Good draft but...

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Seriously, why did we go with Louis and Kinder when guys like Canfield and Cadogen were there? Both guys were projected to go anywhere from the 2nd-4th, but were there in the 7th.

I understand we upgraded significantly via FA on the OL, but when guys like these 2 are there, you take them.

JA does not like drafting o-linemen. Both Adams and Barton were essentially throw away o-line picks last yr in the 7th.

Peace :dabears

Seriously, why did we go with Louis and Kinder when guys like Canfield and Cadogen were there? Both guys were projected to go anywhere from the 2nd-4th, but were there in the 7th.

I understand we upgraded significantly via FA on the OL, but when guys like these 2 are there, you take them.

I had a feeling that JA would ignore the OL with this draft. They must feel that we'll get more out of Pace and they can bring Williams along. But man, it would have been nice to get one guy for some OG depth now and for the future.

Every year there are guys like that who drop a ton for no apparant reason. It's easy for us to read all the mocks and think "He's a 2nd rounder who's there in the 7th!" but there's a reason why these guys aren't getting picked.

I'm guessing fans from every other team are saying something similar right now. Either the 32 general managers know something we don't, or everyone of them is retarded.

My question to you is, how often has JA drafted o-linemen? Not very often. He chooses to go after veteran guys on the o-line. What happened today is nothing new. After over 40 years of watching Bears drafts and wondering what the Hell they were doing. We all think that JA is bad but Papa Bear made a lot of questionable moves and until his son Mugsie got involved bringing in Jim Finks we would have been struggling for decades. Lets take this for what it is until we see the players on the field. Btw Louis was an OG in college and the Bears projsect him to TE.

Every year there are guys like that who drop a ton for no apparant reason. It's easy for us to read all the mocks and think "He's a 2nd rounder who's there in the 7th!" but there's a reason why these guys aren't getting picked.

I'm guessing fans from every other team are saying something similar right now. Either the 32 general managers know something we don't, or everyone of them is retarded.

I agree with you.

I agree with you.

The fact that one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL Belichick moved down often in this draft told me that something was wrong with the talent in this draft.We passed on some guys but so did a lot of other teams did too. Watching Quan Cosby with Bill Cosby on ESPN not get drafted was really uncomfortable to watch.

I'll answer this for you and all the "Draft OL" guys.

There are a limited number of roster spots for OL both on the 53 man regular season roster and the 80 man training camp roster.

Currently they already have:

C Kreutz

G/C Garza

G/C Beekman

G Reed (drafted)

G Buenning (traded a draft pick for)

T Balogh (drafted)

T Omiyale

T Pace

T Williams

T Shaffer

Obviously the 2 guys that could conceivably be challenged are Reed and Balogh. Even if they ARE challenged in camp, there is only 1 53 man roster spot between them if we carry 9 OL on the 53. 8 is the normal number.

As for the 80 man offseason / training camp roster, there are no extra spots for OL because they don't play special teams. The majority of spots go for S, LB, and WR because they play on kickoffs.

I just wish you guys would recognize that stockpiling OL in the draft is a waste of draft picks because there just aren't the roster spots to allocate for them.

There are a limited number of roster spots for OL both on the 53 man regular season roster and the 80 man training camp roster.

C Kreutz

G/C Garza

G/C Beekman

G Reed (drafted)

T Balogh (drafted)

T Omiyale

T Pace

T Williams

T Shaffer

Obviously the 2 guys that could conceivably be challenged are Reed and Balogh. Even if they ARE challenged in camp, there is only 1 53 man roster spot between them if we carry 9 OL on the 53. 8 is the normal number.

As for the 80 man offseason / training camp roster, there are no extra spots for OL because they don't play special teams. The majority of spots go for S, LB, and WR because they play on kickoffs.

I just wish you guys would recognize that stockpiling OL in the draft is a waste of draft picks because there just aren't the roster spots to allocate for them.

The same can be said for all the WR picks. Or any position for that matter. It's never good to draft a surplus when you know it's a surplus, but the Bears still need an OG. The current OGs aren't that good; and Garza just plain sucked last year.

C Kreutz

G/C Garza

G/C Beekman

G Reed (drafted)

T Balogh (drafted)

T Omiyale

T Pace

T Williams

T Shaffer

Good reply LT2_3, and you can't have too much youth/inexperience starting especially with the addition of Cutler. I'm a draft Oline guy, but after Pace, Shaffer, and Omiyale signings there's not much room without releasing players. I will say next year we will need a G/C prospect which would be a good RD3 pick.

T Balogh (drafted)

Balogh was a UDFA, not drafted. He was my biggest surprise of last PS, even bigger than Rideau. Played pretty good at LT, much better than I had anticipated for an undrafted guy. Never really seen any good series' from Tyler though. Right now I see eight sure roster spots, and two maybes in Balogh/Reed/Louis. Louis is a PS guy, not a Reed, fan, and we could have certainly got a young guy to bring up behind our current OTs to compete with Balogh. So basically, yeah, eight is an okay number for OL depth, but it's not like 9 is over-the-top. I think most everyone like me, wanted to see on upside development OT out of the draft, but even though I despise the plug and chug that JA has adopted for our OL, I'm honestly fine with going with what we have and just waiting it out another year.

The same can be said for all the WR picks. Or any position for that matter. It's never good to draft a surplus when you know it's a surplus, but the Bears still need an OG. The current OGs aren't that good; and Garza just plain sucked last year.

No WR is different - because they can make the team as special teams players.

And as for our current Gs, I'm guessing that you are assuming that Buenning isn't that good because he hasn't beat out Garza? Has he had much time to beat out Garza since we traded for him Sept 2 2008?

Seriously - What are your thoughts on Buenning?

Balogh was a UDFA, not drafted. He was my biggest surprise of last PS, even bigger than Rideau. Played pretty good at LT, much better than I had anticipated for an undrafted guy. Never really seen any good series' from Tyler though. Right now I see eight sure roster spots, and two maybes in Balogh/Reed/Louis. Louis is a PS guy, not a Reed, fan, and we could have certainly got a young guy to bring up behind our current OTs to compete with Balogh. So basically, yeah, eight is an okay number for OL depth, but it's not like 9 is over-the-top. I think most everyone like me, wanted to see on upside development OT out of the draft, but even though I despise the plug and chug that JA has adopted for our OL, I'm honestly fine with going with what we have and just waiting it out another year.

I stand corrected on Balogh.

Although, Louis could in theory be a special teams player because he runs a 4.68 40.

No WR is different - because they can make the team as special teams players.

And as for our current Gs, I'm guessing that you are assuming that Buenning isn't that good because he hasn't beat out Garza? Has he had much time to beat out Garza since we traded for him Sept 2 2008?

Seriously - What are your thoughts on Buenning?

True, WR can play ST. But is that what the Bears have resorted to? Drafting players for their ST abilities? Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a guy who was dominant at another position versus a pretty decent guy who also has potential on ST.

As for Buenning - Moderatly pessimistic

On one hand, I feel like anyone worth a damn would have leap-frogged Garza.

On the other hand, I know how hesitant this staff is to put new blood into the lineup when they have their favorite.