Nothing against Cutler, but he was not the answer

JRCook79

Clearly cutler has the tools, and more natural talent than Kyle Orton. Fine. But bringing him into this situation, namely a mediocre to poor defense with no secondary whatsoever, and no personnel movements made to shore up the secondary, and the most predictable offense in the leauge, was doomed from the start. While everyone was overcome with man-crushes on Cutler, I found myself wondering: is he going to play cornerback? Orton and offense were the BRIGHT spot last year, ie the Falcons game, the Carolina game, the Bucs game, all of which the defense gave up leads at the end. Of all the parties involved, Cutler has gotten the worst deal career wise. He may walk away with 20mil guaranteed, but his career would be looking a lot hotter if he'd stayed in Denver.

The thing is, I think most Bears fans knew that short-term, Cutler wasn't going to win a superbowl with the team currently constructed. However, Cutler alone should make this team a playoff contender while it rebuilds in a better direction and hopefully 3 years from now we are talking about a super bowl caliber club and we'll have a super bowl caliber QB in his prime.

The thing is, I think most Bears fans knew that short-term, Cutler wasn't going to win a superbowl with the team currently constructed. However, Cutler alone should make this team a playoff contender while it rebuilds in a better direction and hopefully 3 years from now we are talking about a super bowl caliber club and we'll have a super bowl caliber QB in his prime.

Exactly. There's no way Orton would have made it this far already with the way our OL is pass blocking and run blocking. Cutler's feet make it possible to not get sacked on every play like Orton would if he was still here. Also, the lack of run game would be killing us if Orton was here.

BTW- Knox probably wouldn't be making this impact as a WR, and same with Hester and Bennett for the most part.

I'll put it this simply. As ugly as it is today, and w/ fans talking about blowing it up and rebuilding, most would also say we need to build around Cutler. If Orton were on the team, how many would be saying we should build around Orton?

Exactly. There's no way Orton would have made it this far already with the way our OL is pass blocking and run blocking. Cutler's feet make it possible to not get sacked on every play like Orton would if he was still here. Also, the lack of run game would be killing us if Orton was here.

BTW- Knox probably wouldn't be making this impact as a WR, and same with Hester and Bennett for the most part.

I'll put it this simply. As ugly as it is today, and w/ fans talking about blowing it up and rebuilding, most would also say we need to build around Cutler. If Orton were on the team, how many would be saying we should build around Orton?

I also think that from an offensive perspective, we are headed in the right direction. I like our 3 WR's, Olsen is young, Forte as well. Basically put on the offensive side of the ball I think we are alright with the exeption of the line.

That is a big if, but a couple good free-agent signings along with the development of a Chris Williams and Josh Beekman (maybe at C) could immediately improve this line as soon as next year. We'd still be in need of using some of our 2011 picks on the oline, but the reality is they could target one guy via FA as soon as this off-season and pick him up, if not two guys.

The Bears have money, especially when you factor some of the other changes that will come, specifically Vasher/Harris being gone along with Ogunleye and a few others.

At that same time, I can't think of anyone that we need to resign or due up for a major extension now that Cutler has signed.

On the defensive side there is also much to do, but we've put a lot of recent picks into the line so we can only hope that Marinelli can do what he does and that a rotation of Gilbert/Melton/Gaines Adams/Anthony Adams/Marcus Harrison/Mark Anderson/Alex Brown can do its thing and be a solid dline. If Gaines Adams or one of the pass rushers lives up to there hype we would instantly have an above average dline.

Plus, if we need at DT, there are usually quality veteran DT's available who we could pick up to play part of the time.

The secondary is a whole nother story, but the Bears have spent draft picks on Moore and they like Bowman. He's still raw but hopefully he can develop into something and than Tillman could potentially move to safety and thus strengthening our position there.

Plus look at how a Darren Sharper can move relatively cheaply. There is no reason the Bears couldn't go out and spend some money on a safety. Add a healthy Urlacher (while I am not a fan, right now he's our best option) and go with Roach/Williams on the outside and the LB corps is fine.

