Cedric Benson

jason

Having read the article, I have no problem with what he said because it sounds pretty accurate to me.

* - His teammates didn't like him. (Can anyone dispute that?)

*- He ended up being exonerated from all the charges that got him released. (Can anyone dispute that either?)

Having read the article, I have no problem with what he said because it sounds pretty accurate to me.

* - His teammates didn't like him. (Can anyone dispute that?)

*- He ended up being exonerated from all the charges that got him released. (Can anyone dispute that either?)

Good call. Even though he is a moron, I always felt he got kind of a raw deal here. The rest of the team was mad cause they loved TJ so kind of got the brunt of that. That Minny/Chi game where AP killed us was on NFLnetwork the other day so I was watching it thinking that Benson was running well. Greise was brutal that game though.

Oh well. We got someone better holding down the Forte now.

While the 2 items LT pointed out are correct...how exactly did he get a raw deal? He took millions from this franchise, came in unprepared and out of shape. To me, that a raw deal for the fans and club.

This isn't a tea party, it's football. If the D punches you in the mouth, lower your shoulder and punch them back.

Benson isn't a complete bum...but he certainly made his own bed.

Good call. Even though he is a moron, I always felt he got kind of a raw deal here. The rest of the team was mad cause they loved TJ so kind of got the brunt of that. That Minny/Chi game where AP killed us was on NFLnetwork the other day so I was watching it thinking that Benson was running well. Greise was brutal that game though.

Oh well. We got someone better holding down the Forte now.

While the 2 items LT pointed out are correct...how exactly did he get a raw deal? He took millions from this franchise, came in unprepared and out of shape. To me, that a raw deal for the fans and club.

This isn't a tea party, it's football. If the D punches you in the mouth, lower your shoulder and punch them back.

Benson isn't a complete bum...but he certainly made his own bed.

He was knocked by fans for a low YPC but that was more the crap oline at the time. In fact, I dont think Forte's YPC was much better last year.

He was knocked by fans because he wasn't TJ.

As far as the defense in practice was concerned, they weren't hitting him harder and late because they were trying to toughen him up, the defense was trying to send the coaching staff a lesson on promoting someone over their "friend" TJ. Benson was an easy target cause he was a jerk and noone liked him. But I saw the youtube of that crap, and it was bs.

And if your criteria for the fans getting a raw deal is coming in unprepared, out of shape, and taking millions then Benson is definitly not the only name on that list.

Again, not saying that I am sad that he is not with us, cause I love Forte, but he wasn't nearly as bad as people mad him out to be.

Agreed. Personally, as far as fans go, he wasn't exactly wanted in the first place. As I recall, very few were in favor of supporting him leading up to the draft. From there, it was basically a down slope. He fought w/ ownership over money. Funny thing here is, so many call our team cheap and would often side w/ the player, but not when they didn't like the player to begin w/. Funny thing is, over time the numbers came out and it did seem in fact like the teams was offering less than market value for the draft slot, but few remember or care. To fans who didn't like him in the first place, he should have felt honored to be drafted by the bears and taken whatever was offered to him.

But as bad as it was w/ the fans, it was worse in the club house. Benson entered a situation where he was the player drafted to replace a veteran who was very liked and respected by the team. From the get-go, Benson was a target. Unfortunately, he didn't have the mental makeup to deal w/ this, and thus things really tanked.

In the end, I think Benson is a good player (though not great) and he sure seems to have found a better situation in Cincy. His teamates sure seemed to support him, and even raved about his work habits.

Benson was a problem, but to be honest, I wonder how much of the problem still remains in Chicago. I have said for years I feel our team lacks leadership. As poorly as we develop young talent, I sort of wonder how much Benson was the problem and how much Benson was yet another example of a greater problem on our team.

He was knocked by fans for a low YPC but that was more the crap oline at the time. In fact, I dont think Forte's YPC was much better last year.

As far as the defense in practice was concerned, they weren't hitting him harder and late because they were trying to toughen him up, the defense was trying to send the coaching staff a lesson on promoting someone over their "friend" TJ. Benson was an easy target cause he was a jerk and noone liked him. But I saw the youtube of that crap, and it was bs.

And if your criteria for the fans getting a raw deal is coming in unprepared, out of shape, and taking millions then Benson is definitly not the only name on that list.

