Now that you know how the draft played out

jason

Now that you know how all the teams thought, and how some picks went high, and some picks dropped, what would you have done differently?

The Rules:

-No trades that didn't happen

-Picks must be made based upon players available after the Bears pick in each round

Who would you have picked?

Now that you know how all the teams thought, and how some picks went high, and some picks dropped, what would you have done differently?

The Rules:

-Picks must be made based upon players available after the Bears pick in each round

3-68 Michael Johnson DE

3-99 Juaquin Iglesias WR

4-105 David Bruton FS

4-119 DJ Moore CB

5-140 Johnny Knox WR

5-154 Marcus Freeman OLB

6-190 Vance Walker DT

7-246 Trevor Canfield OG

7-251 Derek Kinder WR

3-68 Michael Johnson DE

3-99 Juaquin Iglesias WR

4-105 David Bruton FS

4-119 DJ Moore CB

5-140 Johnny Knox WR

5-154 Marcus Freeman OLB

6-190 Vance Walker DT

7-246 Trevor Canfield OG

7-251 Derek Kinder WR

Askum....I agree especially with the first 6 picks(would have been perfect), after those picks i really dont know anything about the players u have listed.

Without the Cutler trade?

1. Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee

2. Fili Moala, DT, USC

3. Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly

3. Kaluka Maiava, OLB, USC

4. Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech

5. Chris Clemons, FS, Clemson

6. Brandon Gibson, WR, Washington State

7. Gerald Cadogan, OT, Penn State

7. Trevor Canfield, OG, Cincinnati

3-68 Michael Johnson DE

3-99 Juaquin Iglesias WR

4-105 David Bruton FS

4-119 DJ Moore CB

5-140 Johnny Knox WR

5-154 Marcus Freeman OLB

6-190 Vance Walker DT

7-246 Trevor Canfield OG

7-251 Derek Kinder WR

I like the way you are thinking. I was piecing mine together and you posted before I got it done.

3-68 Ramses Barden WR

3-99 David Bruton FS

4-105 DJ Moore CB

4-119 Tony Fiammetta FB

5-140 Duke Robinson OG

5-154 Marcus Freeman OLB

6-190 Al Afalava FS

7-246 Mitch King DE

7-251 Graham Harrell QB

I think we're gonna regret passing on Barden...

I like the way you are thinking. I was piecing mine together and you posted before I got it done.

3-68 Ramses Barden WR

3-99 David Bruton FS

4-105 DJ Moore CB

4-119 Tony Fiammetta FB

5-140 Duke Robinson OG

5-154 Marcus Freeman OLB

6-190 Al Afalava FS

7-246 Mitch King DE

7-251 Graham Harrell QB

Okay, I'm game.

3rd - Jarron Gilbert - While I am not going to pretend he would have been my pick going in, I have a hard time arguing it today. Considered one of, if not the, best value pick in the draft by many. While others available I like, just not sure any have the upside/potential and value of Gilbert.

3rd - Iglesias - One of my favorite WRs heading into the draft, and love that we got him. Gives Cutler a consistent chain mover, and will better allow Hester and Olsen to work downfield.

4th - Louis Murphy - I got my solid possession WR, and not I add my big play prospect. Nearly 6'3 200 and sub 4.4/40 speed. Building up the arsenal for Cutler.

4th - Duke Robinson - Gotta get my mauler here because I have my 5th rounder set for another player.

5th - Hamlin - I want Marideth, but only have so many picks, and I gotta get my safety. May have played SS in college, but is not a box safety, and is similar to Mike Brown in my opinion.

6th - Coye Francies - Raw CB prospect w/ upside.

7th - Derek Kinder - Actually liked this pick. Kinder was looking to be a day one prospect before the injury. Last year he played, but was not the same player. Now, two years after the injury, the gamble is he is again the player seen pre-injury. 7th round pick is worth the gamble.

7th - Harrell - Always liked him, and looking to give keep some competition for our backend depth.

The Rules:

Well, we agree on Duke (shock) and Harrell. That is about it, though I don't know much about King.

Barden isn't a bad lookng prospect, but (a) I like Iglesias better (B) I think equal value can be had later and © have to say, loving the gilbert pick.

Bruton just seems like a questionable prospect to me, and would more likely be a pure need pick.

DJ Moore is a player so many love, and I do love the value aspect, but just worry about a guy not quite 5'9 playing CB. Imagine DJ against Barden. Yikes.

I like Fiammetta, but you have to factor the staff and scheme, and I just don't think we give a crap about the FB position.

I like Freeman, but he seems like a pure WLB and a questionable fit at SLB. We already have Williams rotting behind Briggs.

HATE the Alfalfa pick. pure box safety, and we have enough of those.

3-68 Ramses Barden WR

3-99 David Bruton FS

4-105 DJ Moore CB

4-119 Tony Fiammetta FB

5-140 Duke Robinson OG

5-154 Marcus Freeman OLB

6-190 Al Afalava FS

7-246 Mitch King DE

7-251 Graham Harrell QB

nfo, can you shed some more light on Iglesias? Is there another WR now, you'd compare him to, assuming he pans out?