Basically put, the Bears can fix a lot of holes by spending money on 2 olineman, developing the Dline a bit, finding one more CB, and signing a safety. That wouldn't be out of the question.

Than you can use the 3rd round and later picks (maybe get a pick for a Tommie Harris) to hopefully fill some long-term needs (ie, draft some guards, a project tackle, maybe a safety, etc).

And next year's team will be better and than we'll have another off-season where we'll have our full round of picks where we can hopefully grab another impact olineman or an impact Dlineman or both (with our 1st two picks) and maybe go after an impact WR if we ultimately determine we need one.

Who knows though, we still have Iglesias there.

Basically put, FA will be a much more important thing for the Bears this year, but we don't need to sign 10 guys, realistically 2 bigger signings and one solid signing would be enough to fill some major holes so that the team couldn't be exploited and that we could really look to Cutler to maybe make us even better.

I basically think Cutler makes our team a couple wins better based purely on his talent. So if we have a 9 win team, we might have an 11 win team with Jay.

This team without Jay (and with Kyle) is probably a 6-7 win team. With Jay I still think they have a great shot at 9 wins, maybe 10.

I basically think Cutler makes our team a couple wins better based purely on his talent. So if we have a 9 win team, we might have an 11 win team with Jay.

This team without Jay (and with Kyle) is probably a 6-7 win team. With Jay I still think they have a great shot at 9 wins, maybe 10.

Jay is going to win us some games, but right now, we are a 7-8 win team with Jay, and probably a 5-6 win team with Kyle.

I agree with all of that. I'm just saying that a lot of people put blinders on after the Cutler trade, as if suddenly the Bears ailments would be cured. "Jay's offense will keep the defense off the field" was one I heard quite a bit. My point is that, to win this year, had they focused on getting some DBs, and maybe a number one receiver, we might be winning now, even with Orton. Also, if Loathie's training camp wasn't such a country club, maybe any number of players wouldn't be out for the year at this time. I've got nothing against Cutler. I just knew it wasn't going to be the difference.

I nice to see someone so positive...

Sorry to say, I'm not in your camp. We are far more than 3 signings away...unless those signings are 2 starting O-linemen from Minny...Troy Polamalu and Mario Williams. oops that's 4. We're still f'ed.

I also think that from an offensive perspective, we are headed in the right direction. I like our 3 WR's, Olsen is young, Forte as well. Basically put on the offensive side of the ball I think we are alright with the exeption of the line.

That is a big if, but a couple good free-agent signings along with the development of a Chris Williams and Josh Beekman (maybe at C) could immediately improve this line as soon as next year. We'd still be in need of using some of our 2011 picks on the oline, but the reality is they could target one guy via FA as soon as this off-season and pick him up, if not two guys.

The Bears have money, especially when you factor some of the other changes that will come, specifically Vasher/Harris being gone along with Ogunleye and a few others.

At that same time, I can't think of anyone that we need to resign or due up for a major extension now that Cutler has signed.

On the defensive side there is also much to do, but we've put a lot of recent picks into the line so we can only hope that Marinelli can do what he does and that a rotation of Gilbert/Melton/Gaines Adams/Anthony Adams/Marcus Harrison/Mark Anderson/Alex Brown can do its thing and be a solid dline. If Gaines Adams or one of the pass rushers lives up to there hype we would instantly have an above average dline.

Plus, if we need at DT, there are usually quality veteran DT's available who we could pick up to play part of the time.

The secondary is a whole nother story, but the Bears have spent draft picks on Moore and they like Bowman. He's still raw but hopefully he can develop into something and than Tillman could potentially move to safety and thus strengthening our position there.

Plus look at how a Darren Sharper can move relatively cheaply. There is no reason the Bears couldn't go out and spend some money on a safety. Add a healthy Urlacher (while I am not a fan, right now he's our best option) and go with Roach/Williams on the outside and the LB corps is fine.

Basically put, the Bears can fix a lot of holes by spending money on 2 olineman, developing the Dline a bit, finding one more CB, and signing a safety. That wouldn't be out of the question.