Again, not saying that I am sad that he is not with us, cause I love Forte, but he wasn't nearly as bad as people mad him out to be.

So what if he was knocked? Man up! He was picked to replace TJ, and showed nothing of the sort that he could do so. Stats are stats... Did his gains come on integral plays? Did his fumbles, etc come at inopportune times? All that factors in...

But, you really said it all...."Benson was an easy target cause he was a jerk and noone liked him." If you're not going to endear yourself personally, you best do so on the field. And he did not. Now, I'm not sure what "youtube" you sepak of... I seriously doubt someone was filming in the locker room...

Oh believe me! Many others deserve to be on that list too!

But, I will shed not one lick of a tear for Benson... I will shed a tear for the franchise for the wasted pick that it was.

I love Forte, and am so happy he's here. And yes, as I mentioned, Benson is not a complete bum. I'd like to wish him luck in Cincy, but I can't. He didn't do enough here to warrant even a microscopic hint of support from me.

Good points, and I tend to agree. This team SEVERLY lacks leadership. I'm not sure if a crack in the jaw from Kruetz is a sufficient sign of a leader. Or a mumbling Urlacher... Only Mike Brown showed any fervor as a leader. It will be interesting who steps up...if any. Until someone does, this team will likely flouder.

Benson was a problem, but to be honest, I wonder how much of the problem still remains in Chicago. I have said for years I feel our team lacks leadership. As poorly as we develop young talent, I sort of wonder how much Benson was the problem and how much Benson was yet another example of a greater problem on our team.

Don't compare him to Forte.

- Forte can catch the ball

- Forte can block

- Forte keeps him mouth shut

- Forte gave all out effort from the day he walked in the door

Ced can't do any of those things. Screw him.

Peace

So what if he was knocked? Man up! He was picked to replace TJ, and showed nothing of the sort that he could do so. Stats are stats... Did his gains come on integral plays? Did his fumbles, etc come at inopportune times? All that factors in...

But, you really said it all...."Benson was an easy target cause he was a jerk and noone liked him." If you're not going to endear yourself personally, you best do so on the field. And he did not. Now, I'm not sure what "youtube" you sepak of... I seriously doubt someone was filming in the locker room...

Oh believe me! Many others deserve to be on that list too!

But, I will shed not one lick of a tear for Benson... I will shed a tear for the franchise for the wasted pick that it was.

I love Forte, and am so happy he's here. And yes, as I mentioned, Benson is not a complete bum. I'd like to wish him luck in Cincy, but I can't. He didn't do enough here to warrant even a microscopic hint of support from me.

Well I disagree with that. When he was splitting time with TJ, he looked great. Good burst, running people over. Then he got hurt. Then the next year when he was the #1 behind a crap line.

The video I am talking about was one in preseason of some half pad drills. Benson was going through and Url and Brown were just trying to kill him. I believe they actually hurt his shoulder and I debated at the time why you would do that to the #1 back and how that was hurting the team.

Agreed. Personally, as far as fans go, he wasn't exactly wanted in the first place. As I recall, very few were in favor of supporting him leading up to the draft. From there, it was basically a down slope. He fought w/ ownership over money. Funny thing here is, so many call our team cheap and would often side w/ the player, but not when they didn't like the player to begin w/. Funny thing is, over time the numbers came out and it did seem in fact like the teams was offering less than market value for the draft slot, but few remember or care. To fans who didn't like him in the first place, he should have felt honored to be drafted by the bears and taken whatever was offered to him.

But as bad as it was w/ the fans, it was worse in the club house. Benson entered a situation where he was the player drafted to replace a veteran who was very liked and respected by the team. From the get-go, Benson was a target. Unfortunately, he didn't have the mental makeup to deal w/ this, and thus things really tanked.

In the end, I think Benson is a good player (though not great) and he sure seems to have found a better situation in Cincy. His teamates sure seemed to support him, and even raved about his work habits.

And that is the thing as well, the "leadership" area is severly lacking. I dont think that the defensive vets really "help" the younger guys because it puts their own job at risk. I think a lesser example was Brown being demoted for Anderson. Url and the boys were not happy with that.

Well I disagree with that. When he was splitting time with TJ, he looked great. Good burst, running people over. Then he got hurt. Then the next year when he was the #1 behind a crap line.

