Peanut has back surgery

AZ54

This doesn't bode well for our secondary.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5877777.story

Things like this drives me nuts. If he was needing this surgery, did they not know until now? Couldn't this have been taken care of in January or February?

I am not too worried, I like Bowman, Graham could be switched backj to CB, and DJ Moore looks promising. It is just that the timing drives me crazy.

Reports from CSN's Twitter say they expect him back by the final pre-season game.

I hope that's correct. I just remember Chris Williams getting injured on the first day of training camp, and he wasn't back until week 8 or 9. Maybe Chris Williams had a worse injury or maybe playing tackle made it more difficult.

Having the opportunity to shut him down for 6 weeks to make sure he's more then ready to go might make sense. Of course it depends on his progress.

Guest TerraTor
I hope that's correct. I just remember Chris Williams getting injured on the first day of training camp, and he wasn't back until week 8 or 9. Maybe Chris Williams had a worse injury or maybe playing tackle made it more difficult.

Having the opportunity to shut him down for 6 weeks to make sure he's more then ready to go might make sense. Of course it depends on his progress.

I think Chris Williams actually had a prolapsed disc from contact.have a longer recovery time. Plus u imagine a OL would Sounds like Tillman was having discomfort and probably team docs figured it should get shaved a bit. Either way doesnt sound like much of anything other than him missing preseason games, oh well. Worst case scenario is we see more of Danneal Manning, yikes!

Really odd timing to say the least. Hard to imagine this was a new injury.

It's hard to believe that this was something that anyone knew about beforehand. From the articles I've been reading--see Brad Briggs, SunTimes--the Secondary is one of our big questionmarks. Though Peanut was lauded as our anchar back there. That tells me it was not previously known, not outside of Halas Hall, at least.

But hey, we've got the coaches now on D so they will be abe to work out the pecking order. And Vasher needs to get back to form this season or else.

It's hard to believe that this was something that anyone knew about beforehand. From the articles I've been reading--see Brad Briggs, SunTimes--the Secondary is one of our big questionmarks. Though Peanut was lauded as our anchar back there. That tells me it was not previously known, not outside of Halas Hall, at least.

But hey, we've got the coaches now on D so they will be abe to work out the pecking order. And Vasher needs to get back to form this season or else.

I really question the timing of this. And if this is a new injury how did this happen.

I fully agree w your assessment Pix.

Things like this drives me nuts. If he was needing this surgery, did they not know until now? Couldn't this have been taken care of in January or February?

I am not too worried, I like Bowman, Graham could be switched backj to CB, and DJ Moore looks promising. It is just that the timing drives me crazy.

Sounds like it, and I think that is what the Sun Times is saying, though they are more than likely speculating themselves.

Honestly, I have to say I am a bit surprised w/ regard to Bullocks. Though he struggled in NO after they changed schemes, when we signed him, I thought it was the sort of deal where we are adding a veteran w/ upside on the cheap. He seemed to me sort of like a Thomas Jones signing. Yet since we signed him, he seems like a near after-thought. Whenever you read about the FS position, it always seemed to talk the most about Steltz and Graham. Bullocks seemed to be little more than an after-thought/ depth chart guy. I don't know if he simply hasn't looked good in practices, or if the staff really just never felt he was a potential starter.

It looks right now like the job is Steltz' to lose, which IMHO, is going to put more pressure on the corners. Frankly, it still comes down to the pass rush. If Marinelli can work magic and get our DL to pressure the QB, it may not matter nearly as much who our FS is. If our DL struggles again, it still may not matter who our FS is, but for a very different reason.

Does this give Steltza clear shot at FS ??? uugh

That tells me it was not previously known, not outside of Halas Hall, at least.

Well, from what I just read, Tillman actually had his surgury 2 weeks ago. That means for the last two weeks, the team has known about how long Tillman would be out, and yet were able to keep that in-house.

I think it very possible they knew there were potential issues w/ his back, but everyone (Tillman and team) were likely hoping it would be okay w/o surgury, but "after it flared up" realized surgury was going to be necessary.

