Cutler At Mini Camp

lemonej

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is going to take some getting used to. His arm is a huge freakin difference from Ortons. I read one person who said that Hester was going to have a heck of a lot of trouble catching the ball with Cutler at the helm because he has poor catching fundementals.

The bright side is he's going to hit guys in stride most of the time. So if our WR's can't catch, its there fault and the Bears will have to find new ones.

I do know that a lot of players when they first went to GB had trouble catching the ball in there first minicamps and stuff as they adjusted to the velocity on Favre's passes. I expect our guys to get it together.

I think it is going to take some getting used to. His arm is a huge freakin difference from Ortons. I read one person who said that Hester was going to have a heck of a lot of trouble catching the ball with Cutler at the helm because he has poor catching fundementals.

The bright side is he's going to hit guys in stride most of the time. So if our WR's can't catch, its there fault and the Bears will have to find new ones.

I do know that a lot of players when they first went to GB had trouble catching the ball in there first minicamps and stuff as they adjusted to the velocity on Favre's passes. I expect our guys to get it together.

You're right Hester does a lot of body catching and it is too late if you let the ball get that close.

Comments about Cutler's arm are similar to Farve and Elway when guys first played with them.

Guest TerraTor
If thats the case I should be able to throw through a brick wall all the 12oz curls I've done in my life.LOL

Ya with all the Pabst i killed in college, i should throw across the state of PA

In one article was a comment that Johnny Knox made some impressive catches. Of all the WRs we have he's the one guy I think would struggle with the big change in arm strength and the speed/timing of the throws against NFL DBs. Then there's Greg Olsen:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-052109.article

Earl Bennett was a popular target, and Cutler looked for tight end Greg Olsen often. Olsen bobbled one laser going across the middle and caught it as he fell. He had a drop later.

‘‘Yeah, no [kidding],’’ Olsen said when asked if there was some mustard on the throws. ‘‘Once you get adjusted [to the arm strength], it’s all the same pretty much. You just have to get your eyes around that much faster and expect it.’’

Yeah, I'm sure the receivers have some adjusting to do. Ron Turner even said he's "never been around an arm like [Cutler's]." Considering that Grossman really did have a cannon, that's saying something. I'm guessing Cutler won't have any problem cutting through the wind at Soldier Field.

I would also have expected Hester to struggle, but judging from the press about yesterday's OTAs, it sounds like he did better than most of the other receivers. From what I read, it sounded like Hester, Bennett and Olsen all had an easier time adjusting than Davis, Kinder, and Forte. Kinder, in particular, had at least three drops on the day, and it sounded like Davis dropped more than one. Knox apparently made some great catches, but I didn't hear any word on Iglesias. Does anybody know how he looked?

Just watched the OTA video and all I can say about Cutler's arm strength is that he makes a 20 yard pass look like a short drag route, that about how long the ball is in the air. I don't know about the WR but as a fan I can get used to it.

Ha!!!

But you need to get the abundance of "broads" too! From the "Cutler level" talent pool...

Back in my day I did alright since I stayed single up until I turned 26. The problem is that was 24 years and one wife ago. With a married son expecting an addition( Future Bear) and a 20 year old son in college its time for the 20 year old to build up his arm strength. LOL

I'm just loving having him on the team right now. Even if we do bad this year, or even not as good as expected, the arrow is still pointing up as Cutler is only 26.

Hell, I'd venture to say even if we don't do good this year, that might be better for out future.

I'm just loving having him on the team right now. Even if we do bad this year, or even not as good as expected, the arrow is still pointing up as Cutler is only 26.

Hell, I'd venture to say even if we don't do good this year, that might be better for out future.

Not when Denver already has the team's 1st round pick next year.

Don't even go there! :bringit We are going to take the division this year, making the Williams Wall crumble, putting an old-fashioned Halas butt whoppin' on the Puckers and bringing back nightmares of last year for the Kitties in Detroit.

I'm looking forward to what our D can accomplish with a QB that can handle all aspects of the O.

Not when Denver already has the team's 1st round pick next year.

I'm not even talking about that. If we don't make the playoffs, Lovie will for sure be canned. And personally, I'm not a big fan of this coaching staff, and I think we could use an improvement.

Don't even go there! :bringit We are going to take the division this year, making the Williams Wall crumble, putting an old-fashioned Halas butt whoppin' on the Puckers and bringing back nightmares of last year for the Kitties in Detroit.

I'm looking forward to what our D can accomplish with a QB that can handle all aspects of the O.

I'm really not that optimistic this year. I love Cutler, and he will make this team better, but we still have a ton of holes. Besides for QB, RB, TE, OT, UT, MIKE, and WILL, there isn't much depth or talent on this team.

We need a no. 1 receiver. We got some solid guys at WR, but Hester is at best a no. 2, IMO.

Our interior of the OL is still lacking a physical presence.

Not loving any of our options at FB. However, this isn't a crucial spot.

NT is a big question mark. Dusty sucks, can Harrison play the run? Adams is a decent, but not overly impressive option.

DE is by far the biggest question mark. Brown is solid. Ogunleye, outside of 1 year, has been a bust and has been declining. Anderson seems more and more like a 1 year wonder. Melton? Idonije is more a special teamer.

Only decent options at SAM. Not a crucial spot anyway.

Outside of Tillman, there is a lot of questions about the other guys.

Payne still needs to prove he's a player. Who is our FS?