Okay, I'm game.

3rd - Jarron Gilbert - While I am not going to pretend he would have been my pick going in, I have a hard time arguing it today. Considered one of, if not the, best value pick in the draft by many. While others available I like, just not sure any have the upside/potential and value of Gilbert.

3rd - Iglesias - One of my favorite WRs heading into the draft, and love that we got him. Gives Cutler a consistent chain mover, and will better allow Hester and Olsen to work downfield.

4th - Louis Murphy - I got my solid possession WR, and not I add my big play prospect. Nearly 6'3 200 and sub 4.4/40 speed. Building up the arsenal for Cutler.

4th - Duke Robinson - Gotta get my mauler here because I have my 5th rounder set for another player.

5th - Hamlin - I want Marideth, but only have so many picks, and I gotta get my safety. May have played SS in college, but is not a box safety, and is similar to Mike Brown in my opinion.

6th - Coye Francies - Raw CB prospect w/ upside.

7th - Derek Kinder - Actually liked this pick. Kinder was looking to be a day one prospect before the injury. Last year he played, but was not the same player. Now, two years after the injury, the gamble is he is again the player seen pre-injury. 7th round pick is worth the gamble.

7th - Harrell - Always liked him, and looking to give keep some competition for our backend depth.

Bigger, more athletic version of Bobby Engram? Lesser talented Boldin? Somewhat similar to Hines Ward?

There is the known factor w/ Iglesias.

He uses his hands well, and gets clean sep off the LOS. Due to his lack of pure speed, I have often seen DBs move up to play tighter coverage, but he simply doesn't allow them to slow him down.

Great route runner. Love the way the cuts into, and bursts out of his breaks. I remember watching DBs running w/ him and nearly buckling at the knees trying to stop and cut w/ him.

Knows where the 1st down market. Sure it has happened, but I can't recall ever seeing him make a catch where he is just short of the 1st down market.

Finds holes in a defense. Whether it is route running, play calls, or whatever, he just seems to have a knack for getting open.

Hands - We may not be used to this in Chicago, but he plays w/ sticky glue on his hands.

The above is fairly well known. What is not as well known:

Iglesias may lack straight line speed, but he is no slow poke. Iglesias was not just a guy who came in on 3rd down to pick up the 1st. He was so much more.

Did you know that Iglesias had a 15.5 ypc average? Did you know he had 10 TDs? I don't recall the stat, but I recall watching a game their talking about his YPC stat, which was also solid. He is not going to hit many homerun, as he will eventually be caught from behind, but he does have ability after the catch. He is a solid runner w/ the ball, shows good burst after the catch, and picks up yards after the catch.

The other thing I love, and you can see this looking at his stat sheet. Every year, he furthered his development. Starting year one:

19-290-2

41-514-2

68-907-5

74-1150-10

His catches, yards and Tds continually went up. And his YPC average went up each year after his freshman year.

I just can't tell you how much I like this kid.

For a more in-depth report from a major site, check this out,

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563875

nfo, can you shed some more light on Iglesias? Is there another WR now, you'd compare him to, assuming he pans out?

Thanks for your take! I'm really unaware other than the blurbs I've been reading on the internet.

Any "poor man's" version of any of those 3 guys sounds like a plus!

Sounds like he's got great mitts and game speed.

I'm jazzed that you are!

Go Bears!

Bigger, more athletic version of Bobby Engram? Lesser talented Boldin? Somewhat similar to Hines Ward?

There is the known factor w/ Iglesias.

He uses his hands well, and gets clean sep off the LOS. Due to his lack of pure speed, I have often seen DBs move up to play tighter coverage, but he simply doesn't allow them to slow him down.

Great route runner. Love the way the cuts into, and bursts out of his breaks. I remember watching DBs running w/ him and nearly buckling at the knees trying to stop and cut w/ him.

Knows where the 1st down market. Sure it has happened, but I can't recall ever seeing him make a catch where he is just short of the 1st down market.

Finds holes in a defense. Whether it is route running, play calls, or whatever, he just seems to have a knack for getting open.

Hands - We may not be used to this in Chicago, but he plays w/ sticky glue on his hands.

The above is fairly well known. What is not as well known:

Iglesias may lack straight line speed, but he is no slow poke. Iglesias was not just a guy who came in on 3rd down to pick up the 1st. He was so much more.

Did you know that Iglesias had a 15.5 ypc average? Did you know he had 10 TDs? I don't recall the stat, but I recall watching a game their talking about his YPC stat, which was also solid. He is not going to hit many homerun, as he will eventually be caught from behind, but he does have ability after the catch. He is a solid runner w/ the ball, shows good burst after the catch, and picks up yards after the catch.

The other thing I love, and you can see this looking at his stat sheet. Every year, he furthered his development. Starting year one:

19-290-2

41-514-2

68-907-5

74-1150-10

His catches, yards and Tds continually went up. And his YPC average went up each year after his freshman year.