The video I am talking about was one in preseason of some half pad drills. Benson was going through and Url and Brown were just trying to kill him. I believe they actually hurt his shoulder and I debated at the time why you would do that to the #1 back and how that was hurting the team.

One time we actually agree. He was hated by fans at the beginning because of TJ, Mike Williams love, crying cuz he made it to the NFL, and not accepting a below market value deal, Caddy arguably got a better deal behind him.

He did good as a back up, when he got his shot in camp was put on the sideline by Urlacher and Brown. If the fans hating you and the team hating you didn't break you, that offensive line would have.

I think under different circumstances the Bears fans would have loved him. The guy took out the safety they just signed for a couple years and broke Seau's arm or something. The guy could run hard and had talent.

The only thing I hold against him is that I would like my money back for the jersey I bought of his.

Good call on Anderson/Brown, as that is what I recall as well.

So often, you hear stories (from other teams) about how some veteran took a rookie under his wing and really helped develop him. I don't think you see that much from our guys. Maybe some, but not often. I also wonder how much of a factor this is in our young players slow, or inability, to develop. We can all talk about coaching, but I just do not think you can take away from the mentoring aspect either.

Many talk about how Benson cried about the defense, but I also remember Benson being very much at odds w/ TJ. Sure didn't seem like TJ did much to take him under his wing.

And that is the thing as well, the "leadership" area is severly lacking. I dont think that the defensive vets really "help" the younger guys because it puts their own job at risk. I think a lesser example was Brown being demoted for Anderson. Url and the boys were not happy with that.

So often, you hear stories (from other teams) about how some veteran took a rookie under his wing and really helped develop him. I don't think you see that much from our guys. Maybe some, but not often. I also wonder how much of a factor this is in our young players slow, or inability, to develop. We can all talk about coaching, but I just do not think you can take away from the mentoring aspect either.

Many talk about how Benson cried about the defense, but I also remember Benson being very much at odds w/ TJ. Sure didn't seem like TJ did much to take him under his wing.

Didn't he even hold out some of training camp or something and demanded a trade? If I remember right, that's why Benson got to play with the starters. A little after he came back was when Url and Brown did their thing and took Benson out. Then it was pretty much TJ's job again.

I could be wrong, but I think he sat out mini-camps, rather than training camp. I believe both he and Briggs (same agent) sat out mini-camp.

Seriously, I know many loved TJ. I think he can be a solid RB too, but the guy has been a bit of a jerk since being in the NFL.

He was a top 10 pick bust for Az. I could be wrong, but I believe Benson actually showed more for Chicago than TJ did for Az.

He then moves on to TB, where he yet again can't win the starting job. (Michael Pitman held him back at Az & TB)

We take a flyer on him, signing him to a contract which was modest for FA, but not a bad size for a two time bust.

He does decent his first year, but also missed a pair of games w/ injury (a prior red flag). He doesn't breakout for the team though, and does little to kill concerns of health, and thus the bears draft Benson.

Almost immediately, there was a rift between Benson and TJ, not to mention Benson and TJ's buddies. It got even worse as TJ had a big year, and yet the team still had their big investment in Benson.

Then TJ begins crying about his deal, and wants either new money or a trade. Holds out mini camp, and finally agrees to play on the condition the team will trade him after the season, which happens.

But the drama continues for TJ. Only two seasons after NYJ trade for him and give him a contract that makes him happy, TJ is now demanding yet another new deal, and skipping the teams conditioning program.

All I have to say is, I am glad we have Forte now.

Didn't he even hold out some of training camp or something and demanded a trade? If I remember right, that's why Benson got to play with the starters. A little after he came back was when Url and Brown did their thing and took Benson out. Then it was pretty much TJ's job again.

I recall him getting popped in the SB and losing the ball... I guess we all pick and choose what we remember most. But agreed, after his injury, which seemd to happen far more often than was expected from a potential workhorse, he lost a lot.

That only shows the hit...but it doesn't account for what might have gone on in the locker room, etc. as to why he deserved the treatment. I think we can debate Urlacher's leadership skills, but I do place a good amount of trust in Mike Brown's. I simply believe Mike Brown more than Benson. Apparently, Brown thought it was justified. I don't recall it being a sheap shot, just a hard hit. But, regardless, you make a vaild point...did it hurt the team. It might have. But maybe it didn't...maybe it actually made him better. We'll never know.