I'm really not that optimistic this year. I love Cutler, and he will make this team better, but we still have a ton of holes. Besides for QB, RB, TE, OT, UT, MIKE, and WILL, there isn't much depth or talent on this team.

While I agree we have question marks, at the same time, I would also argue that we have more potential answers than in recent years. It's one thing to discuss whether Orton or Rex will step up and give you enough, and yet another when you talk about having a QB like Cutler. I also disagree on the idea that we lack depth. In fact, I would argue we look better in terms of depth than in recent memory.

We need a no. 1 receiver. We got some solid guys at WR, but Hester is at best a no. 2, IMO.

Do we have that one stud #1? No. But I think we have more talent at the WR position than in a long time, and further, would argue that with a legit QB like Cutler, the play of our WRs is most likely to elevate. I have always argued, and continue to argue, that having a stud #1 is not nearly as crucial as having a stud QB w/ quality at the WR position. I would much rather have a stud QB and a bunch of #2 WRs over a stud WR and a mediocre QB.

Interior OL is a question mark, yet at the same time, I would argue we have taken steps to upgrade. Whether or not those additions truly equal improvement will be answered down the road, yet again, at least we have potential answers in place. Omiyale is a bigger interior player than we have had in the past, and helps bring that potential physical presence. Further, if our bookends are upgraded, which appears to be the case, I think it has a bit of a domino effect. If you have solid play by your LT, it makes the job of the LG much easier.

Also, w/ the QB/RB combo we have, the job of the OL becomes a bit easier. It will be harder for defenses to attack the LOS, as we have seen in recent years, with a QB like Cutler under center. And we have a RB which can (a) hit the hole quickly and (B) squeeze through smaller holes.

I am not saying our OL was good in recent years, but would argue that w/ the passing game we had, it was made to look worse as defenses stacked the box and attacked the LOS w/ more defenders. The OL could look much better simply by having a QB forces defesnes to play more honest.

Agreed FB is more than just a question mark, but in fact a legit hole, but as you said, not a crucial position on our team.

NT is a big question mark. Dusty sucks, can Harrison play the run? Adams is a decent, but not overly impressive option.

Sure, NT is a question mark, but (a) we have potential young answers (B) if the youth doesn't pan out, we have a decent player at minimum in Adams and © we have a coach in place who can get more out of players.

DE is by far the biggest question mark. Brown is solid. Ogunleye, outside of 1 year, has been a bust and has been declining. Anderson seems more and more like a 1 year wonder. Melton? Idonije is more a special teamer.

Again, the Marinelli argument. I have always believed our problems on the DL had as much, if not more, to do w/ the coaching than purely about the personnel. Also, I disagree w/ the comment that Wale has been a bust outside of one season. I would agree he has not lived up to expectations, but that is not the same as saying he has been a bust. He had two seasons w/ solid sack numbers (10 & 9) and in the other three seasons, his sack totals were 5, 6.5 and 5. You say Brown is solid, but Brown's sack totals are not much better than Wale's off seasons. I think Wale gets a lot of crap due to expectations as much as actual play. If Marinelli can upgrade the DL as a whole, I think Wale could see double digit sacks this year.

One, I am really hoping we sign Pisa, which would IMHO change this question mark. Two, as you said, not a crucial position, as this is not even an every down position.

Actually agreed. However, we did just draft a highly touted CB, and further, you again have the coaching element. Also, another domino effect position. If we get improved pass rush from the DL, the DBs will look much better.

No argument here. While I like some of the potential answers at many positions, Safety is less so. I don't like any option at SS. At FS, the hope is (a) Bullocks can look good in our system (B) an improved pass rush eases the burden on the FS and © Graham can develop into a legit FS, though that make not be until 2010.

Back to the original point though. Every team in the league faces question marks. To me, a crucial key is whether or not a team has potential answers for the question marks. We have a few spots which I don't really even care for the potential answers (FB, SS) but many, if not most, questions have pretty solid potential answers.

Also, if you look at the individual parts, it may not look as good as if you take a step back and look at the team as a whole.

Should the offense be better? I think most would say yes. We may still lack in some areas, but for once, we have a legit QB w/ solid potential receivers. Further, we have an OL which should, at minimum, be an upgrade from last year, and a very good looking RB.

Should the defense be better? I would say yes, if for no other reason, than the demotion of Babich, who I still believe caused more holes in our defense than talent alone.

I expect better in most years. Although last year was not one of those years. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome, given the lack of talent I percieved us to have on the offensive side of the ball. Now, add Cutler, Pace, Omaliye, Shaffer, Gaines, Bullocks, draft picks and coach Marinelli and the question is:

Who'd we lose that anyone else has shown interest in?

We've upgraded QB, WR, OL, DL, DB and coaching. Don't forget, that we are 20 mil under the cap still as a sign that Angelo is NOT done upgrading talent. I think Lovie has set a tone this off-season by making chages to the off-season program, plus taking control of the defense and putting fat cat players on notice with the help of Angelo. Lovie has placed his neck squarely on the chopping block. Don't underestimate motivation by fear and by hope. I expect the defense as a unit to work hard this off-season out of shame and pride, while the offense continues to grow with more talent, hope and confidence.

I'll be shocked if we are less than a contender.

We went 9-7 last year playing a tougher schedule than we'll face this year. We have upgraded our lines and our QB position. With the coaches that are out there and available who have WON SBs, Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, Shanahan, THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR. No, Lovie will not be given a pass and I'll take it so far as to say if we flounder early, we could shitcan Lovie before week 8.