I just can't tell you how much I like this kid.

For a more in-depth report from a major site, check this out,

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563875

The Bears needed some way, some how, to come out of this draft with a QB, given that Orton was a FA after next season.

this is how I would play it, but remember Im not that sharp.

3a-Johnson/FS/Ala addresses one of our pressing needs

3b-Inglesias/WR like this pick

4a-Melton/DE great upside

4b- Moore/CB great valve

5a- Knox/WR could be Cutlers next Eddie Royal

5b- Fulton/OT could develope in to a reliable player

6- Follett/LB a strongside LB

7a-Hoyer/QB NE wanted him, enough said

7b-Gill/DT He aint Gilbert but still could make the rotation

erase j. gilbert and insert...

Sean Smith (CB) - 217 and 6'4"!!!

"developed into one of the best cornerbacks in the nation before leaving school a year early to enter the 2009 NFL Draft.

Has the size and closing speed to be an effective blitzer. Very quick to support the run or attack quick screens and passes in the flat. Reacts quickly on plays in front of him and finds the ball well in the air."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-t...y-round-input:6

if converted to free safety this guy would be a monster. would also leave the possibility to move one of our current cb's to free safety if he filled in at the cb position.

William Moore (FS) 223 lbs ran a 4.51 40

has had foot and shoulder injuries

1st round prospect picked in 2nd at 55 overall.

has the size and speed to play the position at the highest level.

"Max Unger (OT) Height: 6'5" Weight: 309 40 yd dash 5.35 seconds

considered one of two elite centers in the draft. ranked among nation's top 50 offensive guards. was considered by some as a late first round pick."

how much better of a prospect at center to fill kreutz's position over the next 2 years is this guy compared to beekman? for that matter how would he compare at guard to what we have while waiting to take over kreutz's position? this is who the seahawks wanted moving up with the trade. this would be a great pick in my estimation even with the glut we have of FA offensive linemen.

round 3 we still get iglasius at WR

round 4 we 'POSSIBLY' don't get DE melton. how many defensive linemen can we float on our roster? who are you going to cut in his place?

so... we now have no need for d.j. moore and can go with best player available or if angie HAS to have a DE go with l. sidbury. another possibility would be linebacker gerald mcrath who could play in or outside backer. i personally would have picked moore also or the top of the 5th round pick j. knox.

round 5 - knox if you didn't pick him in the 4th and he was still there or pick up one of the FS's left on the board. i seen no great loss missing out on an undersized injury prone weak side backer in freeman who will die on the vine behind briggs if he even makes the cut.

note: i did not watch much college ball this season so all information is strictly off of reports by those who apparently have.

erase j. gilbert and insert...

Sean Smith (CB) - 217 and 6'4"!!!

"developed into one of the best cornerbacks in the nation before leaving school a year early to enter the 2009 NFL Draft.

Has the size and closing speed to be an effective blitzer. Very quick to support the run or attack quick screens and passes in the flat. Reacts quickly on plays in front of him and finds the ball well in the air."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-t...y-round-input:6

if converted to free safety this guy would be a monster. would also leave the possibility to move one of our current cb's to free safety if he filled in at the cb position.

William Moore (FS) 223 lbs ran a 4.51 40

has had foot and shoulder injuries

1st round prospect picked in 2nd at 55 overall.

has the size and speed to play the position at the highest level.

"Max Unger (OT) Height: 6'5" Weight: 309 40 yd dash 5.35 seconds

considered one of two elite centers in the draft. ranked among nation's top 50 offensive guards. was considered by some as a late first round pick."

how much better of a prospect at center to fill kreutz's position over the next 2 years is this guy compared to beekman? for that matter how would he compare at guard to what we have while waiting to take over kreutz's position? this is who the seahawks wanted moving up with the trade. this would be a great pick in my estimation even with the glut we have of FA offensive linemen.

round 3 we still get iglasius at WR

round 4 we 'POSSIBLY' don't get DE melton. how many defensive linemen can we float on our roster? who are you going to cut in his place?

so... we now have no need for d.j. moore and can go with best player available or if angie HAS to have a DE go with l. sidbury. another possibility would be linebacker gerald mcrath who could play in or outside backer. i personally would have picked moore also or the top of the 5th round pick j. knox.

round 5 - knox if you didn't pick him in the 4th and he was still there or pick up one of the FS's left on the board. i seen no great loss missing out on an undersized injury prone weak side backer in freeman who will die on the vine behind briggs if he even makes the cut.

note: i did not watch much college ball this season so all information is strictly off of reports by those who apparently have.

Sean Smith was gone in the second round.

Instead of Melton I'd have taken Bruton or Clemons, and istead of Gilbert I might've taken Michael Johnson, only because he seems to have a true position and Gilbert seems like a tweener. Idonije has had some success in that role, but I think we'd like our early third pick to do more than Idonije.