All we know, is he didn't get the job done for some reason...and more importantly, he is no longer with us.

I also think you can take that one step further and apply it to the postion coaches, especially ones from college. Say they bring in some young college coaches to bring some energy and whatnot. Unless the vets help out with support, those guys will not be effective. The vets will say screw that, I know more than you, I am not buying in. For the most part, the younger players will follow what the vets are doing because if they dont, they will be singled out and get a "Benson special" or whatever.

That is part of the reason why I think the defense will be so much better this year. They are out of scapegoats. There is no more Rex, running game sucks, college position coaches, babich at d coord. The fault will be with them.

You have Marinelli, who is widely known as a great dline coach and who has developed Por Bowlers. So if Brown, Wale, Anderson, Harris, and the boys come out with half ass efforts and such then the spotlight will be on them and it will cost them their jobs and cash.

And I dont think they want Lovie to fail as Dcoord because with a new coach, especially a Cowher, Chuckie, and Shanny, comes new personnel.

JMO

I recall him getting popped in the SB and losing the ball... I guess we all pick and choose what we remember most. But agreed, after his injury, which seemd to happen far more often than was expected from a potential workhorse, he lost a lot.

That only shows the hit...but it doesn't account for what might have gone on in the locker room, etc. as to why he deserved the treatment. I think we can debate Urlacher's leadership skills, but I do place a good amount of trust in Mike Brown's. I simply believe Mike Brown more than Benson. Apparently, Brown thought it was justified. I don't recall it being a sheap shot, just a hard hit. But, regardless, you make a vaild point...did it hurt the team. It might have. But maybe it didn't...maybe it actually made him better. We'll never know.

All we know, is he didn't get the job done for some reason...and more importantly, he is no longer with us.

Well tons of guys lose the ball in the Super Bowl.

And you know, I used to think that Mike Brown was this great leader too. But some things are starting to change that for me. First is the defenses lackadasical showing last year down the stretch with the playoffs on the line. There is no way a great leader lets his squad come out like that. Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Troy P, dont let their squads do that crap. Second, I dont think a great leader tries to beat the crap out of the #1 tailback in a half pads drill. To me that is playing politics so your buddy can have his job back, even though the head coach demoted him for a reason. So not only does that sort of crap hurt the running back it also can undermine the coaches' authority.

Did Fred Miller deserve to have his jaw broken by our fearless Oline leader?

This is the pros not high school.

JMO

Pretty much agree here. I have said all along that I believe we have (minus FS) the talent on defense. I just can't get away from the fact that so littler personnel changed since we were a great defense leading up to the SB, while our coaching changed dramatically. Not just w/ Babich, but also our DL coach was changed. Since then, our DL has essentially tanked, and our defense as a whole has just been bad.

If it were just Urlacher, or Wale (pair of older players) I could better understand the argument that we just got old, but our problems have been across the board. Vasher went from pro bowl talk to sucking. Urlacher fell off a cliff. Tillman, even when healthy, has appeared weaker. No pass rush and iffy run defense. While you and I never saw eye-to-eye on the debate of scheme, one area I think we agreed on was our coaching being a problem. Now, that coaches has changed, and the players can now only point fingers at themselves.

That is why I want to see a very offense-based draft. As much as I question Turner, at the same time, I feel he has gotten FAR more production out of far less. But at the same time, IMHO, if we do not provide him better talent, I can easily see our offense taking a step backward this year.

I also think you can take that one step further and apply it to the postion coaches, especially ones from college. Say they bring in some young college coaches to bring some energy and whatnot. Unless the vets help out with support, those guys will not be effective. The vets will say screw that, I know more than you, I am not buying in. For the most part, the younger players will follow what the vets are doing because if they dont, they will be singled out and get a "Benson special" or whatever.

That is part of the reason why I think the defense will be so much better this year. They are out of scapegoats. There is no more Rex, running game sucks, college position coaches, babich at d coord. The fault will be with them.

You have Marinelli, who is widely known as a great dline coach and who has developed Por Bowlers. So if Brown, Wale, Anderson, Harris, and the boys come out with half ass efforts and such then the spotlight will be on them and it will cost them their jobs and cash.

And I dont think they want Lovie to fail as Dcoord because with a new coach, especially a Cowher, Chuckie, and Shanny, comes new personnel.

JMO