Bears Answer Back

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=3131

Briggs answers Houshmandzadeh

Bob LeGere of the Daily Herald reports four-time Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs had a quick response to Seahawks wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh's vow to show Bears GM Jerry Angelo what he missed by not signing the former Bengal when he was a free agent last off-season.

"He sounds like a bitter guy," Briggs said. "Maybe he wanted to play in Chicago. If he's going to show what he's going to do on Sunday, I'll tell you what: 'So are we, so am I.' I've been playing against T.J. since college, so I know what type of competitor he is. The guy can play. But his personal feelings toward us, I could care less."

Houshmandzadeh was at Oregon State while Briggs was at Arizona. The Seahawks' wide receiver also claimed that he could beat Bears cornerbacks 95 percent of the time.

"I'll take a Bears corner over Houshmandzadeh any day," Briggs said.

http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=3131

Briggs answers Houshmandzadeh

Bob LeGere of the Daily Herald reports four-time Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs had a quick response to Seahawks wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh's vow to show Bears GM Jerry Angelo what he missed by not signing the former Bengal when he was a free agent last off-season.

"He sounds like a bitter guy," Briggs said. "Maybe he wanted to play in Chicago. If he's going to show what he's going to do on Sunday, I'll tell you what: 'So are we, so am I.' I've been playing against T.J. since college, so I know what type of competitor he is. The guy can play. But his personal feelings toward us, I could care less."

Houshmandzadeh was at Oregon State while Briggs was at Arizona. The Seahawks' wide receiver also claimed that he could beat Bears cornerbacks 95 percent of the time.

"I'll take a Bears corner over Houshmandzadeh any day," Briggs said.

I am fairly sure this is something Url would never say. Meet the new leader of your defense.

Peace :dabears

I think Briggs has always been more vocal. W/ Urlacher, you always hear about how he leads by example, but he was never one to "rally the troops." I always hated listening to Urlacher talk about a Packers game being just another game. Frankly, that always ticked me off. W/ Briggs, I always read stories about how he was more vocal. He is the sort to play practical jokes and do more in the locker room.

The question to be answered, IMHO, is the level at which he can display leadership on the field. IMHO, we have not had a field general since Mike Brown began to go down with injuries. Few would question he was our field general, but Brown said himself that once the injuries began, he didn't feel comfortable being vocal. Other than Brown, we may have some "lead by example" sorts, but we really have not had any field generals.

Ironically, the player who I have read about stepping up is our rookie DB. I have read about Afalava yelling to teamates to line up here or there, and calling out plays and such. Especially considering his rookie status, that is pretty surprising.

I am fairly sure this is something Url would never say. Meet the new leader of your defense.

Peace :dabears

I think Briggs has always been more vocal. W/ Urlacher, you always hear about how he leads by example, but he was never one to "rally the troops." I always hated listening to Urlacher talk about a Packers game being just another game. Frankly, that always ticked me off. W/ Briggs, I always read stories about how he was more vocal. He is the sort to play practical jokes and do more in the locker room.

The question to be answered, IMHO, is the level at which he can display leadership on the field. IMHO, we have not had a field general since Mike Brown began to go down with injuries. Few would question he was our field general, but Brown said himself that once the injuries began, he didn't feel comfortable being vocal. Other than Brown, we may have some "lead by example" sorts, but we really have not had any field generals.

Ironically, the player who I have read about stepping up is our rookie DB. I have read about Afalava yelling to teamates to line up here or there, and calling out plays and such. Especially considering his rookie status, that is pretty surprising.

NFO if that is the case that sounds great. The secondary needs a vocal leader who can back it up with his play and so far Alfalava has done his part. You hear Wale talking but he seems analytical and Alex Brown is inconsistent with his leadership and so far he has been quiet this year. The talking heads on the tube have been Cutler,Wale,Olsen and Bowman here in Chitown.Some of our veterans have been quiet this year which may be a good thing.

I think of Briggs like a nest full of Hornets, he doesn't buzz unless stir him up.

Leadership has been a bit of a pet thing of mine for years. I basically grew up on the Bears of the 80s and Singletary. I have heard many times Buddy Ryan and others say that if it were not for Mike, that defense would have never worked the way it did.

