Hey, it's a free safety!

dawhizz

Sooo.....

The Bears O-Line sucked. They bring in a guy to play guard that in his one NFL start his team rearranged the line so he wouldn't have to play guard.

The Bears secondary sucked. They get rid of their only productive safety and bring in a guy from one of the if not the worst secondaries in the league.

Bravo Bears, Bravo!!!

False premise: They rearranged the line so nobody else had to play LT. That's a compliment to Omiyale. Had they put him in at OG after he practiced all year as the backup OT that would indicate an issue.

Anyway, all I can say is why can't he be better than Garza? That's not a tough challenge.

False premise: They rearranged the line so nobody else had to play LT. That's a compliment to Omiyale. Had they put him in at OG after he practiced all year as the backup OT that would indicate an issue.

Anyway, all I can say is why can't he be better than Garza? That's not a tough challenge.

I'll start off by saying you may be totally right about the reshuffling of their line. I just remember what I read, and I can't vouch for it because I never follow the Panthers.

I'm just disappointed in the Bears off season this year other then bringing Kevin Jones back.

This team has a lot of holes. Given this was probably the best group of WR's I can remember available in FA, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of interest the Bears shown.

Normally I wouldn't be mad with the idea of bringing in Omiyale or Bollock.

In Omiyale's case, I feel that they are expecting too much based on too little. If they brought him in as a prospect and he was paid as such, I would love the signing. I think with the contract he has they expect him to start. If he doesn't win the job, then he's a way over paid back up. I mean he got a starting guards money based on a game or 2 at another position. That's why I hate the signing, especially when there were safer, better bets available in FA.

Bullock was a Manning-esque FS while he was in NO. His coverage skills seem to be lacking from what I've seen and read about him so far. Normally I would like bringing in a Vet on the cheap to provide some depth. The Bears have plenty of young players for depth, what they lack is a starter. I'll be disappointed if this signing leads to them not addressing the issue now which I see as a possibility.

Omiyale will atleast address a need as OL depth, at a price, but depth at FS was way off the team need list for me. I have seen no starting positions filled this offseason, IMO, and the players signed may give them an excuse to try and not fill their respective positions and that's what bothers me.

Probably not in the 1st 3 rounds but safeties are always good special team fillers so look for one round 4 and lower.

Peace :dabears

Don't we still only have 3 safeties on the roster right now (Steltz, Bullocks, Payne)? I guess it depends on what you consider Manning to be, but I think safety remains very much in play for the draft.

Don't we still only have 3 safeties on the roster right now (Steltz, Bullocks, Payne)? I guess it depends on what you consider Manning to be, but I think safety remains very much in play for the draft.

Isnt Payne a strong safety while Steltz and Bullocks are free safeties?

This team has a lot of holes. Given this was probably the best group of WR's I can remember available in FA, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of interest the Bears shown.

This has been my beef with the team all off-season. We have truckload of money "under the cap" with no major free agents to sign or extend. I am usually conservative by nature, but we could have bought a couple difference makers AND have money left over.

In Omiyale's case, I feel that they are expecting too much based on too little. If they brought him in as a prospect and he was paid as such, I would love the signing. I think with the contract he has they expect him to start. If he doesn't win the job, then he's a way over paid back up. I mean he got a starting guards money based on a game or 2 at another position. That's why I hate the signing, especially when there were safer, better bets available in FA.

I actually like the Omiyale signing. I feel it better to sign a guy that has upside and let him compete to be a starter. What makes me uncomfortable is the fear of the brass standing pat and NOT upgrading St. Clair.

Bullock was a Manning-esque FS while he was in NO. His coverage skills seem to be lacking from what I've seen and read about him so far. Normally I would like bringing in a Vet on the cheap to provide some depth. The Bears have plenty of young players for depth, what they lack is a starter. I'll be disappointed if this signing leads to them not addressing the issue now which I see as a possibility. Agreed, we need to continue to upgrade. My hope that JA and Lovie have evaluated Bullock to be a better fit for our scheme. Otherwise, the only upgrade he truly brings is the skillset of being the ONLY FS on the roster. IMO - that is weak. What is encouraging is we signed him to a Brandon Lloyd type contract where he needs to produce in order to get a real contract.

Omiyale will atleast address a need as OL depth, at a price, but depth at FS was way off the team need list for me. I have seen no starting positions filled this offseason, IMO, and the players signed may give them an excuse to try and not fill their respective positions and that's what bothers me. Totally agree with the "starting positions" comment. We went into the off-season with truly needing major upgrades at FS, WR, FB and OL. Does anyone think those upgrades are currently on the roster?? Does anyone think we will luck out and fill these sorely needed starting roles through the draft?? It's a much easier task if you address at least half of these in FA, allowing you to concentrate on needs and BPA in the draft.

I think S is still very much in play for the draft. Remember, besides Brown, we also lost McGowan this offseason, and thus were short two safeties. From what Angelo and Lovie have said, it appears we are looking at DM as a nickel, not safety, otherwise I think the staff would have talked about him in terms of competition at FS, rather than just point to Steltz.

So we needed to safeties, and we just added one on the cheap. This may allow Angelo, in his mind, not to reach for a safety early if the value is not there, but I am not sure it means we will simply pass on safety if one is there we like.

Steltz is a SS is listed as a FS because we have no one else there. Add a FS in the draft and we have 2 and 2 and see what happens.

Yeah, we've only got three. It sounds like the Bears reversed themselves on Manning: Angelo implied that they'd be trying him at free safety again, then they corrected that statement and said he'd be staying at nickel back. He's better as a nickel than a safety anyway. Steltz has less than ideal speed and below-average coverage skills for a FS. His range and ball skills are more than adequate for a strong safety, though, and he's got the size for it. Payne has proven that he's not FS material at this point, so we've really only got one FS on the roster.

The article I read in the Sun-Times (it's here) made it sound like Chicago could still pick up a free safety in the draft, and I hope they do. After the Bullocks signing, I'd like to see Bullocks and a draft pick (c'monnnn Jairus Byrd) compete for the starting FS job, with Steltz as the starting SS and Payne as his backup. Steltz was a beast in college, and he looked pretty good when he got to play last season. I've seen enough of Payne sliding off tackles because he won't wrap up: I don't want that guy starting anywhere.

This move sucks... I was really hoping they were considering signing Ken Lucas (released by the panthers) and finally following thru with the idea of moving tillman to FS after all we do like picking up former panthers as they like picking up former bears lol. I would feel a lot more comfortable with graham and lucas as the cb's and tillman and payne as the safety tandem then we could have used vasher as the nickel. Who knows they may still try to get him but I have a feeling they are playing a cheap year this year and are content with mediocrity which is why we still have babich on the coaching staff. Oh well this is nothing more than JA and Lovie sealing their fate at season's end. You can only blame yourself JA!

IMHO this move is a good one for right now. Bullocks might be a better player because of our cover two. We don't have weak corners like the Saints did so he could make it for a year. Then again he signed a one year contract so he is out to show what he can do to earn a bigger payday. Now I would be happy if we got Burton from ND in the draft somewhere. I just don't feel good about Steltz as a starter