More moves good or bAD?

Wesson44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Graham could play safety

Comment (0)

Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:16:50 -0700

Jeff Dickerson, of ESPN.com, reports Chicago Bears CB Corey Graham could be moved to free safety if CB Nathan Vasher returns to his old form.

Helluva a move. Seriously. Graham reminds me a lot of Tillman. He's listed at 6-0 193, while Peanut's 6-1 198. We always talk about moving Tillman . . . why not Graham?

The majority of the talent in the secondary is at the corner position. Two years ago, Trumaine McBride looked ok at CB. We've added Moore. We've talked about moving Bowman to FS.

Moving Graham "Fixes" the FS spot and allows for competition at the RCB position. Do it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Graham could play safety

Comment (0)

Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:16:50 -0700

Jeff Dickerson, of ESPN.com, reports Chicago Bears CB Corey Graham could be moved to free safety if CB Nathan Vasher returns to his old form.

Helluva a move. Seriously. Graham reminds me a lot of Tillman. He's listed at 6-0 193, while Peanut's 6-1 198. We always talk about moving Tillman . . . why not Graham?

The majority of the talent in the secondary is at the corner position. Two years ago, Trumaine McBride looked ok at CB. We've added Moore. We've talked about moving Bowman to FS.

Moving Graham "Fixes" the FS spot and allows for competition at the RCB position. Do it.

This tells me they may not be impressed with Bowman at safety.

Peace :dabears

This tells me they may not be impressed with Bowman at safety.

Peace :dabears

This tells me they are not putting all their eggs in one baskets: Bowman played one good game and then was lost for the season due to injury. I think this is smart to have more competition for our sore spot on "D" -- FS. I like this idea! Beside Graham is a really physical tackler and seem to do fairly well in coverage.

I'd be OK with the move, provided that either Vasher or Moore can step up opposite from Tillman. I'm not sure Graham could unseat Bullocks, necessarily, but either Bullocks/Graham or Graham/Bullocks would be better than Bullocks/Bowman. Bowman is just too fragile to be used as a safety - I'm really hoping they move him back to corner.

Graham's a better tackler than most of our other corners (aside from Peanut) and might be good enough at it to handle the transition to safety. He'd have to gain at LEAST 10-15 pounds of good weight, though. You just don't see safeties playing under 200 pounds. Ed Reed is the prototypical fast ballhawk-type safety, and even he's at least 200.

Really, if Moore can push Vasher and Graham can make the move to FS, I'd be pretty happy with our depth in the secondary. We'd have:

Right Corner: Nate Vasher, DJ Moore

Free Safety: Josh Bullocks, Corey Graham, Al Afalava

Strong Safety: Glenn Earl, Craig Steltz, Kevin Payne (unless he learns to wrap up properly)

Left Corner: Peanut Tillman, Zack Bowman

Nickel: Danieal Manning

Dime: Trumaine McBride

...that's a pretty decent secondary.

I'd be OK with the move, provided that either Vasher or Moore can step up opposite from Tillman. I'm not sure Graham could unseat Bullocks, necessarily, but either Bullocks/Graham or Graham/Bullocks would be better than Bullocks/Bowman. Bowman is just too fragile to be used as a safety - I'm really hoping they move him back to corner.

Graham's a better tackler than most of our other corners (aside from Peanut) and might be good enough at it to handle the transition to safety. He'd have to gain at LEAST 10-15 pounds of good weight, though. You just don't see safeties playing under 200 pounds. Ed Reed is the prototypical fast ballhawk-type safety, and even he's at least 200.

Really, if Moore can push Vasher and Graham can make the move to FS, I'd be pretty happy with our depth in the secondary. We'd have:

Right Corner: Nate Vasher, DJ Moore

Free Safety: Josh Bullocks, Corey Graham, Al Afalava

Strong Safety: Glenn Earl, Craig Steltz, Kevin Payne (unless he learns to wrap up properly)

Left Corner: Peanut Tillman, Zack Bowman

Nickel: Danieal Manning

Dime: Trumaine McBride

...that's a pretty decent secondary.

The really key will be if we can get more pressue on the QB from our front 4 which automatically will make our secondary better. That is why I am have the Bears address DL early in the draft when the top WR's were off the board.

What have we did yet to make a judgement on any of our players? We have to go to camp , before we can start judging players.

Great Post!

For example at Rams camp the number 2 overall pick Jason Smith drafted as a LOT is penciled in at ROT. With the amount of guaranteed money that this pick will get if he is not protecting Mark Bolger's blind side then they might as well be the Raiders who dropped big coin on their number 2 overall pick who stiil has not assumed the position he was drafted at Robert Gallery lined up at LG when he was the top LOT prospect.

What have we did yet to make a judgement on any of our players? We have to go to camp , before we can start judging players.

Instead of judging the players we don't have, why not judge the players we have? Based on the guys we have, we don't have a free safety. If we think Grahahm can play FS, make the switch.

The main problem with Bowman is that our safeties are more likely to get injured. Bowman lasted one game . . . why not switch him and Graham? Bowman can battle it out with Vasher & Moore for the #2 CB spot, and Graham can be the starting FS. I personally like that idea.

Instead of judging the players we don't have, why not judge the players we have? Based on the guys we have, we don't have a free safety. If we think Grahahm can play FS, make the switch.

The main problem with Bowman is that our safeties are more likely to get injured. Bowman lasted one game . . . why not switch him and Graham? Bowman can battle it out with Vasher & Moore for the #2 CB spot, and Graham can be the starting FS. I personally like that idea.

I think Graham is a heckuva CB prospect and filled in very well for the injured Vasher. This would give us to big CB's that both come up and force against the run. I happen to think Vasher may be on the way out if its finacially right.

I think Graham is a heckuva CB prospect and filled in very well for the injured Vasher. This would give us to big CB's that both come up and force against the run. I happen to think Vasher may be on the way out if its finacially right.

That's a heckuva a point about the big safeties. But what you're over-looking is:

1. The gaping hole we've had at safety has not improved.

2. It would cost the Bears 5 million against the cap for next year to cut Vasher. He's been bad, but not nearly bad enough to pay him 5 million to go away.

Start Graham at FS and let Vasher & Moore battle it out for the LCB job. That would leave us in pretty good shape IMO.