Than you can use the 3rd round and later picks (maybe get a pick for a Tommie Harris) to hopefully fill some long-term needs (ie, draft some guards, a project tackle, maybe a safety, etc).

And next year's team will be better and than we'll have another off-season where we'll have our full round of picks where we can hopefully grab another impact olineman or an impact Dlineman or both (with our 1st two picks) and maybe go after an impact WR if we ultimately determine we need one.

Who knows though, we still have Iglesias there.

Basically put, FA will be a much more important thing for the Bears this year, but we don't need to sign 10 guys, realistically 2 bigger signings and one solid signing would be enough to fill some major holes so that the team couldn't be exploited and that we could really look to Cutler to maybe make us even better.

I agree that Cutler wasn't the fix needed. The team had a lot more pressing issues that needed addressed. It did improve this team tho.

The team needed to draft players for the offensive line for years. instead they pretty much ignored it spending only one first day pick on an o lineman since Columbo. There were also more pressing needs in the secondary, then an upgrade at QB.

While the Cutler deal wasn't the pressing need, what exactly would have happened with the picks spent on him? Would it have been to fix the glaring needs on the oline? I think history shows they probably wouldn't have. Management and coaches here seem to think you can fill those positions with other teams cast offs, over the hill players, and counting on finding a gem in the rough.

It's just bad management and bad coaching.

I agree with all of that. I'm just saying that a lot of people put blinders on after the Cutler trade, as if suddenly the Bears ailments would be cured. "Jay's offense will keep the defense off the field" was one I heard quite a bit. My point is that, to win this year, had they focused on getting some DBs, and maybe a number one receiver, we might be winning now, even with Orton. Also, if Loathie's training camp wasn't such a country club, maybe any number of players wouldn't be out for the year at this time. I've got nothing against Cutler. I just knew it wasn't going to be the difference.

We might be winning, but I wouldn't say we'd be any closer to the superbowl. The reality is, great QB's win super-bowls. Very few average QB's win super-bowls and typically the teams that perennially contend for them have the top QB's in the league.

The Bears went out and got that and while they could have maybe won a few more games this year by spending there draft picks on other guys, long-term they'd be worse off cause we'd still have a team built around the aging defense and a solid, but not great or special QB.

We'd also still have a horrendous oline.

I nice to see someone so positive...

Sorry to say, I'm not in your camp. We are far more than 3 signings away...unless those signings are 2 starting O-linemen from Minny...Troy Polamalu and Mario Williams. oops that's 4. We're still f'ed.

I'm not saying next year fixes make us a Super Bowl Champion, but two good olineman would do a whole world of good to the offense. Not to mention a years more experience for Bennet, Hester and Knox is a plus and Forte will be fine when he gets healthy and has an improved line.

Defensively the team is a middle of the pack defense and that should be enough with the weapons above playing well to win 9-11 games every year. If the Bears get development out of there younger players, add a safety and put themselves in a position where they could focus on best available on the olines and defensive side of the football in the 2011 draft as well as add another free agent or two, we could be looking at 2010 as a playoff year, 2011 as an above average, potential super bowl year and 2012 and beyond as hopeful superbowl years.

The only reason Orton looks better than Cutler now is because he has a better coaches, better offensive line (Best in the NFL) and better receivers. Cutler threw for over 4500 yards last year with that offense, no way Orton is going to match that. Cutler is clearly the better quarterback but he looks bad now because of how bad the offensive line is. Without a good one, you can't run or pass.

I agree that Cutler wasn't the fix needed. The team had a lot more pressing issues that needed addressed. It did improve this team tho.

i have to vehemently disagree. cutler is a coup that will pay dividends for a decade unless we get him killed. there is no player more important and harder to find than a very good+ qb in his prime. it is almost unheard of to get one in a deal like we got.

our problems are us WASTING first day draft picks year after year. no team can compensate for that.

I follow. yes, 2 good OL will make a difference...

New coaching staff should also improve the team vastly.

