Cutler not signing autographs?

nfoligno

Just saw this on PFT. I never saw this on the Trib, and even when I looked at Haugh's articles, didn't see it. Either it was taken down, is a piece of another article and I missed it, or I am just blind. Last option the most likely.

Honestly, just not a big deal for me. I always thought it was crap that a star can't go into public w/o people getting in their face for autographs. Anyway, here is the piece,

Cutler Alienating Bears Fans?

Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 31, 2009, 4:44 p.m.

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, the rocket-armed Pro Bowl passer acquired this offseason in a blockbuster trade from the Denver Broncos, apparently isn’t making himself very popular with the local fan base.

According to David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune, Cutler is turning off some fans by refusing to sign autographs while attending Chicago Cubs baseball games.

“I know Cutler already has alienated enough small pockets of fans at various appearances in Chicago to produce a flurry of furious e-mails, such as the one from a guy at Wrigley Field last week who criticized the quarterback for waving off autograph seekers,” Haugh writes. “Generally speaking, the same folks complaining about Cutler’s insouciant behavior will be cheering him on his first 350-yard Sunday. Sure, Cutler could do himself some favors by exuding more charm or suffering the occasional fool with a little less outward disdain.

“But those who have been Bears fans for two decades or two generations, need to remember Cutler has been here for two months. There will be and has been a degree of culture shock. Denver isn’t Chicago. Eventually, Cutler will adjust because he will learn life is easier that way in this tradition-rich football city. If he doesn’t, then he will get what he deserves. But it’s too early in his tenure to predict that.”

As Haugh correctly pointed out, Cutler just got to town. Plus, football isn’t a popularity contest.

It’s a game of skill and will.

Nonetheless, this piece of information does tend to reinforce the bad reputation that Cutler gained during his messy divorce from the Denver Broncos.

Besides working on throwing touchdown passes, Cutler might want to sign a few autographs.

I agree with you...I don't put any stock into this right now.

If we keep hearing about this or that he was a reall ass to fans, then maybe it could hurt his image a bit.

McMahon was known for similar...and playing hard and winning will cover up any issue someone has w/ not getting an ink blot during a baseball game!

To me, it sounds like Cutler might have blown off Haugh!

And in all honesty, as long as he politely declines autographs, that's his perrogative! I've already got mine! (Bought a ball with his sig from his days w/ the Broncos...thankfully, just his sig and no mention or pix of Denver)

Just saw this on PFT. I never saw this on the Trib, and even when I looked at Haugh's articles, didn't see it. Either it was taken down, is a piece of another article and I missed it, or I am just blind. Last option the most likely.

Honestly, just not a big deal for me. I always thought it was crap that a star can't go into public w/o people getting in their face for autographs. Anyway, here is the piece,

Cutler Alienating Bears Fans?

Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 31, 2009, 4:44 p.m.

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, the rocket-armed Pro Bowl passer acquired this offseason in a blockbuster trade from the Denver Broncos, apparently isn’t making himself very popular with the local fan base.

According to David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune, Cutler is turning off some fans by refusing to sign autographs while attending Chicago Cubs baseball games.

“I know Cutler already has alienated enough small pockets of fans at various appearances in Chicago to produce a flurry of furious e-mails, such as the one from a guy at Wrigley Field last week who criticized the quarterback for waving off autograph seekers,” Haugh writes. “Generally speaking, the same folks complaining about Cutler’s insouciant behavior will be cheering him on his first 350-yard Sunday. Sure, Cutler could do himself some favors by exuding more charm or suffering the occasional fool with a little less outward disdain.

“But those who have been Bears fans for two decades or two generations, need to remember Cutler has been here for two months. There will be and has been a degree of culture shock. Denver isn’t Chicago. Eventually, Cutler will adjust because he will learn life is easier that way in this tradition-rich football city. If he doesn’t, then he will get what he deserves. But it’s too early in his tenure to predict that.”

As Haugh correctly pointed out, Cutler just got to town. Plus, football isn’t a popularity contest.

It’s a game of skill and will.

Nonetheless, this piece of information does tend to reinforce the bad reputation that Cutler gained during his messy divorce from the Denver Broncos.

Besides working on throwing touchdown passes, Cutler might want to sign a few autographs.

I agree with you...I don't put any stock into this right now.

If we keep hearing about this or that he was a reall ass to fans, then maybe it could hurt his image a bit.

McMahon was known for similar...and playing hard and winning will cover up any issue someone has w/ not getting an ink blot during a baseball game!

To me, it sounds like Cutler might have blown off Haugh!

And in all honesty, as long as he politely declines autographs, that's his perrogative! I've already got mine! (Bought a ball with his sig from his days w/ the Broncos...thankfully, just his sig and no mention or pix of Denver)

I doesn't bother me one bit. If I was Cutler I probably also would blow off Autographs. Some of these fans make it seem like Cutler has to sign these. Its his option to sign or not. I was at the Bears Expo and I can tell you that he did sign Autographs there in a line but even after the Q & A session he stayed after for a few minutes to sign. It sucks that athletes can not go out and enjoy a night out on the town or even take in a local sporting event without being hounded.

