it would better fit the argument that WRs come to Chicago to die, but as he was a bust after the bears, I think it more points to his simply not being an NFL caliber player.

The point is still the same. Under Angelo/Lovie, when have we prioritized the WR position? It seems like we add a bunch of lesser players, and expect them to play at elite levels. While Berrian may not have ever become the elite WR many wanted, at the same time, I think he did develop on a level that shows a WR can get it done in Chicago.

David Terrell. It wasn't that long ago. We missed on that one of course but one could question whether being in Chicago wasn't the difference between just being a "dissapointment" and being a "bust".