I'm not saying next year fixes make us a Super Bowl Champion, but two good olineman would do a whole world of good to the offense. Not to mention a years more experience for Bennet, Hester and Knox is a plus and Forte will be fine when he gets healthy and has an improved line.

Defensively the team is a middle of the pack defense and that should be enough with the weapons above playing well to win 9-11 games every year. If the Bears get development out of there younger players, add a safety and put themselves in a position where they could focus on best available on the olines and defensive side of the football in the 2011 draft as well as add another free agent or two, we could be looking at 2010 as a playoff year, 2011 as an above average, potential super bowl year and 2012 and beyond as hopeful superbowl years.

I know this is mourning Monday but... Every other game we've looked fine, though not always impressive, save for the running game. One great game does not define us anymore than one terrible game does. And our terrible loss does not erase holding the our previous opponents to 21 pts or less in every game but the Detroit one where we blew them out anyway (and still only allwed 24, not 34 or 44). Those are facts, so you have to deal with them equally when you deal with allowing Carson Palmer a 147 QB rating and getting Forte only 6 touches.

I agree that giving up so much of our ability to use the draft to improve... to fix a position that was closer to being a strength than a problem looks questionable if we concede that the Bears are totally inept at numerous positions, and it's still worth debating, but I'm not convinced we're that bad. Do Alex Brown and Tillman suck? No. That didnt' stop them from having a bad game. What does that say? And our D-line had a number of sacks in the early season games.

Having said all that. I am a little worried about our coaching. When players perform that far below their talent, it's not encouraging. Maybe coaching will identify their problems and make significant improvements, or not. We'll see. As ridiculous as it sounds saying today, we've still got Minny twice, so we likely still hold our own destiny. How many remember how it looked like we had no shot last year and yet it still came down to the wire? The NFL can surprise you.

Offensivly, sure. Fix the OL and the offense could be pretty great.

On defense, I love the glass half full, but you are really (a) assuming some best case scenarios w/o any evidence to date and (B) you make no mention of the scheme.

(a) You throw out there a ton of young players we have drafted in recent years on defense, and while that is true, before you start to count on them for the future, I think we need to see something from them now. I can go along w/ Afalava, as he has shown some nice things and quick development in a short amount of time. The rest though? Staff likes Bowman, but so what. They love McKie too.

DE - We got Gaines, but what has he shown thus far (I mean career) to make you think he is a player we can count on. And don't even get me started on Melton.

DT - Harrison has only shown he knows how to find a buffet table. Gilbert can't even get active on game days.

LB - Roach and Williams have been getting their share of opportunities to step in and step up this year w/ the injuries to Urlacher, Pisa and Hunter, but thus far, I think our depth has not lived up to some hopes.

S - I'll give Afalava, but DM has not seemed to develop at FS any more than previously seen. Payne just isn't very good, and I am not sure Steltz even makes the team. Dude sucks.

CB - Yea, we got Bowman. Yea. He has been able to stay healthy so far, and has been burned pretty good. Moore? I read so much about this guy who should have been taken in the 1st round, and he can't even get active on game day. Graham is a player I really like, but the staff sure doesn't seem to share my opinion.

Yea, I get that we have more youth on the defensive side, but w/o more evidence of that youth developing, I question how much we can expect, much less count on.

(B) Frankly, it is my opinion that w/o serious changes at the coaching level, and scheme, there is little reason to hope for the defense moving forward.

Sorry, but we could have the best two CBs in the NFL, and they would look pretty weak. Our coaches would force them to play off the LOS, and then play zone, negating the effectiveness of a stud CB. Then factor our lack of pass rush, and few CBs are going to look good. That isn't to say I think our CBs are good, but only that I question how much better we would be if we upgraded at CB in the offseason.

If we added two stud CBs, and a stud WR, but Orton was still our CBs, I think we would still suck. Sorry, but w/ this OL, Orton would get destroyed. And w/ this pass rush, or lack thereof, any CBs would get beat, especially w/ our swiss cheese zone.

We looked fine every other game? Really?