Hey, there have been alot of guys who didn't sign autographs in Chicago. I've heard plenty of stories about Michael jordan refusing over the years at celebrity functions like golf tournaments. Who cares? If the Bears want the guy to spend his life signing autographs, fine, set it up for a time and place. I don't blame him for not wanting to be bothered at a Cub game although what the hell he was doing at a cubs game is a bit odd since there is a professional team he can watch on the other side of town whose fans are a bit more respectable.

Nice addition of the Expo info! Funny how that isn't mentioned in the article!

I'm convinced, Cutler told Haugh he isn't signing his notepad!

I doesn't bother me one bit. If I was Cutler I probably also would blow off Autographs. Some of these fans make it seem like Cutler has to sign these. Its his option to sign or not. I was at the Bears Expo and I can tell you that he did sign Autographs there in a line but even after the Q & A session he stayed after for a few minutes to sign. It sucks that athletes can not go out and enjoy a night out on the town or even take in a local sporting event without being hounded.

Anyone ever watched Punk'd? I hate to admit it, but while I have only seen a handful of episodes, it usually cracks me up.

Anyone, this topic reminded me of one of the shows. Dirk Nowiski (Dallas Mavs) was having Dinner in San Antonio after a game. They have a kid ask him for an autograph, and Dirk doesn't even hesitate. Then, a short bit later, they have the kid show back up w/ 2 large, bulging out shopping bags of basketball merchandise. The kid (w/ his mom) says he ran to the nearest sporting goods store and bought everything they could. Dirk looks dumb-founded, but actually begins to sign. He signs pretty much everything in the bags, including other team and other player (like a Kobe jersey) merchandise, and then sends the kid on his merry way. A short bit later, while eating a steak, the kid returns w/ more stuff. Finally, Dirk says now, but even then, is nice as can be. Kid upset, tells mom, and the manager comes out and ends up asking Dirk to leave because he won't give a little kid some autographs. Dirk can't believe he is being made out to be the bad guy. Finally, Ashton walks up and big laughs.

Gotta laugh at this thought. How much shorter would that "joke" have been if the kid asked Cutler for an autograph :)

Ha!

That sounds like one of the better one of those!

Anyone ever watched Punk'd? I hate to admit it, but while I have only seen a handful of episodes, it usually cracks me up.

Anyone, this topic reminded me of one of the shows. Dirk Nowiski (Dallas Mavs) was having Dinner in San Antonio after a game. They have a kid ask him for an autograph, and Dirk doesn't even hesitate. Then, a short bit later, they have the kid show back up w/ 2 large, bulging out shopping bags of basketball merchandise. The kid (w/ his mom) says he ran to the nearest sporting goods store and bought everything they could. Dirk looks dumb-founded, but actually begins to sign. He signs pretty much everything in the bags, including other team and other player (like a Kobe jersey) merchandise, and then sends the kid on his merry way. A short bit later, while eating a steak, the kid returns w/ more stuff. Finally, Dirk says now, but even then, is nice as can be. Kid upset, tells mom, and the manager comes out and ends up asking Dirk to leave because he won't give a little kid some autographs. Dirk can't believe he is being made out to be the bad guy. Finally, Ashton walks up and big laughs.

Gotta laugh at this thought. How much shorter would that "joke" have been if the kid asked Cutler for an autograph :)

Is anyone worse at signing autographs then Urlacher? At training camp he refuses to even walk out with the rest of the players. Instead he has a golf-cart sneak him in the back. The only time I ever saw him come out with the team was when they were visiting the Rams TC at Western Il Univ. He was surrounded by 6 other players, and if I remember correctly he was wearing a helmet. Very strange.

As long as he produces, nobody gives a damn.

Loved the Nowitski story.

Doesn't bother me a bit. As a previous post said, he signs sometimes. Why should he have to sign all the time? He hasn't even done anything here yet, so maybe being put up on such a pedastal everywhere he goes makes him uncomfortable. Hard to keep your focus that way.

Is anyone worse at signing autographs then Urlacher? At training camp he refuses to even walk out with the rest of the players. Instead he has a golf-cart sneak him in the back. The only time I ever saw him come out with the team was when they were visiting the Rams TC at Western Il Univ. He was surrounded by 6 other players, and if I remember correctly he was wearing a helmet. Very strange.

Urlacher was also signing autographs at the Bears Fan Expo. BTW the last time I checked the Cubs still have a better record than "the team on the other side of town"

BTW the last time I checked the Cubs still have a better record than "the team on the other side of town"

Last time I checked, it has been over 100 years since the Cubs won the World Series, so I don't think a half game better this year matters much.

Url was actually very good at signing autographs his rookie yr. At Platteville, he signed autographs and was very outgoing. I would assume the negative press over time has jaded him a bit. However, alot of that negative press is his own fault.

