2009 Bourbonnais Thread

Brian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As they always say the first thing that goes is your memory with age. Sorry everyone I forgot to mention that WR Devin Aromashodu looked pretty good yesterday. There are 10 WRs in camp and since they are using some 3 WR sets I could see them keeping 6 or 7. Hester,Bennett,Knox,Iglesias,Rideau and Aromashodo. I can see them keeping 4 TEs Olsen,Clark,Davis and Gaines(Blocking). I'm thinking that the fullback position is where they will limit depth and I wouldn't be surprised if they only kept one and used TEs more in an H-back role as a lead blocker.

I dug up this old post from Aug 4th the day after I went to TC and it seems now since Cutler has been mentioning his name everyone is noticing.

You were already seeing it back then and Rashied Davis didn't make your list!

Unfortunately for Rashied I was making jokes with other fans about being the guy who would volunteer to drive him to the airport. My whole thought process is that he is as good as he is going to be and there is no improvement since the first year he switched to offense. You saw dramatic improvement in Hester from year to year and he seems to be even more polished than last season. I just don't see that with Davis. The other thing not in his favor is his height. In previous years the Bears have tried to bring in taller WRs with speed since JA has been the GM and the shorter guys they have had have been cut if they were not sure handed or versatile. Translation: Bobby Wade( who has a hard on for the Bears) and Bobby Engram are similar body and skill styles and both were sent packing by JA. Guys like Moose, Brandon Lloyd and Marty Booker were all considered Big WRs and these are the guys that JA has targeted. Now you see the likes of Brandon Rideau and Aromahado that have nice height plus the size of their TEs and you can see that the Bears may be trying to get more physical at the WR spot like when the Bears drafted guys like Booker and Marcus Robinson who we have been trying to replace every since he left.

I remember that joke, I laughed when I read it. I think Rashied has got better after his first year but not enough. He's not very big so speed is his main asset but he doesn't have any shiftiness to go with it. When you have a little WR you expect him to make some plays on his own and that's rarely the case with Davis.

In either case I totally agree we know exactly what we have with him and there just is no upside. If these young guys perform close to what he does then I think we need to go in that direction regardless of the loss of experience. Special teams will be a factor but in the end you have WRs on the team to catch passes on offense, not to tackle on kickoffs. Translation: Teach someone else how to play on special teams. It's going to be interesting to see how the young guns play in the preseason games and when exactly they get in the game.

Cutler completed a very impressive 50 yard (in the air) pass to Olsen which he caught perfectly in-stride.

Also, watch out for the wildcat this year. Today, Forte got it on a toss and threw it to Aromashodu for the TD.

I didn't know that Forte could throw. Can Hester throw? We try different packages like a reverse to Hester where he then throws to Bennett or Forte down field.

I didn't know that Forte could throw. Can Hester throw? We try different packages like a reverse to Hester where he then throws to Bennett or Forte down field.

There was a play where Forte got it on a toss and flipped it to Hester for a reverse. Cutler went infront of Hester downfield and threw a block.

Here's some pics from the 3 pm practice on Thursday 8-13-09. Greg Olsen didn't practice today. The rookie CB DJ Moore had 2 picks and Vasher had another off of a tipped ball that the WR should've caught (didn't catch the WR's #). Some of the national media were there - Peter King of CNNSI, Charley Casserly of the NFL Network, and Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly.

Pisa Tinoisamoa being interviewed after practice:

Bearbonnais2029.jpg

Charley Casserly & Jay Cutler:

Bearbonnais2032.jpg

Alex Brown signing autographs - he's been one of the friendliest of the players. Chatted w/fans both before and after practice, signed tons of autographs. Other big autograph signers over the 2 practices I've been too were Matt Forte and Tommie Harris. Lovie even signed a few autographs today.

Bearbonnais2039.jpg

Peter King & Hester:

Bearbonnais2041.jpg

Charlie Casserly:

Bearbonnais2045.jpg

Lovie Smith:

Bearbonnais2046.jpg

Forte:

Bearbonnais2047.jpg