On offense, our OL has been dreadful all season.

On defense, they have not been that good this year. other teams may not have taken advantage of our zone as much as Cincy did, but I would not say our defense has looked good.

This was a bad loss, but it is just one loss. Yes. At the same time, it sure didn't seem like a fluke. Many of the issues from yesterday were ones that we have been seeing, though maybe in smaller doses, in most games.

God awful OL play. Questionable decision making by Cutler. Absolutely no run game. No pass rush. Soft coverage. huge holes in the zone.

If the problems of the last game we new or isolated, it would be one thing, but they were not.

I know this is mourning Monday but... Every other game we've looked fine, though not always impressive, save for the running game. One great game does not define us anymore than one terrible game does. And our terrible loss does not erase holding the our previous opponents to 21 pts or less in every game but the Detroit one where we blew them out anyway (and still only allwed 24, not 34 or 44). Those are facts, so you have to deal with them equally when you deal with allowing Carson Palmer a 147 QB rating and getting Forte only 6 touches.

I agree that giving up so much of our ability to use the draft to improve... to fix a position that was closer to being a strength than a problem looks questionable if we concede that the Bears are totally inept at numerous positions, and it's still worth debating, but I'm not convinced we're that bad. Do Alex Brown and Tillman suck? No. That didnt' stop them from having a bad game. What does that say? And our D-line had a number of sacks in the early season games.

Having said all that. I am a little worried about our coaching. When players perform that far below their talent, it's not encouraging. Maybe coaching will identify their problems and make significant improvements, or not. We'll see. As ridiculous as it sounds saying today, we've still got Minny twice, so we likely still hold our own destiny. How many remember how it looked like we had no shot last year and yet it still came down to the wire? The NFL can surprise you.

i have to vehemently disagree. cutler is a coup that will pay dividends for a decade unless we get him killed. there is no player more important and harder to find than a very good+ qb in his prime. it is almost unheard of to get one in a deal like we got.

our problems are us WASTING first day draft picks year after year. no team can compensate for that.

Right on! If anyone thought we had a real chance going back to the SB while having a snowball chance in hell of actually winning it without an elite QB simply does not know what it takes to win in the NFL. Look at New England and Indy for recent examples (NY was a fluke and don't care for Eli at all but they had luck anf a great D last year).

Here is my point as we look at the Carolina Panthers. Not that long ago the Panthers were a perenial NFC favorite and were a force to be reckoned with while having a very good Def, ST, Running attack and WR's but nothing special at QB. Now they are getting old, need a QB and to rebuild on Def. One could also say that this describes the Eagles as well except McNabb is a real good QB not great. This is the direction the Bears have been heading down since before we lost in the SB 3 years ago. I truly believe the reason why Rex became so hated, not for the mistakes and inconsistent play but rather the false hope and let down at QB he provided especially when the rest of the team was Championship ready (D and ST).

Sure, I was very pissed at how the team played in Cincy especially with the way Benson tore us up. Bear fans I promise you it is not all doom and gloom either. This is the year to develp our young palyers on both sides of the ball. Like it or not it is very much needed in order for this team to get where we all want them to be sooner than later - elite. Along with my foam brick and tums I will choose to embrace this transformation process. As rough as it maybe at times I much rather sacrifice this year and maybe next for a chance to have a team 3 years from now that could be a major contender for several years to come. If you don't believe this than name 6 teams who have a real chance of winning the SB right now and then tell me who their QB's are? Please think about that for a moment......An even closer example in our own Division is the Vikings, who with an aging former elite star QB is night and day from last year and now a true contender from pretender.

After this season I expect management to cut the fat (Tommie Boy et al and ala Mike Brown) and begin building the one area we know this team is competent in is drafting defensive players and signing OL. We had a great off season this year and don't allow the Cincy game to spoil that. Instead let's enjoy the fact that a franchise stuck in 1950 offensively has entered into the new Millenium from an offensive stand point the day we acquired Cutler. You have all seen the long list of former Bear QB's and what that has meant - losing and mediocracy. I am tired of the latter and very optomistic moving forward and excited to watch this team to rebuild around Jay Cutler. This team is far from perfect but much further from Oakland, KC, Cleveland and Detroit. The OL play asside I really like the direction of our offensive unit as we have as good of a young talented group here ever. Believe it or not we also have some very good but raw talent on DEF as well. But another question may be wether our current coaching and schemes are good enough to takes us to the next level?