For me, having a field general, coach on the field, whatever you want to call it, is huge. When Mike Brown was healthy, he was such a leader. You would see him back there calling out plays, but just as important, yelling to other players where they should be lining up, or to watch for something specific, or whatever. Other than Brown though, I have never felt we had a leader in the sense I would look for.

Urlacher has been our defensive captain, but again, he was always referred to as a lead by example guy. That is great, but just not the same as a guy who would make sure a young player near him would be in the right position, or let him know not only that he messed up, but how to correct it.

Brown, Wale and others have been similar. They have solid character. They show solid work ethic and they lead by example, but little more.

Briggs has always been a locker room guy, and the hope is w/ Urlacher out, he takes it to another level on the field, but I am not too optimistic. IMHO, either you have it or you don't. I do not believe you can make yourself that sort of leader. That is why I am so hoping Afalava may be that player. If he feels confident enough as a rookie to step into that role, what happens as he gains experience? That is an exciting question for me.

NFO if that is the case that sounds great. The secondary needs a vocal leader who can back it up with his play and so far Alfalava has done his part. You hear Wale talking but he seems analytical and Alex Brown is inconsistent with his leadership and so far he has been quiet this year. The talking heads on the tube have been Cutler,Wale,Olsen and Bowman here in Chitown.Some of our veterans have been quiet this year which may be a good thing.

I think of Briggs like a nest full of Hornets, he doesn't buzz unless stir him up.

Leadership has been a bit of a pet thing of mine for years. I basically grew up on the Bears of the 80s and Singletary. I have heard many times Buddy Ryan and others say that if it were not for Mike, that defense would have never worked the way it did.

For me, having a field general, coach on the field, whatever you want to call it, is huge. When Mike Brown was healthy, he was such a leader. You would see him back there calling out plays, but just as important, yelling to other players where they should be lining up, or to watch for something specific, or whatever. Other than Brown though, I have never felt we had a leader in the sense I would look for.

Urlacher has been our defensive captain, but again, he was always referred to as a lead by example guy. That is great, but just not the same as a guy who would make sure a young player near him would be in the right position, or let him know not only that he messed up, but how to correct it.

Brown, Wale and others have been similar. They have solid character. They show solid work ethic and they lead by example, but little more.

Briggs has always been a locker room guy, and the hope is w/ Urlacher out, he takes it to another level on the field, but I am not too optimistic. IMHO, either you have it or you don't. I do not believe you can make yourself that sort of leader. That is why I am so hoping Afalava may be that player. If he feels confident enough as a rookie to step into that role, what happens as he gains experience? That is an exciting question for me.

I may seem crazy but I thought in the last game Hily was pretty verbal especially when he had to call the timeout when it was obvious the defense was confused. His mild-mannered deme4anor disappeared during that moment and lead me to believe that he was not faking it for the cameras.

Oh, I would agree Hunter has leadership qualities. The problem w/ Hunter is (a) he isn't a good enough player to back it up, and thus I am not sure how long term he would be effective and (B) while nice for now, he isn't even a starter for us. Starting now due to injury, but otherwise is not considered a starter. Heck, I think there may even be question if he starts at MLB all year, or if the staff at some point goes w/ Williams or Roach (after Pisa returns) for the speed and athleticism.

So I agree Hunter is a leader, but I don't think that helps us down the road.

I may seem crazy but I thought in the last game Hily was pretty verbal especially when he had to call the timeout when it was obvious the defense was confused. His mild-mannered deme4anor disappeared during that moment and lead me to believe that he was not faking it for the cameras.

I totally agree about Briggs and Url. Url's always never been able to really say the right things... And lead by example is great and all... But, as you mentioned, sometimes more is needed. Birggs is now in that position to become the next great Chicago LB, as some will argue he may already be. But if he turns into the vocal leader...watch out. This could get interesting!

...and I'm thrilled to hear Molten Lava is rockin' it as a rook!