I think it was a 6-12 week recovery, but the report didn't come out until 2 weeks after, thus 4-10 week recovery from now.

I think that's right. However, if they can't get Tillman off the PUP list by September 5th, he'll have to miss the first six weeks of the season regardless of recovery time. That'll be pretty bad. The Falcons, Seahawks, and Packers could give us a lot of trouble without Peanut. Even the Lions could be a problem: who're we going to put on Calvin Johnson? Corey Graham isn't the cover corner that Tillman is; meanwhile, Vasher's 7 inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter than Johnson.

I like all of our young corners, but losing Tillman sucks. This secondary was already a problem, and now literally every position is a question mark. Vasher needs to return to form and stay healthy, Kevin Payne needs to learn to tackle and stay healthy, and both Graham and Steltz need to prove that they're starting-caliber players. I'm not saying our guys can't do it, because I think they have a lot of potential. I'm just saying that we don't have a single known quantity in the secondary. That makes me nervous.

I think that's right. However, if they can't get Tillman off the PUP list by September 5th, he'll have to miss the first six weeks of the season regardless of recovery time. That'll be pretty bad. The Falcons, Seahawks, and Packers could give us a lot of trouble without Peanut. Even the Lions could be a problem: who're we going to put on Calvin Johnson? Corey Graham isn't the cover corner that Tillman is; meanwhile, Vasher's 7 inches shorter and 60 pounds lighter than Johnson.

Last year, didn't we carry Williams on the roster, even though he couldn't play? I think it a near lock Tillman does not go on the PUP list, but when he will actually be able to play is another story.

I like all of our young corners, but losing Tillman sucks. This secondary was already a problem, and now literally every position is a question mark. Vasher needs to return to form and stay healthy, Kevin Payne needs to learn to tackle and stay healthy, and both Graham and Steltz need to prove that they're starting-caliber players. I'm not saying our guys can't do it, because I think they have a lot of potential. I'm just saying that we don't have a single known quantity in the secondary. That makes me nervous.

No argument. I will say though, IMHO, it is still all about the DL. If the DL can create havoc and pressure the QB, the job of the secondary is simply so much easier. If the DL can't get it done, it may not matter whether Tillman is healthy or not.

I think Chris McCallister is availible???

According to ESPN and the Bears' website, Danieal Manning is now the starting FS after Peanut's back surgery. When the Bears use the nickel package, however, Manning will move to nickel corner and Steltz will replace him at FS. Lovie says it's just an effort to get all their best players on the field, but I think this means that Corey Graham is probably moving back to corner.

I think Chris McCallister is availible???

I wouldn't mind picking him up if we're going to PUP Tillman. McAlister's probably only good for 6 games anyway; we could play him through week 5, then release him and take Tillman off the list after the bye week.

That said, the Bears have had much better luck with their young/rookie corners than most teams, and Jerry Angelo has a great track record when it comes to picking good defensive backs in the middle-to-late rounds. If they do move Graham back to corner, I'd feel OK about our young guys. Graham's not as good in coverage as Tillman, but he looked to be improving some last year, and he's about as good a tackler as Peanut is (which is saying something.)

At the very least, Graham's a known quantity at corner: his play last season gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. He's not going to be a shutdown cover man, but he doesn't have any glaring liabilities, and he's really pretty good against the run. If Vasher or Bowman can step up, we could have a decent pair of corners even without Tillman.

Hoke better get in D.J. Moore's face and tell him this is his opportunity. He didn't fare well in the OTAs but that isn't the end of the world, lots of rookies don't. The impression I got is he seemed to be arrogant that he would just be able to play the role based on his athletic ability. Lots of college players make that mistake. Last year Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (of the Cardinals) said that's how he approached the game and he didn't really start studying film until about week 10. His play improved quite a bit at the end of the season. Has Moore learned his lesson and is he ready to study up and learn how to play CB in the NFL?