We looked fine every other game? Really?

On offense, our OL has been dreadful all season.

On defense, they have not been that good this year.

You're spinning.

We've looked "fine" on defense up 'til Cincy. You changing the wording to "not that good" is just an attempt to phrase it the most negatively. You can't argue with the scoreboard. Our defense had held teams to less than the league average.

There've been some good weeks and some terrible weeks for the OL, still, come on, picking just the OL to rip when the reality is we were one of the highest scoring teams in the league before Cincy is too convenient. I maintain my original assertion.

Have you been watching the games? The Bears may need a #1, stud WR, but that is about 10th on the list of needs.

If the Bears had concentrated on OL they'd DEFINITELY be winning now, because the QB/WR/TE combo looks pretty good behind a completely terrible OL, and the RB looked pretty great last year when the OL did more that imitate five zombies from a cheap B-flick.

I'll give you credit though...I will now refer to Lovie Smith as Zombie Loathie.

The team needed to draft players for the offensive line for years. instead they pretty much ignored it spending only one first day pick on an o lineman since Columbo. There were also more pressing needs in the secondary, then an upgrade at QB.

While the Cutler deal wasn't the pressing need, what exactly would have happened with the picks spent on him? Would it have been to fix the glaring needs on the oline? I think history shows they probably wouldn't have. Management and coaches here seem to think you can fill those positions with other teams cast offs, over the hill players, and counting on finding a gem in the rough.

It's just bad management and bad coaching.

Very interesting thought. I'm going to create a new thread entitled, "If the Bears HADN'T traded for Jay Cutler, and you now have 20/20 hindsight, what would you have done with the draft picks?"

Here is what I think Angelo would have done.

1st - Jerry Peria, DT - We know how Angelo loves DL, and the pick of Gilbert shows he was high on DT. Ayers, who Denver took w/ our pick is another option.

2nd - Mossaqui WR - I think the key reason we traded down was not having a 1st round pick, thus w/ taking DL in the 1st, I think he would have taken this WR in the 2nd.

3rd - Gilbert - I don't know if he would have been there or not, but if he fell to us, I think we would have taken him.

What I would have done.

1st - Michael Oher - I was very high on Oher, and from what I have seen, he has looked very good this year and would have been a huge upgrade to our OL, whether at RT or LT.

2nd - Loadholt - He is a RT that could have played inside as well. I would have loved to add this wide body. Levitre would have also been under consideration.

3rd - Iglesias - I was always very high on him, and though he has not developed as quick as I would have expected, this would have been my pick.

Very interesting thought. I'm going to create a new thread entitled, "If the Bears HADN'T traded for Jay Cutler, and you now have 20/20 hindsight, what would you have done with the draft picks?"

Here is what I think Angelo would have done.

1st - Jerry Peria, DT - We know how Angelo loves DL, and the pick of Gilbert shows he was high on DT. Ayers, who Denver took w/ our pick is another option.

2nd - Mossaqui WR - I think the key reason we traded down was not having a 1st round pick, thus w/ taking DL in the 1st, I think he would have taken this WR in the 2nd.

3rd - Gilbert - I don't know if he would have been there or not, but if he fell to us, I think we would have taken him.

What I would have done.

1st - Michael Oher - I was very high on Oher, and from what I have seen, he has looked very good this year and would have been a huge upgrade to our OL, whether at RT or LT.

2nd - Loadholt - He is a RT that could have played inside as well. I would have loved to add this wide body. Levitre would have also been under consideration.

3rd - Iglesias - I was always very high on him, and though he has not developed as quick as I would have expected, this would have been my pick.

Post this to the other thread! :)