I totally agree about Briggs and Url. Url's always never been able to really say the right things... And lead by example is great and all... But, as you mentioned, sometimes more is needed. Birggs is now in that position to become the next great Chicago LB, as some will argue he may already be. But if he turns into the vocal leader...watch out. This could get interesting!

...and I'm thrilled to hear Molten Lava is rockin' it as a rook!

In my eyes Briggs will always have that weird accident scene hanging over his head but, He should be the vocal leader because he has that traditional grumpy Bears LB persona but he never really embraces the focus similar to the way Tommie Harris acts and Olin Kruetz. Harris for instance has basically went into clam mode because here locally he has not said much period and even the local Bears "All Access" shows know to avoid interviewing these guys. So most of their comments are made "Off the record".

Yep and it is why I wasn't so pissed when Urlacher got hurt. I thought it was time for a new voice and a new leader to emerge. Briggs is the best player on the D and is now fittingly the leader.

DBDB it seems to me that Urlacher seems like he is sitting on the crapper when he is being interviewed. AKA he is uncomfortable with the focus on him which is why he welcomed the addition of Cutler to the team to shield some of the media focus off of him. Contrary to what the much traveled Bobby Wade says.

DBDB it seems to me that Urlacher seems like he is sitting on the crapper when he is being interviewed. AKA he is uncomfortable with the focus on him which is why he welcomed the addition of Cutler to the team to shield some of the media focus off of him. Contrary to what the much traveled Bobby Wade says.

This great to hear him firing back but being respectful though in the same sentence. He has showed us for a while that he can lead by example out on the field and last week he definetely came to play as he was always around the ball and flying around every where and now he is being the "Mike Brown" that we have been looking for. For all the crap that we gave him about him holding out and everything all will be forgotten if he helps this defense get back to be that top 10 Defense even without Urlacher. That would be quite an accomplishment considering that last year we were ranked 25th.

True...it'll always be a punchline. We all know he got looped, wrecked the car, and bailed. He got lucky. But, as long as it doesn't happen again, I'll only really see it as a punchline.

Good points.

In my eyes Briggs will always have that weird accident scene hanging over his head but, He should be the vocal leader because he has that traditional grumpy Bears LB persona but he never really embraces the focus similar to the way Tommie Harris acts and Olin Kruetz. Harris for instance has basically went into clam mode because here locally he has not said much period and even the local Bears "All Access" shows know to avoid interviewing these guys. So most of their comments are made "Off the record".

True...it'll always be a punchline. We all know he got looped, wrecked the car, and bailed. He got lucky. But, as long as it doesn't happen again, I'll only really see it as a punchline.

Good points.

Without being a complete jerk if you relate his case to Reggie Rogers or Dante Stallworth he only tore up one of his own toys and nothing else.

Very true. Lucky man indeed... And who knows, maybe he wasn't plowed. Maybe he was just driving like Mario Andretti and ate it.

I just think of the former Cleveland Cavaliers player named Bobby Phils who was racing with a teammate(David Wesley) and at high speed crashed and instanly killed himself. That is why Lance is a lucky man because pictures of the vehicle looked horrific.

Guest TerraTor
Yep and it is why I wasn't so pissed when Urlacher got hurt. I thought it was time for a new voice and a new leader to emerge. Briggs is the best player on the D and is now fittingly the leader.

Thats rediculous. Urlacher was the face of the team. Briggs may be the best player on the D but seriously.

Thats rediculous. Urlacher was the face of the team. Briggs may be the best player on the D but seriously.

I actually agree with you. While Briggs might be the brighter guy in terms of saying the right stuff, you never want to see the face of the defense go down. That's like a Pittsburgh fan saying that they're happy with Polamalu's injury because he wasn't very vocal and now they'll have a vocal leader. Come on...

NFO if that is the case that sounds great. The secondary needs a vocal leader who can back it up with his play and so far Alfalava has done his part.

I watched the Pittsburg game again and came out very impressed with Alfalava. I'm not sure if he's going to be the guy that can "rally the troops" during Packers week. But, I loved how he played. He just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I think they credited him with four tackles. But, it seemed like he had more.

Still too early to tell. But, he just may be our replacement for Mike Brown.