Will some WRs slip?

nfoligno

I previously saw the report from some guy (I think on CNNSI) talking about Nicks, Britt and Harvin slipping out of the 1st round. Honestly, I didn't think much of it. While it may have been on SI, it was still just the opinion of one guy, which seemed to run counter to what most everyone else thought. Now I am starting to wonder a bit more.

I read the other day Rick Gosslin's 1st mock draft. I am not saying Gosslin, or anyone out there is so perfect they know for a fact what will happen, but Gosslin does have a pretty damn good record, though he will have more versions after this one. But in his 1st mock, all three of those WRs failed to be drafted in the 1st round.

Now, I do not think any make it all the way to us, but what I do wonder is, the further they fall, the most the odds a WR like Robiskie makes it to us in the 2nd. I have heard talk of Mossaquia and Iglesias (who I actually like) in the 2nd, but to me, Robiskie is so far and away a better option than either of those two is it not even funny. I really hope the WRs do fall, as they creates a better chance a WR like Robiskie falling to us.

I really prefer the idea of a WRs slipping in the draft to us, over drafting a WR who a month ago was projected to go in the 4th or 5th round.

I previously saw the report from some guy (I think on CNNSI) talking about Nicks, Britt and Harvin slipping out of the 1st round. Honestly, I didn't think much of it. While it may have been on SI, it was still just the opinion of one guy, which seemed to run counter to what most everyone else thought. Now I am starting to wonder a bit more.

I read the other day Rick Gosslin's 1st mock draft. I am not saying Gosslin, or anyone out there is so perfect they know for a fact what will happen, but Gosslin does have a pretty damn good record, though he will have more versions after this one. But in his 1st mock, all three of those WRs failed to be drafted in the 1st round.

Now, I do not think any make it all the way to us, but what I do wonder is, the further they fall, the most the odds a WR like Robiskie makes it to us in the 2nd. I have heard talk of Mossaquia and Iglesias (who I actually like) in the 2nd, but to me, Robiskie is so far and away a better option than either of those two is it not even funny. I really hope the WRs do fall, as they creates a better chance a WR like Robiskie falling to us.

I really prefer the idea of a WRs slipping in the draft to us, over drafting a WR who a month ago was projected to go in the 4th or 5th round.

Gosslin owns this time of year. I am loving the fact that he has has those guys in the 2nd. Do you have any info on who he picked for us in the 2nd?

Also, I would not count out Robiskie being drafted before some of the guys you mentioned. He's actually the most "pro ready" WR in the draft. Great hands, good route runner, prototypical size, good character, top college program, healthy and ran a 4.4. (who else has all of those intangibles?) I actually wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 1st.

Gosslin owns this time of year. I am loving the fact that he has has those guys in the 2nd. Do you have any info on who he picked for us in the 2nd?

Also, I would not count out Robiskie being drafted before some of the guys you mentioned. He's actually the most "pro ready" WR in the draft. Great hands, good route runner, prototypical size, good character, top college program, healthy and ran a 4.4. (who else has all of those intangibles?) I actually wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 1st.

Actually I think Robiskie gets drafted ahead of Britt and Nicks. If one of them drop to our spot, I would suppose we would take them. If Harivn drops to us in the second, do we take him?

With Harvin officially testing positive for weed at the combine, there a pretty good chance he could fall to 49. As Charley Casserly stated, when a player tests positive for anything at the combine, it means they either have a serious problem, or damn stupid, and neither are good things. Casserly also said any prospect in the same shoes as Harvin was taken off their boards (If you don't know who Casserly is, he worked in an NFL front office for 24 some years and spent 16 of those years as a GM).

Now, at 49, I think we could and should take the risk with Harvin if he is there. But it doesn't look like any team will touch Harvin in the 1st. Just too risky.

Correction!

I am sorry I missed it, but Goss actually has Harvin going not only in the 1st round, but in the top 10. I have to believe this was done w/o knowledge of the positive drug test, but wanted to mention this. Not only that, but Britt too is drafted in the 1st round.

Really sorry I missed these. Still has Nicks slipping, and no Robiskie.

WRs he has going in the first round.

#4 - Seattle - Crabtree - It would surprise me a bit to see them draft a WR this high, who would cost a ton, after signing Hous, but that is what he has. Gotta say though. Adding Crabtree and Hous would dramatically boost an offense, and likely extend the life of Hasselback.

#6 - Cincy - Maclin

#7 - Oak - Harvin - I missed Harving being drafted in the first round because he had him so dang high. Again, I think it was done prior to the leak about the positive drug test, which I think we all expect to drop his value.

#17 - NYJ - DHB

#30 - Tenn - Britt

It has to be noted that this is his first mock, and he usually does 3, 4 or 5 mocks, and there will be many changes. I have a hard time seeing Harving going in the 1st w/ the positive drug test, much less top 10. Few others that stood out, which I suspect we will see changed prior to his final mock.

Andre Smith at 26 to Baltimore. He notes the poor workouts, but I have a feeling we will see Smith much higher by Goss' final mock.

James Laurinaitis at 25 to Miami. I know he is a favorite of many here.

Josh Freeman at 12 to Denver. If I were a Bronco fan, I would be sick, having sent a franchise QB packing only to draft a QB who would not even be considered a 1st round value in most years, and taking him at 12.

Hopefully some of the FA veteran WRs sign before the draft allowing teams to shift needs to other areas. There are still a few viable options out there.

Also, every draft has somebody or a position slip which creates some great value in the 2nd round.

Hopefully some of the FA veteran WRs sign before the draft allowing teams to shift needs to other areas. There are still a few viable options out there.

Also, every draft has somebody or a position slip which creates some great value in the 2nd round.

I think the Bears have a couple WRs to pick at that spot and if they arent there, will go a different direction with the pick. I think if they get there guy they will pick up another body after the draft in FAency but if they have to draft less of a prospect in a later round will go after one of the few top type Wrs in FAgency.

Anquan Boldin and Braylon Edwards will go a long way to deciding what happens with WR in the draft. In Edwards case if he leaves Cleveland I think it's clear they'd draft another WR very early in the draft to replace him. In Boldin's case the Cards wouldn't be likely to pick a WR early because they've already got their top 3 WR in place once he leaves and he will leave. That means we'll likely to see one less WR taken before us. I can't say that means we'll see all of the top 7 gone before we pick or not but if I were industrious enough I do a sampling of mock drafts to see on average how many WR were taken before us. Then subtract 1 and see what we get.

Not that it is necessarily indicative of anything substantial, but two of the most updated mock drafts I've seen, both from fairly reputable draft sites, have Harvin available when we pick and one has Nicks as well. Here's hoping that holds true...

http://draftdaddy.com/MD/ - Harvin and Nicks available in the 2nd

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009matt.php - Harvin available in the 2nd