Peace :dabears

I hope all the Bears and for that matter all sports players stop signing autographs . Its a stupid tradition and only gives losers something to talk about beyond their nerd role playing card games. I don't have a problem with little kids asking but there almost always seems to be some creepy guy behind the kid pushing him to ask. I think it would be best to just stop it all together.

Damn that is harsh. I'm not a big collector, but I do have a few autographs.

IMHO, the problem (and many players talk about this) is not those who seek autographs for personal reasons, but those who seek autographs for profit. Those who want an autographed football to put on Ebay, or they run a sports collectors store. Further, the problem is these individuals too often send kids to the players to get signitures.

I don't want to just do away w/ autographs. I have a few signitures which I am pretty thrilled to have, and can't wait until my son is old enough to pass it along.

I get that there is a problem, but I don't think you need to fix the problem by eliminating autographs all together.

I hope all the Bears and for that matter all sports players stop signing autographs . Its a stupid tradition and only gives losers something to talk about beyond their nerd role playing card games. I don't have a problem with little kids asking but there almost always seems to be some creepy guy behind the kid pushing him to ask. I think it would be best to just stop it all together.

Realistically, it'll never happen.

I swear the Fridge would be on welfare if he wasn't able to sign autographs...

I for one love 'em the loser that I am. It started as a kid, and like many things, I never grew out of it. I have never once asked a player/celeb for an autograph. I only obtain them when they are officially "signing" or at camp when it is appropriate to do so. But, nor do I have any issue shaking their hand and letting them know I am impressed with their work/skills. In fact, by getting things signed, etc, I found many to be so nice and the experience to be so rewarding, that I became a greater fan. However, the opposite never held true for me. If a player didn't want to sign, etc...I never thought less.

I just remember one year recently while seeing the Cargers training camp, Doug Flutie was signing autographs for kids and adults. He was very freindly to us old guys, but when a kid brought his in, he took a number of minutes just talking to them. The man was all class.

I couldn't agree more nfo...

Anytime I can get my name on it or my dad's for instance, I do it! That way it's ours! And the implication is that it won't be sold on ebay...only given to family.

It's throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

Damn that is harsh. I'm not a big collector, but I do have a few autographs.

IMHO, the problem (and many players talk about this) is not those who seek autographs for personal reasons, but those who seek autographs for profit. Those who want an autographed football to put on Ebay, or they run a sports collectors store. Further, the problem is these individuals too often send kids to the players to get signitures.

I don't want to just do away w/ autographs. I have a few signitures which I am pretty thrilled to have, and can't wait until my son is old enough to pass it along.

I get that there is a problem, but I don't think you need to fix the problem by eliminating autographs all together.

That would actually be a good way to limit, not eliminate, those seeking signitures for profit. Signed items are far less valuable when both names are attacked. To my best friend, Nick. Mike Singletary. That sort of thing. If players are instructed to always attached a name to it, i think we would see fewer profit seekers.

I couldn't agree more nfo...

Anytime I can get my name on it or my dad's for instance, I do it! That way it's ours! And the implication is that it won't be sold on ebay...only given to family.

It's throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

Agreed! That's one reason I always did that...kind of puts the player at ease that it's not going right up to auction.

I have a few gems from musicians that i just love to this day... I used to run a music fanzine in college and was lucky to interview a few bands and the one funny gem that I have in my office is Lemmy of Motorhead signing it, "F*** you Andy, Lemmy" (with the f word spelled out in all its glory). Even the wife likes that one! She says it often enough!

That would actually be a good way to limit, not eliminate, those seeking signitures for profit. Signed items are far less valuable when both names are attacked. To my best friend, Nick. Mike Singletary. That sort of thing. If players are instructed to always attached a name to it, i think we would see fewer profit seekers.

I had an aunt that passes away some time back, and I was given a box filled w/ signed photos that she had collected over the years. I couldn't believe some of what was in there. Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles, Lennon, etc. I couldn't believe it.

Many duplicates were in there too. I kept a single copy of many, and gave up the rest to the family. They were sold, and the money was used for a big family reunion. It was pretty cool.

Agreed! That's one reason I always did that...kind of puts the player at ease that it's not going right up to auction.

I have a few gems from musicians that i just love to this day... I used to run a music fanzine in college and was lucky to interview a few bands and the one funny gem that I have in my office is Lemmy of Motorhead signing it, "F*** you Andy, Lemmy" (with the f word spelled out in all its glory). Even the wife likes that one! She says it often enough!

Wow! That's pretty cool!

I've got quite a few over the years I'm almost on the verge of running out of display space...

I had an aunt that passes away some time back, and I was given a box filled w/ signed photos that she had collected over the years. I couldn't believe some of what was in there. Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles, Lennon, etc. I couldn't believe it.

Many duplicates were in there too. I kept a single copy of many, and gave up the rest to the family. They were sold, and the money was used for a big family reunion. It was pretty cool.